Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mondeo to replace Falcon wagon?

words - Ken Gratton

Ford commits to doubling Mondeo market share with fleet sales 12 months out from the Euro IV deadline for the Falcon wagon. Coincidence?
Ford is just three days away from the relaunch of its mid-size Mondeo range. The revised MB model gains more kit, a new top-grade trim level (the Mondeo Titanium) and a wagon body style for the first time. But will this upgrade and relaunch affair help the mid-size Ford's lacklustre sales?

The Mondeo has been well received by the motoring press around the country and certainly holds up its end from a product viewpoint, but it hasn't attracted the sales that some competitors in the VFACTS medium-car segment enjoy. In year to date sales for 2009, the Mondeo (2264 units) has been outsold by the aging and soon-to-be-replaced Subaru Liberty on 2642 sales for the year. Honda Accord Euro (sedan only: 3807 units), Mazda6 (5089) and Toyota Camry (10,160) all outsell the Ford by substantial margins.

Since finding a level of sales that reflects the car's critical success has proven difficult for Ford, journalists were surprised to hear Ford Australia president, Marin Burela, contend that the relaunched and mildly upgraded model will improve Mondeo's fortunes dramatically over the next year.

"What you're going to see is that Mondeo will no longer be the vehicle you've seen to date," he informed journalists at Ford's monthly briefing last week. "I'm absolutely adamant that we will double our share on Mondeo, as we progress over the next 12 months."

Doubling market share isn't the same as doubling sales. Ford could continue to sell the same number of Mondeos per month and still double its market penetration if the VFACTS medium-car segment shrunk by half. That's not impossible, but not likely either.

Car companies blame the influx of high-spec small cars for the gradual erosion of medium-segment sales over time, but in the specific case of the Mondeo, its most formidable competitor is sold in the same showroom. The Mondeo is possibly just as much a victim of its FG Falcon stablemate's sales as conquests by a competitive brand.

That situation stands to worsen once Ford introduces the EcoBoost engine for the Falcon range, scheduled for around March/April 2011. But Marin Burela doesn't believe the Falcon with EcoBoost will cannibalise sales of the Mondeo. At the announcement of the EcoBoost engine for the Falcon last month, Burela said he didn't see any overlap between Mondeo customers and those who might buy a four-cylinder Falcon.

"Completely [different], they have different needs, different wants, different lifestyle requirements, different motoring requirements..." he told the Carsales Network.

At the same forum, he declared that significantly improved sales for the Mondeo were within the company's grasp.

"We're very confident with Mondeo," he said. "Mondeo has been predominantly a private buyer's car in Australia. We're now bringing to Mondeo the wagon, we're now entering the fleet and government business -- and as far as we can see, everything we've seen so far; the enquiry level on Mondeo is very high.

"We're not going to put a number against it, but we're pretty bullish about where Mondeo's going to go over the next six to 12 months."

The key words there are "over the next six to 12 months". If Ford is anticipating a major uptake of Mondeo in the market during that timeframe, is Ford pinning its hopes on fleet sales for the wagon specifically?

A major increase in sales won't come from the Titanium-spec flagship. Nor will it come from minor specification changes to existing variants that haven't sold in huge numbers in the past. Mondeo's fuel consumption is higher than comparable variants of Epica, Accord Euro, Mazda6 and Camry, so how will Ford successfully target fleets when running costs are high on the list of purchasing criteria?

But maybe the fleets could be persuaded to take up the Mondeo wagon if it represented a substantial saving in running costs against the car they've purchased traditionally? A car like the Falcon wagon?

Compared with the aging rear-driver, the Mondeo wagon is more economical and we understand luggage capacity is better than the large car's. The Falcon currently captures about 400 sales a month, according to Burela, and transferring that number from the Falcon sales ledger to the Mondeo sales ledger would magically boost Mondeo sales by roughly 100 per cent.

Why would Ford ditch the BF III? Because it's an old platform and Ford has announced no plans to build an FG version. The engine it uses is not the upgraded FG model six that will be revised to comply with the Euro IV emissions standard by this time next year. In addition Ford has not declared that the EcoBoost engine will power the BF III model or that the liquid-injection LPG engine will find its way into the wagon's engine bay when that arrives on the scene.

In short, we're talking lots of money to upgrade or replace the BF III wagon, for sales that might be worth 400 units a month. Much more sensible to take an existing imported design that will provide better value for fleet buyers and won't cost Ford Australia a brass razoo, other than the landed cost of importing them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
The Snout

"Compared with the aging rear-driver, the Mondeo wagon is more economical and we understand luggage capacity is better than the large car's."

^ That's interesting if true. Better luggage capacity.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Fords motives can be translated as the Mondeo has missed the mark with private buyers, who have not returned to the brand since the cars launch. The "limited supplies" excuse has grown stale and something has to be done.

So they are repositioning the car in the hope that fleet sales might make up some of the sales that never eventuated with private buyers. Otherwise Mondeo might be making a second exit from the Australian market in the next year or two.

I would expect a similar repositioning of Focus soon, if that vehicles sales don't pick up.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

On Mondeo’s initial release Ford limited its appeal by minimising model overlap with Falcon. This probably gave us a Mondeo that was less desirable than in other markets. The MB series has introduced the Titanium specification and Wagon variants which appear to encroach more on traditional Falcon markets. It’ll be interesting to see how Mondeo performs with fleets as it will be a direct indication to Ford on how important Falcon will be going forward. While it’s a nice car, with (non-mechanical) specifications that put Falcon to shame, I don’t know if it’s the right fit for Australia. I don’t see the difference between Ford flogging 4 Cylinder Mondeo’s or 4 Cylinder Falcon’s to Fleets. No one’s seemed to be able to explain that one yet?

Focus is so deep into its model cycle there’s not much hope for it unfortunately. Hopefully Ford AU’s decision to import Focus rather than build it means we’ll see the new model earlier than 2011 (I believe it’s being launched next year in the US/Europe).
Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

i'd love to see some figures to back up the luggage capacity claim. i can't see how it could possibly be true.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Although I cant remember exact figure, I read a review a month or so ago, it said the Mondeo had more luggage space than the Bombadore wagon but not as much as the Falcon
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Falcon Wagon

Quote:
Luggage Capacity (L) Petrol E-Gas
Seats upright 1254 1174
Seats down 2584 2504
Mondeo Wagon

Quote:
Luggage Capacity (L)

Seats upright (SAE / ISO) 1005 / 542
Rear seats folded (SAE / ISO) 2163 / 1733
Old 12-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go to the ford web site and download an E-Brochure for the Mondeo. Falcon wagon doesn't have the specs but I have a brochure at home on the BF Wagon.

MB Mondeo Wagon (LX)

Seats upright (SAE/ISO) 1005/542
Rear seats folded (SAE/ISO) 2163/1733

Falcon Wagon
1254 Litres

I don't know if this is seats up or down. I assume up, so this indicates the Falcon wagon is either 200 litres larger in the cargo area, or about 800 smaller than the Mondeo. I suspect it's bigger.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bugger, you beat me too it.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
prydey
Rob

as i suspected. i'm one of the rare people that like wagons, esp the falcon. i fitted our new 8kg fisher paykel washer in the rear of mine no dramas. i'd like to see that feat done by another similar vehicle. i also went to brissie from adel, 2 adults, 2 kids (1 an infant) luggage, pram and eski.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post