Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 21-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default gee vee's coupe

You may have read that I bought a stock XB GS 500 302 recently. This came about 20 years after the last one which I bought when I was 15 yo.

Here are some before shots from when I got her home in May 2008:

Originally I was going to leave it exactly as it was. Then I found this website and saw that these things are even more beautiful restored. I got the bug to restore her HARD!

I am a little bit obsessive compulsive and am impatient. When I set my mind to something I go for it like a bull at a gate. This means this project will be finished quickly but also that I'll make some mistakes eg the dodgy console I bought off ebay.

Within a few weeks I arranged to have the engine rebuilt, small sections of rust cut out and panel dents repaired (it was actually pretty much rust free and straight) . I'm also replacing the carpet and getting it retrimmed. Here are some pics after I got it back from the panel guy:

Here are some shots of some parts I bought off ebay:

NOS GT Grille

Seat trim. Supposedly original chamois Nylex NOS. It's actually a little darker than the original but will look great.

Fairmont honeycomb (repro)

dodgy console. I'm waiting on a better one in a couple of weeks and will repair and sell this one:

GT fuel cap and surround I picked up today for a very reasoable price (the jewel in the crown):

These are some pics taken today of the reco'd engine and my new 9" diff. Should be finished by next week then it's off for a respray.

The final job will be putting the trim back in, changing the wheels, and polishing all the chrome. I'm still after a set of convo pros but I refuse to pay full retail price (for now).

GT-GTF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
CJR09
RPO 77

Hey george - she looks bloody good and is coming along well!!

I notice you have ford script on boot lid and was wondering if you would be able to measure/dimension the verticle and horizontal spacings up for me? I have the GS ornamentation spec sheet but it does not have any dimensions on it - this would greatly help with my resto, I havn't been able to find this info anywhere...

Cheers, Cheyne
CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

I certainly admire your ability to get things done so quickly, great work too. Car looks fantastic as well and can't wait to see the finished result.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
fatasslandau
the money box

congrats its looking great the hard work will definatly be worth it well done mate
fatasslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
XBCoupeNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wondered who was buying all the parts I wanted on Ebay

Car looks great ... good to get a non-rusty model

More pics always welcomed
XBCoupeNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgevlah
You dodgy console. I'm waiting on a better one in a couple of weeks and will repair and sell this one
Once fixed you can sell it on ebay as mint!!!! How did this end up with the bloke you bought it off?

Quote:
The final job will be putting the trim back in, changing the wheels, and polishing all the chrome. I'm still after a set of convo pros but I refuse to pay full retail price (for now).
Super Plus in Hallam vic are the importers/distributors of Convo pros. Speak to them and you can ususally get them cheaper than from anywhere else. If you are lucky they do appear occasionally on Ebay as well. 15x10's 295 fit well on the back. Have a look throught the tyre bit in the coupe threads.

Looking great and its so good when you do have a good base to start with. Saves $$$ by literally thousands and you get to drive it quicker! As long as the front guards have been removed and Plenum has been checked and cleared out?

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBCoupeNZ
I wondered who was buying all the parts I wanted on Ebay

Car looks great ... good to get a non-rusty model

More pics always welcomed
Maybe we should start a thread listing our e-bay user names so we don't end up bidding against each other and paying more than we should for parts.
Any takers?

Sorry to hi-jack your thread George, oh, and the car is looking fantastic so far.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
Maybe we should start a thread listing our e-bay user names so we don't end up bidding against each other and paying more than we should for parts.
Any takers?
Good idea Mark, i'm sometimes known as:

Bidder 1
Bidder 2
Bidder 6
Bidder 9

Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe

Bidder 1
Bidder 2
Bidder 6
Bidder 9

: just remembered it's all changed.
I've got an excuse though, it's nightshift and not enough sleep. :
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe

Bidder 1
Bidder 2
Bidder 6
Bidder 9

galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 03:35 PM   #11
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Hey George, great to see all the work you've done so far. You're not mucking around, that's for sure. Looks like it'll be a very sweet ride.

Keep the pics and updates comming!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #12
XBCoupeNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
: just remembered it's all changed.
I've got an excuse though, it's nightshift and not enough sleep. :
Don't worry ... I thought your idea had some merit

And I don't work night shift ... no excuse just a bit : on weekends
Old 22-06-2008, 09:45 PM   #13
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09
Hey george - she looks bloody good and is coming along well!!

I notice you have ford script on boot lid and was wondering if you would be able to measure/dimension the verticle and horizontal spacings up for me? I have the GS ornamentation spec sheet but it does not have any dimensions on it - this would greatly help with my resto, I havn't been able to find this info anywhere...

Cheers, Cheyne
Won't see her again for a weeks or so a I'm going away Tues. Will check when I get back and let u know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
As long as the front guards have been removed and Plenum has been checked and cleared out?
Thanks for the tip. The whole car will be checked again before respray.

Last edited by Auslandau; 22-06-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 23-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #14
Electric XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looking good,you certainly do not lack decision making skills.
Electric XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 01:06 AM   #15
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

She's looking good George

Keep us posted mate

Rgds

Another George
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #16
drcoupe
1975 XB Falcon 500 Coupe

Looks great George I am interested to see how it progresses. Did you find it hard to take the plunge and how did you decide where to start?

I am in the same position as you, recently got a stock XB Falcon 500 302 and I sold my last one 20 years ago. Got me buggered where to start though as I am having a lot of fun driving it.
drcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #17
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoupe
Looks great George I am interested to see how it progresses. Did you find it hard to take the plunge and how did you decide where to start?

I am in the same position as you, recently got a stock XB Falcon 500 302 and I sold my last one 20 years ago. Got me buggered where to start though as I am having a lot of fun driving it.
Hi

I just decided to do some tidying up and when I saw some done up coupes on this forum I decided to go all in. I am lucky in that my cousin Tony at Fairford Spares has fixed/done up and restored lots of cars. He is rebuilding the engine and running gear and has referred me to trimmers, exhaust shops etc.

I recommend you try and hook up with a pro who can hold your hand the whole way through. Also, do lots of reading on this site and ask members lots of questions. I have found that there are alot of knowledgable, passionate and helpful enthusiasts lurking around these forums!

PS I am missing driving my coupe and I only had her for a few weeks before I started fxing her up.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #18
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default sandstone beige

the car is still with the panelbeater who is finishing off straightening some panels and going over some of the repairs the last boke inflicted on my coupe.

i have prviously thought i would paint this car red pepper and have already sprayed the engine bay that colour. the original factory colour was sandstone beige but it was moza red when i bought it. now i have never seen sandstone beige in the flesh only the picture beow.

i was talking to a guy today who said he has seen a sandstone beige sedan in sydney and it looks nothing like the pic. he says it is more like a gunmetal grey than a beige. he thinks sandstone beige is a great colour and that i am mad for going red pepper.

have any of you seen sandstone beige on a car? does anyone have a better photo of a sandstone beige coupe? is the colour dull like the above? is it a desirable colour? i thought not but this bloke today was very convincing and has me wondering!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:10 PM   #19
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

hey george, i believe that this is sandstone beige. either way, i have no doubt that it does not resemble gunmetal grey. it is a few shades darker than mushroom beige which is my old colour
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #20
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
hey george, i believe that this is sandstone beige. either way, i have no doubt that it does not resemble gunmetal grey. it is a few shades darker than mushroom beige which is my old colour
if it's your "old colour" i take it you don't rate it?
Old 03-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #21
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

this is my old colour (sorry to hijack you thread with pics of other cars) mushroom beige

i do not mind either colour, but i personally would rather something a bit brighter. in all honesty i love coupes in any colour. i did like the mushroom beige, but i needed to touch up a couple of spots that were repaired so with a total respray, a hotter colour was chosen. the original shape as opposed to original colours, engines etc. are what is important to me

i did repaint it in 1990, maybe now i MIGHT not have changed it, but i think the red would still win
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #22
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default quick update

I have to take back all the horrible things I have said and thought about the guy doing the panel and paint. I took a look at where he is up to on Sat and it all looks brilliant!!!!

He has done a fantastic job and I could not be happier. He has taken over 1000 photos which he has on a disc that he will give me. This guy is a perfectionist.

I am picking the car up later this week and will post some pics. All that is then left is putting in the trim and the dash/dashpad.

I can then focus my attention on finding some nice rims. I would be happy with a nice clean (wide) set of globes, chrome 12 slotters or hotwires. For the moment I have gone off the convo pros as I am keeping it all original. I have gone back to the factory combo of sandstone beige and walnut glow so it is pretty much all stock as it left the factory (apart from the 9 inch and a couple of other upgrades to the engine and running gear).
Old 17-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #23
XBCoupeNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I actually quite like the sandstone beige. My coupe also, was that colour out of the factory and I was considering returning it to that colour ... you just don't seem to see it these days.

Good on you for putting it back on
Old 17-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #24
Uncle Raggy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see you've bought a Landau now too, nice one mate!
Uncle Raggy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #25
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleraggy
I see you've bought a Landau now too, nice one mate!
Not me, my nephew using my id!
Old 17-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #26
XB74GS

Quote:
I have gone back to the factory combo of sandstone beige and walnut glow so it is pretty much all stock as it left the factory (apart from the 9 inch and a couple of other upgrades to the engine and running gear).
Good on you for deciding to keep it original.
Sandstone Beige & Walnut Glow are IMO a fantasic colour combo.
You wont be disaponted when it's finished.
Cheers
Todd.
XB74GS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #27
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default She's finished

I have finally worked out my new camera and taken the opportunity to post some pics of the finished coupe. You will see that I decided to take her back to her original colour combo of sandstone beige with walnut glow highlights.

The interior is NOS nylex chamois. It turns out that its nos Holden chamois not Ford as I thought. I actually prefer it as it suits the exterior better. The Ford chamois is yellower.

I have pretty much finished now. Overall there were not to many dramas and all up the rebuild only took a few months. I made some mistakes along the way and learnt alot about Fords, car restoration, and the peculiar personality traits of car tradesmen. I generally had a ball!

At some stage I might install a stereo and alarm and tidy up the fitting of the superfringe stereo I have installed. In the past two weeks I have had my cousin tone down the engine a little and tune her properly as she was very temperamental. I had problems starting her and she kept stalling at the lights. She now runs much smoother and a little quieter. I have no problem starting her now and love driving every chance I get! Enjoy the pics.

(I should have polished chrome before I took this photo! all the chrome has been rechromed but you can't tell in this next pic)

Old 02-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #28
phoon
BOLLOCKS

Looks fantastic George. I love the pic of the back of the beast.
phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #29
Electric XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That looks incredible and finnished just in time for christmas,good choice for going with the original colour.

cheers jason
Electric XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #30
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

George that is absolutely tremendous!

I would redwall the tyres for $80 - $100 as it will finsih it off (check out Whingey (username) XA coupe before and after shots re the redwalls. Food for thought!

Awesome stuff - quickest turnaround build in history ; like something out of Overhaulin

George
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post