Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
Burntorange
Starter Motor

Default Buying a used Diesel Focus. LV

As per my other thread about VIN/ENG numbers etc, I am looking at buying a used LV focus turbo diesel.

I have noticed previously comments on forums stating buying any used Diesel is playing with fire, and a risky proposition.

The car I am looking at has done 135k km, one owner, log books partially up to date, it had the first several log book services up to about 90,000km, then nothing till 120,000km, now at 135k km it is due for it's next service I assume being a 15,000km cycle.

Rego is also running out and ready for renewal 05/10.

Pulled the dip stick, oil was black. Being at the end of 15k cycle I am not sure this is an issue, and not experienced with Diesel engines. <edit> Appears diesel engines turn the oil black very quickly. The oil was not thick and didn't appear to have any other colour to it, white/cream etc.

I guess this makes me wonder if there is something hidden I need to be worried about.

Are buying used Diesels the big risk some comment on, or is this just a carry over from past diesel cars and their issues of days gone by?

Last edited by Burntorange; 06-09-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Burntorange is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #2
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Buying a used Diesel Focus. LV

I had a diesel LT Focus,the oil was always black and I servcied it every 15000kms.
Every 60k is a big service so 60k, 120k.
135k is a minor service.
Also if its an auto the tranny needs a $900 service every 60000kms so 60k, 120k etc.
I ran my LT diesel out till 278000 thought it was getting bit noisy and rough riding traded it on a 2015 LZ for 1k. A subsequent dealer turned it over for 3.5k.

These are a great car but but you gotta look after them
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #3
Burntorange
Starter Motor

Thanks Kevino.

The car test drove well. No milky oil. Radiator fluid good, is a manual 6speed, no clutch slip. No wierd noises driving, steering good etc.

On my way back down now to do final inspection, test drive and buy it.

With these dpf diesels. Should the exhaust be fairly clean or is a little black inside the exhaust ok? Looking at a way to test if the dpf is clogged or not working.

Since you had a dpf focus @kevino how did you find the dpf filter in it? Dod you have any issues with the regen process of the dpf needing replacing or manual regeneration?
Old 09-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #4
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The exhausts are always black. All these diesels will push out black sooty smoke after you press the throttle down after being at light or constant steady throttle.
These are a great engine it's a joint peugeot ford motor and some pugs fitted with this motor have clocked up huge kms.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2017, 01:27 AM   #5
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a Peugeot diesel Ford with a DPF and it's great, LW not LV but probably very similar.

With a temp gauge for the DPF and also a gauge that shows DPF soot level I don't have to worry about it getting blocked provided I let it perform the regen.
Oil was always black for me after a few minutes of fresh oil, totally normal for a diesel engine.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #6
Burntorange
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
I have a Peugeot diesel Ford with a DPF and it's great, LW not LV but probably very similar.

With a temp gauge for the DPF and also a gauge that shows DPF soot level I don't have to worry about it getting blocked provided I let it perform the regen.
Oil was always black for me after a few minutes of fresh oil, totally normal for a diesel engine.
The LV does not have a temp gauge or soot level gauge unfortunately. Hopefully I can just let it do its thing and not worry about it.

Dies the lw use the eolys flyid stuff with the dpf system. My lv does not have it.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #7
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I installed these separate using Torque running on my Android infotainment unit connected to a Bluetooth OBD adapter that gets the data from the ECU. It boots and runs every time I start the car.
No, mine doesn't have any fluid to add. My understanding was you either have the fluid or the DPF not both. Could be wrong though.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: