Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2018, 06:02 PM   #1
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Question If the Opel Commodore fails to sell can the Elizabeth plant be switched back on?

I thought I'd just throw it out there to see what people say. Australian rules are that spare parts must be available for 10 years after the end of a model's life (with an all time buy option available after 7 years). So in theory all the parts should still be available to build the VFII models.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-04-2018, 06:09 PM   #2
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: If the Opel Commodore fails to sell can the Elizabeth plant be switched back on?

What's changed since it was closed?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2018, 06:11 PM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: If the Opel Commodore fails to sell can the Elizabeth plant be switched back on?

Would be nice if they just switched the lights off and locked the doors but reality dictates that it is being stripped apart bit by bit as we speak.
Somewhere between July and October is the cut off for when the decommissioning will be complete im told.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2018, 06:18 PM   #4
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Would be nice if they just switched the lights off and locked the doors but reality dictates that it is being stripped apart bit by bit as we speak.
Somewhere between July and October is the cut off for when the decommissioning will be complete im told.
What happens to all the old documents, drawings, meeting minutes etc
which were accumulated over the years?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2018, 06:21 PM   #5
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
That seems quick, I drove past Ford Geelong the other day and the door in front of the old cafeteria was open and all the machinery looked like it was still in there.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2018, 06:25 PM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Couldnt tell you, i just know that one of my Wifes work colleagues Husband has a contract until October to finish the clean up.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #7
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
That seems quick, I drove past Ford Geelong the other day and the door in front of the old cafeteria was open and all the machinery looked like it was still in there.
From what im told they are pretty keen to lease the site out as they did with the old Mitsi site at Clovelly Park.
Some say it will be a training hub, others say warehousing, not sure on the finer detail.
Its very central to the area so they dont want it to become a wasteland.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:04 PM   #8
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the shipping containers/bins going in and out of Elizabeth are anything to go by then no.
Plus it’s been sold.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-1...-group/9260458

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 10-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #9
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Sorry mate, No.

Holden are dead too.
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2018, 07:20 PM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
If the shipping containers/bins going in and out of Elizabeth are anything to go by then no.
Plus it’s been sold.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-1...-group/9260458
Well there you go, sold and inteded to become a manufacturing hub much like the Mitsi site and warehousing of spare parts.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:47 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I'm sorry but Holden is fast becoming a zombie brand, still trading while the heads work out WTF to do
and you all know what could be coming without a huge reversal of fortune and more sales activity.

I take absolutely no joy in this because there's an enormous human cost here that goes way beyond
the value of the brand or any of its coulda shoulda woulda decisions that's maybe sealed Holden's fate.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2018, 11:06 PM   #12
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
..... Australian rules are that spare parts must be available for 10 years after the end of a model's life (with an all time buy option available after 7 years). So in theory all the parts should still be available to build the VFII models.
As I've posted before, with links, there is no such rule, or any law that stipulates this common fallacy.

The wording is service & consumable items must be made available for a "reasonable period" and it's even more ambiguous when it comes to panels for smash repair.

Just ask my brother who had to wait 2 months for a VE washer bottle before the smash repairer would release his ute. On backorder for that time, despite a ready supply going into new cars on the production line. And guess what, the ACL (Australian Consumer Law) was not broken.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2018, 07:49 AM   #13
Lukeb

I doubt they would ever reuse the plant. If they wanted to restart any manufacturing they would be smarter to get a new building and a government grant to build it! 😉
Old 11-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #14
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Even if the Opel based Commodore failed to sell a single unit beyond dealer demo's, GM's approach would be "Too bad, so sad"

Australia is far too small a market for GM to be bothered about trying cater for what is ultimately a niche market, the fact that they've replaced the outgoing model with a turbo 4 cylinder front driver with a 230kw V6 AWD option and no plans beyond lip service for anything more powerful.

As for parts availability, with Ford, GM and Toyota closing up shop locally, the suppliers for a lot of the parts have simply ceased to exist.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #15
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they will rebadge a camry and call it an apollo...

my money is on the new caddy CT5
prices in the US are very similar spec for spec with Regal and ATS
Holden will beg GM for a RHD design of the new CT5 which would not be too hard
they will be made in China and the US so we might get a bit of both here
i'd say 2021 it will happen as the current commodore will be dead by then
they might even have HSV converting them before 2021 so there is no gap

purely speculation!
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2018, 09:49 AM   #16
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did the OP get (temporarily) banned for asking this question?
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #17
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford17 View Post
Did the OP get (temporarily) banned for asking this question?
Haha was wondering the same. Probably punishment for asking such a stupid question. Aussie car manufacturing is dead!
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2018, 11:31 AM   #18
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
As I've posted before, with links, there is no such rule, or any law that stipulates this common fallacy.

