Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
TK-421

Default Ghosts and psychics..

your thoughts?
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 
Default Re: Ghosts and psychics..

My thoughts.

This is a car forum, go somewhere else

4 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #3
TK-421

what is the problem? i m not pushing it nor condoning..just asking for opinions..
Old 04-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

It's nonsense for the gullible and weak minded.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
My thoughts.

This is a car forum, go somewhere else .

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Party pooper...
7 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #6
Danny
GT4.

What Sox said.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 10:49 PM   #7
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All BS. No such things, no after life either.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #8
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Enough said; unclaimed since 1980: http://www.skeptics.com.au/features/prize/
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 10:51 PM   #9
TK-421

nothing more than preying on the vulnerable and suffering.

Last edited by TK-421; 04-10-2017 at 10:56 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-10-2017, 11:29 PM   #10
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
All BS. No such things, no after life either.
Tell that to my mother in law who was clinically dead and being wheeled to the morg when she came back... Doctors and nurses where a little stunned to say the least.

Only the nieve or scared write off what they can't get their heads around.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 11:38 PM   #11
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

I went to see a psychic once...

I knocked on their door...

Psychic: Who's there?
Me: You should know shouldn't you?

end thread /
Old 04-10-2017, 11:40 PM   #12
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
It's nonsense for the gullible and weak minded.
Use the force...
Old 05-10-2017, 02:17 AM   #13
Lunch
Wait, what?

I'm not trying to start an argument, this is just my opinion..
Being dead and your body starting up again doesn't prove there's ghosts but had she been dead and an apparition appeared in front of the doctors and told them to wait because she'll be back in 5 then that's a different story..
there is no place for ghosts in modern science, I completely understand our ancestors for their misguided beliefs in superstition because that's what they were told to believe and they were threatened with eternal punishment if they didn't, at the end of the day it was just another form of control, dangled in front of uneducated minds but we aren't those people anymore, just as those people progressed from being sun worshippers that lived in caves and feared the moons wrath, there is no such thing as God, there is no such thing as heaven or hell nor is there such a thing as an immortal soul, we evolved from single cell organisms, we share a common ancestor with every living thing on the planet if you trace it back far enough and in that, we weren't the product of creation by a higher being, we are far more unique than that, the conditions were right and stable enough for long enough and life happened and unfortunately, when you die, you die, there is nothing left to go to an afterlife, the only way we live on is in the memories we leave behind with the living and until the day when my dad turns up and asks me if I need a hand when I'm mowing the lawn, that is what I will believe..
If that day ever happens, I can promise you this, the things I do when I'm alone will never be the same again!
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 02:53 AM   #14
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch View Post
I'm not trying to start an argument, this is just my opinion..
Being dead and your body starting up again doesn't prove there's ghosts but had she been dead and an apparition appeared in front of the doctors and told them to wait because she'll be back in 5 then that's a different story..
there is no place for ghosts in modern science, I completely understand our ancestors for their misguided beliefs in superstition because that's what they were told to believe and they were threatened with eternal punishment if they didn't, at the end of the day it was just another form of control, dangled in front of uneducated minds but we aren't those people anymore, just as those people progressed from being sun worshippers that lived in caves and feared the moons wrath, there is no such thing as God, there is no such thing as heaven or hell nor is there such a thing as an immortal soul, we evolved from single cell organisms, we share a common ancestor with every living thing on the planet if you trace it back far enough and in that, we weren't the product of creation by a higher being, we are far more unique than that, the conditions were right and stable enough for long enough and life happened and unfortunately, when you die, you die, there is nothing left to go to an afterlife, the only way we live on is in the memories we leave behind with the living and until the day when my dad turns up and asks me if I need a hand when I'm mowing the lawn, that is what I will believe..
If that day ever happens, I can promise you this, the things I do when I'm alone will never be the same again!
Maybe I should have stated that whilst my mother in law was dead, she had some unexplainable experience by science and modern 'enlightenment'. She can recite the experience in detail.

Oh and she; I'd has at a guess, has more education credentials than anyone of AFF and internationally acclaimed publications in the medical sciences field, as well as having her publications become critical parts of the medical profession curriculum's in many different countries around the world.

All that to say... you'd be surprised how many academics around the world (both western and eastern) have a very strong spiritual beliefs.

So don't fall into the trap of citing some random rubbish you may or may not have heard from some guy/girl somewhere who says anyone who believes in spiritual things are all uneducated.

What you may or may not believe is fine, but don't rabbit on about how stupid people are who don't have the same stance as you. Cause somehow you are the font of all knowledge and everyone should bow to your awesome enlightenment. That is simply another form of control, one which you want to place upon others to confirm to your beliefs.

Just my opinion.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 05-10-2017, 06:31 AM   #15
Lunch
Wait, what?

How lucky for her that she's published in medical journals, that's quite an achievement and she can be the most educated and wise person on the planet, doesn't mean I'm reciting anything I've read or heard, while I've haven't done the research myself, those words are mine and mine alone and like I said, was just an opinion, at the end of the day, there's only 1 way to find out and being capable of independent thought, I'll reserve my judgment until I've witnessed it for myself, thanks
Old 05-10-2017, 07:27 AM   #16
LTDHO
The one and only

We do not use our brain to it's full capacity so there is a lot we do not understand.

This is one of them.

I am not saying that there is or isn't other beings, being spiritual or other, but there is something.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2017, 07:29 AM   #17
Sioso
irregular member

Instead of relying on someone else's experience or the scientific community for your answers you can practice meditation and find out for your self.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 07:57 AM   #18
Lunch
Wait, what?

