Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 25-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
benryanau
Lurker
Donating Member3

Default 30-minute window limit on editing posts..

Yeah, that.. well, I reckon it's balls.
So long as an note is added to edited posts (eg Edited dd-mm-yy by xxxx: Reason: <reason>) showing they *were* edited, I can't see why edits are such a big deal.

They're certainly useful when maintaining a good info resource thread( esp stickies).. you keep the relevant info in first post, save making people wade thru pages of offtopic crap to get what they want.

I had a browser hiccup that resulted in a double post, I didn't realise till next day but when I tried to delete/edit the dupe I couldn't find the edit/delete button.
So I manually hacked around it by building a URL by hand (http://www.fordforums.com.au/editpos...postid=4562930) which is when I got the 30 min message.

Would you consider revoking the time limit on edits/deletes? If the forum comes crashing down in complete anarchy as a result then put it back on but I don't think anyone's going to mind.

Anyway thanks for putting the site up, there's a few others around but the more the merrier - and we'll see who's still here in a few years time

Cheers

benryanau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 30-minute window limit on editing posts..

has been discussed before and admin have chosen to leave it the way it is

will see if i can find the thread for you

Jason

*****EDIT*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
There is a very good reason why editing capability is restricted to a predetermined period of time (or why you can't delete at will) and that primarily has to do with continuity.

As it is a global setting, we need to ensure that history is a static thing and not changeable oitherwise some threads would be hard to follow after people made subsequent changes or deletions and FS threads would potentially be chaotic.

The current 20 minute period should be enough for fixing of minor errors but beyond that period then you'll have to seek the help of a mod or admin.

Regards
Russ
note the time for editing has been upped to 30 mins from 20 mins

if you need something edited after that time limit you will need to pm a mod or admin to have it fixed up for you

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Jason[98.EL]; 25-12-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: added a bit more info
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=thrasher=- View Post
Yeah, that.. well, I reckon it's balls.
So long as an note is added to edited posts (eg Edited dd-mm-yy by xxxx: Reason: <reason>) showing they *were* edited, I can't see why edits are such a big deal.

They're certainly useful when maintaining a good info resource thread( esp stickies).. you keep the relevant info in first post, save making people wade thru pages of offtopic crap to get what they want.

I had a browser hiccup that resulted in a double post, I didn't realise till next day but when I tried to delete/edit the dupe I couldn't find the edit/delete button.
So I manually hacked around it by building a URL by hand (http://www.fordforums.com.au/editpos...postid=4562930) which is when I got the 30 min message.

Would you consider revoking the time limit on edits/deletes? If the forum comes crashing down in complete anarchy as a result then put it back on but I don't think anyone's going to mind.

Anyway thanks for putting the site up, there's a few others around but the more the merrier - and we'll see who's still here in a few years time

Cheers
Some of us have been here a long time (since the site started in 2005, I believe) and find the ability to edit for a few minutes is convenient - 30 mins seems excessive to me, but I suppose is OK. Given this site has been here and going from strength to strength over the last few years, I'd say it will still be here for many years to come.
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

-=trasher=- as you have been here a long time, then you would remember that the editing time for posts use to be 5 mins!

If you need to update a thread, PM a mod or admin. As has been discussed by russellw, there is a reason for the time limit...and it is a good one!

As for we'll see who's still here in a few years time, anymore posts with your tone and my guess is, it won't be you.

Oh...and Merry Christmas!

Cheers
Col