Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #1
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default It get's worse...maybe..

G'day all....Yesterday I picked up an April copy of Motor Magazine..Get it when the mood takes me.. I wish I hadn't. In the letters section I read an addition that said that Ford is pulling out of V8 Supercars...WHAT !!!!!...You can't have V8 Supercars without Ford ,Can you ? .We know that there wouldn't be enough homologated Falcons after 2016/17..but what about the Mustang...ain't that a fast selling , sort of (once they get here), Ford V8 to have an official Ford Factory team even if the factory is in the US. ...Typical Head Office Ford stuff the loyal public fans attitude if indeed this letter is correct...Okay , win on Sunday , sell on Monday is not as true as the good ol' days but...Makes NO sense Ford and this pitiful attitude is disgraceful...That led me to start thinking this morning about are they going to leave us in the lurch for genuine spare parts in years to come for the outgoing Falcons , Territory , Focus etc...after the mandatory 10 year rule expires..I love the Blue Oval but geez they're exasperating..annoying and disappointing ..Oh yes and try emailing them and getting a decent answer on anything.They've really dropped the ball in this regard .I hope they have a re-think soon for all our sakes. Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #2
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: It get's worse...maybe..

Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
G'day , Well said...D'oh indeed..I just read that the head of Ford Motorsport Global has ruled out Ford official involvement in V8 Supercars...no factory Mustangs apparently but there is a small possibility that Prodrive may decide to run a team using the Stang..in 2017 and Roger Penske has not ruled it in or out yet ..Some hope now that coupe's will be permitted..I'd like to meet the Ford Motorsport p..ck..to tell him what I think but I haven't got the keys to his ivory tower in Michigan..Cheers Rod..
Old 29-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #4
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day , Well said...D'oh indeed..I just read that the head of Ford Motorsport Global has ruled out Ford official involvement in V8 Supercars...no factory Mustangs apparently but there is a small possibility that Prodrive may decide to run a team using the Stang..in 2017 and Roger Penske has not ruled it in or out yet ..Some hope now that coupe's will be permitted..I'd like to meet the Ford Motorsport p..ck..to tell him what I think but I haven't got the keys to his ivory tower in Michigan..Cheers Rod..
Just watching the new range of terrible Ford Advertisements, starring the lady in blue and with the whitegoods style ambience, it is embarrassing and painful to watch... I really don't think the Ford brand is my target audience anymore. Will always be a Falcon fanatic, but Ford? I don't know anymore. Mustang may go the way of the Toyota 86, being a poser's car or ex Honda-civic or worse still, ex Holden Commodore crew vehicle of choice...
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 10:57 AM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
G'day all....Yesterday I picked up an April copy of Motor Magazine..Get it when the mood takes me.. I wish I hadn't. In the letters section I read an addition that said that Ford is pulling out of V8 Supercars...WHAT !!!!!...
Now I know that Tassie is a little behind the rest of the country.
But it also seems the Motor's letter writers are the same. This was announced last year.
Old 29-03-2016, 11:02 AM   #6
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Just watching the new range of terrible Ford Advertisements, starring the lady in blue and with the whitegoods style ambience, it is embarrassing and painful to watch... I really don't think the Ford brand is my target audience anymore. Will always be a Falcon fanatic, but Ford? I don't know anymore. Mustang may go the way of the Toyota 86, being a poser's car or ex Honda-civic or worse still, ex Holden Commodore crew vehicle of choice...
G'day.I.agree absolutely...Ford used to set the benchmark with ad's.."Have you driven a Ford..Lately.".also "We're Moving with You'..the 1960's to early 70's From the Ground Up..campaign..classic...and the BA launch too that many say is the best single car commercial ever..There were other ad periods too that were actually inspiring to check out that model ..Marketing is everything..Ford cannot deny their terrible ads are a component of dwindling sales..and I'm sure the girl in blue is lovely but better for selling fridges not cars. Here's one classic ad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO7wDFGQB6w .Cheers Rod...
Old 29-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #7
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Now I know that Tassie is a little behind the rest of the country.
But it also seems the Motor's letter writers are the same. This was announced last year.
G'day ..Fair enough.Even with two heads!!!!.I missed it last year but Ford's lack of information unless you're specifically looking for it isn't great either..Wheels Magazine..which I do get often features a story of the future of our racing series in this months issue and Ford's lack of involvement is mentioned there too..Cheers Rod..
Old 29-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #8
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
G'day.I.agree absolutely...Ford used to set the benchmark with ad's.."Have you driven a Ford..Lately.".also "We're Moving with You'..the 1960's to early 70's From the Ground Up..campaign..classic...and the BA launch too that many say is the best single car commercial ever..There were other ad periods too that were actually inspiring to check out that model ..Marketing is everything..Ford cannot deny their terrible ads are a component of dwindling sales..and I'm sure the girl in blue is lovely but better for selling fridges not cars. Here's one classic ad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO7wDFGQB6w .Cheers Rod...
And the Territory 'amazing' ads showing the car actually being used in the real world gave me goosebumps, they were that good and made me actually want to own and drive one. A sharp contrast to the stupid Focus ad with a Focus driving through an endless array of drums and drummers (seriously what were they thinking), and a horrific sounding choir at the end. The other ad with the cars absolutely standing still is even more pointless. Do Ford want their customers to leave their cars as garage queens hidden away, so they don't wear out or something ?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #9
Trump
bitch lasagne

Wait, people still think V8 Supercars are relevant???
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
G'day ..Fair enough.Even with two heads!!!!.I missed it last year but Ford's lack of information unless you're specifically looking for it isn't great either..Wheels Magazine..which I do get often features a story of the future of our racing series in this months issue and Ford's lack of involvement is mentioned there too..Cheers Rod..
Visit 'The Pits' forums to keep up to date with V8SC and Ford.
Old 29-03-2016, 11:38 AM   #11
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't want to ruin your day further Rod, but there is also talk that 888 could switch from Ford to Holden.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 11:45 AM   #12
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
Don't want to ruin your day further Rod, but there is also talk that 888 could switch from Ford to Holden.
Would never happen
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #13
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Adamz Ghia’s face palm (D'oh) has gone way over your head.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #14
Jess1992

I didn't think anybody cared any more since skaifes car of the future turned them all into appliciances which are the same expect a different badge
Jess1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #15
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
..That led me to start thinking this morning about are they going to leave us in the lurch for genuine spare parts in years to come for the outgoing Falcons , Territory , Focus etc...after the mandatory 10 year rule expires...
I was trying to read how you came to this conclusion?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 04:12 PM   #16
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
...they going to leave us in the lurch for genuine spare parts in years to come for the outgoing Falcons , Territory , Focus etc...after the mandatory 10 year rule expires...
What's this mandatory 10 year rule?
Old 29-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #17
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who needs televised taxi cab queuing?
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #18
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
G'day all....Yesterday I picked up an April copy of Motor Magazine..Get it when the mood takes me.. I wish I hadn't. In the letters section I read an addition that said that Ford is pulling out of V8 Supercars...WHAT !!!!!...
Ford is not pulling out of V8's they already have pulled out.. There is no factory Ford team in V8's, just 2 private Ford teams.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #19
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
What's this mandatory 10 year rule?
I have heard of it. Its the car manufacturer's (in Aus at least) agreement to build car parts for at least 10 years after its production.
Old 29-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #20
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyf6 View Post
I have heard of it. Its the car manufacturer's (in Aus at least) agreement to build car parts for at least 10 years after its production.
I’m from a manufacturing background and mandatory means in law, so is this a requirement legislated by government as the ACCC already oversees backup service and parts supply requirements for products manufactured and sold in Australia.

Or are you just talking about some voluntary with no legal binding agreement which will always be overruled by consumer legislation?
Old 29-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #21
xr6turboford

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
Who needs televised taxi cab queuing?
It maybe taxi cabs to some, to others it's still motor racing and worth watching
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #22
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

I also heard Gary Rogers may be running volvo's shortly ?

Dunno if true or not i havn't bought a magazine in nearly two years and i used to buy 8 a month religiously (c)
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 08:46 PM   #23
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

So to put an end to the satirical and sarcastic comments (all still humorous but).

Its been almost a decade since Ford started cutting funding in V8SC.

They Pulled funding From the 2 best performing teams. Still on that one.

Those 2 teams were 888, and Dick Johnson racing. T8 Delivered them 3 Bathursts (Actually 2 at the time) and 2 Drivers Championships (Which was zero at the date of announcement, but the signs were omnious that it was going to happen. And it did, 6 Drivers Titles to T8 So far).

They kept the funding for FPR (PRA as its known these days) who hadnt won a Title or Bathurst in its years since inception. And Stone Brothers Racing Who hadnt won a Title or Bathurst in years (and Hasnt come close since).

They kept supplying panels for a few years and then decided to cut that too. But then did a backflip in 2010 and supplied DJR with Panels and some funding. They vindicated the decision by winning the title that year.

Funding was then stripped down to FPR, with an expiry in 2013. This was renewed for 2 years. (Big news in the paddock that weekend. Even once a year watchers couldnt avoid it on television) This was vindicated the next day by Mark Winterbottom winning Bathurst.

That deadline came up, and expired despite talks between PRA & Ford.

Rodger Penske (Majority owner of DJRTP) Managed to get a deal across the line for this year for limited support. But its only a matter of time.

So there you go roddy. That's an up to date history for you.

However, I must point out something, and excuse me for being obtuse.

Your surprise and shock at this news that has been a hotly debated topic in the V8SC field for well, almost a decade (and you would have to not be watching the series at all not to know about it) is the reason why Ford has pulled the funding.

