Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #61
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The speed limits would be lowered until they started raising revinue again......
They do that often in NSW aswell. I believe the "getting Ringed" rd into Melbourne has many variable speed limits depending on the time of day too. On the M4 in Sydney they often have the approaches about 2km away from the toll booths indicate 70 when it's otherwise a 90 zone.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #62
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I'll take a wild stab that a mobile camera would probably be around $180K per year to man, operate and maintain? Fixed probably $90K pa to service and maintain??
That's without any initial set-up, retrieval or fine processing and administrative costs.
Administrative costs would be around $20 per infringement notice, most large companies estimate it costs approximately $20 to raise an invoice.
How many fixed and mobile cameras are there in Vic?
Those wild stabs are very expensive ones! LOL!

I guess the Victorian government had to pay back a stack of fines a while ago, as they didn't even have a budget to service the fixed cameras. Either they were just really stupid and didn't allow for the upkeep, or it was soooo expensive that they just thought they'd try to get away without doing it for a few years.

As for many?

As at March 2007
Red light only wet film cameras (84 sites)

Red-Light Speed
Camera Locations - Melbourne (82 sites)

Plus the 30odd announced recently. Also the wet film cameras are being upgraded to ditigal units.

Also, for general interest. Road toll figures, 1997-2006

97 337
98 390
99 383
00 407
01 444
02 397
03 330
04 343
05 346
06 337

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10

Last edited by GK; 14-07-2009 at 07:11 PM.
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #63
smee323
Yes it is mine...

They are installing a new camera in Adelaide.
Is on a down hill 60 zone to pass under a railway bridge before an uphill section that turns into 50.
Revenue pure and simple. Road is 3 lanes wide and just on 12 months old.
smee323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #64
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Secondly If the cost to run the camera's is greater than the revenue they collect id suggest they'd soon disappear....
Theres an ideal way of everyone contributing to the cause of removing them.
If everyone who received an infringement from a camera over, say, a one month period, elected to have the rightful day in court and contest the matter (even if you never intend to actually go to court), then the costs to administer the system, not to mention the clogging up of the court system, would start to greatly diminish the revenue going into the gummint coffers.
Remember, it costs you nothing to elect to have it dealt with in a court of law, and you will delay the "bill payment" by at least 6 months by doing so too..
Old 14-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #65
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO

Fact: Speed cameras do not save lives.
Fact: Government is doing nothing to decrease the death toll
Fact: Government is making millions instead of making roads safer.
Amen brother.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #66
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

This was originally inteneded for the QLD cameras : i thought there was already enough in Vic
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #67
BFBrett
Starter Motor

Purely revenue raising imo.

More 'pig presence' on the road = curb the road toll.
Simple but too expensive, hence the cameras, like it has been said many times before, they dont charge by the hour, but they sure make more by the hour.

my 2c.
BFBrett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #68
Teflon Turbo
Banned

just one question re: eastlink dany road overpass are there any speed cameras there?

have you noticed the road has been resurfaced there again?

it has collpased a few inches and they laid down new road to lift it back up and make it level.
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #69
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant
PS, love these threads, it gets everyone fired up, wish I had Brumbys Email address to forward a link to !
premier@dpc.vic.gov.au

Taken directly from http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/pages/contact.html
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #70
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

G.a.f

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #71
fos408

Im suprised there is anywhere in Melbourne left to put a speed camera, there is that many. I am glad we moved to Sydney ,I can actually drive my car without constantly looking to see if I am 3km over the limit at before every pole and intersection. The joint sucks.
fos408 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #72
Teflon Turbo
Banned

nah sydney sucks
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #73
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The arguments some people use to justify or play down the speed camera issue are simply not relevant.
ie -
"they have slowed people down and thats a good thing" - sure cant argue with that
"if you dont speed you wont get caught - whats the problem" cant argue with that either

BUT, what about the forementioned 'bigger picture'

If everyone in the country stopped speeding tomorrow, and not a single infringement notice was issued ever again, what do you think would happen to the road toll? It sure as well wouldn't go down. I'd argue that it would actually go up.

This whole speed camera orgy is corruption at its worse. There are steps that could be taken to reduce the road death, but instead there is an obsessive and singular focus on speed. In turn, the government need death on the roads to justify the cameras which generate the income they have come to rely on.

So in effect, our government is allowing people to die in order to generate income, none of which is spent on making the roads safer.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #74
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
The arguments some people use to justify or play down the speed camera issue are simply not relevant.
ie -
"they have slowed people down and thats a good thing" - sure cant argue with that
"if you dont speed you wont get caught - whats the problem" cant argue with that either

BUT, what about the forementioned 'bigger picture'

If everyone in the country stopped speeding tomorrow, and not a single infringement notice was issued ever again, what do you think would happen to the road toll? It sure as well wouldn't go down. I'd argue that it would actually go up.

This whole speed camera orgy is corruption at its worse. There are steps that could be taken to reduce the road death, but instead there is an obsessive and singular focus on speed. In turn, the government need death on the roads to justify the cameras which generate the income they have come to rely on.

So in effect, our government is allowing people to die in order to generate income, none of which is spent on making the roads safer.
Then the argument would be speed limits are too high, limits would be dropped cameras would start making money and the next thing you know we will have a max speed limit of 80Km/h in this country, laying down too B/S sped enforcement is the first step in giving the government control.

Funny thing is when the Coffin cheaters do a run thou WA and the cops trail em how Manny speeding fines and traffic fines do you think they issue, my guess is F-all and even if they did issue the fine it wouldn't be payed!! Why...... cause the Bikie's don't give a F &*^