Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 18-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
whitetdci

Default mounting driving lights

Has anyone mounted any driving lights on the MA mondy if so how

whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
nevetsg

Default Re: mounting driving lights

I could swear that during my car research I saw a Mondeo with one of those little bars fitted above the number plate, like what the cops use to mount front blue and reds. This one has 2 little yellow fog lights.
Would that do the trick?
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once upon a time cars were built with a "nice" strong chromed steel bumper bar that was ideal for mounting all sorts of things. In fact one car I owned had knock out blanks that covered holes for mounting driving lights.

Today, we are, I believe, somewhat wiser and insist that manufacturers build cars that are smooth with no projections. Then pedestrians who stray into our path when we are mobile, because they didn't notice us approaching, being lost in the dialogue of mobile phone call, or the hearing damaging "music" from an iPod, tend to receive less damage that they otherwise would.

Looking at the front of our Mondeo I can't see any way that driving lights could be mounted without them vibrating so much they would not be effective as all of the materials are deformable plastic and unsuitable. Which leaves modifying the front of the car with a suitable non deformable mount that sort of defeats the purpose of the energy absorbing deformable materials.

Let us know if you work out a way of mounting DLs without altering the car's crash mitigating characteristics. I guess putting them on a roof bar would work, but I suspect that isn't what you want to achieve.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevetsg
... I saw a Mondeo with one of those little bars fitted above the number plate, .....
Yep, I seen this approach. Driving lights mounted on it. Looked like an out-of-towner commuter car (always dusty and bug-splattered).

But frankly, I thought the Mondeo lights were fine (at elast on my MB XR5).
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
whitetdci

I posted this because I thought that I had struck a dead end with the HIDs. I am going to persevere with the HIDs but was thinking that one of those light weight LED bars like the great whites mounted on a number plate bracket, but as Alan pointed out there is nothing really to mount it to. I would be very interested if anyone has experience with one of these. AllanV6gt I will let you know if changing to HIDs is worthwhile but from my experience on what the difference was when I changed over on my other car, it was an impressive difference. They do take a little while to warm up, but once you have them up to temp they come up again quickly after dipping for approaching vehicles. And the difference? Has to be seen to be believed! I prefer the 6000k and have the 55w version which in my other car make road signs incredibly and almost unbearably blinding.
Old 20-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
fonfe
RS shop's technician

HID kit is the way to go for the Mondeo.
Spot lamps/driving lights mounted to the front of a car like a Mondeo will look seriously hideous. It's my personal opinion mind you, as I am a believer that the only cars which should have spotlights are 4x4s and rally cars....anything else just looks naff.
HID kit will do wonders, what will work even better is if you can get hold of some Mondeo projector headlights that are fitted with HIDs as OEM spec and retro fit them with HIDs. Retro fit purely because the wiring will be a pain to try to use the OEM setup
Old 21-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

re bulb temprature ('degrees Kelvin')

In my other Ford I have changed the standard 55/60-W Halogen bulbs for 6000K 55W Xenons. Big improvement but a bit blue.

And, then, in my other classic non-Ford I went for 4300K to replace the standard 55W Halogens. These give a more natural whiter light than to higher temp bulbs. Cost....$15 from Hong Kong for Phillips Crystal Vision H4s.

And our old Subaru Outback was upgraded to Xenon 3500K over the std Halogens (which were woeful for a 21st century car !!!). Vast improvement. All of which triggered playing games with the bulbs for my classics.

I know HIDs are the fashion, and projector lights (a la XR5/Titanium) would be nice (but expensive), but it might be worth trying a cheaper and simpler option first. All depends how far you want to go and available $$$ to spend.

What you don't want is your high beam so fantastically bright and your low beam still standard. When you dip your lights the difference in brightness will be too great and you will be blind until your eyes adjust. Ask me how I know.....(400w with high+spots down to 100w low beam).......
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
whitetdci

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonfe
HID kit is the way to go for the Mondeo.
Spot lamps/driving lights mounted to the front of a car like a Mondeo will look seriously hideous. It's my personal opinion mind you, as I am a believer that the only cars which should have spotlights are 4x4s and rally cars....anything else just looks naff.
I was thinking about the LED bar lights. They are very low profile and look a whole heap better than spots.
Old 24-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Not sure if Mondeo has the same front crash support bar as my Focus behind the numberplate?

What I did was drilled two 10.5mm holes in it through the front bumper and used M8 nutserts to mount the light bar to using M8 60mm Allen bolts.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
whitetdci

any pics of this?
Old 24-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetdci
any pics of this?
I'll grab a pic tomorrow morning for you
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
whitetdci

thanks
Old 19-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
b2428

I know this is an old thread but did you end up mounting driving lights whitetdci? I am looking at doing same with my MA as I desperately miss the lights on my falcon...

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
whitetdci

I haven't mounted any. Couldn't find any place suitable