Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-01-2021, 05:37 PM   #3481
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: All things Solar (merged threads)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Still see COPE trucks. Wasn't it called COPE sensitive at the time.

not in WA we use to do this and stuffs ranging from xray equip/cat scans to pianos to ... sensetive stuff
and ended up selling to cope , the then owner became the WA manager and his son a mate of mine is now running this depot i believe

think the companies name back then was chalange transport

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-06-2022, 12:37 PM   #3482
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Being the solar thread…

For a dedicated, compliant residential enclosure to house a solar charge controller and changeover switch, do I need the “NSW standard” 600x600x250 box?

In cavity brickwork is HD conduit required for lead-ins? Or is the brick cavity itself considered sufficient for internal wiring?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2022, 09:03 PM   #3483
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Being the solar thread…

For a dedicated, compliant residential enclosure to house a solar charge controller and changeover switch, do I need the “NSW standard” 600x600x250 box?

In cavity brickwork is HD conduit required for lead-ins? Or is the brick cavity itself considered sufficient for internal wiring?
In Tasmania it goes into the standard switchboard since the changeover switch needs access to the mains supply intercept to the house.

We use a standard generator changeover switch, pole 1 up, center off, pole two down.

Brick cavity should be fine if it is weather sealed...IMHO

I used an electrician even though it's a no brainer to install, suggest you do the same.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2022, 10:21 PM   #3484
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I will use a sparky for the actual wiring (I’ve been warning him, the longer he avoids me the bigger the job gets ), but I’ll set the wall box and it’s neater, less rushed when I do it. Tas wall boxes are a different size to NSW, taller and a bit narrower. Ideally if a complying enclosure was 450-500 square by 250 it should suffice. I haven’t seen a dimensioned diagram of a solar charge controller and specific breakers for ≅15kW output.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:34 AM   #3485
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
I haven’t seen a dimensioned diagram of a solar charge controller and specific breakers for ≅15kW output.
That is a big charge controller 15kw?
what are you using?

Old 01-07-2022, 09:44 AM   #3486
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I haven’t spec’d anything yet.

It’s a slightly arbitrary number but the long game is to take power completely off-grid in a 75 year old suburban house, including a sizeable air-con (or as people say in Tasmania, heat pump). I want to be done in the roof before summer; all services plus insulation.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:00 PM   #3487
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
I haven’t spec’d anything yet.

It’s a slightly arbitrary number but the long game is to take power completely off-grid in a 75 year old suburban house, including a sizeable air-con (or as people say in Tasmania, heat pump). I want to be done in the roof before summer; all services plus insulation.
You will not find a charge controller with that spec.
I have done a few off grid setups, would you like a shopping list?