I should clarify that I was not suggesting that people that believe that stuff are uneducated nor that i am more intelligent than anyone that does, I meant that previous generations had that stuff installed in them from a young age and threats from a higher being weren't as questioned as they are today, I understand all sorts of people believe in different things..
Old 05-10-2017, 08:35 AM   #19
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
Tell that to my mother in law who was clinically dead and being wheeled to the morg when she came back... Doctors and nurses where a little stunned to say the least.

Only the nieve or scared write off what they can't get their heads around.
This type of thing has happened many times, with plenty of theories.

Just because we don't fully understand the mechanism that is the human body, doesn't mean there's other means at work.

There's absolutely no evidence to support ghosts and physic ability in any shape or form.
Challenges have been made, and will continue to be made, and until real science can 100% prove it, then I'll go along with what I said earlier.

Look up cold/hot reading for a start on how so called physics do what they do, it's complete nonsense...
Old 05-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #20
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

“The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”—Bertrand Russell.
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #21
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a customer who has been coming to my store for over 20 yrs who claims to be psychic and a number of the staff have been to see her claiming shes incredible etc. my reply"if she was psychic in any way, given how annoying sickly sweet she is, she would know how what I think when I see her and walk straight back out!" ghosts im not too sure about however....
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 11:51 AM   #22
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
has more education credentials than anyone of AFF and internationally acclaimed publications in the medical sciences field, as well as having her publications become critical parts of the medical profession curriculum's in many different countries around the world.
Even smart people hallucinate... I'm guessing that although she works in the medical sciences, it isnt in neurology.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #23
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Maybe I should have stated that whilst my mother in law was dead, she had some unexplainable experience by science and modern 'enlightenment'. She can recite the experience in detail.

Oh and she; I'd has at a guess, has more education credentials than anyone of AFF and internationally acclaimed publications in the medical sciences field, as well as having her publications become critical parts of the medical profession curriculum's in many different countries around the world.

All that to say... you'd be surprised how many academics around the world (both western and eastern) have a very strong spiritual beliefs.

So don't fall into the trap of citing some random rubbish you may or may not have heard from some guy/girl somewhere who says anyone who believes in spiritual things are all uneducated.

What you may or may not believe is fine, but don't rabbit on about how stupid people are who don't have the same stance as you. Cause somehow you are the font of all knowledge and everyone should bow to your awesome enlightenment. That is simply another form of control, one which you want to place upon others to confirm to your beliefs.

Just my opinion.
So, what happened?
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #24
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Even smart people hallucinate... I'm guessing that although she works in the medical sciences, it isnt in neurology.
I'm guessing it's hard to hallucinate if you're clinically dead at the time...

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 05-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #25
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

But back to the OPs question.

I've met many so called psychics, futurists whatever they wanna label themselves as, some have some weirdly wired brains. It's like talking to a robot whose wires get crossed every few mins. I'm not going to say the have an undiagnosed condition... But I'm also not going to say they haven't either. What I have found though that's very interesting is the story of people who have gotten out of that lifestyle/situation/whatever you call it. I remember one guy describe it as fun and exciting at first to be able to "hear a particular voice" (what that voice is IMO debatable). But as the months and years go by, the voice becomes voices that literally make it almost impossible to sleep and their life becomes a living nightmare.

It's not until they get help that they can go back to a normal existence and no more voices.

I remember back many years to my time at school; a chick who decided she wanted to get into that stuff, nice enough, a bit hippy like but seemed relatively normal. She went from that to spaced out and flat out weird to try and talk to by the end of my senior year. No idea what happened to her. But the change was very noticeable.

Now are all the people I've spoken to with this 'interest' clinically nuts? No idea and I'm not a psychologist so I can not reliably diagnose their conditions. But as a regular guy I can say that whatever they were into messed with their heads big time. And those who got help, their stories are fascinating.

As for ghosts, no idea, not seen one or know personally of anyone who has seen one. There doesn't seem to be any reliable info to support their existence either, but there are stories of those who claim to have seen them. So I have serious doubts.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 05-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #26
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
So, what happened?
I'll pm ya. To put it here would just stir up the cynical, close minded. And totally take away from the OPs intended discussion I'm guessing.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 05-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #27
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I believe in the power of the brain. If someone believes, TRULY believes, something, then it can have amazing power.

And those who DON'T believe? It will never happen for them.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #28
NickosBF2XRT

sad to see many close minded people in one place lol..
Old 05-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #29
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch View Post
I should clarify that I was not suggesting that people that believe that stuff are uneducated nor that i am more intelligent than anyone that does, I meant that previous generations had that stuff installed in them from a young age and threats from a higher being weren't as questioned as they are today, I understand all sorts of people believe in different things..
I don't believe in any religion, any deity, psychics, any "higher being" or that there was any design in creating the universe or any life within it, but I do think there's something going on there that we haven't yet figured out so I keep an open mind.

I'm a big believer in all scientific accomplishments but using it as a means to disprove the existence of something doesn't seem logical IMPO. It doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it just means we don't understand how it works yet. Science still says the EMDrive can't be real because it breaks our current understanding of physics regarding action/reaction laws by producing thrust without fuel, but it is real and even nasa have replicated its effect.

Aliens on the other hand .... hells yes! Just going by sheer probability based off the numbers of stars/galaxies in the universe, something had to have evolved before we did!

Last edited by leesa; 05-10-2017 at 02:58 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 02:53 PM   #30
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickosEL View Post
sad to see many close minded people in one place lol..
If you mean the people who believe it's nonsense, then not so, at least not for me.

I'm very open minded about it and have asked to be shown verifiable proof many times about psychic powers, to date I haven't seen any.
My mind will always be open about it, but I can only say what I've seen, and so far it's nothing.
Prove me otherwise, I'm all ears...

What I feel is far sadder than close minded people, are the Psychic charlatans ripping off the public and providing them with false hope and made up information.
3 users like this post: