Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #211
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: NBN Fibre to the Node (FTTN) - What does it mean to us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
*shakes fist in anger at you*

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #212
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
My experience seems to the exception rather than the norm.

I placed the order with Internode (FTTN) on a Monday, they said the tech would be come past at 9am the following Friday, he was there at 8:50am, was done by 9:15am (after moving the pair over at the pillar and doing a check within the premises). The service was active half an hour later. I had an old modem on which I reflashed the firmware to enable VDSL functionality. This was mid July this year and I haven't had a single issue since.
Is that because internode Donald?

We might get nbn out here by 2050, even though fibre runs past the house we will be getting wireless. Thanks liberals.
Currently getting 1mb/s on adsl.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #213
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post

We might get nbn out here by 2050, even though fibre runs past the house we will be getting wireless. Thanks liberals.
Possibly, I think it has more to do with the fact that it is a business service.

This user likes this post:
Old 28-10-2017, 11:38 PM   #214
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks liberals , they'll cur off your chance at getting a decent 5g network that'll be better than their NBN so they can market that crap service to you with out loosing money
so to quote Trumpie

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2017, 09:42 AM   #215
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Well hello spinner lol, according to reports back in the day -

https://theconversation.com/news-cor...t-foxtel-16768

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #216
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #217
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

We're on fixed wireless and are pretty happy. We managed to get changed over from satellite. Our download speeds are always 45-50 and uploads around the 15-20 mark.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #218
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NBN is game of speed to the telcos, if your getting the best speed and are happy then there isn’t any need to upgrade. It’s done on purpose, remember ADSL, ADSL 2, ADSL2 +. If you want faster you have to pay for it but they all know that they can’t deliver the maximum that they are selling you, so you have to upgrade. Take me for example, I pay for the 100Mbps plan but I only get 23 and during the so called “Netflix Hours” it drops off to 10. When they have the ability to give me 500Mbps, in reality I’ll get 125 and during peak times I’ll get 50 but I’ll have to upgrade and pay for speed that I already should be getting now on the current plan I pay for. I remember years ago there was an Intel core chip used in several CPUs in computers, they all had the ability to produce the top CPU speed but they were internally throttled at different levels so that if you wanted faster then you had to pay for the next one up which had different throttling. It’s all about money and marketing and the NBN is no different.
Old 29-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #219
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
NBN is game of speed to the telcos, if your getting the best speed and are happy then there isn’t any need to upgrade. It’s done on purpose, remember ADSL, ADSL 2, ADSL2 +. If you want faster you have to pay for it but they all know that they can’t deliver the maximum that they are selling you, so you have to upgrade. Take me for example, I pay for the 100Mbps plan but I only get 23 and during the so called “Netflix Hours” it drops off to 10. When they have the ability to give me 500Mbps, in reality I’ll get 125 and during peak times I’ll get 50 but I’ll have to upgrade and pay for speed that I already should be getting now on the current plan I pay for. I remember years ago there was an Intel core chip used in several CPUs in computers, they all had the ability to produce the top CPU speed but they were internally throttled at different levels so that if you wanted faster then you had to pay for the next one up which had different throttling. It’s all about money and marketing and the NBN is no different.
Umm not quite. Going by your figure of 23, it would be safe to assume you're on a FTTN connection (VDSL, uses the phone line from your premises to the pillar, then onto the NBN cabinet) and that you're a fair distance from said pillar. There is nothing the NBN mob or your ISP can do to bump up your speed to match what you're paying for.

However, your ISP can pay to have enough CVC (enough data on the back end) to keep you at 23 all day every day. By the sounds of it, they aren't buying enough data to avoid congestion at peak times.

Old 29-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #220
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You are correct there isn’t anything they can do now. My points is, when they have developed the technology to give me more I will have to purchase a higher plan to more than likely get speeds I should already be getting now (100). What they should be doing is saying “we’ve now got the technology to give you what we promised you on your current plan so here you go, enjoy” but no, I’ll have to pay for it.
Old 29-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #221
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
You are correct there isn’t anything they can do now. My points is, when they have developed the technology to give me more I will have to purchase a higher plan to more than likely get speeds I should already be getting now (100). What they should be doing is saying “we’ve now got the technology to give you what we promised you on your current plan so here you go, enjoy” but no, I’ll have to pay for it.
The technology most certainly exists (fibre to the premises/home). If the NBN rollout proceeded as it was originally intended, you would have had a fibre optic connection that sat around 100Mbps for most of the day. Not only that, the technology behind the FTTP has provisions to increase the speed of your service to 1000Mbps. Yet Turdbull and Co thought it was best to cut costs.

In the end, most of the FTTN connections will need to be replaced due to aging copper and inadequate provisioning with a fibre solution.

2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2017, 08:55 PM   #222
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

So is there any benefit in putting a new line from the street to the house?
I ask this as I know that the line out the front has been cut and repair 3 times in the last 2 years.
They are just starting NBN rollout in my town, and it will be 2 years before it goes on.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2017, 09:00 PM   #223
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus View Post
I ask this as I know that the line out the front has been cut and repair 3 times in the last 2 years.
They are just starting NBN rollout in my town, and it will be 2 years before it goes on.
It isn't worth the cost Telstra will charge to lay a fresh line.

3 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #224
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
choice is yours to do so or not but if I went any were near this line of thought in be putting in a conduit so any time on its not a re dig just pull the new line thru and maybe place a cord inside as you do so , so they can pull the new line thru

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #225
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Take me for example, I pay for the 100Mbps plan but I only get 23 and during the so called “Netflix Hours” it drops off to 10.
What speed were you getting when you were on a 25Mb plan? (I assume you must have tried that, because there doesn't seem to be any logic in sticking with a 100Mb plan)
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #226
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
What speed were you getting when you were on a 25Mb plan? (I assume you must have tried that, because there doesn't seem to be any logic in sticking with a 100Mb plan)

No because the 100Mb plan has the more data and there will more than likely be some sort of algorithm applied where if I went to 25 I’d actually only get 12. Just like when I was on ADSL, 1.5 Mb actually gave me 512Kbs, switched to 3Mb plan and got 1.5Mb, switched up again to 20Mb and got 5Mb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 30-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #227
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
No because the 100Mb plan has the more data and there will more than likely be some sort of algorithm applied where if I went to 25 I’d actually only get 12. Just like when I was on ADSL, 1.5 Mb actually gave me 512Kbs, switched to 3Mb plan and got 1.5Mb, switched up again to 20Mb and got 5Mb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you're getting 23Mbps on a (up to) 100Mbps service, you'll get 23 on a 25 service.

Old 30-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #228
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
It isn't worth the cost Telstra will charge to lay a fresh line.
I agree, telstra would charge like a wounded bull
But you could use a private contractor instead of Telstra.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #229
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you're getting 23Mbps on a (up to) 100Mbps service, you'll get 23 on a 25 service.
Spot on.

NTF6, you will never get an actual throughput of say 25mbs due to the overheads in the protocol used to transmit data. Google ethernet overheads if your interested. Having said that, the overheads are not anywhere near the figures you quoted so doesn't explain your issue totally.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2017, 10:09 PM   #230
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I’d also like to know this because the last time the Telstra bloke got in the pit right at the bottom of my driveway he said the cables had so much water and corrosion on them but all he did was replace a few joints and no body knows that there is a second pit under my second paved driveway that has never been opened since I’ve lived here and that’s 20 Years. I only found it because it had started to sink and when I pulled up the pavers there was the Telstra pit.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:00 AM   #231
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But you could use a private contractor instead of Telstra.
nope. lead in cable belongs to Telstra for now and NBN once the area goes RFS. Only the carrier staff can replace the lead in
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #232
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I’d also like to know this because the last time the Telstra bloke got in the pit right at the bottom of my driveway he said the cables had so much water and corrosion on them but all he did was replace a few joints and no body knows that there is a second pit under my second paved driveway that has never been opened since I’ve lived here and that’s 20 Years. I only found it because it had started to sink and when I pulled up the pavers there was the Telstra pit.
It would depend on the state of the cabling, I would expect the only way to find that out is for a cable test to be performed.

Not sure if it's been explained in this topic but multiple things affect your speed on NBN. Wholesalers such as Optus on-sell internet bandwidth for a given area to RSP's (who we buy internet access from). If those RSP's don't but enough bandwidth for an area, you'll get slow internet links regardless of the speed you purchase or the technology (FTTN, FTTP) and this appears to be a common issue with the NBN rollout, especially with keenly priced plans.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #233
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8 View Post
nope. lead in cable belongs to Telstra for now and NBN once the area goes RFS. Only the carrier staff can replace the lead in
my lead in cable currently wouldn't be worth much.
Out side the boundary it is only 100mm below the surface and no conduit.
Straight in the dirt.
Doesn't look too good for NBN upgrade.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #234
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Today is the first time since connecting to the NBN that we had a crap day. Very, VERY slow to load pages or nothing at all.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #235
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Umm not quite. Going by your figure of 23, it would be safe to assume you're on a FTTN connection (VDSL, uses the phone line from your premises to the pillar, then onto the NBN cabinet) and that you're a fair distance from said pillar. There is nothing the NBN mob or your ISP can do to bump up your speed to match what you're paying for.
Really, what about this little gem taken directly from the literature supplied with my contract?

"A Very Fast Speed Boost is available for an additional $20 per month
on the nbn network or a Super Fast Speed Boost for an additional
$20 per month for Cable or $30 per month on the nbn network
(except on nbn Fixed Wireless). Your bill will show an additional
charge each month for your speed upgrade until you cancel it."

Obviously the ability to throttle or boost speeds is very real, I'll go back to my original statement and that is that "NBN is game of speed to the telcos" driven by a price that you have to pay if you want faster speeds.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:26 PM   #236
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
Spot on.

NTF6, you will never get an actual throughput of say 25mbs due to the overheads in the protocol used to transmit data. Google ethernet overheads if your interested. Having said that, the overheads are not anywhere near the figures you quoted so doesn't explain your issue totally.
I see all the Telstra bundles have changed, you cant even get a 25 or 100 plan anymore. What they list for all the plans is "15Mbps Standard Evening Speed, typical minimum speeds between 7pm-11pm".

Their plans are now based around data volumes.

Even when I log into my Telstra account, the details of my original NBN contract have changed to just a "medium plan" no mention of the 100Mbps I signed up for.

And today this, well well:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/on...574ac25650fe2a
Old 09-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #237
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I see all the Telstra bundles have changed, you cant even get a 25 or 100 plan anymore. What they list for all the plans is "15Mbps Standard Evening Speed, typical minimum speeds between 7pm-11pm".

Even when I log into my Telstra account, the details of my original NBN contract have changed to just a "medium plan" no mention of the 100Mbps I signed up for.

Lol.

Why has it taken them so long?
This joke has been going on for years.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #238
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Just had a look at the new pricing structure, a more realistic way of portraying the service for the average user in my view. They offer peak time speed boosts, my guess is those speed boosts are achieved by applying a Quality of Service (QoS) through the complete Telstra network your data travels on, sorta like a dedicated lane for you in peak hour traffic as opposed to throttling users.

In reality I suspect they still have the speed tiers:

standard - peak 15mbps/off-peak 22mbps (25mbps originally)
boost 1 - 30/45 (50mbps)
boost 2 - 60/90 (100mbps)
Old 20-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #239
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Slow NBN: TPG the latest telco to compensate thousands of customers

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-2...speeds/9275336

Quote:
he number of customers who will be compensated for their slower-than-expected National Broadband Network (NBN) speeds has reached nearly 60,000.

TPG is the latest telco to admit its likely breach of the Australian Consumer Law (ACL), by misleading almost 8,000 customers on the maximum speeds they could reach through its NBN plans.

This follows Optus' announcement last week that it will compensate more than 8,700 NBN customers who received less than they bargained for.

Both networks pale in comparison to Telstra, which will offer compensation to around 42,000 of its NBN customers.

For almost two years, TPG advertised its, "Seriously Fast Internet. Up to 100 Mbps".

But its customers achieved speeds which were anything but seriously fast.

TPG's premium plan was meant to offer maximum download speeds of up to 100 megabits per second (Mbps), and maximum upload speeds of up to 40 Mbps (100/40 Mbps).

The ACCC has revealed 62 per cent of TPG's FTTN (fibre to the note) customers on that plan (7,509 people) were unable to reach such speeds.

Furthermore, 28 per cent of those customers (2,088) could not even reach half of that speed.

"The technical limitations of NBN's fibre-to-the-node technology meant many TPG customers could not reach the advertised 100/40 speeds they paid for," ACCC chairman Rod Sims said.

"Some couldn't even get half those advertised speeds.

"TPG charged customers higher prices for the promise of faster speeds, misleading many customers into paying a premium price for a service they could not get."

TPG has provided a court-enforceable undertaking to the ACCC, detailing the remedies it will provide to affected customers.

Customers will be entitled to get refunds, transfer to lower-speed plans, or exit their plans without incurring penalties.

TPG will contact its affected customers by March, next year.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #240
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Really, what about this little gem taken directly from the literature supplied with my contract?

"A Very Fast Speed Boost is available for an additional $20 per month
on the nbn network or a Super Fast Speed Boost for an additional
$20 per month for Cable or $30 per month on the nbn network
(except on nbn Fixed Wireless). Your bill will show an additional
charge each month for your speed upgrade until you cancel it."

Obviously the ability to throttle or boost speeds is very real, I'll go back to my original statement and that is that "NBN is game of speed to the telcos" driven by a price that you have to pay if you want faster speeds.
I missed your post initially.

I'll use myself as an example. During the provisioning process for the NBN connection, the various software tests suggested that the speed I'd get was somewhere between 60 and 100 Mbps download, with a 20-40 upload. This was based on the logical path the line took to the pillar and NBN cabinet. As it turns out, Telstra ran the line via Apollo Bay and as such, the max speed is 41Mbps down, 11 up. I was fortunate enough that someone at Internode had sense enough to check the line length before I committed to the service. As such, I'm paying for a 50/20 speed service. There is nothing anyone can do to improve that short of re-routing the line via the logical shortest path (which other services are routed along).