Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 19-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default ANDRA passes No Cage for 10's for modern vehicles.

The Australian National Drag Racing Association is set to make big changes to its rules for street cars, with modern ‘street registered’ vehicles being permitted to run without roll cages down to a limit of 10.00 seconds for the first time.Under the new safety rules, vehicles manufactured post January 1, 2008 will be able to run as quick as 10.00 seconds and as fast as 140mph (225.30kph) (whichever is reached first) for the quarter mile without a roll cage.ANDRA technical manager Steve Power has commissioned various reports on safety developments in modern street vehicles and, importantly, how these translate to the drag strip.“For some time there has been debate on the suitability and application of later model safety improvements and related restrictions,” he said. “There was merit in the theory, corresponding ADRs and improvements in safety ratings all suggested manufacturers were headed in the right direction for ‘on street’ safety standards. However there was a significant gap between ‘on street’ performance and ‘off street’ racing.”In early 2013 ANDRA commissioned a number of tests and computer simulations to be conducted and certified by a recognised engineering firm. The goal was to get a thorough understanding of not only modern safety features and how they would relate to a higher speed incident, but also how older cars could be brought up to a safe standard while not compromising some state registration requirements.A full presentation and accompanying certification was considered by the ANDRA board and approval was granted for the implementation of new standards in regards to late model (01/2008) cut offs.“Many modern vehicles are capable of covering a drag strip very quickly but also safely and we hope that people who have previously worried about having to extensively modify brand new vehicles will now be able to race in a safe and legal environment,” Mr Power said.Street registered, sedan-based vehicles (and derivatives such as utilities and wagons) with a compliance identification plate of at least 01JAN2008, will be allowed to run down to 10.00 seconds and 140mph, whichever is exceeded first, under the following conditions:• Late model vehicles with a high centre of gravity (such as SUVs and vans) do not meet the definition for sedan-based vehicles and as such are not accepted.*• Vehicles must be enclosed, no convertible-style vehicles permitted.*• Prohibited modifications include: any alteration to structural parts of the vehicle, floor pan alteration, firewall alteration, wheel tub modifications and any alteration to ADR safety items.*• Vehicles may use OEM modern three point seatbelts using pre-load tensioners will be acceptable. Harness seatbelts of 4pt, 5pt or 6pt design are also acceptable.If you have any queries about the changes, please email Steve Power at*steve.power@andra.com.au.Licence RequirementsDDL = Divisional Day Licence, SSL = Super Street LicenceNote: Racers competing in Super Street at a regional championship level or higher require a Super Street Licence. Racers competing in Super Sedan require an Unlimited Drag Licence.

vevapower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: ANDRA passes No Cage for 10's for modern vehicles.

A good sensible decision, with many street cars scared off coming to the track because they need a cage. A stock Porsche turbo breaks into the tens these days!
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
05_ENFORCER

An old rule due for a long overdue review/change

Hooray

Old 19-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

FG/VE onwards... probably a good call for the local cars considering the BA shell is not really much different to the AU from late 90's anyway and all commo' pre-VE were underweight for there size.

Anyone that runs a 9 has probably achieved their goals for a streetcar one would assume anyway... I know thats how I feel with the FG (and not with the AU )

Good work ANDRA

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BF MK11 can still run yet early BF cant sort of makes sense
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
rednose
RNS10S

Lucky my BF is a 2008 model, unlucky for veva as he's now at over 140 MPH.
rednose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #7
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny as a lot of imports can do a 10 with factory engines & drivleines , have similar safety designs , yet miss out ....

Really ? I don't see this moving with the times ......

I see it as a cop out for anything other than a handful of late model weapons ....

Technically it's 5 year old cars which should still be under warranty , and not running 10's anyways !

Guess I'm just ****ed as I was aiming at 10's with the next stage in my car hoping it would fall within the Airbag 4wdiscs rules ....

And yes running standard everything with Highflowed turbos & e85 . That's all it needed .

But I don't want to cage it, so it won't happen now :(

1991 Toyota Soarer TT - 11.72 @ 116.7mph

2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 - Family Ride .
dieseltrain79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watch the the 2nd hand FG market explode now.

took them 20 years to make this change so I guess we should be somewhat greatful.

Old 20-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No balls and contradicting masses at the helm.

They have followed the yank rule.
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely some dispensation is better than none? These rules are there for competitors safety not just to pee people off. Don't know if Id like to be in any car rolling at 140mph, airbag/4w disc or otherwise without a cage and harness etc.
Old 20-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

Just go race at heathgoat....
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
63futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if they will change to the 10.5 for old cars like we have on Wednesday nights
63futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63futura View Post
I wonder if they will change to the 10.5 for old cars like we have on Wednesday nights
ur funny

i can't see that happening, would be good if it does, got aloooooot of mate's running on the cusp of 10-sec passes.
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
XT302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac View Post
ur funny

i can't see that happening, would be good if it does, got aloooooot of mate's running on the cusp of 10-sec passes.
Isn't this already the case in Perth?
WSID same track managers arn't they?
Old 20-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
ronnyBB
Channel 4 news team

This thread name is such a fricken tease
What a let down for 97% of the readers
Old 20-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #16
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Veva , how many people does this rule change honestly please , compared to how many it could really please if it were for a lot of pre 2008 cars ...

So I can go buy a new Suzuki Alto , 2jz rwd the thing and run 10.00 @ 139.9mph .....

Seriously imagine that coming undone and bouncing off walls .....

That's the issue . I have with it .... It's just a load of BS IMO , more cons than pros

2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseltrain79 View Post
Veva , how many people does this rule change honestly please , compared to how many it could really please if it were for a lot of pre 2008 cars ...

So I can go buy a new Suzuki Alto , 2jz rwd the thing and run 10.00 @ 139.9mph .....

Seriously imagine that coming undone and bouncing off walls .....

That's the issue . I have with it .... It's just a load of BS IMO , more cons than pros
No you can't. To do that modification you will need to alter the floorpan, which will require you to run a full cage for those times.

Why can't people accept that this rule change means it encourages more people with quick cars out onto the strip? Especially the late model crowd who can get into the tens with little work. An R35 GTR will run tens for the price of a tune. An FG will run tens for less than $10K. What is not to like?
So what if your 1991 soarer misses out? Going by the rules before the change, you could't run without a cage anyhow.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT302 View Post
Isn't this already the case in Perth?
WSID same track managers arn't they?
i meant WSID, Ray Treasure used to work for Perth i believe, but, different rules apply for insurances.
Old 21-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #19
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Veva , I was guaging the changes would fall in line with Perth & Willowbank , as you would expect a national administration to cover all setups and tracks with the same rules .

I'm not sayin it's a bad thing for those that it suits ...

But I fail to see how a 2008 onward car suits differently than a 2003 . How did they conclude a date ?

IMO , they changed the date to 2008 as it means many cars is still under factory , so there would be a bare minimum increase in how many competitors this would suit .

At the end of the day , it is what it is ....

And I you want to have a 10 second streeter you can legitimately race , you need to have over 40k to do so . It has priced out a lot of budget conscious racers .

And budget doesn't always mean dangerous

My opinions not aimed at any persons , just the organisation .

4 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #20
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

+1 for budget conscious racers, I wish I had Paulie's budget..........
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #21
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant View Post
+1 for budget conscious racers, I wish I had Paulie's budget..........
and i wish i had Campo's budget

my car is pretty budget conscious, compared to others. although it should run 6-sec passes, the car should be pretty low maintenance, as will do my own tuning, new spark plugs every meet $30, oil & filter $100, fuel $120.

10.5W tyres are the biggest thing, changing every 30 passes (4-5 meets) @ a cost of $1000

probably spend more on food knowing how much we eat, target is under $1000 a meet

apart from packing chutes and checking tune, won't be alot of maintenance inbetween rounds.
Old 22-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #22
prasac
Banned

what was the ANCAP rating on the FG's vs the BA/BF? maybe some argument to be made there??

if car's score a certain ANCAP rating or whatever other scale their is, maybe they can run those vehicles?
Old 22-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #23
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
and i wish i had Campo's budget

my car is pretty budget conscious, compared to others. although it should run 6-sec passes, the car should be pretty low maintenance, as will do my own tuning, new spark plugs every meet $30, oil & filter $100, fuel $120.

10.5W tyres are the biggest thing, changing every 30 passes (4-5 meets) @ a cost of $1000

probably spend more on food knowing how much we eat, target is under $1000 a meet

apart from packing chutes and checking tune, won't be alot of maintenance inbetween rounds.
I can afford to run it just not build it lol
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #24
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
what was the ANCAP rating on the FG's vs the BA/BF? maybe some argument to be made there??

if car's score a certain ANCAP rating or whatever other scale their is, maybe they can run those vehicles?
AU-B series were all 4 star, FG 5 star.

VE launched 4 star but at some point was reclassified 5 star.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #25
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not all ****y and moany , it is great for those that can take advantage of the rules ! And spectators can see some late model weapons .

Forgot to add that in there somewhere ... Hehe

Old 22-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #26
63futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The stupid thing for us in Perth is we can run 10.5s on a Wednesday night with our old cars but not allowed to race an Andra event unless we slow them down to 11.00
63futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2013, 01:39 AM   #27
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

All 997 911 Turbo owners rejoice!
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #28
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

997 911 turbo S drivers.

Old 23-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #29
ronnyBB
Channel 4 news team

Quote:
The stupid thing for us in Perth is we can run 10.5s on a Wednesday night with our old cars but not allowed to race an Andra event unless we slow them down to 11.00
ANDRA is the problem, actually the world of suing is the real problem
Racers want to race at their own risk
I know i know its an insurance issue but its a real pity that a way cant be found to allow old quick street cars
You'd expect more entrants and more spectators that way
I feel like the sport is struggling as it is (especially in Adelaide) and this cage rule is stunting the growth of the sport
I know alot of the old school racers are in the 9 or 10 sec bracket with their street cars, its just so easy to do these days if you can save a bit of coin (or have saved over a lifetime) and you cant even use them on the track
My winge
Old 23-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #30
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Put a cage in and it only runs 11.00 due to the extra weight