Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-04-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
Doreturnonfoot

Default Nsw fire levy fyi

It seems that from 1/7/17 that Gladys will collect the fire services levy in Nsw via your council rates. This will be based on your land value.
However if you paid your insurance for 12 months in advance PRIOR to 30/6 then you do NOT get a credit for the fsl you have paid in advance as they reckon this relates to the financial year in which you paid it.

Then according to alan it is fairer;http://fireandemergencyserviceslevy.nsw.gov.au
Doreturnonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2017, 06:07 PM   #2
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Nsw fire levy fyi

Think of the greater good and suck it up, the system they are moving to is vastly superior and fairer.

Here in NZ we had the opportunity to do this recently and the powers that be squandered it.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #3
Boss 302

[QUOTE=Doreturnonfoot;5921641]It seems that from 1/7/17 that Gladys will collect the fire services levy in Nsw via your council rates. This will be based on your land value.
However if you paid your insurance for 12 months in advance PRIOR to 30/6 then you do NOT get a credit for the fsl you have paid in advance as they reckon this relates to the financial year in which you paid it.

Then according to alan it is fairer;http://fireandemergencyserviceslevy.nsw.gov.au[/QUOTE

So let me get this straight, the levy I will pay very soon.
For the renewal of my home insurance for 2017/ 2018, will be paid by me.
Then I have to pay again, because "they" say it is for the previous financial year?
Insurance policies, do not work this way, why should this?

And Alan Fels, the genius who was running the ACCC, thinks that is fairer?
What is he smoking?

He proved he was an idiot years ago, why is he still around allowing people to be ripped off?
Boss 302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #4
Doreturnonfoot

Yeah mate we all have to suck it up - those that pay insurance anyway. The fsl is about 20% of your policy (plus gst plus stamp duty) that you pay soon then again post 1/7/17 through your rates. I don't think canceling the policy come 30/6/17 will work as the fsl may not be refundable.

Not sure why the 100 odd thousand rfs and ses volunteers provide both their time and then still happy to get ripped off by this impost. This is why I stopped volunteering - got jack of paying tax on tax on tax + my time 'working' for the state govt for nothing.
Doreturnonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2017, 06:17 AM   #5
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

It was introduced in Victoria a couple of years ago and for good reason.

For those who don't know, one of the outcomes of the Bushfire Royal Commission was the understanding that funding (via the Fire Services Levy) was not only poorly managed and abused by the insurers but that it resulted in a significant loss of funding for the State fire services because of the percentage of households that were not insured (surprisingly high in a lot of country Vic) and thus not paying the FSL.

The new system ensures that all property owners contribute to the cost of operating the fire services with the amount of the contribution linked to the rateable value of the property. There are different rates set for urban and rural properties that reflect the different risk profiles and costs of providing the fire service.

The first year was a shambles with a lot of people getting stung twice as the insurers and councils couldn't get their acts together and I'm sure it will be as much of a mess elsewhere and don't believe that your household insurance will reduce by the value of the FSL because it probably won't.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: