Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:29 PM   #181
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I am 'Anti' because I have a brain and I am able to see that the whole thing is a scam made to benefit supermarkets and line their pockets even further and inconvenience us the customer all the while taking more $$ out of our pocket, with absolutely no benefit to the environment.

It's blatantly obvious and even a complete imbecile should be able to work out that on an Australia wide basis Supermarkets will easily make 20-30 million a week out of this. If they only manage to get a single dollar from every person in Australia they will have made 20 million plus, and I know they already got way more than a dollar per person out of our four person family since this scam started.

I would have respected the idea of being environmentally friendly if they did not simply replace 'free' plastic bags with 'pay for' plastic bags that are worse for the environment.

It has nothing to do with resisting change and more with not wanting to be scammed or taken to be a fool.
And if you want proof of this, look at every shelf in every isle of Coles or Woolies to see that nearly everything you can buy there is in plastic packaging, wrapping, bags or bottles. So why haven't they banned these products also.

The faux grandstanding on enviro issues of these bludging parasitic out of touch politicians and influential well off white do goober urbanites got old long ago. These are the same hypocritical pricks who **** into clean drinking water, have new vehicles parked in the driveway (consumerism) and are the first to jump on an international flight for the smallest of excuses.
You cannot live a normal life in a first world country and claim to be an environmentalist. Our own existence is detrimental to the environment.

With the exception of fuel I like to keep wastage to a minimum, regardless of what it is. The advantage of the Wollies bags is they are bigger and stronger than the normal grey bags. Go thru the self serve and don't end up paying for them, easy.

Last edited by smoo; 08-07-2018 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:53 AM   #182
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
For mine, the overuse of plastic packaging is far worse than the single use bags which get a second use in wrapping the rubbish for the bin.
Why does half the fruit and vegies have to be packed in a plastic base and then wrapped with cling wrap?
There's so much single serve stuff packed then repacked into another container holding 10 or a dozen of them.
Do they think people can't measure out of a tin or a box if they want a single serve?
This 'value adding' is killing everything.
Don't shoot the messenger but things are being packed like this because everyone puts everything through as brown onions, can't do that if it's packaged and has a barcode on it.
4 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #183
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
Don't shoot the messenger but things are being packed like this because everyone puts everything through as brown onions, can't do that if it's packaged and has a barcode on it.
Why pick on brown onions mate?

Surely they must do the same with white onions?

Your comment is racist and offensive and you should apologise/be sacked/hungdrawnandquartered/whipped/castrated unless of course you are a disabled/ethnic/Buddhist/short/ugly/feminist.

My guess is you are a straight/privileged/white/heterosexual/misogynistic/homophobic/racist/cisgenda/manbaby

4 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #184
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post

Hello,
Got to agree with that!

Cheers Willie
This user likes this post:
Old 09-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #185
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
I think banning all plastics would be great.

Look, I get the scepticism around this. But, from my perspective, this is just the first step in a very looooong process to be able to reduce our reliance on a substance that never disappears, and at the end of the day, once it is used, it is disposed of. There has to be a point where we stop and have a look to see what impact our decisions as a race is having on our environment. The environment that currently sustains this race's life. Is it worth upsetting the imbalance over? Or can we take some steps to limit our impact now whilst we haven't upset that balance?
Replace plastic with glass

Would you ban glass?

Glass takes 1-2 million years to break down.
We don't make it in the volume of plastic but otoh we have been making it for 5,000 years.
Do you think glass creates an imbalance similar to plastic?

If not, why not?

Not saying glass and plastic are exactly the same but on your argument above they are similar.

My point being that no one complains about glass. No environmentalists run round asking for a glass ban.

If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

The real question is why are we banning single use plastic bags? Because they are disposable and we don't like that, or is it the litter issue, the potential impact on wildlife, the resource consumption, all of the above, or something else?

No one considers that consumers may replace bags with even worse environmentally friendly solutions it is just assumed that the change will be beneficial.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #186
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Coke tastes better out of glass.

I won't even mention beer...bloody sacrilege!

Every man had a bottle opener.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
6 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2018, 05:46 PM   #187
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quite a few year ago we lived without a car due to living aboard a yacht, we would row ashore with our bikes in the dinghy, ride up to the supermarket, buy a weeks shopping, we left every bit of unnecessary packaging at the checkout for them to dispose of and pack our groceries into our backpacks and ride back to the dinghy.

To us it was just a normal shopping experience and didn't think it was to hard to do....... so my point is why is it so hard for consumers to leave some shopping bags or boxes in the boot of their car and just put what they buy back in the shopping trolley, wheel it out to the carpark and transfer everything into your own bags/boxes.

Anyone who has sailed offshore and seen the plastic islands floating out there where this stuff ends up will appreciate why they are stopping single use bags.
N.B glass on the other hand sinks to the bottom and provide houses for fish, crustaceans and is handy for shipwrecked message sending.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #188
96paddywagon
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
Replace plastic with glass

Would you ban glass?

Glass takes 1-2 million years to break down.

We don't make it in the volume of plastic but otoh we have been making it for 5,000 years.

Do you think glass creates an imbalance similar to plastic?

If not, why not?

Not saying glass and plastic are exactly the same but on your argument above they are similar.

My point being that no one complains about glass. No environmentalists run round asking for a glass ban.

If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

The real question is why are we banning single use plastic bags? Because they are disposable and we don't like that, or is it the litter issue, the potential impact on wildlife, the resource consumption, all of the above, or something else?

No one considers that consumers may replace bags with even worse environmentally friendly solutions it is just assumed that the change will be beneficial.

Ground glass is sand , plastic decomposed is still plastic, I object to the food served in take away plastic containers then eaten at the premises- no washing up , we throw it all away without a thought but it doesn’t go away & heck I hope it doesn’t get burnt . We rely on it far too much , why do we need plastic containers for everything? We must be paying for all that packaging we don’t want .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #189
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I took the old bag shopping , then we had to get some NEW bags....

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
4 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2018, 08:12 PM   #190
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
So like me then you support a total ban on all plastic and consider the ban on single use plastic bags as a pisstake?
Late reply but yes I think we should reduce plastic use as far as practical.

But it is a start mate. I did my shopping today and no one was complaining about it.

Everyone looks at me weird when I don't rap my veg in bags at the shop. I just chuck a tomato or onion this or that naked in the trolley
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #191
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi guys, here's a interesting take on the now no more free shopping bags -

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2018/0...hopper-mutiny/

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 17-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #192
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone looks at me weird when I don't wrap my veg in bags at the shop. I just chuck a tomato or onion this or that naked in the trolley [/QUOTE]

I,ve been doing that for years,why would anyone want to use a seperate bag for every piece of fruit and veg. put everything loose in the basket or trolley,then when it is weighed at the register, put the whole lot in the shopping bag together,don,t worry they won,t fight each other.
Old 17-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #193
Brodes
Brodes

Why are most people still whinging about this? We've been doing this in SA for umpteen years now without an issue. It's not that hard and if you think it's a conspiracy then revolt and use cloth bags.

Idiots
Old 17-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #194
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodes View Post
Why are most people still whinging about this? We've been doing this in SA for umpteen years now without an issue. It's not that hard and if you think it's a conspiracy then revolt and use cloth bags.

Idiots
Name calling is a way to win an argument.

If you agree with the ban of single use plastic bags then why not say why you believe the such a ban is a good thing.

Who knows you may sway my opinion.

Although I note that there are still single use plastic bags available in fruit and veg.

Do you boycott these?
Old 17-07-2018, 07:30 PM   #195
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Everyone looks at me weird when I don't wrap my veg in bags at the shop. I just chuck a tomato or onion this or that naked in the trolley
I,ve been doing that for years,why would anyone want to use a seperate bag for every piece of fruit and veg. put everything loose in the basket or trolley,then when it is weighed at the register, put the whole lot in the shopping bag together,don,t worry they won,t fight each other.[/QUOTE]

Are you aware of the risks of e.coli?

I try to get others to make up their own minds about topics on which they comment, but I'll give you a heads up about contaminated fruit and vegs ...

http://theconversation.com/everythin...d-e-coli-90230
Old 17-07-2018, 07:31 PM   #196
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
Would you like to post up some evidence to support that claim?

Here's my (very quick search) evidence to support the contrary position.

As I said, "In Australia the only way your plastic bag kills a dolphin, is if you carry it to the beach and throw it in. "
Nothing you have said, not your link, contradicts my statement in any way.

Unlike many third-world nations, we don't dump our garbage into open drains, rivers, or the ocean. Even garbage flushed down the dunny cannot reach the ocean.
The only way our garbage reached the ocean is if we choose to litter. That is a statement of FACT.

Notwithstanding its irrelevance, your linked article is still pile of straw-man twaddle. Saying that Australians are responsible for Australian litter is hardly earth-shattering.
But nobody is pointing to Australia as an example of the problem. Everybody refers to the acres of plastic in our major oceans, so an analysis of where THAT comes from, would be the only point of relevance.

I spend a lot of time on the water.
I could be wrong, but its my personal observations that most breweries have moved to cardboard packaging (at least for glass?) Certainly the plastic packing, and 6-pack yokes (previously?) used for cans, was an extremely dangerous form of litter. One of the remaining problems is the brightly coloured plastic lids from soft-drink bottles. Very attractive, and often fatal, to sea-life.

But the fact remains, that this is a litter problem. It doesn't matter what my waste is composed of, at the end of the day it comes ashore and goes in the bin. Trying to stop bogan-trash from littering by controlling the use of shopping bags is a thoroughly pointless exercise.
The irony is, that if you let them keep their plastic bag, they might just use it to store their rubbish, and put it in the bin at the end of the day.

Last edited by PG2; 19-07-2018 at 04:27 PM. Reason: You are still not getting it. Next time you have a go at someone warnings will be issued.
5 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #197
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

No one has mentioned the life changing threat to men's masculinity.

They must now go shopping carrying a bag, just like a sheila.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2018, 07:46 PM   #198
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:

What about if you carry a large box in to the supermarket Cav...

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 17-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #199
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was going to suggest that they should make those bags out of Hemp....

If that was the case in my area half the people would be trying to mull them up down the aisles.

I'm used to using the green bags at Aldi or occasionally I buy one type of item in bulk and just carry it. Gotta say I prefer using 1 or 2 green bags as opposed to 4-6 plastic bags.

I put most of the fruit together in a bowl so it won't hurt if they spend 30 minutes rolling around in the same bag together.
Old 17-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #200
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Are you aware of the risks of e.coli?

I try to get others to make up their own minds about topics on which they comment, but I'll give you a heads up about contaminated fruit and vegs ...

http://theconversation.com/everythin...d-e-coli-90230
I think you are now using some feeble attempt to try to justify why you have to use separate little bags for every variety of fruit or veg you buy.Most vegs are both peeled and cooked and most people wash the fruit before eating,but anyway each to their own
Old 17-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #201
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodes View Post

Idiots
ma nagga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav

If you agree with the ban of single use plastic bags then why not say why you believe the such a ban is a good thing.

Although I note that there are still single use plastic bags available in fruit and veg.

Do you boycott these?
i re use ma fruit n veg bags as a double wrap when defrosting dumb doog food in my fridge you poof

stops bleeding defrosting bags in ma fridge

ya poof

double bagged
Old 17-07-2018, 09:32 PM   #202
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I have just been in Asia for 5 weeks, they hand out thick strong plastic bags like lollies.
What we do here in one year, they will undo in a few weeks.
We always recycled our plastic shopping bags into rubbish bags, now we will have to buy our rubbish bags.
For our household nothing has changed, only the supermarkets are saving millions and I pay for my rubbish bags either at the checkout or pick them up the aisle.
We all use rubbish bags..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
6 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2018, 10:43 PM   #203
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:

Do you boycott these?
Hello,
No,I don't,I been to Auto One and Supercheap and my multiple small items were put in a "plastic bag"!
Am looking at the bags now,nice and thick too,it does not say "biodegradable on either"
Mmmmm....

Cheers Billy.
Old 17-07-2018, 11:06 PM   #204
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:

... Unless they carry one like this.

Old 19-07-2018, 04:02 PM   #205
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I'm an engineer and anyone who has worked with an engineer knows we weren't employed because we did well in English classes at school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
As I said, "In Australia the only way your plastic bag kills a dolphin, is if you carry it to the beach and throw it in. "
Nothing you have said, not your link, contradicts my statement in any way.
Ok, perhaps my link didn't directly address the issue you raised, but given the quantities of product that was found in that article ("She says the density of plastic in Australian waters ranges from a few thousand pieces of plastic per square kilometre to more than 40,000 pieces.") I find it hard to believe that the only way, as postulated by you, that this plastic would have found its way into our oceans is by "carry(ing) it to the beach and throw(ing) it in."

I at least attempted to provide you with some evidence that contradicted your presumption. You, however, have made no effort to provide anything other than your own thoughts to be able to back up your presumption. If you can provide some independent (to you) evidence then I'll start taking you seriously.

Quote:
Unlike many third-world nations, we don't dump our garbage into open drains, rivers, or the ocean. Even garbage flushed down the dunny cannot reach the ocean.
The only way our garbage reached the ocean is if we choose to litter. That is a statement of FACT.
Whilst, in theory, we should not be dumping our garbage into rivers and drains, do you have any evidence that supports this position. just because we shouldn't doesn't mean it doesn't happen. If it is indeed, FACT, as you say then it should be very easy for you to provide evidence that supports this position, right? Feel feel to provide for the edification of all here.

Quote:
Notwithstanding its irrelevance, your linked article is still pile of straw-man twaddle. Saying that Australians are responsible for Australian litter is hardly earth-shattering.
But nobody is pointing to Australia as an example of the problem. Everybody refers to the acres of plastic in our major oceans, so an analysis of where THAT comes from, would be the only point of relevance.
I like the way people argue against a position that doesn't match their idealised position by dismissing it using emotive terms and not actually addressing the points raised. I never stated it was "earth shattering". You are the one who brought that into the discussion.

Clearly, the article I linked supports the view that we, as a nation, are contributing to the amount of waste in our oceans, irrespective of whether it forms part of that large island or not and irrespective of the source. To focus on that part alone is simply picking that part that supports your argument, whilst ignoring the rest of the pollution problem. My concern is not just with the amount of plastic (and other waste) that ends up in the oceans, it is also about the amount of plastic and waste that ends up in our environment; whether that be ocean, forest or in our earth. I'm interested in reducing my impacts on the whole environment form something that will never biodegrade.

Quote:
I spend a lot of time on the water.
I could be wrong, but its my personal observations that most breweries have moved to cardboard packaging (at least for glass?) Certainly the plastic packing, and 6-pack yokes (previously?) used for cans, was an extremely dangerous form of litter. One of the remaining problems is the brightly coloured plastic lids from soft-drink bottles. Very attractive, and often fatal, to sea-life.
Hard to believe it, but I actually agree with you on this point

In my view, any steps that we can practically take to reduce the amount of plastic that ends up being disposed of in our environment is a good thing.

Quote:
But the fact remains, that this is a litter problem. It doesn't matter what my waste is composed of, at the end of the day it comes ashore and goes in the bin. Trying to stop bogan-trash from littering by controlling the use of shopping bags is a thoroughly pointless exercise.
The irony is, that if you let them keep their plastic bag, they might just use it to store their rubbish, and put it in the bin at the end of the day.
As per above points, I don't agree. I see the plastic bag issue as being a much bigger issue than just littering. I see the banning of single-use plastic bags as being the first step in a long process to reduce our reliance (over use?) on plastic.And just because a person does not have a plastic shopping bag does not mean they can't, or shouldn't, do the right thing and dispose of it appropriately.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor

Last edited by PG2; 19-07-2018 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Has been addressed
3 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #206
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By the way, if you don't buy any bags and bring your own you get 30 FlyBuys points. Not sure if everywhere does this but it's a nice small incentive.
Old 19-07-2018, 04:24 PM   #207
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Ladies and Gentlemen

I understand this is a hot topic and will be argued accordingly.

As I have now posted in a number of pub and bar threads I won't stand for people having a go at others. I'm really, really starting to lose patience with this sort of behaviour from certain people and I am sure you know who you are.

If those people don't start curbing their posting style I am just going to start handing out warnings which could result in bans. I didn't want it to come to this but some of you have left me no choice.

This is the final warning.
Old 22-07-2018, 03:44 AM   #208
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am sick of govmints treating us like idiots and banning stuff that has no effect except to give them the high moral ground.

It is all about gesture politics that means nothing, achieves nothing and I have yet to meet someone who agrees that we should keep using single use plastic bags.

The reason I suspect is that people no longer think about what is happening. Add in a media that also has an agenda and we never have a proper debate on anything anymore where we exchange facts and logic to arrive at some point where all concerns are out in the open.

Are there any disadvantages in banning single use plastic bags?

Well how about this one ...

People will die.

Mention that to people and they just shrug.

That's right, they shrug.

Does this not mean that people care more about the environment and animals that they do about their fellow human beings.

A 2012 University of Pennsylvania study found San Francisco’s 2007 plastic bag ban killed people because reusable bags increased shoppers’ exposure to harmful bacteria that can infest them. “The San Francisco ban led to, conservatively, 5.4 annual additional deaths,” the authors concluded.

Don't believe me?

Here is the study
http://www.austincontrarian.com/file...-id2196481.pdf
Media Watch covered this recently.
That study wasn't peer reviewed and made unproven links to a spike in infections in one area.

My take is that this ban is a start and that's a good thing.
Yes I think once this change has been in place a while it'll lead to further legislation that'll result in less plastic packaging.
My family has been shopping with multiuse bags or boxes for probably 10 plus years now and it isn't that hard to do.
Shops like Aldi encourage this and it works.
Imho fear of change and a few shockjocks like Jones, Bolt and co are driving what I believe is the illogical resistance to this.

Anything that can reduce or limit the amount of microplastic in the environment has my support.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2018, 04:25 AM   #209
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO the plastic bag ban is more to get the ball rolling and people talking about reduce plastic use. In that sense it’s pretty effective. We now have plastic packaging that has new labelling so that people know if they can recycle it or not. The bigger problem is people don’t know what they can recycle and end up contaminating recycling bins, then all of it gets dumped into landfill and none of it gets recycled.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #210
roKWiz
Cabover nut

On a similar vein.
I heard the govmit want to introduce a tax on building products to fund asbestos removal.
I would like to see a tax on take away coffee cups if we are going down this route.

Closed Thread