Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Cam
Stroking it...

Default ZF and towing..

Hi all,

Thought I'd post here for a more broad response..

I'm looking at buying a SY AWD Terri with a ZF in it. I'll be doing a fair bit of towing with it and I suspect the car I am looking at has been used to tow too..

How do these things hold up to towing? Its a 1200kg van I have..

Cheers
Cam

Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: ZF and towing..

Have the same as you, specifically bought the SY AWD for the ZF 6 speed and the fact that it came with a proper Trans cooler. Was the primary tow car for a couple of years and still gets to tow our 1,600kg caravan on occasion. It tows the ski boat up and back to Echuca 2 to 3 times a year still and does a brillant job.

The only thing we have had happen with it, was wifey was not paying attention once (again) and accidentally knocked the shifter when it was in sports mode into 4th gear and she drove another 150km towing the boat (1,200kgs) up hill and down dale without stopping. Fuel economy plummeted and performance was dead, but it did it. If she'd had stopped anywhere, the thing would have gone into first and she would have noticed....
Old 20-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Itsme
Experienced Member

I know some one who tows with a SY Terry with no problems as long as you use performance mode if heavy van used...word of warning, if in performance mode and you decide to use manual mode make sure you do not labour the vehicle as this will lead to auto problems and excessive fuel use.

With common sense you will be right...
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

You will hardly know a 1200kg van is there....
Old 26-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
Cam
Stroking it...

Well, I am enroute to Sydney to find a SY Terri, just gotta wait for the roads to re-open :(
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.

Last edited by Cam; 26-02-2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Cuz I type like my 4 year old
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

To put you at ease my old man does the grey nomad thing for 6 months in a 20' full height van from Vic to Qld every year with the G6E with no dramas on the gear box, or anything else, and has been doing so for quite a few years now. Enjoys driving it so much he has put the Landcruiser away

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: