Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 20-08-2014, 11:42 PM   #1
Tokyo Geoff
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What do you consider to be a fast 400m time?

Hi all,
Looking through various threads I'm curious what people think is a fast time for a 400m, not just Fords but any car? I know some of the turbos get to the magic 10s and that's insane imo but in a good way of course. But when does ordinary become fast become wow? There seem to be lots of cars that do 14s and 13s. I would consider those times ordinary for V8s, 12s and 11s fast and 10s awesome and only for FI.
Cheers
Geoff

1974 XB Sedan, 1974 XB Hardtop, 1991 EA Ghia (New to 430,000km), 2004 BA Fairmont, 2009 FG XR8, 2014 FGX G6ET, 2016 FGX Sprint XR6 and now...
Tokyo Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2014, 11:46 PM   #2
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default Re: What do you consider to be a fast 400m time?

13 brisk
12 quick
11 very quick
10 insane
9 and under = should have bought a house instead
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
Thornie
Off smelting

I seem to think I still live in the 90's when an 11 sec street car you could hear coming for 3 blocks away, and would use a 1/4 tank of fuel just running a lap of the main drag in town. so 11's is still quick for me.
Old 20-08-2014, 11:56 PM   #4
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These days I think a street car needs to be in the 10s to be fast
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2014, 12:02 AM   #5
Tokyo Geoff
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky. View Post
That begs the question of how many fast cars are there?

1974 XB Sedan, 1974 XB Hardtop, 1991 EA Ghia (New to 430,000km), 2004 BA Fairmont, 2009 FG XR8, 2014 FGX G6ET, 2016 FGX Sprint XR6 and now...
Tokyo Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2014, 12:05 AM   #6
sct911

11 second cars get boring after a while, a 10 second car is what i'd personally consider fast and fun

a 9 second pass has been acheived on a stock fg motor, buy house and have 9 sec car

FG xr6 turbo
PB:10.521 @ 135.76 MPH, 60 foot: 1.699
on MT et streets

CMS TUNED

Last edited by sct911; 21-08-2014 at 12:12 AM.
sct911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-08-2014, 12:40 AM   #7
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Fast car = 9 second car and 0-100 in < 3.5 minimum
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2014, 12:45 AM   #8
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sct911 View Post
11 second cars get boring after a while, a 10 second car is what i'd personally consider fast and fun

a 9 second pass has been acheived on a stock fg motor, buy house and have 9 sec car
i think you need to go drive a stock BA XT for a few days then jump back in yours

a flat 11 is quick on the street in anyone's language!
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2014, 01:03 AM   #9
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Geoff View Post
That begs the question of how many fast cars are there?
Not many.

I guess I think that forms part of the definition.

When lots of cars are reaching a given level of performance, then the bar is raised, that level is the new norm and needs to be exceeded
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2014, 01:14 AM   #10
zilo
BANNED

13 to 14 is a quick daily driver and what most people settle for...or dream about cause they still want their ipod connection..
10 to 12 is attracting too much police attention and and unsuitable for the mother in law.
9 or below is a track car and thats about it, cause theres no rear seats, spare wheels etc
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2014, 04:27 AM   #11
icecold84

Plenty of cars running 10s, so it's 10s for me
Old 21-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #12
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

For a street car, anything sub-13.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
13 brisk
12 quick
11 very quick
10 insane
9 and under = should have bought a house instead
Agree, I was stoked to run a 12.7 in my manual 351 coupe back in the 90's.

Today that is slower than stock as street cars run 10's now.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #14
Taily

Late 80's I bought an externally neat engineered Capri already fitted with a 351W/C4/9" running an under carb sniff of gas which was traded at the dealership I worked at in NW Sydney. By the time I was finished with it I had dropped its times by 1.6 seconds into the high 11's on street tyres. In the process I had also dropped a sodding bundle into it and boy did it attract attention... I swapped+cash for a mates XY and he went on to sink even more $$$$ into it.

These days I enjoy getting into the wifes "mildly" modded XR50T that never leaves me stranded, drives like a pussycat yet will achieve mid/high 12's and nobody looks twice at it on the road.

11 seconds out of a street car on street tyres is still pretty quick, 10's are pretty blinding and 9's are guru status material.
Taily is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #15
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on the car IMO. 11s out of an XR6T/F6 these days are not too hard to achieve and you can drive the thing everyday, not get harrassed by the police and get decent fuel economy.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #16
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
13 to 14 is a quick daily driver and what most people settle for...or dream about cause they still want their ipod connection..
10 to 12 is attracting too much police attention and and unsuitable for the mother in law.
9 or below is a track car and thats about it, cause theres no rear seats, spare wheels etc
[IMG][/IMG]

This car ran a 12.9 standard. It has now run an 11.4 second pass. Driven everyday (not always to work) with Ipod connectivity, bluetooth, standard 6 speed auto, electric seats, power windows, full weight with the spare in the boot. Almost gets 500kms to a single tank, and to top it off, I have only been pulled over twice in the nearly three years of owning this car (Bought it when I was 23, now 26) and they were both at RBTs.
It will be getting an E85 tune done to it next week so I can get my 10 second pass.
To top it off, my grandmother has driven the car several times with no problems.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #17
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

"Hey daddy whats that thingy on the back of that quiet new turbo Falcon with big wheels?" - "Its a parachute love, those things need em, they really do fly"

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #18
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky. View Post
I consider 12.anything to be fast for a daily streeter.

I still think that for the main parts into the 10s means running on silly fuels etc. and generally just waiting for inevitable expensive repair bills when things eventually go bang, and they will go bang shifting heavy cars repeatedly down the strip in 10s. But yes a 10 second car feels very, very quick indeed and it is amazing that thanks to technology it can be done these days without needing 5000rpm stall convertors, 4.11s and burning 30-40 litres per 100km.
5 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #19
Taily

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
... But yes a 10 second car feels very, very quick indeed and it is amazing that thanks to technology it can be done these days without needing 5000rpm stall convertors, 4.11s and burning 30-40 litres per 100km.
I'd almost forgotten about the fuel economy... From the Hills district to the northern beaches I'd have to fill-up straight away when getting there. Don't miss that one bit.
Taily is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #20
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

13s is acceptable for entry priced performance cars.
12s, Fast
11s Faster and entering Supercar speeds.
10s Super fast for a street legal car
9s Drag car with number plates. or a Veyron/top end supercars

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #21
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Doing 0 to 200km/hr within 400m is FAST

If you can do 0 to +200km/hr within 400m then you're obviously FASTER

Old school anything doing 13's was fast, but these days it's kinda average.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #22
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

For me, it depends on what car it is. Anything under a 14 for a N/A 6 is quick, but that's obviously not the case for our modern Turbo and Miami powered Falcons. More points have to be awarded for reliability and being able to drive to and from the track and not on a trailer.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #23
Rodge
Banned

13.0 - 14.0 Brisk
12.0 - 12.99 Fast
11.0 - 11.99 Very Fast
10.0 - 10.99 Ballistic
<9.9 More money than sense
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #24
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

For me it depends what the car is, how old it is, and what sort of engine it has and what mods it has had.

In particular how old it is, because in recent years power and performance has gone up a lot across the range of vehicles.

We know this forum isn't just about Fords, so I'll discuss it broadly.

Around 15 seconds or under is good for an NA 2 litre, But if you've got a 2 litre turbo and you can't into the low 14s or even into the 13s it is nothing special.

Under 14 is 'quick' for a street-driven car of any description, but if it is a petrol turbo or is NA but bigger than 3.5 litres and has been built since about 2008 then it would want to be better than that otherwise it is what I would call an average or slow car for what it is.

If you've got a fairly new car that claims to be a high performance model, is a V8 or has any sort of turbo 6 cylinder petrol in it, then it's nothing to write home about if it isn't under 13.5 down the 1/4 mile.

A 'quick' new (last three years) car is under 13 seconds over the 1/4 mile stock standard. Fast cars are under 12.

If you're modifying a fairly new (less than 5 year old) high performance model and can't get into the low 12s or under you've either done the wrong mods, or picked the wrong car.

However age isn't everything. There's plenty of old cars in the 12s or 11s or better but they also have big dollars spent on them and aren't always that street friendly.

Edit: And I'm not the sort of elitist that only cares about the very best 1/4 mile times and won't acknowledge a car that is quick for what it is. For example, if someone does mods to a 2005 VW Golf GTi and gets a mid-13 out of it, I can say 'thats a fast car'. It doesn't have to be a V8 with huge power for me to notice it.

My 2c.

Last edited by Alan D Segal; 21-08-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #25
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My daily car is an FG XR6 Turbo and it does 700+ kms per week every week.

It is a 9 sec car and anyone from my wife to my Grandmother has driven it.

It is fully opted (lux and tech pack) with Leather and had tow pack as well, weighed 1949 kgs with me in it when it ran the 9.

I would say that an 11 sec car is pretty quick, a 10 sec very quick and a 9 sec car super quick.

But you've got to remember there's a huge difference between a 10 sec turbo car to a 10 sec V8!

vevapower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #26
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back in 1953 a stock 3.9 Customline did the 1/4 in 21 seconds, people thought that was pretty fast back then. Ten years later a 260 Fairlane could do it in 19.5 seconds, a real rocket they said. 4 years later an XR GT was good for about 16 seconds.
The fastest times recorded by dragsters in America in the early sixties were down to about 8-9 seconds.
Old 21-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #27
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Have a look at this... shows you how far we've come in terms of performance and efficiency.

To me, anything under 13 seconds is quick and 11's mean the speedo will be showing 200 kph at the end of the 400m run.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #28
The Monty
Just slidin'

11s are quick but get boring pretty quick to.
10s seem to be the norm lately, plenty of cars running 10s.
9s are a very fast car. Hell, we even had one run an 8.9 up here the other week, straight as a die.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #29
Uwish

As we are now spoilt for speed.
Street cars
14s SLOW
13s Slow
12s Meh 4cy Turbos stock are running this
11s Getting there
10s Quick for a streeter
9s WOW
8s Yes some streeters are in the 8s and that is insane. ( Street regoed and driven )
Uwish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I agree with most of the above, but the side shot of the FG is very nice!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post