Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
balthazarr

Default Lower BAC limits?

http://www.theage.com.au/national/ca...0811-egz6.html

Quote:
Call to revise .05 limit
Julia Medew
August 12, 2009
AUSTRALIA'S .05 blood-alcohol limit should be re-examined in light of overseas experience showing a .02 limit reduces road fatalities, Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Stephen Fontana has said.

Speaking at a binge-drinking forum in Melbourne yesterday, Mr Fontana said alcohol was linked to a third of car accidents in Victoria, and that, personally, he was not opposed to lowering the limit to .02 to bring Australia into line with countries like Sweden.

''We are still getting a lot of drivers who are well over the limit, so we might need to rethink that (.05 limit),'' he said. ''We still have a lot of problems with alcohol on our roads.''

Most Western countries have blood-alcohol content limits (BACs) between .05 and .08, but a handful of countries, including Sweden and Norway, have introduced a .02 limit, with stiff penalties for any breaches.

The Commonwealth Government's National Drug Strategy says that although there is little international experience of alcohol levels below .05, research shows that when Sweden changed its limit from .05 to .02 in 1990, alcohol-related road fatalities dropped 8-10 per cent.

The strategy said it was therefore assumed that if Australia reduced its limit to .02, it could expect a similar reduction in its road toll.

Last year, Victoria Police breath tested 1.4 million drivers and found about 5700 over the limit.

In the same year, 50 drivers - 28 per cent of drivers killed on Victorian roads - recorded levels of .05 or more.

Of these, most were heavily intoxicated, registering more than three times the legal limit.

Dr Michael Lenne, senior research fellow at Monash University's Accident Research Centre, said lowering the limit could save lives.

But he said it was difficult to know how much of a deterrent a .02 limit would be to those who already drank excessively and drove.

''We would need to do a fair bit of work on the potential benefits of it, given that most of the drivers who are killed have BACs well over .05,'' he said.

He also cautioned against presuming Sweden's limit would have the same effect here, because it has much higher taxes and restrictions on the sale and consumption of alcohol more broadly.
I can't see how this will improve the road toll at all. The fools that drive way over the current .05 limit are not going to notice... all this will do is catch out the thousands (millions?) of people that have a drink or two after work on a Friday night.

balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

Why don't they impound the cars of people caught over the current limit. Hoons and the like get there cars taken off them yet drink drivers don't.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
''We are still getting a lot of drivers who are well over the limit, so we might need to rethink that (.05 limit),'' he said. ''We still have a lot of problems with alcohol on our roads.''
How is lowering the limit going to have any effect on those already well over the current limit?

Is this guy for real?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Oh bewdie yet another safety bandwagon for attention seeking pollies to climb on.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
How is lowering the limit going to have any effect on those already well over the current limit? ...
Exactly. It won't.

Why bother with a .02 BAC? May as well reduce it to 0.0.
According to http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm, if you weigh anything under 160 pounds (72.5kgs), one scotch on the rocks is enough to have you over the limit in the first hour (estimate only, of course).
Old 12-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Most Western countries have blood-alcohol content limits (BACs) between .05 and .08, but a handful of countries, including Sweden and Norway, have introduced a .02 limit, with stiff penalties for any breaches."

by a hand full they mean 2 other country's!!

"Last year, Victoria Police breath tested 1.4 million drivers and found about 5700 over the limit."

hardly a DD epidemic, i'm no fan off DD but 5700 out of 1.4 million!!! how manny of these would ahve been only just over the .05 limit?

"most of the drivers who are killed have BACs well over .05,'' he said."

No way this guy has got to be a professor!!

"Dr Michael Lenne, senior research fellow at Monash University's Accident Research Centre, said lowering the limit could save lives."

COULD being the word of the day in this case.

"In the same year, 50 drivers - 28 per cent of drivers killed on Victorian roads - recorded levels of .05 or more."

So haw many were .05 or below?

I think Victoria needs to change it's name to Sweden Mk2
Old 12-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So which car would you rather be in:

a) Driver with BAC of 0.06
b) Driver got license yesterday and it is pouring rain at night
c) Driver has an acute allergy to pollen and you are in a rural area in spring
d) Driver has not slept for 14 hours and has be driving for 10 hrs
e) Driver is from a LHD country and this is the first time they have ever driven a RHD vehicle
f) Driver has never been to a city before and although has a manual licence has not driven one for 3 years and then only for their license test and is about to drive in Sydney/Melbourne peak hour in a manual car with bad visibility

Only one of these is illegal........

One of the thing I find ammusing is how so many of the sub 30 year olds go off over 0.05 BAC and how it is end of the world. I like almost everone my age drove with a BAC of 0.08-0.15 almost every weekend for years and travelled huge distances. (we also used to drive very fast eveywhere but not so much after drinking) We are all still alive. How can this be?

Now before the arc up, if you have never driven with a BAC of over 0.05 you have no idea what it is like or if it ACTUALLY causes you to drive dangerously.

You only know what you have been told by the same people who have told you that 101km/h in a 100 zone is fatal, rolling through a stop sign at 1km/h is fatal, lowering a car by 51mm is fatal, pod filters are fatal, neons are fatal, exhausts over 90db are fatal, the last day of P plates you cannot handle the power of a V8 but the next morning you can, unregistered cars are fatal etc etc etc......

We are our own worst enemies becuase we just let the wowsers get away with it all the time...
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Now before the arc up, if you have never driven with a BAC of over 0.05 you have no idea what it is like or if it ACTUALLY causes you to drive dangerously.
I see your point, but you do have to draw the line somewhere. The danger difference between 0.5 and 0.8 might not be that great, but what about 0.8 v 1 v 1.2 etc... Much like speed limits, pick a number and enforce it. You can't argue that a driver is just as safe after 10 beers as they are sober.

Like you said, I was a serial drink driver (as in over 0.5, although fortunately that was never tested) for years, getting back to the farm from the pub on a Friday night - no cabs in Kenilworth.

I always drove safely on back roads and never had an accident... until I backed the ZH off a dirt corner in to a table drain one afternoon on a cigarette run after a few sherbets. Only good luck stopped me and my mate chewing on fence posts and gum trees, another statistic for the Sunshine Coast Daily. Wouldn't have done that sober. Have been much more careful ever since. Just my story.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

complete morons, so you can be over the .02 if you decide to get the munchies and buy a couple of...boxes of.. cherry ripes :P

if this is enforced, then whoever did it needs to be shot!!

why so many kneejerk regulations, im sick of it, it has to end!!
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yay no drink after work for fear of being over a 0.02 limit. And at only .02, the next day you would still be over the limit until long into the day after a decent night on the
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #11
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1tzy
yay no drink after work for fear of being over a 0.02 limit. And at only .02, the next day you would still be over the limit until long into the day after a decent night on the
Everyone at my work is already paranoid about going over, 0.02 will basically kill Friday night drinks.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

More fascist ruling.

ENFORCE THE LAWS HARDER! DON'T SLAP THEM ON THE WRIST! DON'T JERK THE KNEE!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #13
XW 393
"WHEEZER" POWERED

Make it 0 or leave it at 0.05.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #14
MRJUCY
Fordless

Driving drunk is stupid everyone knows that but at what point a persons BAC becomes a problem I can't say I really know but I don't think lowering it to 0.2 will effect the people who are currently putting our lives in danger by being well over the current limit.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #15
TOM-CAT
F-14 TomCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUlien
On the money.

0.02 will just cause more (legally) drunk drivers.

Check your bible; it say’s - if thou is to fit forced induction via supercharging to a performance car, then it is right and good that this supercharger be heard.
TOM-CAT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #16
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
Everyone at my work is already paranoid about going over, 0.02 will basically kill Friday night drinks.
Exactly. Right now im not worried about going over .05 after 1 on a friday arvo but with 0.02 i wouldn't be running the risk. What about a sat or sun morning after a decent night on the drink, id be over the limit until the next night
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUlien

They're working their way to it.

In time drinking will be seen the same way as smoking.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #18
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

The whole point they are missing is this. Are there any scenarios where .05 is a problem? No? then don't fix what ain't broke.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
The whole point they are missing is this. Are there any scenarios where .05 is a problem? No? then don't fix what ain't broke.
In vic 0.05 will mean you lose your licence. You need to be below 0.05.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #20
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbs
Why don't they impound the cars of people caught over the current limit. Hoons and the like get there cars taken off them yet drink drivers don't.
+ 1

how many caught drink drivers are repeat offenders? from hazy memory it's a fair old rate.

dropping to 0.02 will not change the mindset of those who would have drunk to excess anyway, just as dropping a speed limit in an area where people speed will slow them down.
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #21
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So it's just like the speed limits in the Northern Territory and speed cameras in Victoria. A lot of action, but does sweet all for the road toll.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #22
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
In vic 0.05 will mean you lose your licence. You need to be below 0.05.
i thought .05 was the absolute max.. above that and you will get booked?
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #23
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Doesn't matter now anyway, Brumby has come out and said that he will not be going that way.

.05 it is.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
i thought .05 was the absolute max.. above that and you will get booked?

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...inkDriving.htm

Quote:
What’s the law?
Professional drivers such as truck, bus or taxi drivers; P-platers and learner drivers must have a zero blood alcohol concentration (BAC), while all other drivers must stay under .05 BAC.

Drink driving offences are not limited to public roads. They can be committed on private property.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #25
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember working in western Queensland and it wasnt that long ago really . When I asked distances between towns it was measured in stubbies I think Cloncurry to MtIsa was 3 stubbies
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #26
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11
I remember working in western Queensland and it wasnt that long ago really . When I asked distances between towns it was measured in stubbies I think Cloncurry to MtIsa was 3 stubbies
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #27
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
So which car would you rather be in:

a) Driver with BAC of 0.06
b) Driver got license yesterday and it is pouring rain at night
c) Driver has an acute allergy to pollen and you are in a rural area in spring
d) Driver has not slept for 14 hours and has be driving for 10 hrs
e) Driver is from a LHD country and this is the first time they have ever driven a RHD vehicle
f) Driver has never been to a city before and although has a manual licence has not driven one for 3 years and then only for their license test and is about to drive in Sydney/Melbourne peak hour in a manual car with bad visibility

Only one of these is illegal........

One of the thing I find ammusing is how so many of the sub 30 year olds go off over 0.05 BAC and how it is end of the world. I like almost everone my age drove with a BAC of 0.08-0.15 almost every weekend for years and travelled huge distances. (we also used to drive very fast eveywhere but not so much after drinking) We are all still alive. How can this be?

You only know what you have been told by the same people who have told you that 101km/h in a 100 zone is fatal, rolling through a stop sign at 1km/h is fatal, lowering a car by 51mm is fatal, pod filters are fatal, neons are fatal, exhausts over 90db are fatal, the last day of P plates you cannot handle the power of a V8 but the next morning you can, unregistered cars are fatal etc etc etc......

We are our own worst enemies becuase we just let the wowsers get away with it all the time...

THAT is one of your best EVER posts Flappy!

"I like almost everone my age drove with a BAC of 0.08-0.15 almost every weekend for years and travelled huge distances. (we also used to drive very fast eveywhere but not so much after drinking) We are all still alive. How can this be"

EXACTLY!!!....
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #28
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

I got done .051, got screwed/ long story!!!!!!

Anyway, used to drink regularly, wouldnt even bat an eyelid at getting in the car after 6-8 to go buy more, still walking and taking, capable of driving, and did,

these days I can have 2 beers and be "silly as a wheel", no way im driving!

Its called tolerance, if you drink every day, and drink lots regularly you can easily walk a stright line/ stand on one foot/ touch your nose with your eyes closed/ and drive a motor vehicle, but will be over .05 (they dont allow for that)

Thats how so many people get done, "feel fine" and are capable, but technically are over !!!!!!!!

[/B] "A LESSON LEARNT"

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #29
XD.XG.XR6.XR8
Starter Motor

First: Who knew there was a binge-drinking forum being held?
For me it doesn't matter cause I don't drink at all , but don't get your nikkers in a knot , its a simple trick that is done all too often. There is a binge-drinking forum being held in Melbourne , so you get a high profile person like the Victorian Police Assistant Commissioner Stephen Fontana to make a controversial speech and back it up with some half *** facts and say these people are doing it , maybe we should too. Before you know it , its "HEADLINE" material , now everybody knows there is a binge-drinking forum. Goverment is seen to be doing something , Police are seem to be doing something and the publicity justifies another forum in the future. most of all its another tax payer funded trip for most of the people attending including their , wives , girlfriends and in some cases both.
For the record if you drink no matter how little don't drive.

Last edited by XD.XG.XR6.XR8; 12-08-2009 at 10:53 PM.
XD.XG.XR6.XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #30
Teflon Turbo
Banned

it should be ZERO! 0.0
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post