Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 19-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #61
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

One things that everyone needs to remember, Stock from the factory 1300kg, With that much power off the mark and 14" 185 i think was the tyre then is pretty hairy stuff. When you drive one in the wet you learn to know the car, I had 5 in myn going to the footy took a wide corner a little to Sharpe with the steering @ about 40. in dry it's a 60 corner if confidant, And the rear slipped out by about 25-30cm. I got remoulds that don't help but 215. In the dry they are glue in the wet very hard useless tyre.
But I'll be out soon to fix most of that new tyres and suspension work coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb5speed
bah ill still say that i have never been worried when going up againt a vn-vp
Maybe they didn't know you were dragging them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes_meat
My stock as a rock VS auto definately feels dead in first gear. Especially compared to the VN/VP's. It definately accelerates quicker once it's going, bit it just doesn't get off the line properly. I wonder if a manual conversion would do the trick?

It feels like it doesn't start making any real power until higher in the rev-range in second gear. Between 3500rpm and redline it really is quite quick.

Still does 0-100kmph slightly faster than the figures say it should.

The other strange thing about my auto box, is it will not upshift if the wheels are spinning - and I've had a few other people tell me the same thing about their VS's. May have something to do with Holdens desire to reduce wheelspin.
To fix that you could try a V8 throttle body and maybe a 2500rpm stall converter, Might be cheaper then a conversion.
One thing i remember about my time with a VS was on the open road is was very quick. My mate has a VSII Auto Ute on gas and it doesn't have the same problems as the sedans do it's very fast off the mark no delays in power at all, He has spun it 4 times in the wet and he drives like a snail. which is strange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Yeah my VL manual feels like that.

Well not exactly dead, just not that quick in first, but once I go into 2nd, it really wakes up.

Thats what everyone has said, that has driven it.
My nephew fixed that in my sisters VL Calais. Spent about $2000 on LSD3.9 they did something to the tranny for faster shifts and a engine tune which gave it 145kw. It would light the rears up with ease which is probably why he crashed it :
Old 19-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #62
oneredED
need more boost

The VP's are quick for what they are, I'll admit that. My brother has one, stock as a rock wagon with 340,000km (original motor), and did a 15.9 quarter. That may not sound impressive at all, but with a 60' time of over 2.8 seconds, it's not to bad. The 185 tires were so bad, he was chirping 2nd to 3rd change at nearly 100kmh and leaving 2 lines (I have video proof).

I driven every commodore V6 except the alloytec's, but only a few in manual form, I'd have to agree and say the VP's are the fastest.
VN series one's feel faster, due to less balancing, no bellmouth in the intake, and less sound deadening.
VR's; use essentially the same engine as the VP's, but are slower in my experience, they feel heavier but i dont know the specs.
The VS's do better than VR's with the Ecotec, not quite as fast as the VP's, but it's close.
The VT's with the ecotec just bog down with their soft IRS, and never recover...

Most auto variants I have driven, die after around 70km/h, they dont have the mid range torque like the same aged falcons IMO. Once 140km/h is reached the EB/D/F falcon should be past the commodore, or at least hauling it in at a hefty rate of knots...
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
Old 19-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #63
Beetus
Now drifting a falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredED
The VP's are quick for what they are, I'll admit that. My brother has one, stock as a rock wagon with 340,000km (original motor), and did a 15.9 quarter. That may not sound impressive at all, but with a 60' time of over 2.8 seconds, it's not to bad. The 185 tires were so bad, he was chirping 2nd to 3rd change at nearly 100kmh and leaving 2 lines (I have video proof).

I driven every commodore V6 except the alloytec's, but only a few in manual form, I'd have to agree and say the VP's are the fastest.
VN series one's feel faster, due to less balancing, no bellmouth in the intake, and less sound deadening.
VR's; use essentially the same engine as the VP's, but are slower in my experience, they feel heavier but i dont know the specs.
The VS's do better than VR's with the Ecotec, not quite as fast as the VP's, but it's close.
The VT's with the ecotec just bog down with their soft IRS, and never recover...

