Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Overpriced dealer service or not?
Nah, it's a rip, keep the change and you're better off 20 76.92%
You'd be crazy not to take advantage of somewhat dubious warranty 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
lamborghinifan

Default Servicing at the Dealer to Maintain Used Car Warranty..

So after some thoughts.

I purchased a v8 wmII caprice (yeah fairlane just doesn't cut it, even if they still made it) at a dealer, Sharp Motor Group, Tweed Heads.
Its only got 80k on the clock, and runs a dream.
When purchasing it, the car came with a 3yr limited warranty from the dealer, called "precision care."
I know these warranties are generally not worth much, but I have read all the fineprint, and it's pretty good, covers up to $1000 per claim, includes suspension components, ball joints, mechanical etc. The exclusions aren't too bad (belts, brake pads, trim etc.), but it must visit the dealer once a year. ( my local mechanic does the intermediate services anyway)

So..
The dealer is a fair way away, and it would involve an overnight trip (to the beach at least!)The dealer in question costs $460+travel costs etc takes it to approx $720 all up.

My local mechanic does the same basic oil and filter service for approx $220

Even as I write this I think I've convinced myself that the gamble isn't worth the overpriced dealer servicing, but what are peoples experience with this sort of thing, or this dealer, bearing in mind the last caprice (series 1) I had had a litany of problems...
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Servicing at the Dealer to Maintain Used Car Warranty..

From a purely $$ point of view you are better off with the local $220 service.

If you took it in yearly to maintain the warranty that'd be $2160 and did local mechanic services in between (3x $220) that's a total of $2820 for 3 years of service and warranty.

Or just pay your local mechanic $1320 for 6 services in 3 years and pocket $1500 in the event something fails (which warranty only covers $1k anyway)
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2017, 09:28 PM   #3
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like you already know the answer.

I couldn't get that warranty with my G6E, too many kms, but they did offer a warranty I could purchase, and it just didn't seem worth the bother. In the end, car was pretty much faultless. The only things i've had to fix have cost less than they wanted to charge me to buy the warranty in the first place.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghinifan View Post
So after some thoughts.

I purchased a v8 wmII caprice (yeah fairlane just doesn't cut it, even if they still made it) at a dealer, Sharp Motor Group, Tweed Heads.
Its only got 80k on the clock, and runs a dream.
When purchasing it, the car came with a 3yr limited warranty from the dealer, called "precision care."
I know these warranties are generally not worth much, but I have read all the fineprint, and it's pretty good, covers up to $1000 per claim, includes suspension components, ball joints, mechanical etc. The exclusions aren't too bad (belts, brake pads, trim etc.), but it must visit the dealer once a year. ( my local mechanic does the intermediate services anyway)

So..
The dealer is a fair way away, and it would involve an overnight trip (to the beach at least!)The dealer in question costs $460+travel costs etc takes it to approx $720 all up.

My local mechanic does the same basic oil and filter service for approx $220

Even as I write this I think I've convinced myself that the gamble isn't worth the overpriced dealer servicing, but what are peoples experience with this sort of thing, or this dealer, bearing in mind the last caprice (series 1) I had had a litany of problems...
Give us an update on how the WMII is like to live with as I was looking at one too, good value for money at the moment.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2017, 09:58 PM   #5
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hopefully you pick up on any warranty related issues before the first service even comes around. Such as pre existing issues you didn't notice on inspection. Best of both worlds, have the warranty repair done then never get the first service done.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2017, 11:22 PM   #6
lamborghinifan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Hopefully you pick up on any warranty related issues before the first service even comes around. Such as pre existing issues you didn't notice on inspection. Best of both worlds, have the warranty repair done then never get the first service done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Hard guy to deal with, went there with tools years ago and had no interest in selling anything. Simply asked what part I wanted. He would the get back to me within a week or two when he had a chance to look for it.
Right on a year now, so due for a service, but touch wood, the only money spent on it has been options like tint and tow bars etc. touch wood again.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:25 PM   #7
lamborghinifan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Give us an update on how the WMII is like to live with as I was looking at one too, good value for money at the moment.
Love it to bits. The sourness of the series 1 departure is forgotten with the significant improvements of the series 2. Would be too hard to lose that huge (and flat) boot and the rear seat kit and comfort, much as I'd love the g6e turbo. It's just too much bang for buck.
Old 15-08-2017, 11:15 PM   #8
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How soft is the warranty? Is it triple-ply?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #9
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
You could get an E Series Clubsport for what a WMII is selling for. I know what i'd rather...... an AUXR8
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post