Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 17-02-2018, 12:22 PM   #1
crustyman
In between Fords

Default MD Titanium Petrol or Diesel?

I'm looking to get into an MD titanium and am torn between petrol and diesel, I keep hearing that unless you do plenty of highway driving you risk the dpf not regenerating and some expensive repairs. On the other hand I had an MA diesel a number of years back and loved the fuel economy and effortless crusing, having said that I used to do a lot of highway kms for work in the MA and now I probably wouldn't.

I'm curious to know which way others have gone and do you need to adjust your driving habits with a diesel?

Cheers
crustyman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
bundybear75

Default Re: MD Titanium Petrol or Diesel?

Simply do the maths....

Work out your average KM/year. Use the claimed fuel figures and difference of purchase and servicing costs to make the decision.

I brought a new RAV4 for my wife a couple of months ago and using the figures she would have to travel 180,000+ KM before the diesel became the better option. Her average travel is less than 20,000km per year so its a no-brainer.

Also as you suggested DPF's don't fair well with lots of short trips. That was another concern I had when buying the RAV.
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
I'm curious to know which way others have gone and do you need to adjust your driving habits with a diesel?
Yes, not so much how I/we drive but to get out and give it a drive deliberately for the dpf. Ours gets a lot of small trips because the missus uses it to work and back ~3.5kms each way, been like this for 2yrs now.

Both of us love the diesel&slushbox and have talked bout an MD (folks have the ecoboost titanium) and we often give it a run; both of us are unanimous we'd go the diesel.
Old 17-02-2018, 04:19 PM   #4
crustyman
In between Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
Yes, not so much how I/we drive but to get out and give it a drive deliberately for the dpf. Ours gets a lot of small trips because the missus uses it to work and back ~3.5kms each way, been like this for 2yrs now.

Both of us love the diesel&slushbox and have talked bout an MD (folks have the ecoboost titanium) and we often give it a run; both of us are unanimous we'd go the diesel.
Thanks for the reply, any particular reason you don't like the ecoboost?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 17-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #5
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had both as demo's.

Diesel pulls like a train and is an easy performer due to the torque.

Petrol down low in the rpms and low pedal input is a tad doughy, but full throttle it's a beast.

Diesel would be my pick.
Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #6
crustyman
In between Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@CumberlandFord View Post
Had both as demo's.

Diesel pulls like a train and is an easy performer due to the torque.

Petrol down low in the rpms and low pedal input is a tad doughy, but full throttle it's a beast.

Diesel would be my pick.
Thanks Craig, I might have to look at doing the odd road trip ever couple of weeks but sounds like the diesel is good thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 18-02-2018, 03:06 AM   #7
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, any particular reason you don't like the ecoboost?
I actually like it; would like the engine note to sound better; it does feel sluggish down low. The diesel has tractability and pulls down low; hills.....what hills; feels like a train on the road and it's lazy, everything can get done at 2K rpm. What tops it off is decent fuel economy. The DPF is always on my mind but 4yrs later (9yo vehicle) it's been no problem so perhaps everything you read about dpfs isn't always applicable.
Old 18-02-2018, 12:00 PM   #8
asteele-xr6

Hi, I don't think you can go too wrong with either choice to be honest... but my pick is the petrol.

I have had diesel (Peugeot 508GT) before my MD Titanium Petrol, and I enjoyed the extra range you get from the fuel tank and also the no-fuss engine torque and less gear changing going on too. I did used to have to keep a box of silicon gloves in the boot for when it came to refuel - as the diesel pump handle is always left covered in an oily finish and smell that doesn't go away from your hands (or feet if you stand in it). Petrol pump handles don't suffer from this problem. Big issue with launching into traffic on a roundabout/junction - the turbo diesel is slow to initially get going, and those first few seconds can be a bit nerve racking if the gap your aiming for is closing fast and you've already launched for it.

Petrol has more RPM obviously, and more gear shifting going on too. I no longer sound like a taxi when picking up dinner from the drive-thru! I don't have the low down surge of power, but instead have way more power and RPM - so I don't run out of breath when doing an overtake for example. Diesel runs up the hills nicely, but you need plenty of room for an overtake - in my petrol I can do both (just need to go down a gear or two for the hill though). Neck snapping launch from standstill should you be aiming for a gap in the traffic too.

Just to continue with my personal opinion, the $$ you save on diesel fuel costs is spent (and more) on the extra diesel purchase price and extra diesel servicing costs too... so unless you are going to do 400,000km - the running cost maths should prove that petrol is better in the long and short run.

It is also my personal opinion that diesel has reached the extent of its development, and I believe it has been proven that diesel is now falling out of favour as a car engine - European diesel sales continue to slide vs petrol models. Concerns over the dirtier emissions etc haven't helped too. The modern turbo diesel engines are much fussier on the types of fuel they can run with too - whereas a decade ago they could run on a very wide range of lesser quality fuels.

I enjoyed experiencing the modern turbo diesel recently in the Peugeot 508GT- but am very pleased to now run a Titanium MD petrol instead.

Everyone will have their own opinion, and as I said before - I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this one... good luck!

Last edited by asteele-xr6; 18-02-2018 at 12:06 PM.
asteele-xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2018, 01:47 PM   #9
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definitely the Diesel. The petrol is quicker (not by a great deal) but the extra cost of fuel isn't worth it. My diesel overtakes with ease and to 100km/h is slightly slower than the petrol. The fuel consumption on the diesel is amazing I drive mine like I stole it everyday and its at 6.5Lper 100kms in Sydney traffic and a run to Melbourne in the low 5s.
gsd112 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
crustyman
In between Fords

Definitely some great information and different views, thanks for the info keep it coming!
Old 20-02-2018, 10:41 PM   #11
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I chose petrol for three reasons. Firstly, as mentioned, it's quicker; secondly, it's familiar - I've always owned petrols; and thirdly, I cannot stand the smell of diesel.

I've driven a diesel as a loan car as well, and I found it comparatively sluggish off the mark, although it was better at rolling starts. Auto stop-start in the diesel would annoy me, too.

For me, fuel economy is not a concern. The higher fuel consumption should be offset by the lower purchase and maintenance costs too.

First four fixed price services for the Mondeo petrol are:
$365
$365
$365
$610

First four fixed price services for the Mondeo diesel are:
$415
$415
$415
$865
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2018, 11:24 PM   #12
crustyman
In between Fords

Fixed price service costs seem a tad high across the board, may have to consider using an independent mechanic for servicing!
Old 21-02-2018, 02:09 AM   #13
Papug

I bought MD Titanium diesel 2 months ago, after 2 years in Zetec Ecoboost. Petrol Ecoboost was little quicker of the mark but the new diesel is not sluggish at all and in the sport setting take off very well without any noticeable lag.
Response at any speed is instantaneous. It is good to get extra week of driving before refuelling compering to Ecoboost. Also, I did 175000km in MA diesel and never had any problems with DPF filter. They are greatly exaggerated.
The other thing to consider is the fact that there is a lot more diesels on the market. Therefore, more choices of colour and discounts. 3-5 months old demo's with 2000-3000km can be found with more than $10000 discounts.
Which ever car you choose it will be your personal preference. Drive both before making decision and you will be getting fantastic car in MD version.
Good luck with your purchase.
Regards
Greg
Papug is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2018, 05:30 AM   #14
R12RT

Over 60000km the diesel will cost $405 more to service.
My local servo has diesel at 138.9cpL and premium unleaded at 155.9cpL. With the diesel using 6L/100km and the petrol using 9L/100km, the diesel will cost $3418 less in fuel.
However, the diesel will cost $3635 more to buy.

I used a novated lease to buy my Mondeo. I got quotes for both the petrol and the diesel. The monthly payments over four years and 115000km were less for the diesel.

Personally, I enjoy the relaxed characteristics of the diesel. Particularly at highway speeds where my car spends most of it's time. I got used to this after driving a Mazda6 diesel for 160000km over eight years.

However, if I drove mostly around town I would prefer the petrol. Simply because of the DPF.
R12RT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #15
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone seems to worry about the DPF but I can't recall anyone here having a problem. The Mondeos uses a Peugeot diesel and they don't seem to have the problems that some other makes have.

No one has mentioned that the Ecoboost comes with a slushbox, whereas the diesel has a dual clutch box that changes gear so quickly.

The Ecoboost may be quicker, but my experience from driving a Kuga rental for a week is they drink petrol if you use the performance. The diesel gets similar economy no matter how you drive it.

If you're doing mainly city driving in traffic, or like to drive fast and don't care about economy, then go for the Ecoboost. Otherwise I'd say the diesel is simply a nicer car to drive.

If you're trying to get off the line quickly in the diesel, don't floor it. Get it rolling, then open the throttle.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk
Old 21-02-2018, 04:41 PM   #16
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
If you're trying to get off the line quickly in the diesel, don't floor it. Get it rolling, then open the throttle.
even better Stage It. foot on the brake, slight pressure on the accelerator, lift off the brake this all can happen within 2 sec. There's no movement in a dsg trans so no detrimental affects and it's like being launched. I can go a little harder on my trans as it's a slushbox and it's nice when needed.

Good call on the ecoboost having a slushbox forgot about that, it's quite pleasant and a sharp shifter, it rolls and roooooooooolllllllllsssssss for ever.
Old 21-02-2018, 10:11 PM   #17
asteele-xr6

I have just seen this news article on MSN about the decline of diesel cars, so thought I would share.