Most auto variants I have driven, die after around 70km/h, they dont have the mid range torque like the same aged falcons IMO. Once 140km/h is reached the EB/D/F falcon should be past the commodore, or at least hauling it in at a hefty rate of knots...

cheers mate thats the best reply weve had, good stuff
Old 19-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #64
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Still doesnt change the fact, that the old 3800 is a rattle box full of clangs and sound like a bogan slapping his thongs together.
Awesome ... Sig material!
Old 19-05-2006, 09:50 PM   #65
Beetus
Now drifting a falcon

lol thats cool
Old 19-05-2006, 10:04 PM   #66
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More holden drivers than ford ones here.

Older commodores (VB-VS) suck (even the 8's), I dont even bother now ... Not worthy of my fuel :nutsycuck
Old 20-05-2006, 02:03 AM   #67
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredED

I'll agree with all in speed, The VT is a slug it's big and had the same power as the VS. VN's were just ruff cars to drive down low they even sounded different to drive.
With the ecotec they fixed many things that were problems in the earlier V6's, Such as fuel issues manifolds piston slap low down roughness it was a big upgrade. That engine was a much quieter running smoother accelarating engine, Just not as fast even with more power.
I was recently in a VYII i was thinking of buying one so we went for a drive in it was very quite and smooth and felt like it had more of a push you back in the seat feel, but all new car do that and they go slower.
But with my car it's a quite one, I have recored it driving out the driveway past my PC Mic, It's that quite you need to have the volume on full just to here it right. My car i bought about 12 months ago of my brothers close friend, He has had it for almost all it's life he bought it off a rich kid, He's parents bought it decked it out with sound system and he didn't want it he wanted a HSV. So my brothers mate bought it. And he used it at first like a normal car but about 3-4 years ago when his wife had it at work someone tried to steal it, they broke the steering column off and tore half the stereo out, Realised they couldn't steal the car and left it, It still has the marks from them braking in to it. Anyway from that day on his wife wouldn't take it to work again, So she got the VS Statesman V8, And he took the VP to use in his work, It's funny the statesman was the work car and the VP was there get around car till that day. then he towed some heavy crap behind it as he was a bricklayer. I'm talking 2000kg or more i have never seen a tow bar like the one i have it's built into the rear of the car it's a monster.
So for about 16 months straight it was the tow car it even towed his big boat. Then one day they went away with 5 guys and towing the boat they could smell some petrol, It went through about 70litres in 200 km on the highway. They found out it had been leaking from the fuel rails and done 2 injectors. He had them fixed second hand of course. And the fuel from that day on was nothing but shocking. So about 3 months later he bough a new VY Commodore. And his wife drove that and he sat the VP in the backyard because it was costing to much in petrol to run (I know that now) And used the Statesman again for work. It sat in his backyard for 7 months when my brother seen it and said what you doing with it wanna sell it my brother needs a car. And it's now all history it picked me i couldn't say no i got mates rates $1700

But i will vouch for it's speed over 140. It's a long story but I'll make it fast and short.
One day going on the freeway i took off form the lights, There is a second entry to my right as we took off and started to turn the corner a VQII Statesman V8 came flying to my side sideways and almost T-Bone me and took off like a bat outta hell. I seen Red, And chased his down onto the freeway, So at about more then the speed you were talking about he finally got off the throttle and i zoomed around next to him and abused the hell out of him, And when later i car-med down i though i keep ed up the rear of a V8 statesman : I was shocked as much as he was that i was right there behind him.
I read somewhere when holden built there motors for the VP some had 20-30 more RWHP then others, Much the same thing happen with my brothers EFII that was rated @ 171 fwkw fully stock thats more then the factory. It happens all around. What do they say dont buy a Friday car or Monday only buy a middle of the week car it's done right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
More holden drivers than ford ones here.

Older commodores (VB-VS) suck (even the 8's), I dont even bother now ... Not worthy of my fuel :nutsycuck
Thats not very nice my mother owned a VB 79 model was the best most reliable car we ever had never once broke down on us never left us stranded anywhere. Was as solid as a rock and bloody great to drive.

Last edited by Full Spectrum; 20-05-2006 at 02:19 AM.
Old 20-05-2006, 03:03 AM   #68
5L
[ 5L ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden

Maybe they didn't know you were dragging them
nah they were all mainly mates, the fords when equipped with a manual gearbox, are alot more impressive than any vn-vx holden ive been in.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 20-05-2006, 06:50 AM   #69
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Well the manual fords have a big advantage over the ford auto's.
But the VN-VP's the auto might just have a edge there over the manuals.
My sisters VL Calais felt faster then my car. So one day after weeks of bitching between the 2 of us we decided to find a nice long bit of road and settle it.
As we rounded the corner we took off from about 20kp/h. I was sitting behind my nephew and we took off, Straight away on kickdown i was almost in the boot. straight Off the power and that hurt all the way for the next 17 sec i was closing on him and was starting to pass then we stopped. He said he beat me i think not.
So we did a little one about 3 days later again i was behind but this time i had room to pass as before i had no way of passing as the road in the middled of no-where barely 1.5 lanes till further down.
So this time it was different up to 120 i went from behind to in front by 4 car lengths. Just goes to show you how bad getting off the power can hurt. This was with my old tranny to so getting of the power with that old one meant it wouldn't kickdown again above 50..
Even the VYII i went in felt faster and i know i could cream that easy.
Even my mums friends VT feel like it puts you in the seat more, My mum told me one day Josie's cars feel faster she is always on and off the peddle you know them ones rev up slow down rev up slow down. I think i could beat a VT with only 5 cylinders:P

I have no problem with quick over tacking around town at all. But on the freeway the dreaded 5 speed auto (i'll explain) restricts it somewhat dropping down gears. It's a 4 speed but on the freeway when you get over 85kp/h the torque converter kicks in and acts like a 5th gear it changes and you feel the shift like a gear change it's scary when you count it like WTF 5 gears?. So on the freeway it first needs to unlock it and then pick the gear. This can be fixed by flooring it hard but it will drop back to 2nd first and then into 3rd and pull away. It's all because of the locked torque converter. Shift kits and higher torque converters might help. Not that it stops me overtaking at all, And i know it's only there for economy and it really drops the revs low @ 100. I sit on 1700rpm on @ 100 1800rpm @ 110.
Old 20-05-2006, 10:55 AM   #70
tquarrell

I think you'll find there's been little if any difference between falcon and commodore 6 cylinders since vr onwards. Before that, I think someone quoted 15.5 for a vp and 15.7 for a vn, which is pretty good, but those are manual times, and an ea s pac manual did 15.4 so they're always pretty close. Lately the cars have been getting heavier and slower, except for BA. I know the BA's are heavy, but I've seen stock manual xt's run sub 15, the mags quote 15.23 so even the base model new cars are only slightly quicker. Extractors and exhaust make any car go faster, so comparing stock with modified isn't fair and a waste of time. The extractors and exhaust some people buy are worth more than the entire engine!
Old 20-05-2006, 11:04 AM   #71
macca_779
Turbine Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb5speed
nah they were all mainly mates, the fords when equipped with a manual gearbox, are alot more impressive than any vn-vx holden ive been in.
So true. Manual makes a huge difference to the pace of E series falcons. And will certainly be quicker than a V6
Old 20-05-2006, 04:14 PM   #72
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VP's can be quick. Mine would have cracked a 12 easy. But that had 355 cubes under the bonnet. Handling was great in the dry. But very twitchy when out of shape in the wet. As for the V6, great for taxi's...
Old 20-05-2006, 04:18 PM   #73
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourBarrel
As for the V6, great for taxi's...
Or testing state of the art car crushing machines. :
Old 20-05-2006, 04:55 PM   #74
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
VZ SV6 is the fastest N/A V6 so the times say, Even the Alloytech 175 hasn't done the VN-VP times.
i have taken one of those in my stock AU auto on more than one occasion, jumped me from the line till half way through 1st, then its all me right through to 100km/h. havent tryed anything beyond that. i dont think the SV6 is all that special.
Old 20-05-2006, 05:04 PM   #75
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Cannot believe that this crap is still going. (no disrespect intended to all those have posted)

Post it on the other forum, they will appreciate the modern motoring marvel that is the VP.

Who cares if it's got a throttle like a micro switch, it still has the dynamics of a partly filled water bed.

Please no more on VP's, Vns or any other poss.

Let this thread die in piece.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 20-05-2006, 05:11 PM   #76
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your not gonna cry are you tex...
:
Old 20-05-2006, 05:19 PM   #77
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourBarrel
Your not gonna cry are you tex...
:

I have been since I first saw the thread !!!!

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 20-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #78
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Vp commodores, , yes , , , for a $2000 pile of total rubbish, , they are quick.

AC/DC
Old 20-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #79
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol...
Old 20-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #80
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC

AC/DC
Would that also mean setting it on fire and pushing it off a cliff? lol
Old 20-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #81
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
i have taken one of those in my stock AU auto on more than one occasion, jumped me from the line till half way through 1st, then its all me right through to 100km/h. havent tryed anything beyond that. i dont think the SV6 is all that special.
the sv6's have rediculously tall gearing - they arent too hard to beat in stock form i have been told. I dont know, i have never raced one but dont think i would have probs either. Im not a huge fan of any holden 6
Old 20-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #82
Beetus
Now drifting a falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Cannot believe that this crap is still going. (no disrespect intended to all those have posted)

Post it on the other forum, they will appreciate the modern motoring marvel that is the VP.

Who cares if it's got a throttle like a micro switch, it still has the dynamics of a partly filled water bed.

Please no more on VP's, Vns or any other poss.

Let this thread die in piece.

oiii we r tryin to have convo people like have to come along and say that . dont like it go sumwhere else.
Old 20-05-2006, 08:49 PM   #83
Group C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
BAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!
GOLD mate!!!!
Old 21-05-2006, 12:37 AM   #84
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tquarrell
I think you'll find there's been little if any difference between falcon and commodore 6 cylinders since vr onwards. Before that, I think someone quoted 15.5 for a vp and 15.7 for a vn, which is pretty good, but those are manual times, and an ea s pac manual did 15.4 so they're always pretty close. Lately the cars have been getting heavier and slower, except for BA. I know the BA's are heavy, but I've seen stock manual xt's run sub 15, the mags quote 15.23 so even the base model new cars are only slightly quicker. Extractors and exhaust make any car go faster, so comparing stock with modified isn't fair and a waste of time. The extractors and exhaust some people buy are worth more than the entire engine!
Mate the 15.5 was a Auto VP time. But the fastest 100 time is the manual. But it's very close. VP Auto 0-100 8.03. VP Manual 0-100 7.98. I'll need to check the manual time to be spot on as I'm not 100% sure on that time but it's about that close.
I believe that with the BA XT manual. Something the manual wouldn't have is the Autos 1300rpm limited take off. Rev it up and let it rip in the manual.
Ford has always had a bigger gap between there manuals and autos over holden. Until the XR6T which is faster in a Auto.

For my car it is fully stock minus the pod filter my brother gave me from his EF, I really don't feel a performance jump with or without it as to me it makes a better exhaust note and gives off a little supercharger whistle over 2500rpm thats it. I'm looking at getting a exhaust system in June.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
I think you would have done the 175 even with 5 in the car It's really just a stop gap i think till the VE.
I seen a SV6 the other day with a old well built;) man. I thought he was a cop he had 3 aerials on the back window and 1 on the front, Something on the window above the dash some type of TFT screen. And it had a sport system also (First i have seen with one), The old boy got into it hard when he left and trust me was more impressive then i expected, But it was the sound i liked very surprisingly nice, And no induction noise, But i do believe it was a 06 model, Something has been done there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC

AC/DC
Market vaule is $4900;). Ask AMMI.
Old 21-05-2006, 09:47 AM   #85
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Market vaule is $4900;). Ask AMMI.
Market value, Schmarket value. Does'nt change the fact that you can offer a bunch of yobo's a pack of winnie blues, a lukewarm cask of goon, 65cents and some food stamps to get a VN/VP.
Old 21-05-2006, 09:49 AM   #86
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Market value is nothing unless you write your car off. I wish I could sell mine for market value which through my insurer is just shy of $10,000.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 21-05-2006, 10:08 AM   #87
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

market value is not what they are worth, i can pick up a vs berlina done 130k for $3200.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 21-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #88
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
market value is not what they are worth, i can pick up a vs berlina done 130k for $3200.
You think thats good? I can pick a VN/VP commodore for free! It involves 2 minutes, a coat-hanger and a paddle pop stick.
Old 21-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #89
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
You think thats good? I can pick a VN/VP commodore for free! It involves 2 minutes, a coat-hanger and a paddle pop stick.
And that's doing it the hard way!
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 21-05-2006, 10:31 AM   #90
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most owners leave the keys in the ignition.
Closed Thread