Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Read poll question in first post.
Falcon 93 42.08%
Mustang 128 57.92%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #61
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Mustang for me. It's all about the style.

But I think they suit different customer types. The family man with a passion for fast cars or somebody that needs to ferry passangers will go the Falcon because it is a 4 door family car. People after a stylish coupe will go the Mustang. Australian's generally prefer a 4 door performance car.

Holden already discovered this with the SS Commy vs the Monaro in the VT-VZ years. The SS sales still far outweighed the Monaro CV8 sales.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #62
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_Strider_GuY
We have seen when Tickford back in the day when they did the operation for the Cobra mustangs back in 2002. The asking price of $85k was not recieved too well hence they stopped the operation.

I wonder if they priced the Mustang with conversion to around $55-60k, that it might be a good seller here.
It was the build quality vs the price that killed the Cobra. Why by a sports coupe for $80G that has worse build quality than a $30G aussie family sedan. For that price there was too much high end german competition so really it was only the small enthusiest market that snapped up the Mustang. There wouldnt have been a large enough market to keep it going beyond a special one off.

Saying that I wish the second hand prices of the Tickford converted Cobra's would drop a bit so I could buy 1!!!!

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #63
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new mustang looks good.
But it's a backward car compared to our falcons. no reach adjustment steering and a rear end with a live axle, ect :togo:
It would have to sell for less then a similar falcon.
It would be bad value for the money.
But you could fool others that it's the ant's pans. rad factor. :
But in driving it you would know it's backward and have to live with it. unless you were to stupid to know
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #64
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X
I'm intrigued.......where are you going with the topic Falc'man?
If I told you it might sway people's thought process when answering the poll question.
Old 16-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #65
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Falcon for me. I have always liked the 4 door performance cars.
Old 16-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #66
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

If the idea put forward by Falc'man would come to reality the differences between the Falcon and the Mustang would'nt be that much. They would share the same suspension, drivetrain and engines with very similar styling. The Mustang would effectively become a Falcon Coupe.

Still, I'd rather the Falcon.
Old 23-08-2009, 02:47 AM   #67
mustang70

If you're talking old I'll have both thanks. new, Mustang wins hands down
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 03:39 AM   #68
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
I find the Mustang borderline repulsive to look at

Would rather a Falcon
while not quite repulsive I tend to agree somewhat, the retro thing is neither here nor there in terms of styling....just looks plain awkward. Out of the current three pony cars, the camaro, challenger and Mustang, its the least successful in the looks dept IMO.... Just an opinion of course.

but back to the question, with the same underpinnings motor/trans etc.. purely based on how they look here and now for me its Aussie Falcon/GT hands down without a second thought.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 07:08 AM   #69
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hard to compare really. But the question I always ask myself is "which will put a bigger grin on my face?" And the answer to that question would be the Mustang. The 4.6 sounds so sweet in the Mustang, it looks great. I just hope the new 5.0 V8 sounds at least as good as the 4.6.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #70
XT302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For a while they were offered next to each other, although the price may have swayed some people.

I for one looked at the Stang for a while when buying my XR8, but after sitting inside the tiny /uncomfortable thing chose the XR8. I preferred the Stang for looks.
Old 23-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #71
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Hard to compare really. But the question I always ask myself is "which will put a bigger grin on my face?" And the answer to that question would be the Mustang. The 4.6 sounds so sweet in the Mustang, it looks great. I just hope the new 5.0 V8 sounds at least as good as the 4.6.
Your post below from another thread was another reason for starting this poll.
/From another angle, how would the majority feel about the Falcon being replaced by Mustang, and Taurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Americans just don't care about 4 door RWD sedans like Australians do. There is already a choice of them Cadillac CTS, Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Pontiac G8, Hyundai Genesis plus all the luxury imports and all of them really go unnoticed. If people are going to get a V8 here, it's going to be a pickup truck or a pony car.
Snow really puts you off buying a RWD car. If I ever see a Mustang driver attempting to drive in the snow, they are usually holding everyone else up, going really slow. So the new Taurus SHO makes a lot of sense.
Locally, the large rwd is now becoming a niche judging by the numbers sold in the FG range with the base XT model selling around 10%.
When the Falcon becomes part of the global picture, and I'm confident it will, it would have a budget closer to that of the Euros.

I still don't understand why Mustang was never made in RHD. The Mustang would have to be one of the most recognisable cars on the planet; the shape, the name, the V8, and they (Fomoco) keep it in LHD only? They don't need more sales?
Old 24-08-2009, 02:27 AM   #72
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stang looks super cool indeed , would definatley have one for a fun cruiser , but if i could have only 1 it would be our ozzy GT for obviouse reasons .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #73
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Excellent breakdown of costs associated with importing a pre-89 car from the U.S.  Very helpful to others and at least two other guys will use the provided info to make their dreams reality.. 

I test drove a 09 supercharged Saleen not so long ago and it was a beast, but so are the FPV GT's, especially with forced induction etc.

The main reasons why I did not purhcase a new Saleen even with the governments tax incentive was for the following personal reasons;
- I already have Ford Falcon GT which offers so much enjoyment. I did not think the Mustang was that much of a stand out, in comparison.
- Only comes in an auto which was lame, no performance modes etc..
- Although live axels etc claim better traction, I manged to fry the tyres of the line in the dry which did not make for a reliable quick car. Similar to taking off in the GT.
- Far too much plastic inside which looked super cheap.
- Left hand conversion did not sit that well with me.
- $170,000 too much, especially compared to what they are worth in the US.
- Rather buy old school styling than the new.
- Build quality suspect.
- I was really in the market for a Porsche.
GTP370 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #74
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

"I still don't understand why Mustang was never made in RHD. The Mustang would have to be one of the most recognisable cars on the planet; the shape, the name, the V8, and they (Fomoco) keep it in LHD only? They don't need more sales?"

I cant understand why fomoco doesnt make the Mustang in LHD and RHD, it could be sold all over the world (priced very competitively) Mustang is one of those cars thats known pretty much everywhere, why not take advantage of that? Even better, make the thing a truly world class competitor for the M3 etc

Imagine that: Ford Oz helps develop a global Mustang to pitch against M3 etc and a global G6ET/G8 to go against M5 etc...

Last edited by LeadFoot81; 24-08-2009 at 04:40 PM.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #75
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had the loan of a Tickford manual convertible when i was pondering over a new GT and i think the dealer thought it may sway my thinking. The wife and daughter loved it ( it was a convertible after all) but all i really liked was the noise it made. The interior was like something out of a Kia and even my short frame i found myself hitting my head on the door frame with the seat at its lowest. It drove reasonably well but give me the Falcon any day. Having said that i think the current hot stangs look the goods.
Cheers
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #76
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Your post below from another thread was another reason for starting this poll.
/From another angle, how would the majority feel about the Falcon being replaced by Mustang, and Taurus?

Locally, the large rwd is now becoming a niche judging by the numbers sold in the FG range with the base XT model selling around 10%.
When the Falcon becomes part of the global picture, and I'm confident it will, it would have a budget closer to that of the Euros.

I still don't understand why Mustang was never made in RHD. The Mustang would have to be one of the most recognisable cars on the planet; the shape, the name, the V8, and they (Fomoco) keep it in LHD only? They don't need more sales?
My thoughts are there should be some consolidation and globalization in the Falcon/Taurus/Mondeo. The 3 cars could be blended in to one, and sold globally.
Mustang and F150 should be globalized, and sold in RHD. They could even offer a 3.0TTV6 diesel in the F150 for Europe. Give these cars the right price, they will sell like hotcakes, it bugs me the LHD only thing. I think they used to sell so many of them in LHD that they didn't care. But you would think those days are gone now. GM and Chrysler seem to have similar mentality.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #77
GTP 290

Falcon for me unless the actually built the mustangs is australia for australia.
GTP 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #78
Dezza
Parts bin special

Gotta be a Mustang!

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #79
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

falcon - anything less than a 3 person carry and the wife says no

and its gotta have four doors, you know how annoying it is to let a kid out for any one of a thousand reasons in a two door? not practical if you have young uns (the stang that is)

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #80
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_Strider_GuY
We have seen when Tickford back in the day when they did the operation for the Cobra mustangs back in 2002. The asking price of $85k was not recieved too well hence they stopped the operation.

I wonder if they priced the Mustang with conversion to around $55-60k, that it might be a good seller here.
Dealers were still struggling to sell them at the 60k dealer demo mark IIRC.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 06:22 AM   #81
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInsider View Post
  • 3.7L V6 to be rated at 315 horsepower: Same as 2010 GT; 15 hp more than Camaro V6
  • No immediate plans for EcoBoost V6 Mustang due to small horsepower gap between EcoBoost and 5.0L V8 (365 vs 400)
  • 2011 Mustang GT to be rated at 400 horsepower, will get increase in 2012
  • 2011 Mustang GT to get 6-speed transmission and variable valve timing
  • 2011 Mustang GT Track Pack to include Brembo brakes
  • 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L V8, 6-speed, track pack, Brembo brakes ran even with 414-hp BMW M3, which is 200 lbs lighter, at GingerMan Raceway in South Haven, Michigan
  • 2011 Shelby GT500 to get Aluminum Block
  • Next special edition: 2012 Boss
Hot off another forum...

Why, oh why can't we get this???
Old 02-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #82
White_sr_taxi

after watching clarkson: good the bad and the ugly, id rather have a falcon v8, although is the rouch mustang... thats pretty nice... pardon my ignorance but is the rouch mustang available to the australian market? or import only?
White_sr_taxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #83
JClarke
Deaf Driver

No questions asked. (Not looking or leaning at the modern models thoo)
Old 02-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #84
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking at the current offerings I would have to take the falcon, a BF II Cobra or 302 GT perhaps. I cannot stand the shape of the new gen mustangs, I think they look horrid. However, if you asked me the same question with respect to a 65 - 68 fastback you would have a very different answer.
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #85
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace 347c
The mustang for sure. True sports car vs family car with a v8, no comparrison. If we were talking about a phase 3 it would be a different question though
Sorry to say but even the phase 3 was only a 'family car with a v8' to use your term.
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #86
dishpig
Only an xr6...

I'd say falcon but only because I love utes too much

TICKFORD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FPV
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #87
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
•2011 Mustang GT to be rated at 400 horsepower, will get increase in 2012
Falc'man, seems some people have overlooked this bit of gold! Sounds like DI will come for the new V8 in 2012 or late 2011 for MY2012. Although it is more pertinent to the 'coyote' thread.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #88
351ciofgrunt
Go Hard or Go Home

I want ford to bring out a falcon coupe
351ciofgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #89
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Falc'man, seems some people have overlooked this bit of gold! Sounds like DI will come for the new V8 in 2012 or late 2011 for MY2012. Although it is more pertinent to the 'coyote' thread.
I should have. It's just that next year's Mustang will be a bell ringer, and this thread is more about the stang than it's motor.

The 2012 upgrade isn't d.i. afaik.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #90
moodyxr
xr6

was a hard choice but it is my dream to rebuild a mustang