Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-05-2020, 08:53 PM   #1081
zilo
BANNED

Default Re: Australia housing bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
So didn't have a good time on "the Island" (which one, Mainland is too) so Hobart is ****.

Ok.

It's fine to disagree but may I ask where you went in Tasmania?

mate, I reckon he went to the caravan park in Devonport.

Sweet spot that...watch the ferry come and go...piece of god's heaven for 45 bucks a nite...pet friendly too...indoors!
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-05-2020, 09:06 PM   #1082
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
mate, I reckon he went to the caravan park in Devonport.

Sweet spot that...watch the ferry come and go...piece of god's heaven for 45 bucks a nite...pet friendly too...indoors!
Ha!

Yeah it's a pretty bizarre opinion (Ibut again yep, each to their own) so you may be right.......
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2020, 09:29 PM   #1083
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Melbourne and Sydney are both hotspots for international tourists and students, cosmopolitan cities that their attractions are arts, culture and cuisine.

s.
/rant

yeah...full of metrosexuals with white ballet shoes, smashed avocado.

all those cool things that urban parasytes do..
"Kinda like, sort of, you know" makes me wince...

A bit like that song.....

"Women's football,
Vegan Pies,
labradoodles and
Hyundais"

Just doesn't do it for me, prolly cause I fart, eat meat and voted no to homo-sexual marriage.

So Sydney and Melb not for me...

rant/
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2020, 09:46 PM   #1084
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
/rant

yeah...full of metrosexuals with white ballet shoes, smashed avocado.

all those cool things that urban parasytes do..
"Kinda like, sort of, you know" makes me wince...

A bit like that song.....

"Women's football,
Vegan Pies,
labradoodles and
Hyundais"

Just doesn't do it for me, prolly cause I fart, eat meat and voted no to homo-sexual marriage.

So Sydney and Melb not for me...

rant/
I got abused at the cafe across the road from the office for refusing to bring a keepcup in, an up close in my face lecture about being a ***** and killing the environment from the female cafe owner

Greens electorate though.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2020, 09:49 PM   #1085
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I got abused at the cafe across the road from the office for refusing to bring a keepcup in, an up close in my face lecture about being a ***** and killing the environment from the female cafe owner

Greens electorate though.
Next time mention the soot coming from your cars exhaust (you still have the Diesel, don't you )
Old 29-05-2020, 09:53 PM   #1086
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Next time mention the soot coming from your cars exhaust (you still have the Diesel, don't you )
Yeah I already made sure to mention that I have illegally modified diesel and V8 cars with the emissions crap removed
4 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2020, 10:03 PM   #1087
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah I already made sure to mention that I have illegally modified diesel and V8 cars with the emissions crap removed
Rollin coal FTW
Old 29-05-2020, 10:44 PM   #1088
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Yeah- I shared a small 2 room bedsit n Coogee with my wife when we first got married, back of a large house owned by a greek couple. One of the sons was paraplegic and brain damaged, drove a v8 while drunk and no seatbelt and crashed and paid the price.

Even back then 22 years ago -catching a bus down Oxford Street to work in CBD some parts were grimy. Recently went to Bondi and was shocked how moribund it all was.

But saying that the cliff top walks and interesting beaches like Bronte, Tamarama are stunning and quaint. I also have fond memories riding a lid over the back of a guy in large surf at Maroubra beach and was put out when he told me to go to the F n kiddies beach- when I got out I walked up to where he was standing and was about to give him a gobfull when I saw he was with 3 other large looking blokes who had these weird tribal looking tats, and something in my gut said let it go.

Pleased I did now I know about a certain group there.

But although some parts of Sydney is crappy and moribund, you cannot deny it's beauty, from the craggy eastern suburb beaches, to Mosman and North heads, to the stunning beaches of Avalon, Whale beach, Barrenjoey etc. Then you have the Blue Mountains as the amphitheatre.

It is beauty and the beast all in one. Funny you talk about cockroaches, I shared a terrace in Randwick for 8 months and I was scared to go up and turn on the kitchen light at night- the walls were literally moving and warping like a scene from Inception- only it was live roaches....
i think Sydney has some beuitiful landscapes , waterways and harbour, there's no question. but living in sydney, well thats another thing. imo its a big rat race, and there are many rats. road rage,bad drivers, too many people are happy to "get one over on you" . not an easy place to live.

imo, the further from sydney its more pleasant, friendly,helpful, polite etc,etc.

i guess its a bit of a trade off, in different living styles.

personally i,m not a city, it does my head in.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2020, 10:59 PM   #1089
MercuryT
Banned

Regardless of beaches etc the ^ is spot on.

That's why Tasmanians don't leave (unless for better (none) or better opportunity.......then when skilled come back so our population stays about the same)

I love all of Aust but yeah, affordable quiet life close to work is underrated.
Old 29-05-2020, 11:06 PM   #1090
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
i think Sydney has some beuitiful landscapes , waterways and harbour, there's no question. but living in sydney, well thats another thing. imo its a big rat race, and there are many rats. road rage,bad drivers, too many people are happy to "get one over on you" . not an easy place to live.

imo, the further from sydney its more pleasant, friendly,helpful, polite etc,etc.

i guess its a bit of a trade off, in different living styles.

personally i,m not a city, it does my head in.
I've grown up in regional Victoria on the rural fringe of Melbourne, something that I like about Melbourne is that everyone blends into the 5 million people on their way about the city and you're essentially anonymous and people keep to themselves, you might be in an apartment complex but you'll never know your neighbors or the others in the building aside from awkward elevator/lobby chats unless you make a real big effort.

I've had people in my driveway looking through our trailer, ogling my car at the front of the driveway or notes on my cars and knocks on the door from neighbours wanting me to do electrical work on their caravans for free when I've only had greetings with them when they were walking their dogs but through the grape vine they knew I was an auto electrician.

I had a small business in a regional town 25km from home a couple of years ago, I used to make an effort to drive all my customers home/to work/train stations etc if they lived/worked locally when they dropped their cars off so you end up knowing a heap of the locals and a bit of their stories so naturally if you cross paths they're interested in a quick chat.

You'd go have a meal at the pub and people coming up for a friendly chat, I don't mind but sometimes you just want to go about your business or enjoy your night out and be low key.

I remember my business partner cracked the ****s at someone in the local pub because they saw us and came over and wanted to start talking about car problems, I don't mind but the business partner wasn't real happy after getting out of the workshop and being unable to enjoy his night.

I got recognised earlier this year at a pub in inner Melbourne suburbia around the corner from work when someone whose E36 3 series we fixed years ago had moved into Melbourne

I've never had blues as I'm generally pretty friendly - you never know whose going to be on a jury
Old 29-05-2020, 11:17 PM   #1091
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

As an Adelaidean, I LOL at the bickering between all you East coasters.
You guys, as smart as you are, haven't worked it out yet, Adelaide is the place to be.
Small city, improving infrastructure, cheap housing and perfect weather 99% of the time.

Where else can a 21yr old who worked part time for KFC from 14.5 until 19 own his own brand spanking new town house for $240pw only 35 minutes from the CBD?
Honestly, think about how far you can travel from any of those CBD's in 35 minutes and tell me what $225k buys you.

And when we want a weekend away in any of your cities we can fly there in under 2.5hrs for next to nothing.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2020, 11:23 PM   #1092
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
You guys, as smart as you are, haven't worked it out yet, Adelaide is the place to be.
Small city, improving infrastructure, cheap housing and perfect weather 99% of the time.

Where else can a 21yr old who worked part time for KFC from 14.5 until 19 own his own brand spanking new town house for $240pw only 35 minutes from the CBD?
Honestly, think about how far you can travel from any of those CBD's in 35 minutes and tell me what $225k buys you.

And when we want a weekend away in any of your cities we can fly there in under 2.5hrs for next to nothing.
Adelaide is my holiday destination, I'm usually there every Easter but COVID-19 threw a spanner in the works this year.

Very clean city, no toll roads, super easy to navigate and you have reasonably priced food (mains under $40 in O'Connell Street in North Adelaide!)

Gets a bit warm though, wouldn't say perfect weather

I don't really want to spend more than $400K so I'm either going further regional, 1 bedroom skybox prison cell in Melbourne or Adelaide suburbia/skybox.

Job isn't the worry for Adelaide its the 'career' prospects - at work I'm at our head office, you get noticed and have better opportunities to grow in a company rather than being in an outpost - there's a reason your young go to university then move to Melbourne or Sydney because thats their best career prospects.

I've got Melbourne about an hour away at the moment, there is reasonably priced housing at Bendigo - but its Bendigo.

Though when I first started a couple months in they sent me over to our Adelaide branch and it was like you sat around waiting for phone calls or someone to walk in the door so that was nice and cruisey for a couple of days

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 29-05-2020 at 11:29 PM.
Old 29-05-2020, 11:31 PM   #1093
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
I agree. I'd live in Adelaide befiore Melb or Sydney.

Whilst Adelaide generally is pretty ugly, the city itself is cheap.
Old 30-05-2020, 12:44 AM   #1094
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
I've grown up in regional Victoria .......l
yeah, its better in the country imo, but some people need to learn to WHEN give a bloke some space.

i had a nice bloke chewing off my ear today. i stayed for a bit and then i had to leave.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2020, 06:41 AM   #1095
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Adelaide is my holiday destination, I'm usually there every Easter but COVID-19 threw a spanner in the works this year.

Very clean city, no toll roads, super easy to navigate and you have reasonably priced food (mains under $40 in O'Connell Street in North Adelaide!)

Gets a bit warm though, wouldn't say perfect weather

I don't really want to spend more than $400K so I'm either going further regional, 1 bedroom skybox prison cell in Melbourne or Adelaide suburbia/skybox.

Job isn't the worry for Adelaide its the 'career' prospects - at work I'm at our head office, you get noticed and have better opportunities to grow in a company rather than being in an outpost - there's a reason your young go to university then move to Melbourne or Sydney because thats their best career prospects.

I've got Melbourne about an hour away at the moment, there is reasonably priced housing at Bendigo - but its Bendigo.

Though when I first started a couple months in they sent me over to our Adelaide branch and it was like you sat around waiting for phone calls or someone to walk in the door so that was nice and cruisey for a couple of days
Yorke Penninsular is the go beachfront for your budget
Old 30-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #1096
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Gone way off topic here.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #1097
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Have we ?

Personally I think reading the different perspectives is quite interesting and very much related to what will happen if real estate prices collapse.
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 05:33 PM   #1098
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:

Everything you say here is true, but I dont want other people to know

I like how everything thinks SA is the assend of the country. Keeps things affordable for us.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 06:53 PM   #1099
MercuryT
Banned

I love how Adelaide is so easy to navigate.

Sydney is a nightmare and Melb not much better with trams and hook turns etc. (crazy taxi drivers too....)

Adelaide has their square designed plan, it's brilliant.
5 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 07:43 PM   #1100
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Come September when the loan deferrals expire there will be a bunch of home owners under severe mortgage stress if the economy doesn't return to near normal.

They are suggesting extending the deferral program.

For how long? The banks are in a bind - they may be left holding housing stock that's worth less than the loan against it.

Mind you the way I see it - the banks are not actually losing any money, any unpaid money will just be paid later on down the track at most probably a much higher interest rate.

I've deferred my repayments and am rushing through some minor fixes in the hope I can list my place for sale mid to late July.

Sell before the slump, buy at the end of the year when things may be a little cheaper.

