Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #1081
kypez
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: That Tesla thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
OK Tesla finance boffins, how do they shift to being profitable?
Personally, I think their focus with the Model 3 wasn't the right choice. I think the Y should've come out first or at the same time. People love SUV's and are moving away from sedans. I don't know what they were thinking doing the Model 3 first.

Also, I think they've spread themselves too thin trying to do cars and autonomous technology at the same time. The market isn't asking for it and regulations are still so far behind that if you have the tech, they're making it illegal (as they have in Europe; they've hobbled the Auto pilot system).

They should focus on the Chinese factory and get the Model Y out ahead of schedule. Better profit margins there and the bigger factory should help with demand (that I'm sure the Model Y could achieve).

Make Superchargers available to any electric car customer with a tap style payment system especially with the CCS2 rollout. Easy money for them. Crazy that they leave money on the table.

Bring back programs like free Supercharging for existing owners to get them to upgrade.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
2016 Everest Titanium, Sunset
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2019, 05:03 PM   #1082
kypez
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Charge more for their product and substantially reduce their internal and overhead manufacturing costs. Stop giving stuff away for free (charge stations). It isn’t rocket science. Have a cohesive and strategic view to longevity of the brand i.e. Put a muzzle on Musk - stop him sprouting out any piece of garbage that enters his brain that he thinks is a good idea - that would be a big help too.

Musk should have done a Mea Culpa and resigned some time ago, but he doesn’t do reality very well.
Are you talking about the charge stations or charging? Btw, I agree with you on this.

All Supercharging has been paid for over a year now on all new cars. They ended free Supercharging for the life of the car a couple of years ago. With my car, I get it for as long as I own it. Once I sell the car, it doesn't transfer.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:14 PM   #1083
kmav23

Starting a major car company is very difficult and expensive which is why only 3 major car companies existed in America the biggest economy in the world. Lets not forget they needed bailouts and government intervention loans etc to survive. Their stock prices have also performed horribly and they laying off many workers now. Trumps Mexico tariffs are going to hurt GM and Ford.
Tesla expands so fast that the stock and profitability is always going to be long term game.
2019 is difficult year but 2020 with the Shanghai factory and model Y released the company should be in a much better position.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2019, 06:23 PM   #1084
kmav23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
OK Tesla finance boffins, how do they shift to being profitable?
They can become profitable by not expanding so fast or creating new products, r and d etc.

However they are following the Amazon, Uber, Netflix playbook, expand and invest rapid fast and worry about profits later, which is much riskier and capital intensive but higher potential rewards later.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:41 PM   #1085
cheap
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here’s Scotty’s take away...

https://youtu.be/6vo9e8dXoIg
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #1086
cheap
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tesla Whistleblower Attorney Says "I Would Short Tesla Based On What I Know"

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...ed-what-i-know

Hmm 🤔
Old 04-06-2019, 10:14 PM   #1087
cheap
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And then there is this, Norway is Unamused with Tesla

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...unamused-tesla

I guess it hasn’t quite worked out to plan (presuming Musk did have a plan)

Read through the dot points, IMO this is a company teetering on the edge.

Last edited by cheap; 04-06-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:23 PM   #1088
kypez
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

So which is it in the article? Servicing or parts? Or both? Cause getting into a fender bender isn't a service item but they claim it to be.

There is nothing to service on these cars in the schedule expect brake fluid and coolant, every 2 and 4 years. Model 3 has a longer schedule. Can't see that being a big issue in such a small population. Storm in a teacup?

Though in Sydney, you need to book over a month in advance for a service. Under resourced big time. Lucky the Model 3 service schedule is almost non existent compared to the Model S/X

Old 04-06-2019, 10:27 PM   #1089
cheap
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
So which is it in the article? Servicing or parts? Or both? Cause getting into a fender bender isn't a service item but they claim it to be.

There is nothing to service on these cars in the schedule expect brake fluid and coolant, every 2 and 4 years. Model 3 has a longer schedule. Can't see that being a big issue in such a small population. Storm in a teacup?

Though in Sydney, you need to book over a month in advance for a service. Under resourced big time. Lucky the Model 3 service schedule is almost non existent compared to the Model S/X

Ask Musk, he admits there is a problem
Old 04-06-2019, 10:28 PM   #1090
kypez
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ask Musk, he admits there is a problem
Again, which is it? Is Musk a source of truth or not?

That tweet was from July 2018, almost a year ago! The article is also from July 2018!

Last edited by kypez; 04-06-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #1091
kypez
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Tesla Whistleblower Attorney Says "I Would Short Tesla Based On What I Know"

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...ed-what-i-know

Hmm
This article is also from July 2018... Now I'm a casual investor and no expert, but I don't rely on information that is almost a year old when looking to invest.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:31 AM   #1092
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Read through the dot points, IMO this is a company teetering on the edge.
For someone who hates Tesla so much you clearly spend a lot of time looking up stuff about them and posting your hate stories

I see VicPol has gone the Tesla way and predicts their fleet will be all electric within 10 years.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2019, 09:38 AM   #1093
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
and predicts their fleet will be all electric within 10 years.
I think these are throwaway lines by corporations, esp govt ones, to appease the masses.

the problem is, electricity production itself is looking to go renewable in most states and electric vehicles is only going to increase the load on an already struggling grid. I don't see too much in the way of infrastructure being built to future proof against the rise of the electric car.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #1094
PG2
#coloradolyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:

I see VicPol has gone the Tesla way and predicts their fleet will be all electric within 10 years.
Not trying to be a negative nelly but considering that as with most Government departments they keep their cars for up to 3 years this would be mean a 100% EV buying policy within the next 7 years. I can't see that happening.

They may very well be buying EVs within 10 years but their fleet won't be all electric.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #1095
cheap
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
For someone who hates Tesla so much you clearly spend a lot of time looking up stuff about them and posting your hate stories

Tesla share price actually went up today - broke a week long loss scenario (there you go my positive Tesla news for this week 😀)
Old 05-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #1096
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000

Yeah right.

Just because Tesla gave them one, probably for free or dirt cheap, doesn't mean they will be buying a whole fleet of them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #1097
GasoLane
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Yeah right.

Just because Tesla gave them one, probably for free or dirt cheap, doesn't mean they will be buying a whole fleet of them.
They bought it.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...dfb4a4579493e6
Old 05-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #1098
Bevsta007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Damn that NSW SRT looks tough
Ours Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Bevsta007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2019, 04:16 PM   #1099
cheap
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tesla's for highway patrol use - what could possibly go wrong?

"car 19 disengaging from pursuit - battery nearly depleted, will proceed to the local charge point and resume pursuit in 3-4 hours time after the battery is sufficiently replenished..."
4 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2019, 04:24 PM   #1100
Citroënbender
DIY tragic

While the suspects escape on a motorised esky.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2019, 05:08 PM   #1101
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

"car 19 disengaging from pursuit - battery nearly depleted, will proceed to the local charge point and resume pursuit in 3-4 hours time after the battery is sufficiently replenished..."
and petrol engined police cars never run low or run out of fuel?

the only difference is that electric cars presently take longer to be 'full' again.

I imagine they'll swap over cars mid shift, at lunch or dinner time, for one that's fully charged.

Really not that difficult to manage, plus the fuel cost saving by using electric cars will be incredible
2 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #1102
cheap
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
and petrol engined police cars never run low or run out of fuel?

the only difference is that electric cars presently take longer to be 'full' again.

I imagine they'll swap over cars mid shift, at lunch or dinner time, for one that's fully charged.

Really not that difficult to manage, plus the fuel cost saving by using electric cars will be incredible
So what you're saying is the coppers will need to have 2-3 times as many vehicles to do the job. Hopefully criminals will respect the change over shifts and not be naughty during these times.

Hey better still why not have the Tesla highway patrol cars tow a trailer full of batteries or a trailer with a diesel powered genset so as to extend their range but which can be jettisoned during pursuit time - what do you think?
Old 05-06-2019, 05:52 PM   #1103
PG2
#coloradolyfe
Donating Member2

I thought I would get in before kmav does (only kidding kmav)...

https://www.caradvice.com.au/763006/...tX-bc8PRXLTi3M

Quote:
Why I bought an EV – P.S. it’s not to save the world
Paul has a Tesla Model 3 on the way. Here's why he's laying down his hard-earned cash.

Soy lattes, a vegan lifestyle, reusable shopping bags and car companies forced to kill the beautiful whine of a supercharged V8 in the hunt for lowering emissions.

These are things I honestly couldn’t care less for.

So, why did I buy an electric car? Well, it’s because I like the way they drive. Actually ‘we’ like the way they drive – that’d be my wife and I. Because, if your relationship is anything like mine, ‘we’ generally both like whatever she likes (something I learned early on).

So I’m sure you can imagine my pleasant surprise when we took delivery of our long term loan car late last year, the Jaguar I-Pace, and she fell in love with the way it drove and all the fancy gadgets attached to it.

It was at that point that ‘we’ (and this time I really mean we) decided to put in a reservation for a Tesla Model 3. Why not the I-Pace? Well, ‘we’ love that car too, but with the budget we’re allocating, we’ll be able to buy a Model 3 and another car that burns fuel and makes noise for the price of an I-Pace, or thereabouts.

Why not another EV? If you lay out the available options at this price point, you don’t really have many choices. The Hyundai Kona is a brilliant EV, but at top-specification price point it doesn’t feel like a premium car. Go further north and you land at the new Mercedes-Benz EQC and Audi e-tron. Both fall short on range and both are markedly more expensive than the Model 3.

The other thing I love, in addition to the way electric cars drive, is the technology crammed into Tesla products. Tesla is a tech company first and car company second (despite what Elon Musk may try and tell you). That’s not a bad thing, because it means it does all the tech things about a thousand times better than any other car company.

Now, at this point I’m sure you Tesla shorters are sitting there on your keyboards logging in to Disqus ready to tell me about how badly built they are, how they all catch fire, and how Tesla is about to go bankrupt.

Sure, some of that may be true. But after driving the Model 3 in the USA on a 2000km road trip a few months ago, I was not only blown away by the car and the technology, but I was mighty impressed with the huge leap forward in build quality.

It’s now at a level that I’m comfortable to open my wallet up and spend cash on it. And, you can bet your bottom dollar if the car I’ve bought arrives to Australia missing door panels or featuring panel gaps big enough to park organic salt crystals in, I’ll be telling you all about it.

But what about electric cars charged on electricity produced by black coal that pollutes more than equivalent hybrids? Well… to be totally honest with you, I don’t really care. If it wasn’t the Model 3, I’d likely be buying something else that’s equally as quick, but a lot louder and fuel-burnier.

But, I will be making the extra effort to offset my home charging with green energy – just to make all of you happy.

We’ve also installed a charging box in our parking spot at our apartment, which means we can charge the car at home (but I’ll probably just end up sneaking it down to the CarAdvice office on weekends for a free charge).

That brings us down to the car I chose. I mean, the car ‘we’ chose. The $66,000 entry-level was probably a bit short on range and I wanted the cracking sound system, plus all-wheel drive.

So we wound up with the Model 3 Performance and because ‘we’ might want to take it to the race track every now and then, ‘we’ also ticked the performance pack option with Track Mode, 20-inch alloy wheels, bigger brakes and other pointless things likely to be stolen by a rebellious 13 year old (carbon fibre lip spoiler and a dual motor badge with an underline).

Because we live in Victoria, one of the nastiest car tax holes in Australia, a big chunk of the car’s drive-away price is lost in meaningless taxes and fees such as the Luxury Car Tax (you know, the one designed to protect the local car industry that no longer exists). But that’s okay, it’s the cost of living in the second-most liveable city in the world (according to The Economist (suck it, Sydney)).

En route with the car are a nerdy set of custom number plates. First one who guesses what they mean when the car is delivered gets their choice of something inexpensive from my desk.

Anyway. That’s why I – damn it, ‘we’ – bought an electric car. I genuinely hope cars like the Tesla Model 3 (and the new onslaught of EVs that are now here or are soon to arrive) start setting the path for a greener motoring future.

All jokes aside – the closer we get to producing cars that emit nothing into the air (in collaboration with greener energy), the closer we get to a world that’s still likely to exist in the future. I also hope that in the future there will still be room for loud, tyre-frying sports cars for our great rock-walled coastlines.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #1104
Citroënbender
DIY tragic

The kind of person who talks about "buying some art".
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2019, 06:13 PM   #1105
cheap
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry PG2 but the article does noting for me without the BOLD text
3 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2019, 06:21 PM   #1106
jgmdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I thought I would get in before kmav does (only kidding kmav)...

https://www.caradvice.com.au/763006/...tX-bc8PRXLTi3M
If that turkey Maric got one it is another reason to not get one. He makes Dowling look like he knows what he's talking about.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2019, 07:06 PM   #1107
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So what you're saying is the coppers will need to have 2-3 times as many vehicles to do the job. Hopefully criminals will respect the change over shifts and not be naughty during these times.

Hey better still why not have the Tesla highway patrol cars tow a trailer full of batteries or a trailer with a diesel powered genset so as to extend their range but which can be jettisoned during pursuit time - what do you think?
No not at all what I said
I explained the difference and similarities between electric and the current petrol or diesel powered cars.
For metro use I see no issues, regional yes perhaps may take longer to roll out but improvements in battery power and recharge times will likely make that a non issue in no time
Old 05-06-2019, 11:37 PM   #1108
kmav23

https://electrek.co/2018/12/02/tesla...olice-vehicle/

Watch a Tesla Model X becoming a police vehicle

Tesla vehicles are becoming increasingly popular with police departments around the world and now a fleet of Tesla Model X electric SUVs is being converted to patrol vehicles in Switzerland.

It can raise some eyebrows when a police service buys a ~$100,000 vehicle as a cruiser, but the Basel police department says that it is actually buying Model Xs to save money.

Earlier this year, they announced that they are replacing 7 diesel cruisers with 7 Tesla Model X 100Ds.

The police said that the vehicles end up each costing about 49,000 Francs more than their usual diesel cruiser, but they expect that the Tesla vehicles will be better long-term investments due to “significantly lower costs for operation and maintenance and a higher resale value.”

They have now received the vehicles and they have been preparing them to soon go into operation.

In the pictures, you can see the extent of the modifications needed to install those police lights and other accessories.

Some of the Model X 100D SUVs are already ready and about half the fleet is going on the road as soon as next week.

They released a quick video that should give you an idea of what it would be like seeing the MOdel X in your rearview mirror:

The Basel-Stadt canton police are deploying the biggest fleet of Tesla vehicles for police patrol vehicles that we have seen to date, but they are not the only ones working on going electric and especially using Tesla vehicles.

Tesla vehicles are becoming strangely popular with police departments all over the world.

In the US, the Los Angeles Police Department and the Denver Police Department are both using Model S sedans as part of their fleets.

In Europe, Scotland Yard says that it is considering the vehicle and the Luxembourg Police converted two Model S sedans to patrol cars.

The Ontario Police also recently received a brand new Model X, which they also converted to a police vehicle.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:43 PM   #1109
kmav23

Quote:

A Model X has up to 500km range, this is enough for one police shift.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:32 AM   #1110
cheap
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
A Model X has up to 500km range, this is enough for one police shift.
You continue to prove how little you know about everything.
3 users like this post: