Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
Vortex-98

Default AU1 5.0 battery level dropping

Had some issue with my battery draining power ...like i will charge the battery up an then disconnect wen I see it's charged...next morning jump in an it's dead flat...what could be using up my power when cars switched off...
The other day we jump started it an I could literally see the voltage drop from 15 down to 13....that i saw while I was driving ,like shouldn' the return line feed the charge from alternator back into the battery
Old 05-06-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
Vortex-98

Default Re: AU1 5.0 battery level dropping

The car doesn't have a car alarm to help drain power an I never had a problem in the 2 yrs I'd owned it...How can I tell if the alternator is charging my battery while I'm driving with a multi meter.
If there an old style battery do you just fill the terminals with water,they were only half full so I topped them up..the battery just not holding it's charge
Old 05-06-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Your battery guage on your dash will tell you if the alternator is charging, if the needle is over to the right (14.3v) its charging, if its over to the left (13.2v & under) its not. Check with the multimeter at idle & look for the numbers i mentioned.

If your Xr8 is a s1 & your alternator is stuffed the easiest way out of it is to get another good s1 alternator unless you have the cash to get a auto electrician to convert a new s2 alternator to replace the faulty one, good luck!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-06-2018, 10:18 PM   #4
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do what Maka's suggested re testing the alternator - also put your headlights/high beam on and watch what the voltmeter does.

How old is the battery ? Get it tested at a garage - takes 5 min with a tester.

If everything is fine, you'll need to then go through and find which accessory is drawing the power.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
Vortex-98

The battery was on its last legs..I had it on charge overnight but it wouldn't charge...I just replaced the battery an it's all good, no alternator issues or anyth i ng now and starts up first go I was just a bit concerned cos it happened so fast i checked battery was 13.20v I thought that wouldnt be enough to stop it starting but it was.bt it was an old style battery. so it was due for a replacement soon anyway