Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
Canyonero
Wow, this is roomy!

Default EcoBoost head gasket failure

I posted this in the Kuga/Escape forum a couple of weeks ago. I had an MC Mondeo Zetec EcoBoost petrol for five years and never had any concerns with the engine. I would be interested in any comments.

I have a Escape Trend 2.0L EcoBoost, purchased in April 2017. It has covered 24,000km.

It was running rough so I took it to the dealer who diagnosed a faulty spark plug and it seemed to be OK. The next day the problem appeared again and I was told to bring it back the following day. The next morning it wouldn't even turn over and I had to have it towed to the dealer.
The diagnosis was water in the #2 cylinder, which caused a hydraulic lock and blew the starter motor fuse. (I'm grateful the engine didn't sacrifice itself to save the cost of a 50c fuse)

The head was removed and stripped and pressure tested and no faults such as cracks or porosity were found. It was determined that the head gasket had failed. I informed the dealer that I had to go interstate for a couple of weeks, which gave them plenty of time to test and fix it properly.

The engine seems to be running better than ever. But I must admit that this is a nagging concern to me, as I have never had a head gasket failure in all the cars I have driven in over 45 years. My Territory has done 220,000km and is going as strong as ever.

Has anyone heard of this happening to any other EcoBoost engines or is this just a unlucky one-off incident?

MINE: Escape ZG Trend 2.0L EcoBoost AWD, Magnetic with Technology Pack, Power Tailgate and Keyless Entry

SWMBO: "The Canyonero" Territory SY TS AWD, 7 seats, Mercury Silver (Now gone to a new home, Feb 2024)
Canyonero is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post