Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #61
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New car for under $18k driveaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Thanks for that ..Since my query I read that in 2019 we'll only get the ST , nothing else and they'll come in at around $28,000 if the info is accurate ..I wonder if they'll sell a few .

Looking forward to your impressions on your new little beast in the next few days or so . Somehow I don't think you'll be disappointed .

Something to look forward to ..
Yes Ford look to be marketing themselves at the premium end of the small car market. and opting out of the low end hence you wont find any more.

Fiesta ST looks like a great car see how they go.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #62
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
Hold on.... you paid 18k for this????!!

Im flabbergasted theres even a market for these. Who are they marketed to? I showed my wife & daughter and they both cracked up laughing.

lovely post.., i'm curious what would you suggest for under $18k
5 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #63
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I showed my wife & daughter and they both cracked up laughing.
Dont worry mate, you can get pills for that now, although im not sure why your daughter would want to see it...

Did you happen to show them my new car too..
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2018, 11:42 AM   #64
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I'm flabbergasted theres even a market for these. Who are they marketed to?
You really need to get out more
Old 31-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #65
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just spotted BENT_8 taking proud delivery of his new Picasso

Enjoy the drive mate

falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #66
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
lovely post.., i'm curious what would you suggest for under $18k

yeah was a bit rough, sorry bent.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #67
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
yeah was a bit rough, sorry bent.
All good fella, i might not win the race to the bowser, but i'll win the race to the cashier.

Now, im interested to know what you think i should have bought new with colour, tint, $600 worth of extras all backed by a 7yr warranty and roadside assist for 7 years for $18k driveaway, if you wouldn't mind.
6 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #68
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Could have bought 18 AUs
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #69
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Could have bought 18 AUs
Only 18, have they gone up in value recently?
8 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #70
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
All good fella, i might not win the race to the bowser, but i'll win the race to the cashier.

Now, im interested to know what you think i should have bought new with colour, tint, $600 worth of extras all backed by a 7yr warranty and roadside assist for 7 years for $18k driveaway, if you wouldn't mind.
Well since your shopping for a car built to a price, and ruled out anything used, i cant recommend anything sorry. Youve done very well.

Im gonna have to assume you didnt purchase the car for the fantastic driving experience, but rather something to 'save' you money on the way to work.

5.8L combined isnt great at all, considering you have to put up with the whopping 62kw. Spending 18k on a new vehicle is counter productive to saving money on fuel, when theres plenty used vehicles out there in good nick for thousands less.
Old 31-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #71
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Well since your shopping for a car built to a price, and ruled out anything used, i cant recommend anything sorry. Youve done very well.

Im gonna have to assume you didnt purchase the car for the fantastic driving experience, but rather something to 'save' you money on the way to work.

5.8L combined isnt great at all, considering you have to put up with the whopping 62kw. Spending 18k on a new vehicle is counter productive to saving money on fuel, when theres plenty used vehicles out there in good nick for thousands less.
No, i bought it because i can...simples!
5 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #72
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Well, we picked it up this afternoon.

This is the first 'new' car we've bought since 2004 when i bought a new PH Courier for my business and prior to that 1998 when the Wife bought a Hyundai Excel Sprint.

Always just bought slightly second hand cars so despite what some think of the car itself, the price, my reasoning, the truth is, we just wanted something new for 18k driveaway and this is it.

Pics to follow..
Old 31-10-2018, 10:12 PM   #73
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I bought a brand new Kia Cerato a few years back for same reasons.
After years of only owning fords.. Lasers, falcons, mondeos.

I do heaps of kms a year mostly in city, so wanted cheap reliable trouble free with long w/tee. Its a tool to get me round, not a car to enjoy.

But I totally fell in love with it!
Its a great car! I cant fault it. Others who have ridden in it have now bought one. Im now a kia fanboy.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #74
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post

I do heaps of kms a year mostly in city, so wanted cheap reliable trouble free with long w/tee. Its a tool to get me round, not a car to enjoy.
Thats it in a nutshell really, cheap, worry free motoring in a vehicle which is seen as it is, a tool to get you from a to b.
Sure we could have bought the base model for $3k less but for those few extra dollars the car is much nicer to get around in, heck, even old mate across the road who sells the Swift wondered why i even considered it over this, its a lot more car for the money were his words.

