Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-08-2017, 07:49 PM   #31
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Px2 Rangers becoming faulty?

I think that the buying public are having their expectations lowered in regard to reliability.Vehicle manufacturers have every one convinced that faults are to be expected in mass production.But realistically when spending $30,000 to well over $100,000 we should expect to get something that will be completely trouble free for at least 250,000 kms.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #32
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunga View Post
What do you think happens every time you turn the key off all modern diesels have a butterfly valve in the intake manifold to strangle the air supply when switched off .To answer your question they already have one.
Are you saying that all the guy (from trublu's video) had to do was turn off his car and the engine would have suffocated itself?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-08-2017, 09:32 PM   #33
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very good point, considering you see posts here and elsewhere alluding to the fact that after 20,000 km they haven't had a problem ! Really... I would be a little bit ****ed if spent 50G on a vehicle and it developed problems within a 2 year time frame.
Isn't the whole idea of buying new to avoid the issues of buying someone else's dramas. Seems you can just go straight to the source these days and cut out the middleman.
We used to buy 11 Commodores in one hit in the 80's thru to late 90's for rep work, kept for 3 years max covering all of Qld and as far south as Taree. In that time nothing failed/died to stop someone getting home. It would have probably been the same outcome for the equivalent Falcons of the era if that was the companies choice. You would think that out of 11 cars you would get a bit of lemon over at least 3 turnovers.
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2017, 09:32 PM   #34
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
I think that the buying public are having their expectations lowered in regard to reliability.Vehicle manufacturers have every one convinced that faults are to be expected in mass production.But realistically when spending $30,000 to well over $100,000 we should expect to get something that will be completely trouble free for at least 250,000 kms.
Now back to reality. Is what it is. Ranger is certainly no worse in terms of quality. My last car was a jeep wrangler. I traded it because I got sick of all the recalls. $55K, at 40K on the clock I'd had a dozen recalls. Then the B series falcon fiasco, I still have one of those turds in the driveway with numerous faults sub 200K. Before that was a Porsche. $150K, I still have it and under 60K it has had numerous issues too. Blown stereo, cables for the soft top snaping, voltage reg dying and killing batteries. I don't think the evidence is there to be saying PX2 rangers are junk just yet. Are we saying because its thai built. If so I call BS. My thai built navara was the most reliable car I've had. Just like my navara a lot of cars will pass your magic 250K figure with zero issues, some won't. A lot of PX1s have and unless build quality suddenly fell off a cliff(doubt it) with the PX2 then I expect a lot of PX2s will too. When a few blow up the owners will get on here and whinge like an old mole making it seem like the sky is falling. **** happens, even with new cars.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #35
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
Very good point, considering you see posts here and elsewhere alluding to the fact that after 20,000 km they haven't had a problem ! Really... I would be a little bit ****ed if spent 50G on a vehicle and it developed problems within a 2 year time frame.
Isn't the whole idea of buying new to avoid the issues of buying someone else's dramas. Seems you can just go straight to the source these days and cut out the middleman.
We used to buy 11 Commodores in one hit in the 80's thru to late 90's for rep work, kept for 3 years max covering all of Qld and as far south as Taree. In that time nothing failed/died to stop someone getting home. It would have probably been the same outcome for the equivalent Falcons of the era if that was the companies choice. You would think that out of 11 cars you would get a bit of lemon over at least 3 turnovers.
One word, warranty. You spend $50K on a new car and it ****s itself then its Ford coin to fix it. The reason I bought a PX2 with ford warranty rather than a cheaper PX1 or something older with discretionary warranty.
Old 20-08-2017, 09:39 PM   #36
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Are you saying that all the guy (from trublu's video) had to do was turn off his car and the engine would have suffocated itself?
Hit google. Lots of fun clips of runaway diesels on yuotube. Trains, busses, trucks, cars. Good reason to get a snorkel fitted I figure. A hit of CO2 or a rag to shut it down if shutting off the ignition doesn't choke it.
Old 20-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #37
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think this choking an over revving idea probably doesn't really work because by the time you have realised what is happening you wouldn't have time to find something to block the air supply.Over revving happens quite quickly so there isn't very much thinking and finding time before its all over
Old 20-08-2017, 10:13 PM   #38
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
One word, warranty. You spend $50K on a new car and it ****s itself then its Ford coin to fix it. The reason I bought a PX2 with ford warranty rather than a cheaper PX1 or something older with discretionary warranty.
Not taking aim at any particular vehicle, just have the same sentiments as Tassie that the reality these days appears to be people seem to be happy putting up with retuning a car to a dealer for issues that range from niggling to outright dangerous seems to be classed as par for the course.
I may be an exception these days but I really don't find the idea of going thru all the dramas of dropping off a car for a repair then getting to work then picking it up much fun anymore regardless of who is paying for it.
Yep the law of % say there are a lot of people that don't have a dramas, any problems whatsoever but geez I feel for the people that do.
Having said that I have always bought second hand quality vehicles as our primary car. We have had some luck over the years considering we keep them for around 7 years at time. Do not ask about my secondary hobby ones as that is where I lose all my faculties and generally it has something with a Ford badge on it.
Old 20-08-2017, 10:27 PM   #39
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
Not taking aim at any particular vehicle, just have the same sentiments as Tassie that the reality these days appears to be people seem to be happy putting up with retuning a car to a dealer for issues that range from niggling to outright dangerous seems to be classed as par for the course.
I may be an exception these days but I really don't find the idea of going thru all the dramas of dropping off a car for a repair then getting to work then picking it up much fun anymore regardless of who is paying for it.
Yep the law of % say there are a lot of people that don't have a dramas, any problems whatsoever but geez I feel for the people that do.
Having said that I have always bought second hand quality vehicles as our primary car. We have had some luck over the years considering we keep them for around 7 years at time. Do not ask about my secondary hobby ones as that is where I lose all my faculties and generally it has something with a Ford badge on it.
You're not wrong. I share your sentiments. The constant recalls and drama drove me away from Jeep. It was great car, no real issues. Having to take time off work to return the car was a massive pain in the ****. Here's hoping Ford have their act together on the Ranger. I was borderline Navara/Ranger. Head said nissan, heart said ford.
Old 20-08-2017, 10:47 PM   #40
nstg8a

Terri had the same issues, in that the vast majority were perfectly fine. But a few were absolute dogs, and those are the ones that get all the attention.

No one goes online to gush about how perfect their new car is, but if something is wrong then plenty make sure everyone knows about it.

Ranger clearly has its own common faults, like every car has.

I agree with what was mentioned earlier, people have become used to their new 70k purchase having to make the odd trip back to the dealers for warranty work and that to me is the disappointing bit.
These aren't povo pack Asian imports, theyre expensive and from a reputable brand.

I notice ford is doing five year warranties on ranger and transit for a limited time. Bit of a carrot to allay some fears?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2017, 11:52 PM   #41
leesa

Quote:
Hit google. Lots of fun clips of runaway diesels on yuotube. Trains, busses, trucks, cars. Good reason to get a snorkel fitted I figure. A hit of CO2 or a rag to shut it down if shutting off the ignition doesn't choke it.
I did, I spent over an hour today watching a lot of videos on it. Some from mechanic shops showing what to do if it happens, some from farm workers, some from general drivers with what look like fairly new cars, and not one of them said turn the car off as there's a valve in the intake that'll block the the air and suffocate the engine.

If I google it, I find something called a swirl flap which "are small butterfly valves fitted to the intake manifold just before the cylinder head intake ports of many modern automotive diesel engines". (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swirl_flap)
It also then says that the valves are smaller than the runners and therefore lets air pass around them even when closed. So that says to me that those valves aren't designed to block airflow and probably wouldn't stop a runaway.

I couldn't find a definitive answer on whether the ranger has a throttlebody-style valve either and whether it stays shut when the car is turned off mid-runaway.

There were lots of youtube videos of people blocking the intake themselves, further back than the cylinders and that seemed to kill the engine pretty quickly. I find it hard to believe that the guy from the linked video didn't try switching his car off, if what dunga says is true.

I guess I'd just like to know if dunga's advice is because they're familiar enough with the ranger engine to feel comfortable in telling people that those valves will block air flow so just turn the key off, or if their advice is wishful thinking/based on a hunch/etc.

Wouldn't it be good to know - conclusively - from someone who works extensively on the rangers' engines and can talk on how to prevent it (if needed), or confirm that it's not needed, or what to do if it ever happens?
Old 20-08-2017, 11:56 PM   #42
leesa

Quote:
I think this choking an over revving idea probably doesn't really work because by the time you have realised what is happening you wouldn't have time to find something to block the air supply.Over revving happens quite quickly so there isn't very much thinking and finding time before its all over
That's my query. Is there something that can be installed to block off the air intake with the flick of a switch from inside the car that emulates someone stuffing a rag in the intake without having to get out/lift the bonnet amongst the smoke/find the intake/block it off and hope for the best?

According to burnz you can buy one aftermarket. According to dunga it's not needed because the ranger has intake valves that'll do it itself.
Old 21-08-2017, 12:18 AM   #43
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Faults have always been around new cars since I began driving cars in the early 70's, Murphy's law dictates this and believe me I'm not B.S. you, this is fact.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2017, 09:06 AM   #44
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Not at all i dont know the circumstances why it run away but an engine wont run whithout oxygen maybe he turned the key off maybe he didn't
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #45
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick74GT View Post
We've done 30000k in ours and haven't had any problems. It's been great.

For what it's worth
I'm sure you are very happy with your trouble free new car,but a lot of people are unhappy because of faults.If you live 10 kms from the dealer and get it fixed quickly you are probably half happy.but if the trip is 100 kms and you don't have your car for a week will you be so cheery?when I look at this forum in5-6 years and you tell us you have clocked over 200,000 without faults then it will be a good vehicle.
Old 21-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #46
mick74GT

Quote:
I'm sure you are very happy with your trouble free new car,but a lot of people are unhappy because of faults.If you live 10 kms from the dealer and get it fixed quickly you are probably half happy.but if the trip is 100 kms and you don't have your car for a week will you be so cheery?when I look at this forum in5-6 years and you tell us you have clocked over 200,000 without faults then it will be a good vehicle.
You could say the same thing about any new car.

I have a fleet of Rangers, BT50s, and Hiluxes at work. The Rangers and BT50s have done more KM (one 300k +) than the Hiluxes. One of the Hiluxes has caused us the most problems by far. Blown Head gasket, Noisy Diff, failed wheels bearing etc and everytime it is off the road we have to hire a car and it costs us money. The other ones are ok. It doesn't mean all Hiluxes are lemons just that one maybe!

But the fact is, as you said, until these Rangers build up a good reputation, which will only come with time, this kind of thing will continue to come up.
E3 Maloo Black Edition
VW Golf GTD - Wifes Weapon
mick74GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #47
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
yes but not necessary, as the intercooler is the catch can.
simply drain the intercooler.
Yep old diesels without Intercoolers were more prone to Runaway, but its still not that common. certainly on anything newer.

I'm struggling to see how engine oil can make its way through the intercooler system to the intake on a Ranger, must be a lot of oil in there!

I'm wondering if these runaways are caused buy overfilling the engine with Oil.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2017, 03:54 PM   #48
snowcone

Saw the video of the Ranger runaway today I think on F
acebook but I can't find it now.
It was in the USA and it was belching out white smoke like you wouldn't believe and absolutely screaming it's head of for quite a long time. I was expecting it to throw a leg out of bed but it just kept on revving forever
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2017, 10:39 PM   #49
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You're not wrong. I share your sentiments. The constant recalls and drama drove me away from Jeep. It was great car, no real issues. Having to take time off work to return the car was a massive pain in the ****. Here's hoping Ford have their act together on the Ranger. I was borderline Navara/Ranger. Head said nissan, heart said ford.
Ha ha. I gotta laugh. Our first ever decent purchase way back in 2000 was a XJ sport, 4 years old and probably the most I have ever spent on a car even up until now. We had that for 7 years and it never let us down on the road. I loved that thing, after every trip over 100 ks I would get out and give it a kiss on the bonnet. I kid you not.