Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-04-2015, 11:59 PM   #61
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 
Default Re: NBN Fibre to the Node (FTTN) - What does it mean to us?

NBN IS only as good as the modem on the end of it ...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2015, 07:05 AM   #62
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitrack_1 View Post
Burnz,

Yes, but the part I damaged was outside (the end of) of the conduit. Sorry I didn't take a photo to show you.

Agreed more flexible, not subject to corrosion, short circuits, etc. But somewhat more delicate to crimping damage, at least in my experience.

OK, must be the 1GBit LAN connection I was referring to. But the connection from the 1Gbit LAN to the router (and phone?)is via network cable (CAT5/6), which would be copper? That's all I meant...

Ahhh, thanks, that makes sense. I assume one of the boxes does the conversion from analogue signal to the digital/IP so 'normal' phones can be plugged in? They don't have a special phone, just 'normal' DECT phones.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Now it's just for me to pay the bill to have it fixed...
Firstly, you opened a box that you have no right to open and you damaged the fibre. Sorry, that is no ones fault but yours. You shouldn't touch anything you don't know about and the fact you broke it proves that.
A commercial patch lead inside a premises is a lot less likely to be damaged than kms of twisted pair cable in the street. Fibre isn't affected by lightning, corrosion and other factors that affect copper, and while copper jointing is faster, you won't have 1000 pair fibre cables requiring jointing which means fibre jointing of a typical cable will be quicker.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2015, 10:23 AM   #63
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got both NBN and Netflix and it takes approx 3 - 5 secs to load any Netflix show/movie.

When I speed test my NBN connection it averages about 97 mb per sec...

My download spees peaks around 15 - 18 mb per sec

I'm with iinet and pay $13 per month for Netflix and Netflix is not included in my monthly data allowance.

I pay about $60 per month for top iinet NBN

I also have the house completely networked (4 panels, 1 pc 3 laptops, 3 tablets, 3 phones) via Hills Hub and a NAS.

Here's my wireless speed from furthest wifi point from router in upstairs back room. testes on my Samsung Note 4

Last edited by vevapower; 13-04-2015 at 10:29 AM.
vevapower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #64
Ruination

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
NBN IS only as good as the modem on the end of it ...
Wrong.
With NBN you don't need to attach any "Modem"
NBN provide you with a futureproof box called the Network Termination Device (NTD) mounted to a wall inside your house (typically in your garage) and is fibre all the way. Optic Fibre cabling is capable of 10.3125Gbit/s data transfer speeds.

In all honestly, our 100Mbit/s connection speeds are whimsical to what its actually possible.

Last edited by Ruination; 14-04-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Ruination is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #65
Ruination

Done via Wifi also.
If connected straight to the NBN NTD. it sits on 99/39.
Old 14-04-2015, 08:57 PM   #66
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruination View Post

Done via Wifi also.
It's at this point I go outside, look to the heavens and scream, damn you Malcoml Turnbull, damn you to hell for your rape of the nbn we could have had.
5 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2015, 07:35 PM   #67
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
but thats what they do best now solutions rather then looking forward. By the time fiber to the node is finished they will have to dig up all the ******* copper lines from the node to the houses anyway how ******* stupid can you get.
I think you will find the difference between FTTP and FTTN is that FTTP has fibre from the telephone exchange to the house where FTTN has fibre to the Node and still uses the copper cable from the exchang(main cable) to the cross connection point (Pillar)then goes through the Node, back to the pillar and then on the cable to your house (distribution cable).
Old 15-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #68
Ruination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruination View Post

Done via Wifi also.
Found out that test was done when my brother was downloading something.

Here is a test via WIFI, with no interference from other PCs

Old 15-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #69
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
I think you will find the difference between FTTP and FTTN is that FTTP has fibre from the telephone exchange to the house where FTTN has fibre to the Node and still uses the copper cable from the exchang(main cable) to the cross connection point (Pillar)then goes through the Node, back to the pillar and then on the cable to your house (distribution cable).
Nope
FTTN has fibre from exchange (actually pop) to node then copper from node to house.
Old 15-04-2015, 09:23 PM   #70
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8 View Post
Nope
FTTN has fibre from exchange (actually pop) to node then copper from node to house.
FTTN does have fibre from the exchange to the Node but it is used for the speed. They still have to have the cable from the exchange through the Node and then to the house.
Old 16-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #71
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

So pretty much FTTN is going to shorten up your copper cable length?

In my case its about 2000m of cable to my exchange (roughly), the node is out on the street so it may reduce that to say 250m?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2015, 06:13 AM   #72
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

In my case its about 2000m of cable to my exchange (roughly), the node is out on the street so it may reduce that to say 250m?
The copper length will stay the same. In basic terms the Node boosts the signal to get your speed on the copper pair.
Old 16-04-2015, 06:58 AM   #73
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:

Yes. Your copper run will be significantly shorter. Which is essentially the same as the Tophats that telstra have been dotting around the place in the past years anyway.

Old 16-04-2015, 07:20 AM   #74
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
Yes. Your copper run will be significantly shorter. Which is essentially the same as the Tophats that telstra have been dotting around the place in the past years anyway.

Top Hats, ISAMS & cabnets are all fibre fed but are totally different systems to NBN.
I do not know the complexities of the FTTN system but what I do know is that the copper from the exchange will still be used at this stage.
I know this as I have been installing cables from the pillars to the Node cabnets for the last 2-3 mths.
Old 16-04-2015, 07:32 AM   #75
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Top Hats, ISAMS & cabnets are all fibre fed but are totally different systems to NBN.
I do not know the complexities of the FTTN system but what I do know is that the copper from the exchange will still be used at this stage.
I know this as I have been installing cables from the pillars to the Node cabnets for the last 2-3 mths.
The pillars have both the main cable from the exchange which won't be used any longer as well as the distribution cables to the houses that will be used. Based on the sizes of many DAs, there will also be nodes installed away from current pillar locations.
FTTN will not use copper from telephone exchanges.
What exactly do you think the copper from the telephone exchange would be used for?
You may be dragging cables in from pillar to cabinet but that doesn't mean you know what is going on.

Last edited by devilcv8; 16-04-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 16-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #76
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yep. The same crappy distribution cable that a majority of faults are in will remain. Telstra are jumping for joy because they get 2 bites at the cherry, 1 to sell the cable to NBN, then a second bite to maintain the copper, because after all, who has the staff who can maintain it?
Then you have the 60,000+ cabinets about to sit outside people's properties with the power, batteries and other associated crap.
Old 16-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #77
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The pillars have both the main cable from the exchange which won't be used any longer as well as the distribution cables to the houses that will be used. Based on the sizes of many DAs, there will also be nodes installed away from current pillar locations.
FTTN will not use copper from telephone exchanges.
What exactly do you think the copper from the telephone exchange would be used for?
You may be dragging cables in from pillar to cabinet but that doesn't mean you know what is going on.
You are right, I might not know whats going on but when you have a cable for feed and one for return what do you think the feed cable is going to connect to.
Nodes will be at every pillar and extra nodes & pillars installed depending on the distance from the existing pillars.
Did you ever think that mabye you do't know how this system actually works.
Old 16-04-2015, 09:50 AM   #78
Binny

We have been connected to one of the Telstra "Top hats" for about 2 1/2 years. For 12 months before that we were living off mobile internet and being told no ports were available.

When it was announced that we were going to be one of the first two areas in SEQ to get NBN Telstra dropped leaflets saying they were making ADSL2 available (Top Hats). I bent over and took out a contract with them as living off mobile internet was painful. As the cabinet is nearby its been pretty good, initially I was getting 24Mbit line sync, now its around 18-19 and I get at least 16 download speed consistently. For the second half of last year it was woeful during peak, dropping to about 2Mbit but it is consistently 16 now any time.

The other half of my suburb that already had cable got FTTP over time, then the federal election happened and my half got wiped off the roll-out map. Later we were marked as "ground works are under way". I just checked recently and we are again wiped off the roll-out map completely. On the map my development area is surrounded by NBN and we are a blank hole in the middle. If you go by the map even the bushes and the empty paddocks have NBN haha. I suspect at some point our top hat will be renamed as FTTN and that will be it. I hope not but I become very cynical about the whole thing.

My boss lives in a decent established suburb in the north side of Brisbane. His house is an existing house that has had ADSL before, his neighbours currently have ADSL2. Every company he tries with comes back and says no ports are available. After months of arguing with Telstra about what they are going to do about it they have told him they will not be able to do anything for at least 2-3 years! They have obviously put a spending freeze on any new infrastructure because of the NBN even if that suburb is not getting it for years. What a joke.

Last edited by Binny; 16-04-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #79
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I'm confused lotus. Are you saying that Fibre to the Node is actually Copper to the Node? If so, how is this not just PSTN?
Old 16-04-2015, 05:30 PM   #80
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok I will try to explain this system as it stands now. As I said before I don't know the complexities of FTTN as I am not an expert. There are people smarter than me who design these things.
As far as I am aware all internet ( what ever that may be) will feed through the fibre to the node and then go through the pillar to your house. But most of us have a normal phone service (dial tone). For whatever reason (technically or regularty) the fibre will not support dial tone so therefore the main cable from the exchange has to provides this. I believe if you have a line that does not have dial tone (naked DSL, ect) your line will come through the fibre. If the lines from the pillar are further than approx 450mts a new pillar and node have to be established to provide the speed wanted by NBN.
At a later date when dial tone can be supported by the fibre then the main cables will become redundant.

As for the cable from the pillar to the house. Think of it as when you buy a second hand car. You want a certificate that states this car is of a acceptable condition for it to be used on the roads.
NBN will also want some sort of certificate from Telstra that this network will accept the systems it wants to provide to the customer.

As for Telstra maintaining this part of the network. NBN & Telstra are two seperate companies so Telstra will have win the contract for the maintance.

As I said at the start this is how it is now but with technoligy advancing so quickly who knows where it will go.
Old 16-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #81
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You are right, I might not know whats going on but when you have a cable for feed and one for return what do you think the feed cable is going to connect to.
Nodes will be at every pillar and extra nodes & pillars installed depending on the distance from the existing pillars.
Did you ever think that mabye you do't know how this system actually works.
I know there has been a lot of conjecture on how voice is going to be provided under the FTTN mess, however http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/...fact-sheet.pdf clearly indicates fibre from exchange to Node then copper to pillar and house.
If they do go down this path then Telstra cant decommission any of their exchanges, and that is something Ill be very surprised if they let stand.
Old 16-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #82
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

As for Telstra maintaining this part of the network. NBN & Telstra are two seperate companies so Telstra will have win the contract for the maintance.

As I said at the start this is how it is now but with technoligy advancing so quickly who knows where it will go.
There aren't too many companies around with the nationwide reach and the required skills of Telstra.

As for the big point about whether or not FTTN will be providing analogue voice service via the UNI-V ports on the NTD, I guess we have to wait for the first live FTTN areas.
All media releases and publicity only talks about the "last mile" being copper. Nothing about the "first mile".
If you are correct, then Malcolm Turnbull has sold us an even bigger pile of crap than first thought.

At least we can all agree FTTP meant no more copper.
Old 16-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #83
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I know there has been a lot of conjecture on how voice is going to be provided under the FTTN mess, however http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/...fact-sheet.pdf clearly indicates fibre from exchange to Node then copper to pillar and house.
If they do go down this path then Telstra cant decommission any of their exchanges, and that is something Ill be very surprised if they let stand.
They could eventually decomission main cables where FTTP is being used. That is when they can run all all services over fibre. Telstra have more than just phone lines running through their cables.

Like I said until fibre can support dial tone for the FTTN main cables are here to stay.
Old 16-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #84
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They could eventually decomission main cables where FTTP is being used. That is when they can run all all services over fibre. Telstra have more than just phone lines running through their cables.

Like I said until fibre can support dial tone for the FTTN main cables are here to stay.
FTTP meant no copper was required for a normal telephone service. One of the uni v ports is used for each line. FTTN can do it, but it is more complicated and is where the discussion is happening.

Further reading has identified that the areas in Telstra' part of the FTTN trial is where the copper from the exchange is being used, ie cable in and cable out.
Old 17-04-2015, 03:14 PM   #85
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Gosford and most of the central coast has no copper line's, pulled out sold to simms metal.
I have fiber to the exchange, that has fiber to Sydney/melb/bris.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 01:07 PM   #86
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know how Telstra can think that that two customers paying the same money but 1 getting 2Mbs download speed and the other getting 96Mbs is acceptable...!!!!
Old 18-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #87
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
I don't know how Telstra can think that that two customers paying the same money but 1 getting 2Mbs download speed and the other getting 96Mbs is acceptable...!!!!
I think you'll find their answer will be that the cost is for the data limit because that's really the only consistent thing they've got control over and can be a constant.
Old 22-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #88
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple6 View Post
I think you'll find their answer will be that the cost is for the data limit because that's really the only consistent thing they've got control over and can be a constant.
This is why Australians are the worst for pirating movies and TV shows, crap speeds that have trouble streaming standard definition video and until recently a lack of decent sources for legally purchasing online content.
Old 22-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #89
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just my 2c on FTTN vss FTTP (I am in FTTP area - please ignore any bias)

The fastest NBN offers at the moment is 100mbps
Copper can easily deliver this.
Cat6a/Cat6e can do 100 times that speed over 100meters.
Unless we get NBN speeds ten times faster, then there is no advantage to FTTP in comms speed.
The only time I go anywhere the 100mbps is running speedtest - even with 4 streaming TV channels, I do not see a limit.

Yes, FTTP is technically superior, and much better future proofing.
But your average punter will not even notice the difference - until 4k TV streaming is the norm - currently most streaming users do not even use HD (IMEO).

It is quite likely that we will hit the life expectancy of the copper before we max it out in terms of transfer speed.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #90
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post

It is quite likely that we will hit the life expectancy of the copper before we max it out in terms of transfer speed.
Without even going into the short sightedness of the FTTN where over 60,000 cabinets are going to be sat outside people's homes, the power consumption of them as well as the batteries in these cabinets that will need to be replaced every 5 to 10 years, where getting fibre extended from a node to your house at $$$ will not allow the speeds that a FTTP fibre will allow, the biggest issue is the limits of the copper will be hit within 5 to 10 years.
Think how short a time ago it was that dial up was screaming at 56k and well pittied those stuck on 33-6k modems. Then ISDN was avai
Able and speeds of 128k was available. Then ADSL, and before long ADSL2+ was out. The copper in the ground is the weak link yet Telstra have managed to, by hook and by crook, keep it going. The design of the FTTN is going to mean that FTTP in those area will never happen.
It would be better to roll out fixed wireless into the area that have no broadband services now rather than drop these nodes in.