Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 18-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Rims v's tyres for drags

Just thinking out loud hear and I have seen a few options but how do people run there drag tyres to rim width? Like say I ran a 255x60x15 radial on a 8.5 rim and found it to be varied on track conditions and burnout. I run some ET Street treaded slicks 26x10.5x15 (rag tyre LT version) with tubes on a 15x10 rim and handled no different but the launch was consistent and burnout size did nothing to launch.This tyre on this rim gave me a ricer style look that alot of US 10.5 cars run with a narrower tyre to rim.

So this week I'll be switching my treaded 10.5 slicks to my 8.5 wide Welds to give me what should be perfect sidewall to rim more or less but I'll prob have to run more air as I'll have a sidewall with less pull on it so it may walk or move around a tad more ?

So back to basics do others have more luck with a over size tyre or over size rim? How doe's the car handle in either fashion ?

Cheers Rob.
mex351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Rims v's tyres for drags

Interesting question, I've never given it any thought. I run a 9" width slick on an 8" rim and never tried anything else. Now you have me wondering about it, but I wont be trying anything as we don't have a local track anymore but interested to hear what others have tried and tested.
This user likes this post:
Old 19-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll be racing again on the 11th of April @ Heathcote with the 10.5x26"x15"s on my 15x8 rims with a shallow 3.5BS so in theory I should be taking the tyre out closer to the guards to widen wheel track which on a long ute platform should make it more stable and perhaps easier to drive. If I had enough power to be a issue that is LOL

Anyway bangin for a 11 this time...fingers crossed.
Old 20-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How mush of a part do you think the diameter plays? I remember a post about traction issues where the recommendation was taller not wider?
Old 20-03-2015, 10:53 PM   #5
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well power no issue...we would all run 29" and get gearing on the big end thru tyre growth for MPH. But in my case the tallest i have run were 27.2" and for my NAT ASP 250 powered ute there prob boarder line too big. However a 26" tyre will give me better low end gearing to move it.

How the car reacts to the wheel combo is the only question.
Old 21-03-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another thing do you run rim screws or bead locks or nothing at all ? My car was turning the MT radials on the rims. Right side was always further than the left but it was turning em. Right side tyre came off with a perfect silver rim line around the bead LOL Left one not as bad.
Old 21-03-2015, 03:49 PM   #7
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No I don't use anything. Never checked to see if the were being turned either.
Old 22-03-2015, 12:58 AM   #8
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So swapped my Et Streets to my 15x8.5's and it has made em look well small. The side wall looks taller though which will prob mean it will walk or bit a bit more noticeable anyway @ speed.They actually look pretty good though with the Bunning's race kit of 16 big self tapper's installed per rim...LOL

I'll let you know in a few weeks how it pans out.
This user likes this post:
Old 11-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #9
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

Im running 275/60/15 Pro Radials on a 8" rim, bit of a sidewall bulge, looking to try a 9" rim with bead locks shortly. with 16psi cold in them i turn the rim inside the tyre 2-3" per run!