Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 11-08-2017, 10:07 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Cheap MC TDCi's - Power****?

Looking at Medium~Large Diesels upto 5 or 6 years old, there seems to be an abundance of very "reasonably" priced Mondeos.
Always liked the new models, and thought the diesel would be a good option for her indoors.

But I'm assuming the reasonable pricing has something to do with the Power-****s?
Were there any that didn't have this abomination?
When did its reign of terror begin and end?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2017, 10:46 PM   #2
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Cheap MC TDCi's - Power****?

don't confuse the powershift issues with focus/fiesta etc with the powershift in mondeo.

all diesel fords used the wet clutch version of the powershift, and although you may get the odd bit of negative feedback (as you do with just about any car), the wet clutch version is a pretty good gearbox.

the powershift in the smaller petrol models is a dry clutch version.

my brother has a MC Mondeo titanium with powershift and its a very nice car. i drove it and the powershift would have been better than my ZF falcon for smoothness.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-08-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks, appreciate its a different implementation, being a hydraulic gearbox, but have still heard "horror stories."
And if not, these seem very cheap for late model European cars???
Old 12-08-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
sailaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Thanks, appreciate its a different implementation, being a hydraulic gearbox, but have still heard "horror stories."
And if not, these seem very cheap for late model European cars???
Again from people confusing them with the focus/fiesta transmission problems and not the Mondeo wet gearbox.

My MC Modeo has over 230K on the clock and trouble free smooth transmission.

Mine like many out there was an ex company lease vehicle and was fully serviced. Checking the Ford service agents I was assured of all proper servicing and can be certain of the cars history.

High milage gave mine a very cheap buying price and will allow others here to give you more informative reasons as to why they have not held their pricing.
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #5
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

traded my MC tdci at 195,000 km pretty much trouble free
great on fuel at speed or at speed limits with city diesel.

More marginal with truck diesel, I ended up going back to the falcon - total ownership costs are closer then I though over 120,000 km, and I Seem to prefer simplicity as I get older
Examples of mondeo service cost
Timing belt due at 195,000
trans oil due every 60,000
engine oil to be dpf compatable
Windscreen wiper blades about $100

I don't actually know of anyone that's had to pay for a trans, fuel pump, injector set, turbo, dpf etc, but the thought/cost was enough for me as the km's (and probability of failure) increased, but I drive some areas where you might not see another car for an hour or so that played on my mind. For me it was pay at the pump or pay at the dealership (95% highway driving)
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #6
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So check this out.
$10.5k at a dealer
Not even 6 years old,
only 55kkm, and could be a country car too.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:42 PM   #7
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheap motoring, Solid cars.
I personally thought the mondeo steered/handled very well, and I'd buy another in a hearbeat.
Hatchback is a bit like a tardis, plenty of room particularly with the back seats folded down.
FG2 seems very solid as well, can't go wrong with either.

Make sure you're happy with the 60k service costs (ford website). Could be near $1000.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post