This has been news for the better part of 10 years and you didnt know about it. Why? (and once again, forgive me for being obtuse) Because you didnt care about V8 Supercars. You are actually part of the problem.

Now just go with me for a second on this.

If your really passionate about something, you'll follow it, and follow it intently. Which you haven't. While I am certainly not blaming the entire circumstances on you, this is simply just the way the general population in Australia has shifted their focus from sports to the likes of reality TV. (There was a bit of an uproar in the pits a while back when it was suggested that Ford was pulling funding completely from V8SC and Ramping up on "The Bachelor"). More eyes on that than racing. Simple numbers. While I dont agree with it, I understand it.

General Passion for Motorsport died off in the early 2000's. Since then, its been a downward spiral.

C'est la vie.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 29-03-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #24
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyf6 View Post
Given we are about to switch over to full importation any Australia only rule wouldn't be worth the paper its written on.

I would be interested in seeing any legal document that stipulates a manufacturer's responsibility to supply spare parts availability for 10 years.
Old 29-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #25
Trump
bitch lasagne

As a young lad, I used to really enjoy watching the Touring Cars (Sierras, Skylines, Commodores, BeeEmms etc). For one very simple reason: the cars one saw on the track were cars that could be bought off the showroom floor. There was a reason to support one make over another, the innovate or perish environment was a recipe for quicker, safer and more exciting racing. When the R32 Skylines came out, I didn't ***** and moan, I thought they were awesome and saw it as an opportunity for the other makes to step up and meet the challenge.

But Revolver speaks well, interest waned in the sport and the grassroots went elsewhere. What I contend is that this happened when the homologation of road going models stopped and the Frankenstein creations that took their place.
7 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2016, 09:18 PM   #26
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day all...A few things...Not all of us read every little press release but I understood that DJR and Prodrive had factory support to a degree still..Silly stupid me ..not any more of course...The 10 year thing was explained to me some time back . Whether this still applies IF a manufacturer shuts up shop MAY WELL BE DIFFERENT...Even then I bet that the outgoing manufacturer would have contracts with component suppliers for that period to honour but what happens then ? that's the question we all need to ask...I think it is a fair question ... To the Do'h comment..I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. The 888 comment was funny....I can be as sarcastic as anyone if I want to be but just incase the doh was directed at Ford..Okay..silly stupid me again...At least I care what happens when we lose our identity and get sucked up by Ford Global unlike one or two of us who couldn't give a stuff it could be argued .Cheers Rod...
Old 29-03-2016, 09:27 PM   #27
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
As a young lad, I used to really enjoy watching the Touring Cars (Sierras, Skylines, Commodores, BeeEmms etc). For one very simple reason: the cars one saw on the track were cars that could be bought off the showroom floor. There was a reason to support one make over another, the innovate or perish environment was a recipe for quicker, safer and more exciting racing. When the R32 Skylines came out, I didn't ***** and moan, I thought they were awesome and saw it as an opportunity for the other makes to step up and meet the challenge.

But Revolver speaks well, interest waned in the sport and the grassroots went elsewhere. What I contend is that this happened when the homologation of road going models stopped and the Frankenstein creations that took their place.
I don't disagree but I'll tell you what...Check out NASCAR..If you want to see Frankenstein cars..then there they are , yet it's one of the most watched sports in MURRICA...At least our cars bear resemblance to the real thing..Cheers Rod..
Old 29-03-2016, 09:39 PM   #28
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
I don't disagree but I'll tell you what...Check out NASCAR..If you want to see Frankenstein cars..then there they are , yet it's one of the most watched sports in MURRICA...At least our cars bear resemblance to the real thing..Cheers Rod..
Fair point regarding NASCAR Rod, but you forget one thing: we don't have 100 million rednecks, most of which never even got to high school, let alone graduated from it. They all worship at the church of NASCAR, with this man:

their saviour.
Old 29-03-2016, 10:17 PM   #29
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll take NASCAR over taxi queuing any day. A pity they cut the max RPM though, small blocks at nearly 11,000 was quite something
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 10:45 PM   #30
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Fair point regarding NASCAR Rod, but you forget one thing: we don't have 100 million rednecks, most of which never even got to high school, let alone graduated from it. They all worship at the church of NASCAR, with this man:

their saviour.
G'day Loud Noise...True indeed..point taken...Maybe nearly as much as The Holy Church of the Gun too..They love their guns as much I think..Re NASCAR versus V8 Supercars...One of their motor sport shows ranted on about the cynical NASCAR exploits a few years ago and our stuff was mentioned..did you ever see this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWO9b5YODaY tell me what you think of it. It's well worth a few minutes to watch..Sort of The grass is greener on the other side of the fence perhaps ..Cheers Rod

Last edited by roddy1960; 29-03-2016 at 10:53 PM.