The wording is service & consumable items must be made available for a "reasonable period" and it's even more ambiguous when it comes to panels for smash repair.

Just ask my brother who had to wait 2 months for a VE washer bottle before the smash repairer would release his ute. On backorder for that time, despite a ready supply going into new cars on the production line. And guess what, the ACL (Australian Consumer Law) was not broken.
^^ This. I'm busy buying up OEM parts, especially interior gear, for my FG. It's dead cheap ATM.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2018, 11:33 AM   #19
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Probably sent back to GM HQ, much the same as Ford was planning. They have excellent archival facilities over there so not a bad outcome really.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #20
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
^^ This. I'm busy buying up OEM parts, especially interior gear, for my FG. It's dead cheap ATM.
I'm really surprised you can get anything. I heard that the major insurers have already bought up everything they can for their repair centres.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2018, 12:20 PM   #21
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Probably sent back to GM HQ, much the same as Ford was planning. They have excellent archival facilities over there so not a bad outcome really.
I'm not sure the Ford stuff actually went. I know that was the plan, and I'm sure they would be much better looked after in a Head Office archive, but I believe the Ford US team wouldn't sort the stuff out, and there's no local resource to do so and it is still sitting in boxes here somewhere. I hope I'm wrong.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #22
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Not sure what has happened to the Holden plant but i can tell you toyota's Altona plant has already been gutted and refurbs are taking place right now.

On a side note, is it too early right now to ask but have the 100,000's of people aligned with the car manufacturing lost their jobs yet? It was predicted by many that these would be the roll on affect of the plant closures.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:09 PM   #23
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
I'm not sure the Ford stuff actually went. I know that was the plan, and I'm sure they would be much better looked after in a Head Office archive, but I believe the Ford US team wouldn't sort the stuff out, and there's no local resource to do so and it is still sitting in boxes here somewhere. I hope I'm wrong.
There are definitively companies in Melbourne that can convert archive files to a digital format either for safe keeping or ease of search.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #24
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
On a side note, is it too early right now to ask but have the 100,000's of people aligned with the car manufacturing lost their jobs yet? It was predicted by many that these would be the roll on affect of the plant closures.
Plenty have, i dont know how those in the supply sector are going but many of the ex factory workers are buying caravans and heading off around the country on holidays whilst looking for work opportunities.
We've had a few come through our yard buying big vans with this intention.

From what the owner tells me, they've never been this busy at this time of the year.

Unemployment hit the worst in the country again last month.

On another note, rental and owner occupied properties in the Elizabeth/Munno Para/Blakeview area are hitting the market in big numbers, we had 4 listen in our street in 1 week just after christmas and only 2 have sold.
Many of the streets in our estate and suburb are seeing the same trends.

We have some major infrastructure in progress at the moment so that is probably absorbing some of the numbers, however, they are in the later stages of completion so i think it will be another 12 months until we see the full effect of the closure here in SA.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #25
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
I'm really surprised you can get anything. I heard that the major insurers have already bought up everything they can for their repair centres.
Must be where all the FG2 XR front bumpers are. I've been thinking of buying a spare and I can't find a new one anywhere

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #26
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
There are definitively companies in Melbourne that can convert archive files to a digital format either for safe keeping or ease of search.
It's not that they can't do it, it's that they won't spend the money to do it. They are only archives, and rarely needed for the company's day to day running.

And they won't farm it out to an outside business to do it - there would be a lot of sensitive information in meeting minutes & the like, that they would not want released, no matter how trusted the contractor is. It would be a security risk, and a waste of money for them.

There would be 99% of Australians who couldn't care less if those archives were incinerated or kept. It's only the true fanatics that would want to see them preserved. And remember too - many admin employees aren't there because they are fans. It's simply a job to them. They don't have the passion that the enthusiasts have, so they won't make decisions that suit the minority of us that do care.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2018, 05:49 PM   #27
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Havent seen it advertised on tv, Equinox yes.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #28
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Havent seen it advertised on tv, Equinox yes.
How about those Equinox ads. "For people with nothing to prove" - pretty much saying that there is nothing special about it, no wonder the marketing boss got the flick.

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #29
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think I'm still not over a wealthy country like ours with stuff all manufacturing , not just cars . WE ARE IDIOTS LED BY A BIGGER BUNCH OF IMBECILES IN CANBERRA ...for letting us sell out our country .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2018, 07:33 PM   #30
superyob
Banned

I have it on good authority that the site will be turning out locally produced Fender Stratocasters and Fender Twin amps with awesome clean tones but packed with a killer overdrive when needed.

Ok, I'm lying...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: