Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #61
AUFanboy

Default Re: AU Scantool Experiments (codes/live data!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverT2TE50 View Post
This thread makes me happy. See?

I just ordered my ELM327...

I hope that you don't mind me asking: what language you are developing your software in AUFanboy?

Would it be safe to assume that the http://gopointtech.com/ product would work, but with only a small percentage of the data coming from an AU?
I was developing (actually, more like hacking together) a windows app in C#, but abandoned it after discovering FORScan, which does everything I was planning to do and more, and looks a million times nicer

I doubt the gopoint product will work at all, because the AU doesn't respond to normal OBD2 commands - only the "extended" mode 22 PIDs and mode 13/14 requests to read/clear codes. Most standard OBD2 software will freak out if the car doesn't respond to standard OBD2 commands.

I was also toying with the idea of an Android app but found a way to get the "Torque" android app working (for live data, not fault codes) with the AU. It's a bit clunky but works. Not sure if there any any iphone apps that have the level of customisability required (i.e., custom PIDs and custom headers). You may have to roll your own, but the iphone's lack of support for virtual serial ports over bluetooth is a pain. There are WIFI ELM327 adaptors available - if you can figure out how to get a virtual serial port over WIFI then the rest shouldn't be too hard. It's just a matter of sending the mode 22 requests outlined in the above posts to the ELM327 (e.g., 221440), waiting for the response, then parsing the data. I've outlined how the parse the data for a few PIDs above. Unfortunately the scaling and offsets etc are poorly documented and have to be figured out though trial and error.
AUFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #62
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFanboy View Post
I was developing (actually, more like hacking together) a windows app in C#, but abandoned it after discovering FORScan, which does everything I was planning to do and more, and looks a million times nicer
I hear ya - we'd really only be entertaining ourselves it seems. It looks like FORscan is going to (eventually) release an Android version anyway...

This is still a great thread though
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #63
rvcapri
Starter Motor

Came across this thread just a couple of days ago after searching on and off for a couple of years on any info about scanning my AU's.

My hat off to the folk willing to chase up these kinds of details and producing tools like FORscan and then sharing their knowledge with mere mortals like myself.

That said, I've got trouble connecting both of my cars (AU I XR8 and AU II dedicated gas wagon).

I'm using an ELM327 v1.5 and followed the instructions from FORscan as far as I can tell. When pressing the connect button, the screen comes up with
Connecting to ELM, please wait...
Connecting to vehicle, reading vehicle info...

Then, after a little while an error box pops up saying:

'Unable to connect to vehicle. Please make sure the ignition key is ON and try again'

Obviously, I had my igition set to ON, but no luck for both vehicles.

Found a similar thing previously when I tried to get the thing connected via a hyperterminal (as detailed earlier in the thread and on another forum). After the atsp1, atshE4 10 F1, 13, it came back with an 'FB ERROR' when the ignition was on and with a 'NO DATA' with the igition off. Also tried 'atrv' and it spat back 12.0V so seems to be doing something vaguely useful.

Read on other forums that the wiring sometimes gets mixed up on these ELM tools (mine's the usual cheap job from HK/China). Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong or what the problem with my ELM tool might be? Anyone in Perth that's got a working ELM tool I might be able to check with?

So close and yet so far

Cheers,
Volker

QUOTE=SilverT2TE50;4629451]I hear ya - we'd really only be entertaining ourselves it seems. It looks like FORscan is going to (eventually) release an Android version anyway...

This is still a great thread though [/QUOTE]
rvcapri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 03:13 AM   #64
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

I got mine today and the only way I could get it to connect at all was to select 'auto' in both the com port selection setting and the com port seed setting. I managed to clear codes and display static values in the dashboard but streaming worked only momentarily before locking up with an error. I'll retread this thread and then try again - will post what I learn...
TE2 #116
Old 20-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #65
AUFanboy

I had the same problem with an ELM327 v1.4 module that I bought a couple years ago - just gave NO DATA. There were a couple of wires switched around but I can't remember which ones - I accidently fried it while testing it after re-wiring (applied 12v to the OUTPUT side of the 5v voltage regulator on the board -- whoops). Bought a v1.5 and it worked fine out of the box... I also have a bluetooth one that works fine. Seems there are a few bad ones out there.
Old 20-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #66
rvcapri
Starter Motor

Thanks for that. Found this link which may be of some use:
http://forum.multiecuscan.net/viewto...ee3da2b57a702d

I have no idea of how an ELM327 is meant to be wired, but in the absence of any other options, I'll open mine up and see if the instructions on the above thread apply.

Cheers,
Volker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFanboy View Post
I had the same problem with an ELM327 v1.4 module that I bought a couple years ago - just gave NO DATA. There were a couple of wires switched around but I can't remember which ones - I accidently fried it while testing it after re-wiring (applied 12v to the OUTPUT side of the 5v voltage regulator on the board -- whoops). Bought a v1.5 and it worked fine out of the box... I also have a bluetooth one that works fine. Seems there are a few bad ones out there.
Old 21-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #67
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

Forscan is working for me too, on an AUIII, with an ELM327 USB adaptor. Worth noting that it (Forscan) had some issues that were solved by downloading the latest (very recent) version. In particular the car would stall after about 30 seconds while running the oscilloscope function at idle. Fixed now.

Trans temp appears under supported PIDs, but the value is always 'No'. I was thinking maybe it's a binary, as in overheated yes or no. But it sounds like a temp reading should be available. No biggie for me as I have a trans temp gauge, but it would be fun to compare the two.

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #68
AUFanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty View Post
Forscan is working for me too, on an AUIII, with an ELM327 USB adaptor. Worth noting that it (Forscan) had some issues that were solved by downloading the latest (very recent) version. In particular the car would stall after about 30 seconds while running the oscilloscope function at idle. Fixed now.

Trans temp appears under supported PIDs, but the value is always 'No'. I was thinking maybe it's a binary, as in overheated yes or no. But it sounds like a temp reading should be available. No biggie for me as I have a trans temp gauge, but it would be fun to compare the two.
I've had FORScan/ELM327 reboot the ECU a couple of times too... good to hear it seems to be fixed in the new version.

Trans temp on the AU seems to be a weird one that isn't in FORScan (yet). You can get it by sending 22092C from hyperterminal. Returns two hex bytes, which are trans temp in degC.

What temps do you see on your gauge, out of interest, and where is it plumbed in? Mine runs about 70 to 85 degrees C once fully warmed up. That's with the factory oil-to-water cooler plus a small external cooler in series. Before I added the cooler it ran about 15 degrees warmer.
Old 22-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #69
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

Fanboy my temps are similar to yours, though it will also stay in the 60s indefinitely if lightly loaded in cool weather. I have a large aftermarket cooler only - the radiator heat exchanger is bypassed. My pickup is on the pipe that comes out of the box to the cooler.

That hexadecimal stuff is too clever for me! Ya know, Forscan is open source, so why not apply your skills to improving that...?

Old 22-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #70
lofty
Rusticating

Correction: Forscan is not open source. I was getting confused with ScanTool.net, which came with my adaptor. That's open source, but doesn't seem to read the AU. Still might provide a starting point ...

Old 06-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #71
trenno

subscribed- could someone also link me the correct plug i device im really keen to learn all this atm just a bunch of numbers
trenno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #72
RED666
Formerly TassieTE50

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELM327-V1...item338066c038

That's all you need mate!
RED666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #73
blumx

Hi Guys,

just letting you know that ForScan version 2 beta is ready for download.
http://www.forscan.org/download.html

I have,nt done a test on it yet

cheers
Keith
blumx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #74
RED666
Formerly TassieTE50

Had a quick 5 min play tonight. Seems much more stable (for the quick play I had).

When connecting, it recognizes that its connected to an AU and asks for what spec you have, basically either Low, Mid or High. If I get a chance this week I'll take some screen shots and put up.

Matt
3 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #75
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

I've just upgraded to the new version and had a play. It immediately seems more stable. I still had a few hiccups but for the most part it's very usable now.

I was able to run two of the self-test sequences, with only the key-on, engine-off test refusing to run.
TE2 #116
Old 13-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #76
LuciferDarklord

Yeah I tried the new version the other day. Real time data seems more stable (its able to recover from an error instead of locking up) and there are pids for the other modules now too like bcm and abs.
Old 13-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #77
rvcapri
Starter Motor

Haven't downloaded the latest version as yet, but will do soon. Just thought I'd share my experience with the earlier version on the two AU's I've got:
1. AU II factory dedicated gas wagon. The software seems to work quite well on this vehicle, just drops out occasionally. Can read memory codes, KOER error codes, KOEO self test, KOER self test and live data seems quite stable.
2. AU I XR8: It recognizes the ECU and gives memory codes, but seems to drop out as soon as I turn on the engine.
It's strange how it works well on one car and not the other. Could this possibly be caused by some wiring issues on the XR8 (the car runs fine otherwise)?

Cheers,
Volker
Old 13-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #78
rmack

I think the difference is the AU1 and AU2. I believe there are some differences between the OBD protocols.
7" DVD/GPS Radio
19" Wheels

HIS
FG XR8 Ute
Lux Pack
Tech Pack
Touch Screen GPS
rmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #79
xr650
The Dude

I'm trying on a 99 S1 xr6 using forscan and I'm connected to the vehicle but it says "cant identify the vehicle contact developer". any one had this message?.
xr650 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #80
xr650
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr650 View Post
I'm trying on a 99 S1 xr6 using forscan and I'm connected to the vehicle but it says "cant identify the vehicle contact developer". any one had this message?.
Sorry 98 xr6 if that means any thing
xr650 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #81
RED666
Formerly TassieTE50

I'm not sure but being an early AU maybe they are not compatible?
Has anyone else of this vintage managed to use the software?
Old 22-06-2013, 03:26 AM   #82
blumx

It seems that it should work in the AU1 - the link below may help you

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...+Tool+AU1+1999

cheers
Keith
blumx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #83
mikeeman_ford
EXR-699

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED666 View Post
I'm not sure but being an early AU maybe they are not compatible?
Has anyone else of this vintage managed to use the software?
Hey Mate

I have the USB working with my series one AU Xr 1999

Use the Forscan software, set everything for automatic and it should be sweet

I spent close to 5 hours in 40 degree day sorting this out.

If you get stuck, PM me, i will try and help

Visit my Blog lovemyfalc.blogspot.com
RIP - AU1 1999 XR6 VCT, Forever in my heart.
mikeeman_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #84
output
POWAAHHHH!!!

Hey all u awesome elm scannerz...

Was wondering if best to buy the usb or bluetooth version?

Also is FORScan free? Is it available as android app?

Anyones input appreciated...
output is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #85
output
POWAAHHHH!!!

..just wondering what software this scope or datalog is from...thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
My scanner arrived today.

Had a quick play, given my cold start miss issues interestingly my DTC's are;

Code: P0340
Camshaft Position Sensor (Cylinder Identification) (CMP) <CID> circuit malfunction DTC P0340 is reported if the CMP or its circuit have malfunctioned.

Code: P0350
Ignition coil failure DTC P0350 is reported if there is an failure of an undefined ignition coil or circuit - Reading further into this one ... ELECTRICAL CONDITION - coil signal shorted to ground, Vehicle Power (VPWR) or Signal Return (SIGRTN), coil pack faulty or damaged, faulty or improper coil signal connection, improper signal from Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP)

Given my CMP and Coil packs are new, and the P0350 is coil pack related, but can be caused by CKP issues, and both sensors do have a multi meter reading, more investigation is needed in the wiring I think.

Just need to get a laptop with a working battery so I can go for a drive and log some sensors, pity CMP and CKP aren't supported by ForScan.

Here's a snip of the logging on sensor values

output is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #86
Gaz
Got Ghia?

an older version of forscan...
Old 28-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #87
RED666
Formerly TassieTE50

Quote:
Originally Posted by output View Post
Hey all u awesome elm scannerz...

Was wondering if best to buy the usb or bluetooth version?

Also is FORScan free? Is it available as android app?

Anyones input appreciated...
Hey Mate, Forscan is free, it can be downloaded from here http://forscan.org/

I have both Bluetooth and USB. I personally prefer the USB but that's just me.

At this stage there is no Android/iPhone apps.

Matt
Old 25-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #88
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 

I noticed on the 'LAUNCH' OBDII Tool that works with the AU's, that there is an option for Clearing KAMs.

I was wondering if anyone knew the code for this which i could use manually?

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
FAT245 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #89
Strattos

Awesome thread and info. Just bought an ELM327 and with FORScan works perfectly.

However, is there a database somewhere with what the correct values should be for many of the PIDs?

I'm trying to identify bad o2 sensors, and while I'm getting the readings fine through the live data feed off FORScan, I don't know if the readings are good or bad as I've got nothing to compare them to.

Would be helpful for many of the other areas as well.

Past: 1984 XE Falcon sedan 4.1L.
Strattos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #90
RED666
Formerly TassieTE50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strattos View Post
Awesome thread and info. Just bought an ELM327 and with FORScan works perfectly.

However, is there a database somewhere with what the correct values should be for many of the PIDs?

I'm trying to identify bad o2 sensors, and while I'm getting the readings fine through the live data feed off FORScan, I don't know if the readings are good or bad as I've got nothing to compare them to.

Would be helpful for many of the other areas as well.
That is a very good point, although I'm not sure how easy this data will be to come across....