See what happens I guess.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 08:17 PM   #1101
leesa

Fingers crossed the *** falls out of the market and people stop treating housing as an investment opportunity. Wouldn't that be nice.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 08:37 PM   #1102
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Sell in Sydney

Buy in Adelaide
Use spare change for Ferrari 488 GTO
Old 30-05-2020, 09:17 PM   #1103
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Sell in Sydney

Buy in Adelaide
Use spare change for Ferrari 488 GTO
I know a mate who did that. Sold in the height of the boom in 2007 in Sydney and bought 40acres in Myponga with unobstructed views of the sea and rolling hills with cash in the bank left over.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2020, 09:17 PM   #1104
MercuryT
Banned

Mine settles Friday 2.15pm.

Inspection Monday so fair bit to do tomorrow (lawns in particular) but all good.
Old 30-05-2020, 09:19 PM   #1105
MercuryT
Banned

I'll miss her though.....

Midway Point a beautiful spot in greater Hobart.
Old 30-05-2020, 09:30 PM   #1106
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I know a mate who did that. Sold in the height of the boom in 2007 in Sydney and bought 40acres in Myponga with unobstructed views of the sea and rolling hills with cash in the bank left over.
That's the plan. Unfortunately I can't escape Sydney due to the care arrangements with my daughter and her schooling.

Got a huge place at the moment, Ex tried her best to get it off me during the divorce but failed.

Plan is to sell up, 'downsize' to a 4br place with parking for my toys, be mortgage free and have money to travel with my girl every holidays to wherever she wants and relax after a shocking 4 years.

Will be semi retired at 41 and able to attend every school event, spend time with the parents, go fishing in the boat I bought just before separation, start writing my book and do some of the stuff I always wanted to do.

Will love every minute of it.

My ex on the other hand has blown the payout she received, has bugger all in the bank, is mortgaged to the hilt and still driving the crappy Mirage I let her keep as a sign of good will.

Can't wait

Old 30-05-2020, 11:10 PM   #1107
MercuryT
Banned

Weird feeling selling a house.

As I'm going back with parents no excitement etc
2 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2020, 03:48 PM   #1108
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
That's the plan. Unfortunately I can't escape Sydney due to the care arrangements with my daughter and her schooling.

Got a huge place at the moment, Ex tried her best to get it off me during the divorce but failed.

Plan is to sell up, 'downsize' to a 4br place with parking for my toys, be mortgage free and have money to travel with my girl every holidays to wherever she wants and relax after a shocking 4 years.

Will be semi retired at 41 and able to attend every school event, spend time with the parents, go fishing in the boat I bought just before separation, start writing my book and do some of the stuff I always wanted to do.

Will love every minute of it.

My ex on the other hand has blown the payout she received, has bugger all in the bank, is mortgaged to the hilt and still driving the crappy Mirage I let her keep as a sign of good will.

Can't wait
Its not for everyone but amazing what is around in the country, bought my acre in North East Vic. 8 years ago for 38K and just finishing off the offgrid cabin for another 20K ish so it can be done for little $$$.
Then there is the ol man complaining what he spends in body corp. fee in Sydney, he chose to live there. His 4 years BCF would pay for this.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #1109
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Its not for everyone but amazing what is around in the country, bought my acre in North East Vic. 8 years ago for 38K and just finishing off the offgrid cabin for another 20K ish so it can be done for little $$$.
Then there is the ol man complaining what he spends in body corp. fee in Sydney, he chose to live there. His 4 years BCF would pay for this.
Believe me I wish I could do that. I was looking at acreage within Cooee of Sydney and something I would like is $1mil plus.

Then I need to take my daughter to and from school a few times a week.

I then have my part time job in the CBD.

I'm forever watching those country cottage / unique build shows and kill time by researching off the grid setups and composting toilets.

Yeah strata fees are a killer... I looked at a 4br 6car garage penthouse in Lidcombe and the strata levies were almost $5.5k per 1/4.

Once I sell up I will know what play money I have to work with.

The acerage and off grid living will have to wait, but I'll be set up financially either way when the time comes.

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

3 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2020, 04:25 PM   #1110
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Once you get over that range the prices start to come back down to reality. Eastcoast wise, everyone wants to live along the coast but its no longer achievable unless you are prepared to get yourself in hock or the rich uncle pops his clogs.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: