Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2019, 07:06 PM   #61
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Take That holden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
A lack of homework and flawed way of thinking.

I have a work mate who has an older 2012 ish Hilux who refuses to buy a new one because it has a smaller engine. Obviously he is not alone in this neanderthal thinking.
The old 3.0 Hilux made slightly more power and torque than BMWs 2.0 four cylinder N47 diesel from around the year 2000 which was in the 1 & 3 Series. When that shape Hilux was launch BMWs 3.0 diesel was 160kw/500nm. Mercedes new OM642 3.0 V6 in 2005 was 165kw and 510nm.
Knuckle dragging die hard ute owners in Oz with their head too far up their **** to realise their highly inefficient Jap diesels are well behind the times.
I guess a similar perception was back in the early 1990s when the boat anchor 5.0 were pushing 165kw while Toyota and BMW dohc 4.0 V8s were 210kw.

Even now BMW 3.0 diesel range from 190kw/560nm all the way to 280kw/750nm, Mercedes 2.1 turbo diesel 150kw/500nm yet these mongs would rather stick to their archaic 'large capacity' diesel with performance and efficiency or lack of that belong in the 1990s.

If I were buying new and had the intention to hold onto it for a decade or so I'd be tempted to go smaller capacity as I wouldn't be surprised if the enviro push becomes stronger in the near future and taxes cars relative to their engine size, C02 output or claimed fuel use.

So Ford release a Ranger Raptor which resembles something like an urban stadium supertruck, apparently capable of high speed off-road tracks including getting airborne, but people are buying them to do the school and soccer drop offs, and buy the weekly groceries. Never seeing a speck of dirt on its chunky off road tyres.

And this is totally cool with everyone.

But question why it comes with 2.0 engine with the rubber band wound up to the max... and you’re a Neanderthal??
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-01-2019, 08:16 PM   #62
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While this didn’t help at the time, put an AU next to a VT and Avalon and only one of these cars has aged well.
Adamz Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #63
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
I'd say it got to a point they couldn't turn back. Funny enough if you look at the concept drawings it was actually a good looking car. The problem is from drawing to production parts it can turn into what it was.
Internal politics within large organisations is known for producing design shockers.

cough*****tl magna*****cough

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2019, 08:49 PM   #64
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
While this didn’t help at the time, put an AU next to a VT and Avalon and only one of these cars has aged well.
At least the VT looks in place with the models before and the models after. It kept design flow. Part of the Commodore Family.

The AU Falcon looks like a family with 5 kids, but one of the kids looks like the postman.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:16 PM   #65
xeeclipse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
At least the VT looks in place with the models before and the models after. It kept design flow. Part of the Commodore Family.

The AU Falcon looks like a family with 5 kids, but one of the kids looks like the postman.
Someone forgot to tell HOLDEN and it's loyal fans that FATHER TIME is the

JUGDE, JURY AND EXECUTIONER.
xeeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2019, 10:51 PM   #66
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeeclipse View Post

i drive around without a paper bag over my head??
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2019, 10:57 PM   #67
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Damn Judge Judy
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2019, 11:35 PM   #68
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:

Falcons have done that in the past too though;

XY > XA ; XC > XD ; XF > EA. All abrupt changes in design themes at each of these transitions as well. Why single out EL > AU ?

5 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2019, 12:18 AM   #69
xeeclipse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
i drive around without a paper bag over my head??
Beats having to push the the pig....

-fuel pump
-cracked radiator
-fizzled engine wiring loom???
-water in valley
-oil pressure switch or crank sensor kaputt????
-coil pack has blown up
-engine pulley seizure
-crank pulley has torn through completely??

and the list goes on and on and on................
3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2019, 11:32 AM   #70
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Falcons have done that in the past too though;

XY > XA ; XC > XD ; XF > EA. All abrupt changes in design themes at each of these transitions as well. Why single out EL > AU ?

Yes that’s a good point. I guess I singled out the AU because I’m old enough to only recall the release of the AU, being around 13 at the time and starting to take an interest in cars.

However, I doubt any of the models you mentioned received the same level of shock upon unveiling as the AU did.

I can see how Ford designed the models you mentioned, when people wanted sleek looking cars they got XA. When square and boxy was in, XD, when rounded edges and big plastic bumpers were in, EA. But what were people wanting for the AU?

I recall when the BA was first released and how damn sexy I thought it was too, so I bought one as soon as I could afford one.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:17 PM   #71
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
Was it a Forte they unveiled for the first time? Or an XR or luxury model? (Which are slightly less hideous)
Not sure, might have been more than 1 car all shown at the one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
So Ford release a Ranger Raptor which resembles something like an urban stadium supertruck, apparently capable of high speed off-road tracks including getting airborne, but people are buying them to do the school and soccer drop offs, and buy the weekly groceries. Never seeing a speck of dirt on its chunky off road tyres.

But question why it comes with 2.0 engine with the rubber band wound up to the max... and you’re a Neanderthal??
Let it go dude. Of course the Raptor's are going to do city duties. Do you expect their owners who probably off road a couple of times a year to only ever drive it on dirt? No one is spending 100% ownership time on dirt. That's a silly assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia
Only certain models though. The majority of AU's still look like hot garbage. The only models I would give a pass to are T series, AU II and III XR and Fairmont and Ghia factory optioned with bodykit and 17 inch Tickford wheels.

And Avalon was always an absolute POS.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2019, 06:53 PM   #72
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

I remember the newspaper showing a silver AU forte sedan showing off that grille, those silly wheel caps coming off the assembly line saying something along the lines of should ford be worried ?

I remember thinking yes, yes they should and saying I'd never own 1
Tbh the first time I actually liked a au was the series 2 Ghia I spotted in the dealership when I was looking for a BA fairmont, liked it enough that I brought it and still have it
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2019, 07:36 PM   #73
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Beats having to push the the pig....

-fuel pump
-cracked radiator
-fizzled engine wiring loom???
-water in valley
-oil pressure switch or crank sensor kaputt????
-coil pack has blown up
-engine pulley seizure
-crank pulley has torn through completely??
-busted clockspring
-manky drivers seat bolster
-saggy roof lining
-clearcoat???... lol
-yellow headlights
-alteeza tail lights
-black rims and tyres of various branding and tread wear
-scratch on the back door
-single mum
-NO PAPER BAG!!!

and the list goes on and on and on................
Correct
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2019, 09:04 PM   #74
xeeclipse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
Correct
Better quit while im not too far behind, this friendly fire and split personalities are doing my head in :P.

The drapey roof lining, manky drivers seat (au is also a bit more durable in this department) are things that afflict both cars.

TBH... if you look into the annals of australian motoring production and culture it's surprising at how much was acheived by so few.

Second hand tooling and inferior technology handed down from the U.S.A due to our lowly emission and ADR standards. An industry more renowned for adaption and refining than outright technical innovation.

The humble Ford 6 is probably the closest thing we ever had to calling our own. Whether a crossflow, 3.9, 4.0, intech or barra.......combustion icon.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2019, 10:17 PM   #75
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Not sure, might have been more than 1 car all shown at the one time.

Let it go dude. Of course the Raptor's are going to do city duties. Do you expect their owners who probably off road a couple of times a year to only ever drive it on dirt? No one is spending 100% ownership time on dirt. That's a silly assumption.

Only certain models though. The majority of AU's still look like hot garbage. The only models I would give a pass to are T series, AU II and III XR and Fairmont and Ghia factory optioned with bodykit and 17 inch Tickford wheels.

And Avalon was always an absolute POS.
I’m in the vast minority, which I’m fine with. I love the AU. The series 1 Forte is the weakest link style wise, but even that one, there’s one near my place, almost as clean as the day it was bought, an elderly bloke has owned it since new and while I wish he’d get some new wheels for it, the rest of the car to me looks great.
Adamz Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2019, 02:29 AM   #76
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

No, I do think the Ranger Raptor should have come with something more substantial than a 2.0, like a petrol ecoboost or even a V8 (admittedly, I haven't driven one, but if its anything similar to the 3.2, and it reads like it is, then meh, underwhelming as far as something that resembles performance).

I'm thinking of the blokes who snub their noses at the smaller engines. Old Hilux 3.0 v say a new 2.8 Hilux or a 2.0 VW for the simple fact that the Hilux has more capacity. Ignoring it is highly inefficient, despite having the complexities of 21st century common rail diesel/VGT.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2019, 06:31 AM   #77
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I guess you don’t see a watershed moment until something
different is offered to folks who would never normally consider
going against the grain. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post