Im happy as a pig in ****, drove to work this morning with zero tailgaters and the new car smell which is what i set out to achieve.
5 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #75
Chopped
as in chopped

Let's not forget that Ford used to stick their badges on baby KIAs.. so they can't be that bad.

I think Bent_8 did well, good buying imo for the purpose it is intended. 7 year warranty and not a bad resale when it's time to sell it.

Hyundai and KIA will only continue to improve and scare the Japanese brands into adding value (like the new Corolla is now full of kit standard)
Old 01-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #76
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Its easy to become a Ford patriot on a Ford Forum and I can understand why some might not see the logic in what BENT_8 did. But I do understand that while we enjoy Fords and all they mean and have meant to us, there is more to being badge loyal these days.

I have to say, 10years ago I would have laughed at the thought of buying a KIA too. But the more I see how much kit they have and how much they back up their product warranty, the more I wish we had an Australian variant with all the fruit for the same coin.

Now with that out the way, where are the pics dude?!?!?!

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2018, 05:13 PM   #77
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Its easy to become a Ford patriot on a Ford Forum and I can understand why some might not see the logic in what BENT_8 did. But I do understand that while we enjoy Fords and all they mean and have meant to us, there is more to being badge loyal these days.

I have to say, 10years ago I would have laughed at the thought of buying a KIA too. But the more I see how much kit they have and how much they back up their product warranty, the more I wish we had an Australian variant with all the fruit for the same coin.

Now with that out the way, where are the pics dude?!?!?!
Dont get me wrong, the thought of having two Fords, make that three Fords with the Daughters Fiesta, in the driveway was certainly something i'd have loved to have but unfortunately there were none left in my budget which, if you knew my luck, you'd completely understand.
So it became a case of whats next and with brand snobbery aside as a result of the above mentioned, i figured why not give the Korean car a look and was pleasantly surprised at what you get in a car that size.

The pics are coming, i took it out to photograph it last night but couldn't get any that would do it justice and as i've seen some of you're work im a little embarrassed to provide dodgy Samsung A5 taken pics..lol
This user likes this post:
Old 01-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #78
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, the thought of having two Fords, make that three Fords with the Daughters Fiesta, in the driveway was certainly something i'd have loved to have but unfortunately there were none left in my budget which, if you knew my luck, you'd completely understand.
So it became a case of whats next and with brand snobbery aside as a result of the above mentioned, i figured why not give the Korean car a look and was pleasantly surprised at what you get in a car that size.

The pics are coming, i took it out to photograph it last night but couldn't get any that would do it justice and as i've seen some of you're work im a little embarrassed to provide dodgy Samsung A5 taken pics..lol
Let's face it, if Kia and Hyundai weren't doing such a great job of producing value packed vehicles, Ford and Holden may still be alive in Australia.

Well done for sticking to your guns and buying the car that you wanted. Nothing compares to buying a new car that hasn't been mistreated. If others here have a different opinion, let them buy someone else's problems and save a few bucks just to spend twice as much on repairs in a few years.

Give them all a happy wave as you cruise past the repair shops and service stations.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:17 PM   #79
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We love our Kia Rondo 7 seater. It drives well, has all the bells and whistles and is very comfortable. When I was looking I had a list of what we wanted and a budget, the Kia (while not perfect) was well ahead of its competitors. So far has been a great vehicle. No time for brand loyalty nowadays, just get the car that suits your needs and budget at the time. Why buy a car that doesn't suit your needs/budget just to have a certain badge?
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #80
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"While Kia officially claims a combined figure of 5.8L/100km, we returned an indicated figure of 7.6L/100km over 440km of mixed driving favouring urban environments."
Old 02-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #81
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a Mazda 2 for similar reasons to Bent8 as i needed reliable and cheap transport to get me to work. I didn't get the top of the line Genki at around $22.5k just a Neo which i picked up for under $15k. It replaced an earlier Mazda 2 which i bought new for just over $14k. I did 125kms in 5 years, and with regular 10kms servicing, i only ever replaced the tyres at 100Kms . It would have gone much further without problem, but on Mday they made an offer i didn't refuse.
It gives me 750 kms out of a tank , averaging 5l/100kms without fuss. The previous De model gave me just over 600kms for the same distance.
I now enjoy the GT on weekends or whenever it takes my fancy, although the new speeding laws in Victoria (25ks over and you get 3months off ) i will need to be more careful. The Mazda is a means to an end, and as such, a bloody good one. I hope you have many happy motoring miles Bent8, you bought your car to please you and that's the right reason, no matter what anyone else thinks.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2018, 09:50 AM   #82
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post

But I totally fell in love with it!
Its a great car! I cant fault it. Others who have ridden in it have now bought one. Im now a kia fanboy.
I'm hearing you mate.

We had a '96 VS Commodore that, whilst it served us reasonably well, was certainly not without it's problems. I particularly noticed these issues start to come hard and fast once the car was around 8 to 10 years old.

A few I can recall were hood linings (on its third one by the time it was 10 years old and even that one was starting to drop!), leaking intake manifold gaskets, various air-con failures, bonnet and boot struts failing, and plastic interior trim starting to crack and break.

In 2008 we went car shopping. It was probably about the first time that I went into a car purchase with a completely open mind. We realised that the bulk of what Commodore's usage was my wife's 30km round daily work commute and the innumerable shopping and running around trips that wives invariably do.

Many test drives later I asked her if she'd like to have a look at the Hyundai i30 which had just been released. She was keen and away we went, drove it, liked it and bought one.

I well recall the reaction from colleagues and associates was perhaps one of amusement, and we certainly got to experience the 'badge snobbery' thing first hand.

Fast forward 10 years and the i30 is now my commuter as I have to pick up three boys each afternoon from school. I must admit I'm very fond of that little car, it's hard not to be when a vehicle gives you such a great run. Wife has moved up to a Santa Fe and loves it, so our motoring needs are sorted.

I did my time at a Ford dealership and still have an XY in the shed so Fords will always have a special place in my heart - but life's too short not to enjoy some variety.

At the end of the day, cars are a piece of equipment, so my idea is to buy one that is suited to your needs and budget, as Bent 8 has done.

But be warned, just because they're at the budget end of the market doesn't mean they aren't a great little car and that you won't fall in love with them - even Korean ones!
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #83
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Well, here she is, appologies for the ordinary pics, im no photographer.

And the footwell lighting and red accents at night

Last edited by GasoLane; 02-11-2018 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Uploaded inages
Old 02-11-2018, 11:46 AM   #84
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"While Kia officially claims a combined figure of 5.8L/100km, we returned an indicated figure of 7.6L/100km over 440km of mixed driving favouring urban environments."
removed post - wasted effort
Old 02-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #85
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Dude, its been in the high 30's here in Adelaide for the past few days and although cooler today is as muggy as hell so i've had the A/C on the whole time and due to only doing short trips in suburban conditions 4 times a day is regularly in cold start loop.
Despite this, its currently showing 6.9l/100km and dropping fast, i have no doubt i'll see it in the low 6's within a week.

Just asked my Daughter about her 09 Fiesta 1.4l 4sp Auto, its showing 7.5l/100ks and she does a lot of highway driving from home on the outskirts of northern Adelaide to Grange.

Heck, even the Wifes diesel Territory is only showing 8.5l/100ks which is better than she got in her 4cyl Camry Sportivo.

Last edited by BENT_8; 02-11-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #86
prydey
Rob

Quote:
You do realise that Bent_8 isn't saying you have to like it as well. Plus I hardly think fuel figures from a review are an accurate indication of the real world.

And, you don't actually have to click on the thread....
Old 02-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #87
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Manufactures fuel economy figures are not achieved by them testing it in the 'real world'.

They have to do it under Australian Design Rule (ADR) 81/02... https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2012L01037

I frequently get better than what my manufacturer states.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:51 PM   #88
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And I frequently get worse than what they state.. but I'm having fun anyway.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:33 PM   #89
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
And, you don't actually have to click on the thread....

calm down princess, just havin a discussion. How many more congratulations does he need?

the fuel economy was a factor in the purchase, it seems 62kw can still be thirsty
Old 02-11-2018, 05:55 PM   #90
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

So i've done a mere 14km since it read 6.9l/100km this morning, now its down to 6.7l/100km..

https://imgur.com/FjHyvgJ
2 users like this post: