Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2017, 10:16 AM   #1
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default 2018 Suzuki Jimny

What's this, they're maintaining the hardware of a proper 4x4?

Old 24-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2018 Suzuki Jimny

Had a sierra in the late 90s. Fun car, great on the the beach but scary on the freeway.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2017, 10:31 AM   #3
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You recognise many of the body panels as copy from this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_G-Class

For example look at the roof panel. Same gutters, same angle at the back.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon that looks pretty alright.
Unfortunately the Jimny is too small for me. I checked them out before I moved north west for work, and I could barely fit.

Loved the Sierra we had when I was a kid. It went everywhere our Landcruiser went, and a little bit further. Driving from Bowral to Sydney in it was a nightmare though. So loud.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

It's styling looks 30 years old. And hideous.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2017, 03:59 PM   #6
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

small, cheap, robust. perfect to tow behind a camper
I think its only competition was the Daihatsu Feroza

Why redevelop something that already fits the Criteria.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2017, 04:45 PM   #7
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate at work had one and loved it. He was well above average height and fitted in it OK as long as no one in the back. Daily driver and took it out fishing/camping.

It was sold after catastrophic manual gearbox failure outside of warranty. Apparently a very common fault of these (maybe not the new ones?) and very difficult to get parts for?

This guy wasn't someone to spend time/effort on anything which needed work or had previously failed, so had it repaired and sold it. It will probably would soldier on for another 20 years fine with little to no love ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2017, 12:18 AM   #8
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
What's this, they're maintaining the hardware of a proper 4x4?
They are as long as it's not IFS!
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

People really can't get enough of the whole "retro-styling" thing atm can they? Should be a good little 4x4 if it's anywhere near as tough as the old ones were.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #10
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
People really can't get enough of the whole "retro-styling" thing atm can they? Should be a good little 4x4 if it's anywhere near as tough as the old ones were.
Its probably people sick of the modern "melted plastic styling" of most cars these days
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #11
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They should also look at making a LWB model as well.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #12
sr71

Roof panel looks like a Falcon Ute EGR hard lid.
A few friends had these. Felt like a tin can on wheels. But probably had the structural integrity of a Meat Pie Foil base(if crashed). I was surprised how they wouldn't roll when taking corners at speed. I guess all the weight was positioned low, cause the sheet metal and glass wouldn't have weighed much.
Fun and cheap though, weren't they.
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2017, 12:10 AM   #13
Pilko FNQ

I had an LJ50 Suzuki as an apprentice in the 90's. No roof, no doors. Took the two stroke out and fitted a Datsun 1600 motor and 4speed and LJ80 diffs (100mm wider and 4:1 instead of 5:1 if I remember) Kept blowing rear drive shaft Uni joints so cut down a Torana tail shaft and machined adaptor plates.

Cut and spun around F100 Sunraysia rims to get enough clearance on the steering components and fitted them with 31 X 10.5 Kumho mud tyres. Was an awesome vehicle and went everywhere on land and under water ! Wish I still had it. It drank a 30litre tank of fuel very quickly however. 3000 rpm at 60kph and around 5000rpm at 100kph. That datto motor however would pull those revs all day without a problem. I'll have to find some pics.
Pilko FNQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2017, 05:14 PM   #14
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
small, cheap, robust. perfect to tow behind a camper
I think its only competition was the Daihatsu Feroza

Why redevelop something that already fits the Criteria.
Mate of mine bought one to tow behind his motorhome, I thought he was half mad at the time. Big old retired truckie with a spare wheel around his waist and 120kg. I have no idea how he fits but he does.

Loved it so much he bought another one for the farm. I reckon the original would have been towed around Oz at least half a dozen times, still going strong.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2017, 11:03 PM   #15
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Mate of mine bought one to tow behind his motorhome, I thought he was half mad at the time. Big old retired truckie with a spare wheel around his waist and 120kg. I have no idea how he fits but he does.

Loved it so much he bought another one for the farm. I reckon the original would have been towed around Oz at least half a dozen times, still going strong.
Does the odometer register kilometres traveled when being towed? Probably the older ones with mechanical odometers would.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #16
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it's confirmed, we'll be getting the new Jimny Sierra in 2019.
Suzuki Queensland currently have a survey asking for favourite colours and transmission so they can push for it when ordering stock. Apparently there's a lot of demand, so it's going to be limited numbers.
https://www.caradvice.com.au/664323/...lia-confirmed/

This is a great looking little car, and I'd love to have one.
I still think it'd be murder on the long trips, but it does have cruise control at least, and there's a lot of new safety features.

Throw on some muddies, a bullbar and give it a lift, it'll be an awesome little 4wd.

Jungle green or ivory for me.

2 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #17
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want the camouflage colour, everybody would think its a brand new model being test driven. I do not understand manufacturers thinking....'we have a brand new vehicle we need to test on the road, lets paint it the most noticeable colour possible
Old 28-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #18
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not really current on popular trends, what colours do hairdressers favour nowdays?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #19
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I'm not really current on popular trends, what colours do hairdressers favour nowdays?
Unfortunately like the Wrangler, this will likely attract buyers from different sides of the market. The posers who use them around town, because they are cute. And the ones who will use them primarily for what they are designed for.

For those saying it will be murder on the highway. Can’t be worse than a 70 series cruiser at 3x the price
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #20
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
That’s the great thing about these Sierra’s - a hairdresser driving her trendy Sierra off-road will probably leave most blokes for dead in their bigger trucks
My brother had a Sierra and Geezuz Christ could that thing go places. I see the new one has TC which will make it extremely capable off-road for its size/weight and wheelbase. Great to see it retain its 4wd heritage with solid diffs and 2nd stick.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2018, 10:32 PM   #21
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
For those saying it will be murder on the highway. Can’t be worse than a 70 series cruiser at 3x the price
We had a soft top Sierra back when I was a teenager. I loved driving it, and at the time sitting on the back seat doing 110 down the highway didn't bother me so much, but I suspect it would these days (not that I'd be in the back now).

I figure it's probably not going to be any noisier than the Navara or Courier we have at work. Both 5 speeds too.

But I have a lot of nostalgia for the Sierra, and a new highly capable 4wd for around 20k, I'd love one. But I think it could never be my only car. I'm about to drive to Brisbane and back again for a wedding. 2,700km round trip, and that's going to be brutal enough in the G6E.
But there's so much exploring I want to do out here, and one of these little fellas would be perfect, and for that stuff, my Falcon gets me nowhere.
Old 29-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #22
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It looks pretty cool in the conservative colours. I'm not a fan of the bright colours on this car.
I heard it's 4 speed auto? That seams a little dated, but for a simple off roader this would be a nice buy.
My brother had a 90's model, great car but the modern tech and more power will make it a much more pleasant drive on the road.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #23
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had one of the old 2 stroke Suzukis many years ago.
I used it mainly on the beach towing catamarans and stuff as well as driving to and from the pub. It was a great little 4wd and outdid the National Parks and Police Landcruisers on the island through the scrub and creeks. I had to pull them out quite regularly. They were a great little car and I thought the Jimny sorta got it wrong with the styling.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2018, 01:45 PM   #24
roKWiz
Cabover nut

My brother had one back in the early 80's did everything we wanted it to do, just was a bit cold in winter with the usually ripped and ill fitting soft top covers.
Down here I since see a few 70;s and 80's ones in use on farms.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2018, 03:02 PM   #25
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
My brother had one back in the early 80's did everything we wanted it to do, just was a bit cold in winter with the usually ripped and ill fitting soft top covers.
Down here I since see a few 70;s and 80's ones in use on farms.

They're an ideal farm vehicle!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #26
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
They're an ideal farm vehicle!
^^^ This.
Many moons ago I was driving the Truck and stuck in Cunnamulla as the road Nth out of town was dirt it was raining and being Blacksoil we weren't going anywhere.

Just for a giggle one of the local lads took me for a drive in his old Suzy Jimny. The first thing he did was drive into the middle of a paddock and stop, then put it in gear, turn around and drive back out.

He said that Farmers love them as they were so light it was near impossible to bog them, if the inside got too dirty they just opened the doors and hosed them out
Old 29-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #27
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
^^^ This.
He said that Farmers love them as they were so light it was near impossible to bog them, if the inside got too dirty they just opened the doors and hosed them out
The Subaru Brumby was a farmers favourite for similar reasons.

A mate had an early Subaru 4wd wagon he went away on a 4wd trip in the Otways in a group that had all types of vehicles Land Cruisers, Patrols, Hi Luxes etc.

They got to this very muddy section and the big vehicles got stuck had to be winched out. My mate just gunned the Suby, it floated across the mud and scrambled out the other side.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #28
.:4:.
Kicking back

I've always been under the impression the brumby was great for orchids and wineries because they were light and fitted between the rows of trees and vines.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2018, 08:19 AM   #29
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
That’s the great thing about these Sierra’s - a hairdresser driving her trendy Sierra off-road will probably leave most blokes for dead in their bigger trucks
My brother had a Sierra and Geezuz Christ could that thing go places. I see the new one has TC which will make it extremely capable off-road for its size/weight and wheelbase. Great to see it retain its 4wd heritage with solid diffs and 2nd stick.
Same thing with old air-cooled VW Beetle .. would go places most modern 4WDs wouldn't / can't as its basically light enough to be pushed / carried obstacles ... powerpack sits ontop of the drive wheels for traction, etc.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #30
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'd love one with a 2.0 6 speed manual and removable hard top... bring back the real vitara i say
i like this one, but i thinks its going to be $25k on roads so its not going to be cheap especially after you fit some mods like springs, tyres, bars, its going to be $30k min. once you get offroad
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post