Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 21-10-2006, 01:29 AM   #1
Mr_TX5
Starter Motor

Default 1988 Tx5 Help!

hey ppl, i'm new 2 the site but this is my prob, me and a mate put a deposit down on a 1988 TX5 Turbo and when we took the car 4 a test drive, it drove smoothly and it seemed excellent and revs no probs which is good BUT then once it hits 5000rpms the revs just stop and start dropping (redlines at 6000rpms) so then i shift it in2 2nd and then it climbs 2 4000rpms and again the revs stop and start dropping down and it does this in 3rd and 4th aswell but each gear the revs drop down by bout 500rpms eg, 1st Gear Stops Revving At 5000rpm, 2nd Gear Stops Revving At 4000rpms, 3rd Gear At 3500rpms & 4th At Just Under 3500rpms we werent gonna try 5th lol but yeh the car dealer told us it had a rev limiter, is this the truth or is he lying 2 us, cause we dont wanna pay the rest of the car off and find out its gonna cost us alot of money 2 fix, at 1st we believed him bout having a rev limiter cause we dont no much bout TX5's but 2 ppl i've asked think its weird the cars doing that and think that the engine might b stuffed and another 2 or 3 say that it sounds like it has gotta rev limiter........ so what is it a rev limiter or stuffed engine ???

Last edited by Mr_TX5; 21-10-2006 at 01:47 AM.
Mr_TX5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 11:31 PM   #2
gruelius
Starter Motor

My TX5 aint a turbo but i can rev the **** out of it :P

How about in neutural?

Get a mechanic mate to come with you, its worth it when getting a 2nd hand car.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:10 AM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelius
My TX5 aint a turbo but i can rev the **** out of it :P

How about in neutural?

Get a mechanic mate to come with you, its worth it when getting a 2nd hand car.
Yep try it in neutral. If it goes RPM hunting (revs go up and down) it might be the Air Flow Meter (AFM).

Does the car have an oil type aftermarket air filter? This is what played havoc with my AFM.

Even if it has a rev limiter it should limit the revs at the same level in every gear. Well that has always been my understanding.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post