Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 31-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
stevie-gee
Starter Motor

Default Cougar lifespan?

Hi Guys

I have found a 99 Cougar with 180,000 kms on it. Can you advise - what is the expected lifespan of the engine in particular please?

The reason I ask is that it would be my daily drive - and I do around 25,000 km per year; so I wanted to purchase something with a bit of life left in it?

Steve

stevie-gee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
stevie-gee
Starter Motor

Default Re: Cougar lifespan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie-gee View Post
The reason I ask is that it would be my daily drive - and I do around 25,000 km per year; so I wanted to purchase something with a bit of life left in it?
Hey guys - anyone want to answer - really need some advice here?
Old 03-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
AD26

There isn't really a correct answer here.. as thearrow mentioned in your other post. The car is over a decade old and most of them have a lot of k's up.

Like any car, lots of variables will determine how long it will last such as the previous owner keeping services up to date, how they drove it, etc.
Some people on the US forums for Cougars report over 200,000 miles(roughly 320,000kms) on their odometer.
AD26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
thearrow

Steve, if it is a manual it will still have plenty of life in it as long as you maintain it well.

The engines in Cougars are quite robust and I know there are guys on the NECO Forum who have got 250000 MILES out of an engine. In fact I have read elsewhere that this engine was designed by Porche and that Ford bought the technology of them.

Having said that even if the engine does let go then it is easy to get a replacement from the USA because Ford used the 2.5 Duratec for just about everything, in fact this motor was even used in the original Mazda 6 back in the days when Ford & Mazda were getting a joint thing going. This is why Cougar autos have a crap Mazda gearbox in them.

The good thing is as long as the car you buy is in good nick then you will own a distinctive head turning car that you can modify to suit your needs.

Regards
David

Good to own but "High Maintenance"

2000 Model Eibach Cougar (Auto) - Now dead & buried
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
AD26

And if the engine does go you can do what I plan on doing.. 3L duratech Ford Escape engine
Old 03-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
stevie-gee
Starter Motor

Thanks guys - appreciate all of the replies! My head hurts now though, I am concerned because if I were to buy this particular one it's through a dealer and you cannot ever get the history - or to talk with previous owners.

And - to top it off there's a nice Mitsubishi Verada on LPG with similar K's and the owner of that sounds like a real fusspot with servicing. Different cars I know - I LOVE the look of the Cougar here: http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de.../?Cr=1&sdmvc=1

But the Verada is pretty cool too: http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d.../?Cr=2&sdmvc=1

Old 04-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
baz

Hi Steve, I don't know what state you live in but I live in Vic and I've got the last owners details off the dealer and rang them, so try that,
Baz
baz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
stevie-gee
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
Hi Steve, I don't know what state you live in but I live in Vic and I've got the last owners details off the dealer and rang them, so try that, Baz
Interesting - the dealer is supposed to be contacting me with the info - but hasn't? Hmmm! I'll call him back I think?

Steve
Old 05-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
stevie-gee
Starter Motor

Quote:
Hi Steve, I don't know what state you live in but I live in Vic and I've got the last owners details off the dealer and rang them, so try that, Baz
Hey Baz - your sure that this was the green SA model - the dealer is saying to me that they've LOST the previous owners details??

Steve
Old 05-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #10
thearrow

Steve, you are not comparing apples with apples.

The Cougar is a 2 x door Sports Coupe whist the Magna is a 4 x door Sedan so really you have to decide which suits you better.

Regards
David

Good to own but "High Maintenance"

2000 Model Eibach Cougar (Auto) - Now dead & buried
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #11
stevie-gee
Starter Motor

Wink Re: Cougar lifespan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thearrow View Post
Steve, you are not comparing apples with apples.

The Cougar is a 2 x door Sports Coupe whist the Magna is a 4 x door Sedan so really you have to decide which suits you better.

Regards
David
Hi David

With all due respect - I am well aware of that. But where is it written that you cannot make a decision between two totally different cars?
We already own a Mitsy and they are as smooth as silk - and also go like stink; this one - on LPG has other benefits too. The two cars are totally different but each has its own pluses and minuses.

Ultimately I do have a decision to make. So far in my search I have considered four Cougars from across Australia - each has fallen by the wayside for reasons from mechanical issues to dealers who are too greedy to negotiate - even just a little bit.

My latest look (at the car in SA) saw it mysteriously drop by $2,000 all of a sudden, causing me to wonder if something was discovered somehow that prompted the yard to drop the price to move it? So far - they have not even been able to find a scrap of service history and now cannot strangely manage to find the last owners details?

Yes - totally different cars; with similar kilometres - but at least I can talk to the owner of the Verada - who sounds like a real servicing fusspot. That alone can be a deciding factor - because ultimately you'd like to buy a reliable car rather than one that will end up costing many $$$ in the very near future?

I LOVE the look of the Cougars - and yes the thought of owning one on looks alone is really tempting - but as someone says on here - like supermodels they are seen to be high maintenance. I don't have lots of cash to throw away on a super-model so have to consider all things in my hunt.

Cheers

Steve
Old 05-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie-gee View Post
Hey Baz - your sure that this was the green SA model - the dealer is saying to me that they've LOST the previous owners details??

Steve
I don't believe the dealer, they have to get the car from somewhere either trade in or auction house either way they should have the paper work.
Baz
baz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #13
AD26

What you need is to find a supermodel that someone else bought all the drinks for first.. and er.. by that I mean, maybe you can find a car that someone has already put some $$ into for the basics(exhaust, headers, etc). Not necessarily a cougar. Nissan have plenty of coupes with go, they'll never be as stylish as the ford cat though ;)
Old 05-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #14
stevie-gee
Starter Motor

Quote:
I don't believe the dealer, they have to get the car from somewhere either trade in or auction house either way they should have the paper work.
Baz
Yeah - for me that was the deal-breaker! Cars have all sorts of paper trails; especially for dealers. Somethin' was wrong - so I dropped it like a hot potato.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #15
stevie-gee
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD26 View Post
What you need is to find a supermodel that someone else bought all the drinks for first.. and er.. by that I mean, maybe you can find a car that someone has already put some $$ into for the basics(exhaust, headers, etc). Not necessarily a cougar. Nissan have plenty of coupes with go, they'll never be as stylish as the ford cat though ;)
Thanks AD. The mess around by the dealer basically made my decision for me - and I've decided on the Verada. It will be my daily drive (lots of K's on LPG). Later I'm thinking I might buy a Nissan 300 ZX as a 2nd car; just LOVE the look of those, but they're a bit too thirsty for daily driving!

Cheers guys

Steve
Old 06-02-2014, 08:30 AM   #16
stevie-gee
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD26 View Post
Yead AD - if I had the $$$ I'd stump up for two cars - a daily drive and something like THIS.

Cheers

Steve