Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #2971
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
Don't worry , with Valverde by his side, i am sure that we shall see them the blue train of MovieStar try and put time in Sky .
However , at this point in time - time trail , mountains , i can't see any rider and or team put time into Froome .
I said it before , he is a ugly rider on the bike , a rider i certainly would not wish to emulate - however the boy can ride - no questions

I really would like to see Quintana and Valverde give Froome and team Sky a blood nose in the Alps. Quintana really needs to do some damage in the Alps as Froome has the advantage in the TT. I would like to see Quintana get the win but unfortunately I am going to predict a Froome win with Quintana 2nd at about 2 mins down.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:05 AM   #2972
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
I really would like to see Quintana and Valverde give Froome and team Sky a blood nose in the Alps. Quintana really needs to do some damage in the Alps as Froome has the advantage in the TT. I would like to see Quintana get the win but unfortunately I am going to predict a Froome win with Quintana 2nd at about 2 mins down.
+1. Quintana doesn't have the tenacity to want to attack early. With 2 ITT's this tour, there will be minutes taken by Froome. Quintana needs to attack as much as possible based on the fact Froome will have him in spades in the time trials.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-07-2016, 11:38 AM   #2973
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
+1. Quintana doesn't have the tenacity to want to attack early. With 2 ITT's this tour, there will be minutes taken by Froome. Quintana needs to attack as much as possible based on the fact Froome will have him in spades in the time trials.
Agreed, he needs to put it all on the line in the Alps but I don't think he or Movistar have the ability to get enough time into Froome and Sky to cover his losses in the TT's.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:28 PM   #2974
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agreed, he needs to put it all on the line in the Alps but I don't think he or Movistar have the ability to get enough time into Froome and Sky to cover his losses in the TT's.
With Martin and Porte riding well thus far , and with Valverde only a 1min behind - agree if Quintana doesn't get a wriggle on , he could face not being on the podium at all .
I dont know Martin that well, but Porte can time trail and although TJ was affected by the cold snap , he will also come back strong .
The teams know , with such a strong Sky team, they can't afford to spend all their biscuits early , as the Sky train will bring Froome back to them . So they appear to have no choice but to wait for the last 30-40mins of riding , in the hope that Froome is isolated to then put time into him.
I can't see any team and rider(maybe other than Porte and BMC) succeeding. Froome and Sky are too strong
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 04:02 AM   #2975
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Well that was a disastrous end to what was going to be an exciting stage, Porte had rotten luck at the end of the stage on Ventoux.
Old 15-07-2016, 05:34 AM   #2976
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I was on the edge of my seat... felt sorry for Froome, he was desperate! It seems the race jury has made things right, after the dust has settled. What an end to a stage, though!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #2977
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
I was on the edge of my seat... felt sorry for Froome, he was desperate! It seems the race jury has made things right, after the dust has settled. What an end to a stage, though!
I think they made the right choice but I think Porte has still missed out on some of the advantage he looked like he was set to get. Porte looked very strong and I think had he be able to make clear run for the line he might have put a bit more time into Quintana and maybe even Froome.
Old 15-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #2978
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Craziest thing I've ever seen! Flaming crowd's fault. The camera motorbike had no choice but to stop.
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #2979
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Anybody in here up around Cairns? Been up here riding FNQ on motorcycles all week, and have now hired a road bicycle to try and burn off some calories up here over the weekend, then of course re-load with too much beer and seafood lol
Old 15-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #2980
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I was speechless watching the race last night. I wasnt sure if I was watching cycling or a duathlon. Definitely crowds fault, but had it not have been Frrome and yellow jersey, would the result still be the same?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 15-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #2981
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

What I don't understand is how could the neutral service car be carrying such a rubbish bike? What was wrong with it? Froome looked like he was on a circus bike!
Old 15-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #2982
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Craziest thing I've ever seen! Flaming crowd's fault. The camera motorbike had no choice but to stop.
Interesting to hear comments from Robbie McEwan last night - "the motorcycle shouldnt stop"
Generally they dont , they run waves of bikes in front to ensure crowds are remindered to get back , however last night the crowds on narrow roads appeared to want to hold Froome up so Quintana could rejoin
With or without a bike , road closure and pressure from the crowds in support of Quintana will not hold Froome
I just home Porte isnt injured and can time trail his way up the GC
Old 15-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #2983
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

I wonder if the TT is still on given the Nice' situation?
Old 15-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #2984
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
What I don't understand is how could the neutral service car be carrying such a rubbish bike? What was wrong with it? Froome looked like he was on a circus bike!
They can't carry enough bikes to cater for all the different heights of riders, plus there are the different brands and types of pedals to clip into.

1971 Fairlane 500
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
Old 15-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #2985
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
They can't carry enough bikes to cater for all the different heights of riders, plus there are the different brands and types of pedals to clip into.

Robbie was saying the the nuetral car was carrying bikes that still had strap on cleats like the 1980's. WTF? Seriously they should have the SPD pedals on there as a minimum.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 07:35 PM   #2986
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Robbie was saying the the nuetral car was carrying bikes that still had strap on cleats like the 1980's. WTF? Seriously they should have the SPD pedals on there as a minimum.
SPD or SPD SL? SPD would be of no use to anyone. The idea of toe clips and straps is not a crazy one, virtually any shoe and cleat could be put in it and strapped down to some degree.

A bike that is too small is no issue when you only have to ride less than 1km but pedals that you can't clip into and actually pedal is. Froome should have taken his shoes off and gone barefoot, he would have had more luck. In my last ironman one competitor forgot to bring his bike shoes to the race so he road the 180km bike leg bare foot, that is hard as nails. Surely Froome could have done it that short distance. Understandable that he did not think of it, the panic ould have been immense.

What I want to know is why did a couple of Sky riders pass Froome while he was running? Why did they not give their team leader their bike, at least they would use the same pedal system.
Old 15-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #2987
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
SPD or SPD SL? SPD would be of no use to anyone. The idea of toe clips and straps is not a crazy one, virtually any shoe and cleat could be put in it and strapped down to some degree.

A bike that is too small is no issue when you only have to ride less than 1km but pedals that you can't clip into and actually pedal is. Froome should have taken his shoes off and gone barefoot, he would have had more luck. In my last ironman one competitor forgot to bring his bike shoes to the race so he road the 180km bike leg bare foot, that is hard as nails. Surely Froome could have done it that short distance. Understandable that he did not think of it, the panic ould have been immense.

What I want to know is why did a couple of Sky riders pass Froome while he was running? Why did they not give their team leader their bike, at least they would use the same pedal system.
I am note sure any Sky riders passed Froome , they were all spend , a few k' down the road before Froome attached . The first rider to reach my memory was the columbian Sergio who rode Froome to the line .
I am sure , if any Sky rider had caught up to Froome they would have loan him their bike
Old 15-07-2016, 08:27 PM   #2988
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
Put a set of 25c GP4000 II's on the Propel last night. Apart from being a bugger to put on, I am absolutely over the moon at the difference they've made.

They're not some miracle cure, but man the ride is a lot smoother, and that real hard edge has been taken off the bike. It's still extremely agile and stiff, but that element of being TOO edgy has been dulled.

Very, very happy.

Oh and here is a photo from today's ride, the first on the new tyres.

imageBike by Dave Bourne, on Flickr
I love this bike. And most if not all the reviews are very very good.
Is it this one.....
https://ivanhoecycles.com.au/bikes/G...rt_inventory=2

I have my eye on this.....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2016, 09:37 PM   #2989
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
I am note sure any Sky riders passed Froome , they were all spend , a few k' down the road before Froome attached . The first rider to reach my memory was the columbian Sergio who rode Froome to the line .
I am sure , if any Sky rider had caught up to Froome they would have loan him their bike
I am pretty sure saw some Sky pass him, might have been my imagination as I was really tired staying up that late.
Old 15-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #2990
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
I am pretty sure saw some Sky pass him, might have been my imagination as I was really tired staying up that late.
One of the Sky riders did pass him, but it was when he was on the neutral bike. It was after he passed that Froome gave up on the yellow bike.

1971 Fairlane 500
Old 15-07-2016, 11:06 PM   #2991
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
One of the Sky riders did pass him, but it was when he was on the neutral bike. It was after he passed that Froome gave up on the yellow bike.

I thought so, it wasn't my imagination. He should have given up his bike as it was clear Froome was having trouble with the neutral spares bike and particularly the pedals.
Old 16-07-2016, 02:40 AM   #2992
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
I think Robbie was speculating, in that he didn't know, but yes that'd be a better setup to cater for all the riders.

It looks like Froome has done well enough to stay in the number 1 spot.

1971 Fairlane 500
Old 16-07-2016, 04:02 AM   #2993
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I thought so, it wasn't my imagination. He should have given up his bike as it was clear Froome was having trouble with the neutral spares bike and particularly the pedals.
tonight they speculated that the sky rider that passed froome may have also had a different pedal system, and therefore his bike would have been just as useless.

just on the incident, whilst the crowds in general are pretty bad (not sure if worse this year than other years) there were some unique circumstances surrounding stage 12. there were extremely high winds. the finish line was brought forward 6km, so therefore you have a lot more spectators in a shorter space (i believe the finish was modified only shortly before the event) and also the barriers weren't used as extensively due to the high winds.

none of this excuses the behaviour of the spectators though. the amazing thing is, earlier froome lashed out at a spectator who was getting in his face with a flag, yelling etc, and yet rather than penalise the spectators for being in the way, froome was fined. are the spectators (supposed cycling fans) untouchable?

what other sport allows fans/spectators on to the playing area? its only a matter of time now before there is a more serious injury. whilst its all well and good to cite tradition and what not for allowing the fans the luxury of cheering on their heroes from the sidelines, but they aren't exactly helping themselves out here.

Shav, you would like to think that the officials would have acted the same regardless of who was involved, but the fact that it did involve the yellow jersey clearly would have played a part.

froome clearly had a major panic though. surely he would know the rules, yeah? in hindsight he probably should have just waited where he crashed. not sure why he set off running!
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2016, 09:40 AM   #2994
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Anybody in here up around Cairns? Been up here riding FNQ on motorcycles all week, and have now hired a road bicycle to try and burn off some calories up here over the weekend, then of course re-load with too much beer and seafood lol
Trev, my sister lives in Cairns and one of her favourite climbs is copperlode

http://www.cairnsinfo.com/region_gui...onSubjectID=79

https://www.strava.com/activities/619897629

never been up there myself. have fun exploring new roads.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #2995
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
I love this bike. And most if not all the reviews are very very good.
Is it this one.....
https://ivanhoecycles.com.au/bikes/G...rt_inventory=2

I have my eye on this.....
Yes sir it is indeed. God that price is good too!!!

I know new models are coming out and all, but damn!

I honestly love it. I would highly recommend getting 25c tyres for it ASAP, as I personally find it that touch too harsh out of the box.
Old 16-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #2996
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Sitting inside playing on the computer because it is belting down in heavy rain outside and I am too much of a wuss to go out and do my 3 hr ride in it. I found an interesting new release coming from Shimano, a power unit integrate into their new Dura Ace group set.

http://www.shimano.com.au/content/sa...-groupset.html

This looks like a system that has a lot of potential if executed properly, I can't wait until Sram and Campagnolo develop their own. Greater competition between the manufacturers developing their own systems with power meters, wireless electronic shifting and user adjustability all for a cheaper cost, what is not to love?
Old 16-07-2016, 07:18 PM   #2997
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
Yes sir it is indeed. God that price is good too!!!

I know new models are coming out and all, but damn!

I honestly love it. I would highly recommend getting 25c tyres for it ASAP, as I personally find it that touch too harsh out of the box.
As the marketing blur states 'screams class' , especially at that price point . It's a shame their effective top tube length is too long for my set up , or I would have one in the bedroom next to the other beautie
Old 16-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #2998
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sitting inside playing on the computer because it is belting down in heavy rain outside and I am too much of a wuss to go out and do my 3 hr ride in it. I found an interesting new release coming from Shimano, a power unit integrate into their new Dura Ace group set.

http://www.shimano.com.au/content/sa...-groupset.html

This looks like a system that has a lot of potential if executed properly, I can't wait until Sram and Campagnolo develop their own. Greater competition between the manufacturers developing their own systems with power meters, wireless electronic shifting and user adjustability all for a cheaper cost, what is not to love?
As was stated earlier , this will be in my opinion from what everything is based on . I dare say , it will be the bench mark , and I expect cranks will soon then be available in the models down from Dura Ace , or better still , bikes like the Giant Propel Advanced Pro will be equipped with either Ultegra or Dura Ace with the ability to track "power"
It will interesting to see next season those teams riding Dura Ace with SRM , whether they stay with SRM or adopt Dura Ace supplied power cranks. My bet they will be forced to adopt the Dura Ace power cranks
Old 17-07-2016, 01:43 AM   #2999
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

For those who use Strava, check out this effort...

https://www.strava.com/activities/638896073

He was out for almost 24 hours, with about 3 hours rest!

1971 Fairlane 500
Old 17-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #3000
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
For those who use Strava, check out this effort...

https://www.strava.com/activities/638896073

He was out for almost 24 hours, with about 3 hours rest!
You would be very proud with that effort. It tick's so many of the key indicators. Bravo