"But diesel, with its reputation utterly mauled, will no longer play any role in VW’s effort in America. And not for many others either – just 11 cars from five brands come with a diesel as of late 2017. The picture globally is little better; diesel vehicle sales are estimated to fall to just 4 percent of the global market in 2025, down from around 13.5% today. In the UK, diesel sales slumped 25% in January 2018 against a year previously.
Once seen as fuel for the future, it now seems clear that, given the increasing viability of alternatives, the fuel has no long-term future except, perhaps, as the power for very heavy trucks and other applications where high torque and reasonable fuel economy are vital. VW itself launched a new 7-seater SUV called the Atlas in 2017, built at Chattanooga; it’s not available with a diesel engine. In November 2016, VW announced it would no longer sell diesel models in the US. Volkswagen’s American diesel dream had come to an ignominious end."

Here is the link to the full news article:
https://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/n...sel/ss-BBJnIl7
3 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2018, 10:51 PM   #18
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Truthfully if you want a quick car don't get either cause both are slow really.
Old 22-02-2018, 05:48 AM   #19
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteele-xr6 View Post

It is also my personal opinion that diesel has reached the extent of its development, and I believe it has been proven that diesel is now falling out of favour as a car engine - European diesel sales continue to slide vs petrol models. Concerns over the dirtier emissions etc haven't helped too. The modern turbo diesel engines are much fussier on the types of fuel they can run with too - whereas a decade ago they could run on a very wide range of lesser quality fuels.
Correct, and a point not often picked up when people talk about the pro's of diesel.
Old 22-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #20
sailaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd112 View Post
So the answer is?

Scratches head coal or electric?

Would miss a good engine note with the electric.
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #21
crustyman
In between Fords

Quote:
I get where you are coming from and I'm trying to wean myself off more performance oriented cars so I'm going for one with plenty of tech, I'm not completely sold on a Mondeo just yet but I have owned an MA TDCi and MA XR5 Turbo and did quite like both of them. I currently have a Mazda 3 MPS but am selling that so looking for my next venture!
Old 22-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #22
asteele-xr6

Neither of them are slow at all, and the Titanium model is FULL of tech.

I can't think of any tech that is actually missing, come to think of it - I can't think of another similar model that has any tech that the Titanium doesn't have... apart from a Tesla that is supposed to be able to drive itself home and park on the driveway having dropped you off somewhere!
Old 22-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #23
crustyman
In between Fords

Quote:

I can't think of any tech that is actually missing, come to think of it - I can't think of another similar model that has any tech that the Titanium doesn't have... apart from a Tesla that is supposed to be able to drive itself home and park on the driveway having dropped you off somewhere!
And this is why the Titanium Mondeo is high on my list, also because they seem to lose a lot of value in the first 12-18 months so some pretty decent bargains, if only the pre update wheels weren't so god awful, but it does give me the excuse of putting new rims on
Old 22-02-2018, 03:51 PM   #24
asteele-xr6

Yep, that's why I chose it too... plus I wanted to have certainty with the running costs. I previously had a Peugeot 508GT which was nice, but the costs for the $490 tyres it would destroy so quickly ($2K for a set of 4!!) - and then the costs for servicing from the dealer too were just nuts. New battery $400, front brakes $850, rear brakes (every 50K km) $750... new windscreen $950 ...whereas with my Mondeo that I have had for 18 months now, the value is really excellent and it is the most techy option I could find then and is still same today too.

I might look at a Stinger in a few years time, but when I compared the specs recently - it doesn't have everything my Titanium has now... just need my Titanium to have a V6 turbo option I guess!
Old 22-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #25
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I can't think of any tech that is actually missing, come to think of it - I can't think of another similar model that has any tech that the Titanium doesn't have
Kia Optima and Toyota Camry both have ventilated/cooled seats. I think the new Commodore does too. Mondeo Titanium only has heated.

Which is a shame, really - US-spec Fusion Platinum has cooled seats - and heated steering wheel too.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #26
asteele-xr6

OK yes - I agree with that! I also want cooled seats! Annoying that other countries have them in the Titanium but some plonker decided we don't need them in Aus! Grr!

The heated seats are very nice, especially in Canberra... use them daily in the winter for certain. A heated steering wheel would just be showing off though!
Old 22-02-2018, 10:37 PM   #27
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

There slow!
Old 22-02-2018, 10:42 PM   #28
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustyman View Post
I get where you are coming from and I'm trying to wean myself off more performance oriented cars so I'm going for one with plenty of tech, I'm not completely sold on a Mondeo just yet but I have owned an MA TDCi and MA XR5 Turbo and did quite like both of them. I currently have a Mazda 3 MPS but am selling that so looking for my next venture!
Have a look at the 2litre turbo Kia Stinger. They have plenty of tech and perform a lot stronger than the Mondeo. Better build quality and amazing warranty. And there is also the V6TT Stinger which are really quick. My mates got one and 0-100 I reckon would give my Tuned G6ET a fright
Old 22-02-2018, 10:44 PM   #29
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway View Post
So the answer is?

Scratches head coal or electric?

Would miss a good engine note with the electric.
Are you OK?
Old 22-02-2018, 11:08 PM   #30
asteele-xr6

Quote:
There slow!
Mondeo has a higher top speed than my FG XR6, and that wasn't slow.

(...because of the speed limiter )