Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #1
tickfordboy
Starter Motor

Default Take That holden!

https://www.caradvice.com.au/714647/...e-in-21-years/

Sorry, got a little excited
tickfordboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
Sprint XR8

Default Re: Take That holden!

Dowling must be a bit slow if he thinks this result is an upset.
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Do you think some new guy over at Toyotaforums.com will be starting a thread about Toyota selling 4 of their bland white goods to every 1 of ours..

I notice private buyers are buying more ZB's than the last batch of VF's, kinda puts pay to the belief that ZB sales are all fleet rentals.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I just saw Hilux was over 50,000 for the year..that's impressive
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I notice private buyers are buying more ZB's than the last batch of VF's, kinda puts pay to the belief that ZB sales are all fleet rentals.
I had to read these two sentences a couple of times:
Quote:
However, there is a silver lining for the Commodore: the imported model accounted for about 75 per cent of sales of the nameplate in 2018, according to confidential industry figures.

And in a shock for some industry observers, more private buyers purchased an imported Commodore than one of the last locally-made models in 2018, albeit by a slim margin.
The two facts you can draw from those sentences is
- 2018 sales mix was 25% VFII (first three months?) and 75% ZB for rest of the year.
- Retail- fleet sales mix was slightly better for ZB compared to VFII

Yeah I'd take that with a grain of salt, by January most of the V8s were gone..
4 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I don’t know why they keep talking up the whole ford vs holden thing. Former foa president graeme whickman said to a few of us that we don’t even see them as a competitor anymore, and don’t even use any of their vehicles as any form of benchmark cause they are nowhere near class leading in any valuable segment. It’s toyota, mazda, hyundai etc now.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #7
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Stupid journalism.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2019, 06:05 PM   #8
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Any irrelevant victory over what has become an irrelevant brand.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2019, 08:20 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mind you, I'm still hoping that Holden has worked down it's mountain of unsold vehicles
and can now start 2018 with a cleaner slate. 2018 was a steep learning curve for Holden
but now the worst is probably behind them...fingers crossed.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:34 PM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I don’t know why they keep talking up the whole ford vs holden thing. Former foa president graeme whickman said to a few of us that we don’t even see them as a competitor anymore, and don’t even use any of their vehicles as any form of benchmark cause they are nowhere near class leading in any valuable segment. It’s toyota, mazda, hyundai etc now.
And thats what i've been saying for 2 years now, the battle is no longer between Ford and Holden, its between Toyota and all the rest.

Claiming a moral victory over a struggling former rival who's just closed the doors on their biggest drawcard isnt that special that its worth making a point of, especially when were talking less than half a thousand units per month.

The biggest challenges as i see it is maintaining ladder position ahead of the other bit players who are making significant advances in product desirability and customer satisfaction by way of market leading warranty and professional after sales service.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:59 PM   #11
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

"The last vehicle to top the 50,000 mark was the Holden Commodore in 2008, with 51,093 sales."

Thats a drastic change. And it still rankles that we won't be building any of those big selling suvs and 4wds here.

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #12
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new 2.8 Litre Hilux's have major DPF/Oil burning issues.

My dads mate has one and its burning oil at only 20,000k's old (He's a mechanic so he's totally ****ed off!!!!) and a few of us have seen them blowing heeeaps of white smoke from the exhaust in the last 6 months.!!!!!!

Apparently theres going to be a MAJOR case against Toyota because of the huuuge problem.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2019, 09:32 PM   #13
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFBarraWGN View Post
The new 2.8 Litre Hilux's have major DPF/Oil burning issues.

Apparently theres going to be a MAJOR case against Toyota because of the huuuge problem.
Serious!!
Old 02-01-2019, 09:34 PM   #14
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a reason to celebrate, Holden is flat on its face at the moment, and ford is Steven Bradbury. Yay, we won!

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 02-01-2019, 10:37 PM   #15
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm surprised it's taken this long. Does Holden sell anything decent these days? Thinking of their models they are all middle of the segment at the absolute best. New Commodore seems decent, but do they sell enough of the dying segment.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2019, 10:46 PM   #16
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Took me bloody ages to see a new Commodore in the metal ..Ended up being a station wagon in the work car park about 6 weeks ago . Yesterday I saw three in the space of one day .. One in particular (white) looked pretty nice . Saw they put out 235 kw , not especially torquey but not terrible ..

Will never sell too many but certainly an okay car apparently ..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2019, 01:22 AM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ranger most likely did around 40,000 sales last year, it's been a long time since Ford had a vehicle sell like that.

What 2018 showed us was how desperate Holden was to maximize sales with seriously aggressive discounting,
they made a big mess over ordering but under Butner, that mess is nearly gone / cleared away..
While Ford just basically mailed it in by relying on Ranger, Mustang, Everest and Escape for ~90% of sales,
for most of the year, there was no urgency to do deals and no aggressive discounting..

Last edited by jpd80; 03-01-2019 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:53 AM   #18
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
for most of the year, there was no urgency to do deals and no aggressive discounting..
True, but when they did it was to the tune of 12k, 8k off the RRP of XLT at $53k down from $61k and then 2.6k in servicing and the 1.5k gift card.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:24 AM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
True, but when they did it was to the tune of 12k, 8k off the RRP of XLT at $53k down from $61k and then 2.6k in servicing and the 1.5k gift card.
That discount price and servicing was on superseded PXII models that were pretty much gone going into December.

Most of December's sales would have been the non-discounted PXIIIs with 5 year free service and gift card.

The comparable Hilux SR5 was also priced at $52,990 DA most likely, last of 2018 plates..

Bent 8,
Just saw that the MY19 Ranger with a 2018 plate is now discounted at $52,990 DA
but again, this will only be a handful to salt buyers just like Toyota is doing the 2018 plate SR5s..

Last edited by jpd80; 03-01-2019 at 02:39 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:54 AM   #20
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Bent 8,
Just saw that the MY19 Ranger with a 2018 plate is now discounted at $52,990 DA
but again, this will only be a handful to salt buyers just like Toyota is doing the 2018 plate SR5s..
I was gonna say, i double checked that and even then felt a little anxious posting it as i know you're fairly well up to speed on this stuff..lol

One things for sure, if you were in the market for a new Ranger, theres never been a better time.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:42 AM   #21
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not bagging Holden at all ...no point in that but if 40,000 Rangers sold and about 10,000 Mustangs or thereabouts , obviously a few of the other offerings , it's probably not the worst of times for the Blue Oval in a cluttered market .

What's the sales of Mondeo , Focus and Fiesta been like ?.. Not too many I suppose . The Mondeo is growing on me and if I was in the market these days might be considered .

Here's something from a bit back on these sort of cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgQ7GQbn0e8.. and a similar look at the station wagon market by the same bloke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH9XZel-wg8 ..

I don't think any of these sell in numbers the manufacturers are thrilled with more's the pity .

Last edited by roddy1960; 03-01-2019 at 09:01 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2019, 11:34 AM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was gonna say, i double checked that and even then felt a little anxious posting it as i know you're fairly well up to speed on this stuff..lol

One things for sure, if you were in the market for a new Ranger, theres never been a better time.
Yep, $8,000 off a brand new Ranger for waiting a few weeks, gotta love 2018 plate sales in January.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Not bagging Holden at all ...no point in that but if 40,000 Rangers sold and about 10,000 Mustangs or thereabouts , obviously a few of the other offerings , it's probably not the worst of times for the Blue Oval in a cluttered market .
Yes but what confounds so many of us is how does Ford do Ranger so well and then stuff up everything else?
New, better proportioned Focus, Focus Active and Endura should give Ford some fresh legs.

Quote:
What's the sales of Mondeo , Focus and Fiesta been like ?.. Not too many I suppose . The Mondeo is growing on me and if I was in the market these days might be considered .
But that's the point Roddy, many people who may have considered Mondeo have moved on.
The new, better proportioned Focus is here and hopefully will find an interested audience
but the big one needed this year is a new Escape as the current one is way past use by date.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:11 PM   #24
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Yes but what confounds so many of us is how does Ford do Ranger so well and then stuff up everything else?
Ranger lead design team is the Aussies

(they're not immune to stuff ups either, e.g. Raptor Ranger being Diesel only WTF!)

3 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2019, 03:15 PM   #25
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I saw one of the police ZBs responding to a call a few weeks ago. The driver pulled a quick u-turn and planted it - no visible wheelspin at all and fairly impressive acceleration.

Seemed pretty quick.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2019, 04:42 PM   #26
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
New, better proportioned Focus, Focus Active and Endura should give Ford some fresh legs.
Ranger sells because its 3.2l engine was the biggest in its class, my neighbour said he sells quite a few Dmax's to former Hilux buyers simply because they're not happy to take the smaller 2.8l, he believes this is why Ford is struggling to move the new Ranger as many customers believe the Ranger is now only available in 2.0l form, he said he doesnt argue, just signs them up.
He told me to keep n eye on Dmax sales over the next few months.
And before anyone calls BS, i've known this for a couple of months now and not mentioned it due to expecting that exact response, but they're his words and not mine.
For the record, his group also sell Ford.
May very well explain why the new model is struggling to the point of $8k discounts.

I doubt Focus will make any ground at all, the damage is done and too many people have been burnt.
I was discussing it with the Dealership salesman we bought my Wifes 2014 Trend manual off yesterday, he said straight out that he wont even stock an LZ auto as no matter how he tries to explain that they've gone back to the basic auto the damage is done, he now only stocks manuals and even then its hard to move them as people just wont look at them.
He said the only reason he even stocks them is because he pays so little due to the poor rep Focus and Ford have due to their handling of the situation, he can ask much less than the equivalent Lancer or i30 etc. and still make a profit.
The car we bought had already been discounted by 1k on new years eve when we first looked at it and he knocked another 1k off it without even haggling yesterday.
A 4yr old, 1 owner, well equipped car with 66k for under 10k driveaway with full RAA report from a Dealership.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2019, 05:43 PM   #27
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ranger sells because its 3.2l engine was the biggest in its class, my neighbour said he sells quite a few Dmax's to former Hilux buyers simply because they're not happy to take the smaller 2.8l, he believes this is why Ford is struggling to move the new Ranger as many customers believe the Ranger is now only available in 2.0l form, he said he doesnt argue, just signs them up.
He told me to keep n eye on Dmax sales over the next few months.
And before anyone calls BS, i've known this for a couple of months now and not mentioned it due to expecting that exact response, but they're his words and not mine.
For the record, his group also sell Ford.
May very well explain why the new model is struggling to the point of $8k discounts.
The theory about buyer being capacity centric holds a lot o water as per the backlash with RR
It's interesting that Ford is discounting the 3.2 XLT Auto under 2018 plate sale yet no mention of 2.0 Ecoblue
If there was an issue with the new 2.0 Ecoblue, you'd think that would be the ones piling up unsold..

All the same, appreciate the intel on this, are your contacts saying this is Aust wide or local to Sth Aust?

Quote:
I doubt Focus will make any ground at all, the damage is done and too many people have been burnt.
I was discussing it with the Dealership salesman we bought my Wifes 2014 Trend manual off yesterday, he said straight out that he wont even stock an LZ auto as no matter how he tries to explain that they've gone back to the basic auto the damage is done, he now only stocks manuals and even then its hard to move them as people just wont look at them.
He said the only reason he even stocks them is because he pays so little due to the poor rep Focus and Ford have due to their handling of the situation, he can ask much less than the equivalent Lancer or i30 etc. and still make a profit.
The car we bought had already been discounted by 1k on new years eve when we first looked at it and he knocked another 1k off it without even haggling yesterday.
A 4yr old, 1 owner, well equipped car with 66k for under 10k driveaway with full RAA report from a Dealership.
Ford has an uphill job to sell Focus, sales were going away with LZ even before Powershyte became really public.
Focus was just plain old by then and not as roomy as the competition, EB and new 6AT helped but when the
scandal broke, that was the last straw for many..and so many also wrongly though Escape was also affected.

I think the new Focus is different enough to draw new buyer willing to give it a go but even then,
I think this may be a long hard road....
Old 03-01-2019, 06:08 PM   #28
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
The theory about buyer being capacity centric holds a lot o water as per the backlash with RR
It's interesting that Ford is discounting the 3.2 XLT Auto under 2018 plate sale yet no mention of 2.0 Ecoblue
If there was an issue with the new 2.0 Ecoblue, you'd think that would be the ones piling up unsold..

All the same, appreciate the intel on this, are your contacts saying this is Aust wide or local to Sth Aust?
Perhaps the discounting is to get the message out that the 3.2l is still available, it might not be a case of 2.0l's piling up but Ford not wanting to push that wagon at the expense of the bread and butter seller in the 3.2l.

Couldn't tell you how far the info is coming in from, although the network he works for is quite big and covers many brands.

Quote:
Ford has an uphill job to sell Focus, sales were going away with LZ even before Powershyte became really public.
Focus was just plain old by then and not as roomy as the competition, EB and new 6AT helped but when the
scandal broke, that was the last straw for many..and so many also wrongly though Escape was also affected.

I think the new Focus is different enough to draw new buyer willing to give it a go but even then,
I think this may be a long hard road....
I know from my own experience the reason we didnt pay the extra and get the LZ was simply due to the decrease in engine size despite the increase in power output.
Modern tech may provide that a highly strung 1.5l can deliver equal or better reliability than the tried and proven 2.0l but the slight fuel savings and slight increase in power is not worth the gamble from my perspective, not when the 2.0l in the LW2 is more than adequate when combined with the easy to use manual box.
When you look at the market leaders, Corolla, Mazda 3 and even Cerato who've maintained their larger capacity engines, it suggests customers dont mind the compromise for familiarity.
Perhaps im old fashioned, but i think this fad with small capacity turbo charged engines wont go the distance long term.

This sentiment translates to the uproar surrounding the 2.0l RR so there may very well be something in what i've been told, people relate smaller capacity to harder working and therefore reliability concerns.
As people in the know it probably sounds rediculous, but many buyers dont dig that deep even with all the answers at their fingertips.

Its funny because 15yrs ago i had a discussion with an engineer who said the next big thing in locally offered cars would be following in the footsteps of the Japanese domestic market in offering smaller capacity turbo charged offerings at a time when Japanese car makers were heading away from them.

Last edited by BENT_8; 03-01-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:21 PM   #29
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I think the uproar over the Raptor was that most people were expecting a performance engine not one out of a van.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2019, 06:23 PM   #30
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickfordboy View Post
Don't forget Ford HQ has made the decision to pull the plug on a lot of its car models, and time will tell if a myriad of small SUV models will be enough to compensate. Ford may find this little victory harder to come by in years to come in Aus.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post