Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #31
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 
Default Re: Au wheel bearings, easy to replace yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by broms
Thanks a lot for the info.

Could you advise or point to the information about REAR wheel bearing replacement?
The rear axles need to be removed in order to so these.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #32
Bobman
Regulator

Once the axles are out, the only difficult part is sometimes the bearings weld themselves to the axles.

Best bet is to get a chisel or similar or a grinder and cut them away, otherwise it's not too difficult. At least they're cheaper than the fronts!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #33
Tors77AU
NEED MORE CASH *** ***S!

You dont need a press to insert the new bearings? If so, wonder if a 3 jaw puller and a small flat plate of steel would suffice to insert new bearing?

Speedy20x8.5's, GHIA momo wheel, G6ET322mm PBR's on RDA slotted rotors, 2.5 powersound cat back system, venom high flow cat,stainless 4490 extractors. Dual zone ACC colour ICC conversion, LED mods, Lots of other interior mods.
Build Thread

Coming, Custom XR side skirts and rear bar lower lip. turbo ZF 6Speed/tail shaft/M86 LSD conversion. custom CAI, custom leather GTP seats.
Tors77AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #34
BHDOGS
Banned

as far as im aware you just push them into the new axles give them a tap with a big socket to seat them properly and off you go?
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #35
Tors77AU
NEED MORE CASH *** ***S!

sounds easy enough, cant be much harder than the front ones minus the extra bolts...

Speedy20x8.5's, GHIA momo wheel, G6ET322mm PBR's on RDA slotted rotors, 2.5 powersound cat back system, venom high flow cat,stainless 4490 extractors. Dual zone ACC colour ICC conversion, LED mods, Lots of other interior mods.
Build Thread

Coming, Custom XR side skirts and rear bar lower lip. turbo ZF 6Speed/tail shaft/M86 LSD conversion. custom CAI, custom leather GTP seats.
Tors77AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 01:44 AM   #36
ARN612
ARN612

Hey Guys,

My AU XR6 S3 Is giving me issues, I brought it a few months ago and noticed I needed the left rear wheel bearing replaced I also had the castor arm replaced as well. It's been about 3 months and the issue is back. I keep hearing the same noise when I am at about 40k to about 70km. It's ****ing me off big time just hearing that noise and having paid for have it fixed.

I went back to the mechanic that did the repairs JBR Auto, He took it for a run and said I was okay and only to worry when it gets worse. I was pretty ****ed at the response. I went to Ford shortly after to get a valuation done for a trade to a FG XR8 manual. They took it for a run and said they won't touch it till it's fixed. The car I wanted has been sold but I was given a good trade price though.

My question is with the AU XR S3 is this a common issue as it has IRS I have heard many issues with the 1st Series to the 2nd series. Or could it be more? I also have discharged from defence and now am in Vic I was hoping you guys could recommend a good mechanic either on the South or West, as I don't want to take it to the same mechanic.

Any info that you guys could give would be great thanks!!
ARN612 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #37
Sn0wman
Starter Motor

Does anyone know of a guide to do the rear wheel bearings on a BA ute? I can find heaps of sedan ones but haven't been able to find much for AU BA BF utes around..

any special tools required?

Cheers
Sn0wman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2022, 10:56 PM   #38
RedFox
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn0wman View Post
Does anyone know of a guide to do the rear wheel bearings on a BA ute? I can find heaps of sedan ones but haven't been able to find much for AU BA BF utes around..

Cheers
i too would like to know
RedFox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2022, 11:19 AM   #39
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn0wman View Post

Cheers
The critical bit is pressing on the new bearing and especially the retaining collar. I would first remove the axle, and check if the bearing looks and feels rough -maybe you could get away with cleaning it, and flushing and renewing the diff oil - I've done that a few times over the years, had success quietening the bearing and diff down a lot. Depends on if the bearing and race shows wear.
I just did a search for rear axle removal and found heaps on the forum. Utes, wagons and older cars, all have the same solid rear axle setup.
See my post here:
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...ea+axle+remove
here's a photo essay:
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11418260
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: