Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2018, 09:08 PM   #1
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Went for a ride in an FGX XR6T ute?

Was at a local Pub a few hours ago and a mate i know turned up in his FGX XR6T ute.

Told him i needed to be taken for a ride and he said O.k?

Very quick car for only 4.0 litres + Turbo.

I'm very impressed!!!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Default Re: Went for a ride in an FGX XR6T ute?

I've heard they get along alright!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

@GasoLane;
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2018, 10:41 PM   #3
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Mate told me they can keep up with a V8, reckon he's having a lend or what?

(Just re-living 2003)
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2018, 11:14 PM   #4
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Their damned quick. My sleeper FG has the entire driveline and electrics front to back from a NSW HWP FG-X 2016. In stock tune it went like absolute stink, all I can say is you wouldn't want one of these chasing you, regardless of what you are driving
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2018, 09:45 AM   #5
Danny
GT4.

Where u been since 2002 mate?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2018, 05:05 PM   #6
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Where u been since 2002 mate?
Been driving NA straight 6 Falcons and Fairmonts since my 4.1 Crossflow XF S pack i bought when i was about 21 which i rebuillt myself and threw in a Crow Cams LPG camshaft while i was at it.

Used to play with my SOHC 4.0's with different cam profiles etc to try and make LPG go harder.

Still only ever had NA 4.0 Falcons.

Never had the chance to jump in XR6T until last night

The fricken thing broke traction at about 80k's p/hr and went waaaaaaay past that in a very short amount of time.

Only went down to a roundabout and came back!

They reckon where best best mates now both being Falcon drivers lol.
5 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBFWagon View Post
Been driving NA straight 6 Falcons and Fairmonts since my 4.1 Crossflow XF S pack i bought when i was about 21 which i rebuillt myself and threw in a Crow Cams LPG camshaft while i was at it.

Used to play with my SOHC 4.0's with different cam profiles etc to try and make LPG go harder.

Still only ever had NA 4.0 Falcons.

Never had the chance to jump in XR6T until last night

The fricken thing broke traction at about 80k's p/hr and went waaaaaaay past that in a very short amount of time.

Only went down to a roundabout and came back!

They reckon where best best mates now both being Falcon drivers lol.
Very few standard cars at that price point can match a stock FG-X XR6T for outright adrenaline rush and driving experience. It's just so effortless and the transmission is perfectly matched to that potent boosted I6. Throw a few dollars at it and you've got a ball tearing machine that will punch well above its weight.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2018, 11:22 PM   #8
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2018, 01:27 AM   #9
Dezza
Parts bin special

I've owned my FG Turbo ute for nearly 2 years. It's pretty much stock, but it's still such an incredible rush when you put the foot down. It's great fun.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2018, 10:45 AM   #10
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

I've had mine 6 months and Eco the sentiments here. Manual to so it's a handful to drive sometimes but so potent in a straight line and it's not too kind on rear tyres
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #11
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In 2006 I owned a Ts50 and my wife a tl50. I have had lots of v8 falcons. My friend had a te50 and that was manual and felt a lot quicker than both my T cars. He sold his te50 and bought a new bf F6 auto. Came to my place and let me drive it. I fell in love before we hit 100 km/h. Since then I have had 6 turbo falcons and still own 3 right now. I’m still in love 12 years on
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2018, 11:12 AM   #12
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually my first turbo falcon a 1990 Fairmont ghia with AIT turbo kit photo taken in 1996. I beat ford by 6 years. See ford can learn from there loyal customers

Last edited by boss351290; 04-04-2018 at 06:11 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2018, 11:17 AM   #13
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry the EA makes it 7 turbo falcons
Old 12-01-2018, 11:25 AM   #14
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Turbos & Falcons go back way further too - Normalair-Garrett were doing kits in the early 80s that were featured in popular publications, and who can forget one of my favourite cars ever built - the AIT AWD XF Ghia Turbo.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2018, 11:32 AM   #15
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

I've owned and driven a lot of cars in my 41 years of driving.
My XR6T is the only car out of all those (well maybe except an XY GT manual) that still puts a smile on my face every day.
Not a day goes past that I don't enjoy driving it in just over 3 years of ownership from brand new.

The day will eventually come, and the problem for me and many others will be what to replace it with (brand new).... My only current affordable option to keep me smiling would be a Mustang.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-01-2018, 01:43 PM   #16
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think we are witnessing the birth of a boost addiction. Enjoy...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #17
Seasoned One
Seasoned One

always had v8 falcons, still love them, my favourite was my au11 xr8, but I will never forget my 'first' WOT experience in a turbo fg.... stabbed it across an intersection to avoid an idiot...... and WOW... I now have one.
1967 xr Falcon ute 289
1966 xr Fairmont 289
Seasoned One is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2018, 05:51 PM   #18
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If only Ford Oz had made an FG or FGX XR6T wagon.

Might have to go to FTG Auto Salvage and get them to build me one like the red 'F6WGN' someone posted up here a few weeks/months ago.

I love my wagon.....very handy for loading up with all sorts of stuff.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:49 PM   #19
barnz_xr8
Turbo 358W

My brother works for a ford dealer, one day he turned up in a FGX xr6 sedan injected gas curtesy car, I asked and he gave me the keys for a test drive, I was absolutely impressed by the power of it , it was a rocket of a thing, It would give a stock auto BA-BF xr6t a run for its money that's for sure, which is pretty amazing it being a naturally aspirated LPG version of the same engine.
barnz_xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2018, 10:22 PM   #20
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnz_xr8 View Post
My brother works for a ford dealer, one day he turned up in a FGX xr6 sedan injected gas curtesy car, I asked and he gave me the keys for a test drive, I was absolutely impressed by the power of it , it was a rocket of a thing, It would give a stock auto BA-BF xr6t a run for its money that's for sure, which is pretty amazing it being a naturally aspirated LPG version of the same engine.
I've had my LPi since new - got it when they first came out in Sept 2011 (had to wait 9 months for it). A number of people I took out in it thought it was a V8, purely from the power. When I had an American colleague visit, he fell in love with my FG - and when I told him about the turbos, he wanted to see if an FG could be converted to LHD.

They are a great car, and many people simply didn't get to experience them because of badge snobbery, bias against large cars, and lack or marketig from Ford. When I drove the demo LPi in June 2011 to assess it for work, it was plastered up the side with "cheaper at the pump than a Toyota Corolla" - and it is.

I get better value out of it than a diesel Mondeo - in true dollar terms. I even did a return trip from Sydney to Melbourne with a Prius, and the LPI was $16 cheaper in fuel for the trip than the Prius. I chose it because of the economy for commuting, the size (ever since I survived a huge head-on in a BA, I've been averse to small cars), and the ability to tow a loaded car trailer comfortably.

I would have had a turbo, except for the 125 odd km I do each day. In the next 2 years the company will be forced to move, so if they come closer to home by 1/2 way or better, I can then justify the commuting cost, and would love to find a clean FG-X G6ET.

But it's amazing to think that the power & torque levels from an LPG 4.0L exceeded the best Holden/HSV could get out of a 5.0L some 10-12 years prior. One of the funniest moments I've had on the road is 2 young fools in an n/a Supra at the lights, with red P-plates on it. As they pulled up the passenger says "it's got an LPG sticker, it will be slow." I couldn't resist, and boy was he not happy. Next lights they were very quiet...... the LPG prejudice is still alive & well, even in a generation that was born when LPG injection systems were coming on-stream.
6 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #21
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a BF F6 followed by an FG F6 and in my opinion they are one of the greatest bang for buck cars ever made.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2018, 01:52 AM   #22
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
I've had my LPi since new - got it when they first came out in Sept 2011 (had to wait 9 months for it). A number of people I took out in it thought it was a V8, purely from the power. When I had an American colleague visit, he fell in love with my FG - and when I told him about the turbos, he wanted to see if an FG could be converted to LHD. .
Looking at the firewall of an FG, it has some level of symmetry and what appears to be a blank mounting point for brake booster on the passenger side. Even the design of the dashboard in the FG is symmetrical and appears to be designed with LHD in mind, unlike the EA to BA. It's really sad to see Ford Aus did make an effort to have an export programme, but Detroit wouldn't have any if it. But the general failure and lukewarm reception of the dowdy VE commdore in the US sort of sealed its fate I guess...
Old 13-01-2018, 02:41 AM   #23
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Boost is always addictive
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2018, 02:21 PM   #24
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've had my LPi since new - got it when they first came out in Sept 2011 (had to wait 9 months for it). A number of people I took out in it thought it was a V8, purely from the power. When I had an American colleague visit, he fell in love with my FG - and when I told him about the turbos, he wanted to see if an FG could be converted to LHD.

They are a great car, and many people simply didn't get to experience them because of badge snobbery, bias against large cars, and lack or marketig from Ford. When I drove the demo LPi in June 2011 to assess it for work, it was plastered up the side with "cheaper at the pump than a Toyota Corolla" - and it is.

I get better value out of it than a diesel Mondeo - in true dollar terms. I even did a return trip from Sydney to Melbourne with a Prius, and the LPI was $16 cheaper in fuel for the trip than the Prius. I chose it because of the economy for commuting, the size (ever since I survived a huge head-on in a BA, I've been averse to small cars), and the ability to tow a loaded car trailer comfortably.

I would have had a turbo, except for the 125 odd km I do each day. In the next 2 years the company will be forced to move, so if they come closer to home by 1/2 way or better, I can then justify the commuting cost, and would love to find a clean FG-X G6ET.

But it's amazing to think that the power & torque levels from an LPG 4.0L exceeded the best Holden/HSV could get out of a 5.0L some 10-12 years prior. One of the funniest moments I've had on the road is 2 young fools in an n/a Supra at the lights, with red P-plates on it. As they pulled up the passenger says "it's got an LPG sticker, it will be slow." I couldn't resist, and boy was he not happy. Next lights they were very quiet...... the LPG prejudice is still alive & well, even in a generation that was born when LPG injection systems were coming on-stream.
I would bolt a turbo onto your lpi. Boost and gas, mmmm.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2018, 02:28 PM   #25
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

How would the valves and seats hold up in that situation?
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2018, 02:35 PM   #26
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
I would bolt a turbo onto your lpi. Boost and gas, mmmm.
Don't worry, I've had that thought. And if the LPi can't flow enough, it's only a matter of slotting in a petrol tank & pump into the vacant space that's already there. 12:1 comp in the LPG motor would be a problem for boost though
Old 13-01-2018, 02:43 PM   #27
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
How would the valves and seats hold up in that situation?
Someone will correct me if im wrong but i believe the lpi heads are manufactured to mitigate the problem.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 13-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #28
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Okay. Thanks.
Old 13-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #29
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't worry, I've had that thought. And if the LPi can't flow enough, it's only a matter of slotting in a petrol tank & pump into the vacant space that's already there. 12:1 comp in the LPG motor would be a problem for boost though
High compression, boost and gas are a match made in heaven.

Let us know how it goes with 30psi.

Jokes aside, I can't believe more people haven't turbo'd these motors.
IF you could keep the 12:1 and the head stays attached....wow what a rocket!

XC Cobra #181.
Old 13-01-2018, 02:54 PM   #30
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

It is common to run 12:1 and more with methanol and ethanol in blown applications

I wonder is LP_ has similar properties?

Last edited by solarite_guy; 13-01-2018 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Added blown applications
3 users like this post: