Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
FORCED F6
VIC The Place to Boost

Default Contaminated Fuel In Melbourne

Contaminate fuel suspected to have damaged cars across Melbourne

THOUSANDS of Victorians' cars have seized this week after a mystery fuel contamination.
The RACV and the Victorian Automobile Chamber of Commerce have reported cars needing urgent repairs for severely damaged engines, possibly as a result of contaminated fuel.
The source and type of contamination is still not known, but mechanics have reported most samples coming from small, unbranded fuel outlets.
RACV chief vehicle mechanic Michael Case urged all motorists to keep watch for signs of contaminated fuel when filling up at petrol stations.

Have you been affected or suspect you've bought contaminated fuel? Email us
Or phone our news desk on (03) 9292 1226

Vehicles that were running roughly, misfiring or were hard to start could be suffering from the fuel contamination, he said.
Motorists should look for a film of white powder on the exhaust pipe, an illuminated engine check light, a sickly sweet smell from the fuel and exhaust pipe, as well as white powder on spark plugs.
"If your vehicle shows any of these signs, stop driving immediately as continuing to drive the vehicle may result in extensive engine damage," Mr Case said.
Drivers have been advised to tow damaged cars to a qualified mechanic and ask for a fuel sample to be taken and analysed. Petrol stations where fuel was bought should also be contacted.
Melbourne fuel expert Ken Gracey, owner of Dyan Fuels, said he had never seen anything like the contaminated samples he had tested.
"Most petrol is a gold colour, this stuff is crystal clear," Mr Gracey said.
"Also, when I pulled the spark plugs out they looked like they had been dipped in talcum powder."
Mr Gracey had received calls from customers from most northern suburbs and some from the southeast.
Mobil service station spokesman Alan Bailey said it had received only a small number of calls.
"Based on the checks we have done to date we have no reason to suspect there is a widespread problem at Mobil," Mr Bailey said.
The VACC is believed to have met several Victorian mechanics on Wednesday night to discuss the issue.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/37751/me...aminated-fuel/

Quote:
Melbourne: warning on contaminated fuel

The RACV and VACC have reported that thousands of Victorians’ cars have experienced engine trouble this week after a mystery fuel contamination.

Although the exact source of the contamination is as yet unknown several mechanics have reported samples from small, unbranded fuel outlets in Melbourne’s northern and south-eastern suburbs as being the culprit. As a result many cars have been sent for urgent repairs, some even reporting engine failure.

Although hard to detect, the contaminated fuel is clear (like water) in colour. Petrol usually has a gold tinge.

Signs of contaminated fuel include:

* Engine running rough or stalling
* Engine harder to start than usual
* Misfiring, pinging or backfiring
* “Engine check” light illuminated
* Sickly sweet smelling exhaust fumes
* White powdery residue in tail pipe and/or on spark plugs

If your vehicle shows any of these signs it is recommended you stop driving as soon as possible and get your car to a mechanic.

Updated:

The VACC have this afternoon issued a statement with the following advice to consumers who believe they have purchased faulty or sub-standard fuel:

* Seek advice as soon as possible from a qualified motor mechanic
* Advise the service station where you bought the fuel from that you have a problem
* Retain your proof of purchase, which may be a receipt or card transaction docket, identifying the time and date of purchase of fuel
* Ask the mechanic to collect a sample of the suspect fuel (approximately 2 litres if possible) and either the mechanic or the consumer should retain this sample until the issue is resolved
* Each consumer will have to decide whether to ask the mechanic to fix the problem or wait until the investigation of this matter has concluded
* If consumers need their motor vehicle immediately they might chose to request a mechanic to fix the problem and seek compensation from the fuel retailer
* Consumers may also contact Consumers Affairs Victoria on 1300 558 181 for further advice
Old 07-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Teflon Turbo
Banned

man that's stuffed!

so what's the go, use brand name servos?
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 01:21 AM   #4
Drewie
Starter Motor

Any updates on this contaminated fuel, need to fill up this morning and not sure where to go, some reports are suggesting Mobil but have seen mention of Shell and Caltex as well, not sure what to believe.
Drewie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 01:33 AM   #5
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember the last 1 about 5 years ago with both auto fuel and airplane fuel it was Mobil and a whole stack of light planes had to be grounded and the then ceo she was vigourously denying it. Ive never used it since so no probs for me thank god
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 02:47 AM   #6
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most important thing that anybody in Melbourne can do is keep your receipts. What would be even better is if you keep your tax invoices for every purchase of fuel that you put in your car.

If you have problems, they will make themselves evident pretty quickly. If you keep those tax invoices, then you can track down what brand you got that bad batch of fuel from, and it will make it so much easier to get compensation from that company. Furthermore, it will make it much easier in any dealings with Consumer Affairs Victoria, if it gets to that stage.

Remember, this problem most likely is not going to be constrained to one outlet. If you drive around the city every day, stopping at BP, Caltex, Shell, Mobil, Woolworths and any other that you can care to mention, you are going to have trouble finding the source of your problem if you don't keep your receipts.

These companies have insurance arms/insurance policies that cover this stuff. They are not going to go out of their way to screw you, for want of keeping their name out of the bad press. There are two outlets in particular. that will become one soon, that would very much like to keep themselves in the ACCC's good books. But, it's going to be so much more difficult (however, not impossible) to rectify your problem with Company X, Company X's insurance arm/company, CAV and ACCC if you have no proof of purchase. I know I'm repeating myself, but keep those tax invoices for your fuel. Even if you don't do it for the tax man, do it for your benefit.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I filled up with United 98 on Tuesday and since then I've experienced about three unusually long cranking sessions to start. I'll keep an eye on it. Luckily I keep all my invoices for business tax purposes.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

There was a thing on Today Tonight last night about this. Spark plugs were gunked up with some sort of freaky white residue - never seen anything like it myself.

First thing I thought when I saw it was Ethanol or Toluene as being the culprit but they said that their tests had ruled out Ethanol...
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Conflicting reports re: United outlets. They officially say they do not have any contaminated fuel after testing their fuel supplies, but a customer has said her car's engine light came on and it wouldn't accellerate after filling up at United and driving away.

There is also mention of silicon oil being added to the contaminated petrol by mistake.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/com...63-661,00.html

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 08-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look for a white residue on your tail pipe for a hint that somethings wrong.
I wouldn't be leaving it too long if I was experiencing problems, could be up for a new motor.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #11
FORCED F6
VIC The Place to Boost

Thanks for the heads up guys, never really thought about that part (keeping invoices for the unexpected to occur)... Although I only ever fill up at BP using 98oct
Old 11-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #12
FORCED F6
VIC The Place to Boost

Just wondering if anyone on here has experienced this disaster??? (although I hope not)
Old 11-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last I heard was that someone at Mobil incorrectly mixed in 30% ethanol into the low octane mix.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #14
FORCED F6
VIC The Place to Boost

You know, I wish they could be more specific in which areas exactly and which petrol stations were affected...
Old 11-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #15
Marduk
BFII XR6

Is this limited to just Regular or does this effect Premium Unleaded as well?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #16
gocruzin
Ford tragic

Isn't there ony two refineries in australia Mobil and Bp suply the other companies with fuel don't they?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #17
FORCED F6
VIC The Place to Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocruzin
Isn't there ony two refineries in australia Mobil and Bp suply the other companies with fuel don't they?
Well thats what I know also, and if thats the case are we talking about 50% of australia's fuel contaminated??? It did only mention Victoria so it is certain outlets/petrol stations using Mobil(suppliers)fuel and I would like to know which one does so we stop bloody using that specific petrol station (if its stopped otherwise, thats good)...
Old 11-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #18
just_pazz
Ford Convert

i thought shell had a refinery... i could be wrong though.
just_pazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin

There is also mention of silicon oil being added to the contaminated petrol by mistake.
Ch 10 News is saying RACV is saying this after they tested their fuel.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/391...rne-motorists/
Old 11-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #20
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_pazz
i thought shell had a refinery... i could be wrong though.
you are right

the shell refinery is here in geelong or i am seeing things

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #21
gocruzin
Ford tragic

Yeah your right Shell has one my brother just told me so its shell and mobil not bp
now im gonna have to google it
Old 11-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXR6BOSS
"Most petrol is a gold colour, this stuff is crystal clear," Mr Gracey said.
Hmm, I wonder how I find out what colour my LPG is ?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #23
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
I filled up with United 98 on Tuesday and since then I've experienced about three unusually long cranking sessions to start. I'll keep an eye on it. Luckily I keep all my invoices for business tax purposes.
I've experienced the same thing in the past few days but didn't think of it until I read you post. This evening I was cranking for over 30 seconds and this was after the car had been running for an hour. Got my fuel from the BP in Ballan on the Western Hwy.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #24
andrewts
White Car Driver

The only thing I have noticed tank before this one is really bad economy (only 275km to a tank) and a rough as guts idle. Filled up with a different brew and it seems like business as usual this week.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #25
iCat
doof doof doof doof

i was told that LPG was involved in the contamination too - can anyone confirm that? i haven't seen anything further about it though, so wonder if it was just scare mongering?
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #26
gocruzin
Ford tragic

Nah mate it was silicon oil in petrol
Old 11-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #27
just_pazz
Ford Convert

yeah i've been hearing silicon oil aswell.
just_pazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 03:54 AM   #28
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk
Is this limited to just Regular or does this effect Premium Unleaded as well?
I believe BP ship Ultimate 98 over from WA, the rest comes from Mobil's Yarraville terminal. That's just what I have read and heard from people that should know, don't take that to the bank.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:57 AM   #29
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Look for a white residue on your tail pipe for a hint that somethings wrong.
As well as on the spark plugs.

Could be worth a look.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #30
Dauphin
Irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
I've experienced the same thing in the past few days but didn't think of it until I read you post. This evening I was cranking for over 30 seconds and this was after the car had been running for an hour. Got my fuel from the BP in Ballan on the Western Hwy.
30 seconds sounds like a very long time. Mine were maybe 5 - 10 seconds max.

After my initial report, I haven't had a problem since that day. Car is performing as usual (power, economy, starting), think it was just coincidence.