Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
Chopped
as in chopped

Default Police caught baiting with P plated unmarked XR8

Just remember kiddies, don't street race and you won't get caught.
This is pretty sneaky though, so be careful not to take the bait >

"Unmarked police using P-plates

Furious drivers have discovered an unmarked police car on the side of a New South Wales road disguised with P-plates.

“NSW undercovers busted trying to manipulate road users,” said a post on Facebook page New South Wales Authority Exposed.

The image showed a silver Ford sedan on the side of a highway with green P-plates tucked into the number plates.

One commenter suggested it was designed to “fool the young ones and encourage street racing”. Police said simply it’s “not illegal” to disguise a mobile speed camera."

Sources -
https://www.facebook.com/NSWAuthorityExpo/

http://www.news.com.au/national/rush...825c370026d036
Old 18-04-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
steves6403
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Police caught baiting with P plated unmarked XR8

Maybe there on probation lol
3 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #3
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is an XR6 with fake XR8 badges- go figure that as well.

Do not like the fact that Police are misrepresenting a breach of law- given that P plate drivers cannot drive a blown XR8.

Their response may be a well- it is a non blown XR6- but still poor form.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
5 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Is an XR6 with fake XR8 badges- go figure that as well...
Nice catch! I didn't even notice (I wonder if my eyes are playing up and it's not an XR8 badge but XR6 turbo badges?)

If so, can the mods please edit the title to XR6 Turbo

Last edited by Chopped; 18-04-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 18-04-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
Sancho

Didn't someone get in trouble for putting "my family" stickers on a police car in Australia?
This user likes this post:
Old 18-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #6
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If anyone is that brain dead that they are unable to recognise an unmarked Police car with aerials on the boot lid/flashers in the windscreen/radar on the dash then they deserve everything they get
Old 18-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #7
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
If anyone is that brain dead that they are unable to recognise an unmarked Police car with aerials on the boot lid/flashers in the windscreen/radar on the dash then they deserve everything they get
Plenty of brain dead people around to be caught, police been doing this for decades & have been very successful.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2017, 12:46 PM   #8
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe the driver is still on his green Ps, makes it all legal then.
A new trap to look out for from now on.
Old 18-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #9
pursuit57
mortgage free !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
Didn't someone get in trouble for putting "my family" stickers on a police car in Australia?
And would it be the same if they had one of those " put some pork on your fork " promotion stickers ?
Old 18-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #10
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
Maybe the driver is still on his green Ps, makes it all legal then.
Until he gets pinged for speeding while in pursuit

Would he have to arrest himself then
Old 18-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #11
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
“NSW undercovers busted trying to manipulate road users,” said a post on Facebook page New South Wales Authority Exposed.
Haha not sure how an unmarked police car is manipulating people into speeding, or otherwise encouraging them to speed. The individual is the one who decides whether to speed or not, the speed camera just catches them at it. It doesn't magically trick them into going over the speed limit lol.

But as other posters have said this has been going on for years and it will continue because it's so good at catching morons who think the rules don't apply to them.
6 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #12
v8ltd
351 cubic inches of FURY!

A couple years ago while I was out for lunch in Dandenong (Vic) I walked past an unmarked VE SS police ute with two uniformed officers sitting inside
Old 18-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

Can you legally display 'P' plated if fully licenced?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 18-04-2017, 01:55 PM   #14
Chopped
as in chopped

" Police said simply it’s “not illegal” to disguise a mobile speed camera. "

Sounds like they can do whatever to it.
Old 18-04-2017, 01:56 PM   #15
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have no issue with the police using whatever vehicle in their duties to patrol to be under cover, ie an icecream truck. No portraying by them of breaking the law.

But if the instrument they are using is in itself a representation to the community of an illegality, then I have a problem.

So, in this instance, if a Green P plater cannot drive a turbo XR6 or a Supercharged XR8 in NSW, then what that vehicle portrays (assuming it is used) is an illegality and is an instrument of illegality.

The AFP under Proceeds of Crime will confiscate assets suspected of being an instrument of an offence.

Assuming a Green P plater is not legally allowed to drive a Turbo FGX XR6 or FGX XR8 I have real misgivings about this.

The Police do a difficult job, but must make sure they never represent to the public a breach of the law which they use as an instrument of law enforcement.

My 2 peanuts for the day......

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 18-04-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 18-04-2017, 02:02 PM   #16
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
I have no issue with the police using whatever vehicle in their duties to patrol to be under cover, ie an icecream truck. No portraying by them of breaking the law.

But if the instrument they are using is in itself a representation to the community of an illegality, then I have a problem.

So, in this instance, if a Green P plater cannot drive a turbo XR6 or a Supercharged XR8 in NSW, then what that vehicle portrays (assuming it is used) is an illegality and is an instrument of illegality.

The AFP under Proceeds of Crime will confiscate assets suspected of being an instrument of an offence.

Assuming a Green P plater is not legally allowed to drive a Turbo FGX XR6 or FGX XR8 I have real misgivings about this.
I think you will find that with proceeds of crime legislation that you are referring to, the offence must fall under the Crimes Act not the Road Transport Act.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #17
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I think you will find that with proceeds of crime legislation that you are referring to, the offence must fall under the Crimes Act not the Road Transport Act.
Agreed- one federal, the other State.

And the comparison is technically invalid, as you pointed out. Under Proceeds of Crime legislation the starting point is that the instrument is a suspected asset acquired from crime, and one of the planks under the legn is an instrument under the control of a person alleged to be doing a crime, and the object is an instrument used in that crime.

But, as a member of society, I do not like the idea of a body upholding the law misrepresenting a breach of the law and using that in policing. Is the start of a slide downhill- where does it end.

I personally have always found the NSW Police good, fair and professional, and assuming it is illegal for a green P Plater to drive a blown XR6 or XR8, I am a little disappointed by this.

Old 18-04-2017, 02:17 PM   #18
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Haha not sure how an unmarked police car is manipulating people into speeding, or otherwise encouraging them to speed. The individual is the one who decides whether to speed or not, the speed camera just catches them at it. It doesn't magically trick them into going over the speed limit lol.

But as other posters have said this has been going on for years and it will continue because it's so good at catching morons who think the rules don't apply to them.
Yep been happening for yonks

Police can do and use anything in their discretion during the course of their day to catch out drivers.

Hate to say it, dont be silly when driving.
*i should listen to my own advice*
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
Old 18-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #19
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I don't think they have thought this fully through. Yes; I don't feel sorry for any hoons that caught trying to drag them off but what about innocent third parties that may be killed or injured as a result? It's easy to envisage a situation where a hoon decides to have a drag race with this car and as a result, or in the following pursuit that would not otherwise have happened, the hoon collides with another car at speed or loses control and hits a pedestrian. There are enough idiots out there killing people without creating another excuse for them to do something stupid. How would they/you feel if it was one of their/your love ones that were innocent third party killed?

Last edited by aussiblue; 18-04-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 18-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #20
Sprint XR8

1. Automatic Exemption when driving for work related activities

Probationary drivers who are driving a probationary prohibited vehicle in the course of his or her employment and at his or her employer’s request or is self employed and an Australian Business Number (ABN) is in force in relation to the person's business is exempt from the probationary prohibited restrictions.

A person is not permitted to drive the vehicle at any time for social reasons or reasons unrelated to work.

A member of the police force who is the holder of a probationary car licence and the holder of an approved Driver Certificate Endorsement for a vehicle of that class is authorised to drive a probationary prohibited vehicle in the course of duty.
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/lice...ibited-vehicle
Old 18-04-2017, 02:58 PM   #21
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

I'd like to see a HWP car towing a Box trailer, pretty sure they've driven what look like tradie Utes before too.
Old 18-04-2017, 03:46 PM   #22
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've seen a Toyota landy tray back with three bales of hay on the tray, and a guy with a blue shirt pointing a funny device at passing vehicles. A fully marked crew were down the road with their collection books writing receipts to donors. Most refreshing cuppa I've had at a local Coffee Club I tell ya.
Old 18-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #23
Sancho

Was watching some australian highway patrol (some guy uploads wee shorts on youtube, addictive)

and they were in like a duck blind up a tree with a laser device lol.
Old 18-04-2017, 04:20 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
I've seen a Toyota landy tray back with three bales of hay on the tray, and a guy with a blue shirt pointing a funny device at passing vehicles. A fully marked crew were down the road with their collection books writing receipts to donors. Most refreshing cuppa I've had at a local Coffee Club I tell ya.
They used to do a similar thing in Vic 25 years ago with an F100 and hay bales. In NSW they once used a Prime mover and (empty) trailer to try to catch speeding Trucks on the Hume.
This idea was canned when they crashed the Truck trying to keep up with the rest of us

Then there's this from NSW in 2010.......
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/no-...b2109feb678631

Like others have already said, this has been going on for a long time.
Old 18-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #25
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So in NSW P1 and P2 drivers are banned from driving vehicles with power to mass greater than 130 kw tare per tonne.

So the xr6 turbo and fgx xr8 fall foul.

But a person can apply in NSW for an exemption to drive a prohibited vehicle if a prohibited vehicle needs to be driven for a genuine employment reason. If applied for and granted the exempted driver must carry the exemption notice letter issued by Roads and Maritime Services while driving the vehicle.

So I assume that the Police member driving the vehicle applied for the exemption and had the letter when driving the vehicle. So in that situation my concerns have no basis.

Sorry to NSW police if I shot from the hip and got it wrong-I have a pet hate of people misrepresenting facts to people to induce them to act to their detriment. Like crook company directors and accountants - is my favourite part of my job taking such on.

Old 18-04-2017, 06:05 PM   #26
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I don't have a problem with it if it gets some of the retards off the roads all the better. But I'm sure if a p plater drove around with their p plates partially obscured by the number plates like they have them displayed they would cop a fine so they are not setting a very good example .
Old 18-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #27
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Deleted.

Last edited by xisled; 18-04-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 18-04-2017, 07:51 PM   #28
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hold up, don't L or P plates displayed on your car need to reflect your license status? If the person in charge of this cam car isn't on their Ps then they can be fined for incorrectly displaying plates. A cam car while parked has the engine running with the officer sitting in it, on a road related area, it's a fine able offence.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 18-04-2017, 08:05 PM   #29
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:

The Police do a difficult job, but must make sure they never represent to the public a breach of the law which they use as an instrument of law enforcement.

My 2 peanuts for the day......

What's the AFP got to fo with NSW traffic
Old 18-04-2017, 08:45 PM   #30
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shadow View Post
What's the AFP got to fo with NSW traffic
Yeah- bit lateral- and a bit of a reach as PG2 pointed out.

In any event it would appear that the NSW Police did not misrepresent anything and that there was likely a P plater who had the necessary endorsement to drive the vehicle.

Closed Thread