Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 16-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
ellie
Starter Motor

Default 1989 Ford AT Telstar TX5 Ghia

Hi, I am thinking about buying a 1989 Ford AT Telstar TX5 Ghia hatchback 5dr Auto 4sp 2.2i from a friend but have very little idea of what I should be looking for.

I know that it has a lot of kms at 280000 and has recently had new brakes fitted.

My friend wants $1200 which according to 'Red Book' is a good price, but as it will be my first car I don't want to have to have the local mechanic's number on speed dial!

If anyone can advise me on whether or not this would be a good buy or what to look out for I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks

ellie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
sturty_tx5
elmo

heres what i suggest after having some problems with my own telstar of the same model. take it to a mechanic and for a small price they can check it for you. make sure they do a compression test on every cyclinder and cooling system, check the exhaust for leaks, make sure it idles smoothly, check the shock absorbers (soft is bad) and to a u turn with the steering at full lock make sure you do this on a right hand turn and left turn. if you hear clicking this indicates worn cv joints which is an expensive fix. check that all guages work and lastly make sure it was regualy service.
good luck
sturty_tx5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
ellie
Starter Motor

will do.... thanks so much for your help.
ellie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey mate I had the same car except in manual form with 269,000kms on it when I sold it. Check the CVs, the Airflow Meter (AFM) and the shock absorbers. I can tell you I got quoted about $500 just to get the rear shocks replaced!

Depending on when it was last done, you might be up for a timing kit. I had that done and also had to get the water pump replaced aswell. That's pretty much the only problems I had at that age.

The AFM was most likely boned only because I had an K&N oiled panel filter in my car though.

I own a 2003 WRX now and I can honestly tell you there are still times I miss my TX5 because it was such a good car
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post