Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 11-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
warren77

Default Anyone Taken the Stereo out?

I have taken the plunge and bought an OS stereo.
Worse case, I have done $500.
Best case, I get GPS in an MA XR5 Mondeo.

Once I get it up and running (maybe if??) I will post some photos of course.
But does anyone have a step by step guide to getting the stereo out?
Anything I should be worried about?

Thanks in advance

warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

I've had mine out.

You need to pop out the two triangle trims next to the stereo. Where the starter button is. Use something like a plastic credit card etc so you wont scratch the trim.

Behind these are two torx 25 screws from memory or maybe allen head screws.

Remove ash tray.

Place hands inside the cup holder with your palms to the outside (backs of hands facing each other) and feel the edges of the trim that surrounds the top of the cup holder, gear shift extra. You need to gently but surely lift this straight up. Its only clipped in.

Once you get this trim started, follow it all the way back towards the dash. After you have totally removed this panel (it won't come 100% free due to the shifter boot leather) it will reveal two more screws, one either side of the ashtray. Remove these.

Now gently remove the stereo fascia trim (brushed alloy finish), once you get this free, don't pull hard. You will need to disconnect all the electrical plugs for the AC, demister, hazard lights, parking sensors etc. They are all simple clip ons.

The brushed alloy panel should now come free, and expose the radio and its mountings. Undo the stereo mount screws and slide it straight out.

Hope this helps. Its been a good 18 months since I had mine out, I hope I didn't forget anything, but I did mine without any instructions its fairly easy too figure out as you go.

Good Luck, and definitely let everyone know how it goes!
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
warren77

Thanks LR!
As usual, a quality post.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I know that if it was offered in Oz, I would have gone for the touch screen head unit that's offered in the UK.
Like most people there is too much we have to carry now - GPS and a phone. The new rules means that we need cradles for phones and I don't really want two hanging off the windscreen, so an inbuilt GPS would be good.

Looking forward to the photos - perhaps some of the whole process?
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
warren77

At this stage, I am in two minds if I do the install myself or get a mate to do it.
I am off on my honeymoon and a lot will depend on when it arrives and how much time I have.
Either way, LR's guide will be used!
I have gotten it with a reverse camera.

Will give a review once it comes in.

I do think that Ford Australia was stupid not include a built in GPS as standard
Old 12-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GPS should be standard in the TITANIUM
Old 12-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
wusyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
GPS should be standard in the TITANIUM
It should be but it is not. In a way, it is kind of good in that way as the map updates for factory installed GPS is way expensive.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
warren77

The map updates can be expensive.
But it also beats getting a smashed window and someone stealing your GPS.
That is why I want the built it.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
I do think that Ford Australia was stupid not include a built in GPS as standard
Not at the prices some car manufactures charge for built in GPS anything from $3000-$5000 what a rip off!!

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 06:49 AM   #10
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm keen to know this as well. Found these 2 units on Ebay, and I'm interested in buying either. One is in Sydney and it says that it works with the original steering controls. While the other says it is plug in and play. Both are $600. Also the sydney one says they can do the install, (auto electrician) as theres comes with reversing Camera. Not interested in the camera as I have reverse sensors, but the unit it's self looks pretty good.

First unit is the one located in Sydney

What do you guys think?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #11
Rapscallion
Seduce G6ET

This is great that you have found one in Sydney and they can do the install. I personally think the second one looks better but the fact that the first one is in Sydney would seal the deal for me. Let us know if you get it and give us a full review. Nobody's game to make the first move on these things!
Rapscallion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #12
warren77

I would suggest that the guy in Sydney has bought them direct from an Asian supplier.
You just get the advantage of having a local person, versus paying more.
Especially with the Aussie dollar being strong at the moment.

The ETA on my stereo is actually Tuesday next week.
Which includes a reverse camera - as much as the XR5 has rear parking sensors, it has poor rear visibility (as I confirmed today nearly running over a pedestrian who was stupid enough to try to walk behind a car parallel parking) a camera just makes it easier.

My advice: ask questions of the person on ebay and hit them hard for a discount.
I have saved over $100AUD by negotiating directly with the seller.
Old 13-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #13
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

I'll be doing mine in the new year.

Im going to go with a pioneer unit and a fascia kit. Wont look as integrated, but sound quality is a big thing for me, not sure how these units go with that?

Either way, I'll definitely be watching to see how this goes. I only wish I could be there when Warren installs his to see it first hand.
Old 13-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #14
warren77

LR I hear what you say about sound quality.
I do have some concerns in that area but as I getting even more tone deaf in my old age, not such at issue ;)
Main thing for me is the GPS - I want a built in GPS so I don't have to take it down. Yes I have an iphone but not impressed with the GPS quality.
The dvd, ipod integration etc is all a nice to have.

If I don't get what I want from this device, I may go down a third party route.
Or put the original back in (cant wait until I have to get the stereo codes from Ford on that one) and just live with it.
Who knows.

Btw: at this stage, I have been given a "we won't tell Mr Rudd" price to install the headunit and rear view camera for $150. Versus trying to find 2 plus hours to do it myself the week before my wedding.
So I may very well be just paying the installer (who's work I have seen and it is good quality) to do the job, and use those two hours to get other stuff done.
Old 13-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
Rapscallion
Seduce G6ET

Can you post the link for the Sydney one please? I must be ebay challenged, I can't find it......
Rapscallion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #16
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And here is another one:

Ebay item 320445896837

Claims to be steering wheel control compatible and cost is quoted as $431. What is a neat touch is that the maps are loaded from an SD card so there shouldn't be any need to do upgrades on an internal memory array.

Have to think about this as I'm also conscious of the problems with external GPS. Not the unit itself but the damage and inconvenience if someone attemps to break into the car.

Cost is about the same as the high end Tomtoms so I wonder about the accuracy of the mapping but they do say they are supplying 2008 Navteq data on an SD Card

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Last edited by AlanD; 14-11-2009 at 02:59 PM.
AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #17
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
Or put the original back in (cant wait until I have to get the stereo codes from Ford on that one) and just live with it.
Hi Warren,

Did you not get the stereo security code when the car was delivered?

I wondered about that until I found a a pair of sticky labels wrapped around the rear of the ash tray insert with the security keycode.

Is yours still there?

Cheers

MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Old 14-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #18
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I get one, i have to wait till the new year. But I am keen to proceed with this.
Old 14-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #19
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD
Hi Warren,

Did you not get the stereo security code when the car was delivered?

I wondered about that until I found a a pair of sticky labels wrapped around the rear of the ash tray insert with the security keycode.

Is yours still there?

Cheers
I think it was there. Moved it to my manual which I have just noticed is no longer in the car. Off searching I go!
Old 15-11-2009, 03:05 AM   #20
DAGGLES
Starter Motor

Hi everyone. I bought one of these overseas models (the second one in bucknaked's photo's). I had it installed (cost $90) two weeks ago. Here is what I have found.

Looks great. Fits in really well.
GPS is fantastic. Pre-loaded with Igo 2008 map. The supplier even had my home address loaded in.
Speed and camera alerts are great
DVD player and picture is terrific.
Bluetooth works well
There are lots of little things I keep finding that are quite useful which I sort of stumble across the more that I play with it.
Sound is great. Lots of channel pre-sets
Reverse camera works really well.
Ipod connection is excellent and brings up all ipod menus on the main screen.

Things that I am still trying to get my head around

You lose some items off the HMI because they are now controlled by the GPS unit.
The voice control activation doesn't work. It wasn't something I used often after the novelty wore off anyway.
The instructions for the unit are horrid so it really is a trial and error approach when learning how to use the unit although I have emailed the supplier a couple of times to ask how to do something and he responded very quickly and even offered to talk me through the machine if I wanted.
The steering wheel controls only control the volume and station search. You can't change the band or do anything else with them. You can change songs on the ipod and volume and that's really it.
The bluetooth is fine but I haven't worked out how to store numbers yet. The instructions aren't clear and nothing I have tried works yet there seems to be provision to have the store function.
It does come with a remote control which I have only used a couple of time. I prefer to use the touch screen. Much easier.

I kept the original system that came with the car so if I want to revert back the installer said they would charge me $50 to reinstall the original. They advised the install and set up of this O/s model is really easy.

So there you go. I have found it to be good but will keep playing around with it and see whether I miss being able to use the HMI to it's full capacity. You really only get to retain all the trip computer stuff ie average fuel etc.

Let me know if you would like to know any more.

Cheers.
DAGGLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #21
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Welcome Daggles.

Nice first post too. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Old 15-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #22
warren77

Daggles

when you say voice doesn't work do you mean
a) at all
b) to control the stereo but all other functions work

You must also have factory bluetooth. Does it stil work using the built in mic?
Old 15-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #23
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Daggles. It';s good to hear from someone who has had this fitted, and can offer the pro's and cons of the unit. Very useful.

For me, the main reason I am looking for a unit like this is because I never got factory Bluetooth, so no voice controls. I figure this could be a nice way around of actually getting a little more than what I already have at a reasonable price.

So I should factor in some fitting costs as well.

Thanks again Daggles
Old 15-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #24
DAGGLES
Starter Motor

Hi Warren77. When I say the voice control doesn't work I mean when I push the end of the indicator stalk I get no response whereas prior to fitting this unit I would get a nice lady ask me a question about what function I would like to use. Now I get nothing. Apart from showing off when I initially got the car I rarely used the function again, except for using bluetooth and asking it to dial numbers or names. So you can't change the climate, fan speed, audio or any other function by voice command with this new unit in the car. I do have factory bluetooth but at the moment the bluetooth is now used via the new entertainment unit. There is a mic on the top left. You can see it in the photo bucknaked posted on an earlier comment. I'll go back to the factory fitted bluetooth and see what I get and report back.

Bucknaked - I am a total hack when it comes to anything electronic so I had no choice but to go to the experts. First I went to Ford and they didn't want to know. Then I asked one or two other auto elecs and they didn't want to know either and gave me random quotes of several hundred dollars so that I wouldn't bother them. I then went to "No Limits" car audio in South Melbourne and they were only too happy to do it. They told me maximum cost would be $90. The guys weren't confident that it was going to work but they got a real kick out of it when it did everything it was supposed to do. 3 of the auto elecs sat in the car with me after hours for about 90 minutes and we pushed, prodded and poked everything and found all sorts of little gems behind the scenes. They were wrapt. They called me a week later and asked me how it was going and wanted to seek out the supplier details because they want to get some units in. They presently fit GPS units for Ford into the territory and now they want to use these one's for Mondeo's sold through Jefferson Ford in South Melb.
DAGGLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #25
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

No Limit Audio is Melbs is one of the best installers in OZ, glad to hear they recommend the unit.

I don't have voice or bluetooth, so this sounds like a win, win scenario for people like myself and bucknaked.

This has really raised it up a peg for me, I'll be looking into this in the new year then.

Cheers.
Old 16-11-2009, 12:12 AM   #26
warren77

Any recommendations for a decent audio installer in Perth?
Just got the notification that my unit has passed customs.
So looking at getting it in this week (no chance I will be doing it next weekend as that is my bucks weekend). Be useful to have in prior to the wedding.
Old 16-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #27
kitt1977
Starter Motor

Hi!

I have seen this unit on Ebay, and I am thinking on buying one for christmas, I was wondering, I live close to Brisbane, would anyone know of a good installer around brisbane area or logan city area.
thanks
kitt1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #28
warren77

Unit has arrived.
Going in on Thursday.
So will give a full review then.
Old 17-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #29
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitt1977
Hi!

I have seen this unit on Ebay, and I am thinking on buying one for christmas, I was wondering, I live close to Brisbane, would anyone know of a good installer around brisbane area or logan city area.
thanks
Not sure exactly where you are, but Northfield car audio are the best installers in QLD, I'd highly recommend them.

Try to speak to Drew, he'll sort it out for ya.
Old 18-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #30
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile

I'm going to be verrry interested in the feedback Warren provides when he has the unit installed and working.

My principal reason of interest is the integrated GPS and bluetooth. The car sales man (who was very new at the job) pointed out the bluetooth facility but I later discovered this particular car is not equipped with it. And I understand it can't be retro fitted. Was not too concerned because my TomTom has Blue tooth - but I'm getting fed up of the hastle of dismounting the GPS, extracting the power feed to it and hiding everything away in the oddments bin between the seats. Then when you get back in the reverse process takes a couple of minutes to get organised. So since a visor mounted bluetooth (Blueant) is likely to cost about $100 and I'm looking for a Tomtom map upgrade for Oz (another $100 min) the idea of having it all integrated into the Stereo is appealing. Not sure what SWMBO is going to say if I take the plunge and start taking the dash of HER new car to bits :

Having found most of the head units shown in this thread, I can't see any reference to the number of discs that can be loaded, Does anyone know? I'd like to keep the six CD Stacker facility. Loading six mp3 coded discs gives me up to 40 hours of music before repeats occur - which is nice.

The car goes in for the 3,000 km "courtesy" service on Friday and I'm asking for the A/C to be checked as well as getting the instantaneous fuel usage facility flashed into the trip computer.

Has anyone else noted that the wiper arms foul the trailing edge of the bonnet if you try to lift them off the windscreen? Makes getting the lower region of the screen clean a bit of a pest!

We covered 2249 Km on the trip to and from Adelaide for a fuel volume of 144.69 litres which yeilds 6.43 l/100 km.

The best was the last 400+ km from Warrnambool to home which included some stop start driving along the Great Ocean Road around Pt Campbell and into the Otway Ranges to have a walk on the "Otway Fly" (Elevated treetop walkway). That yeilded 5.68 l/100km . The worst was from Mt Barker to Warrnambool which was 6.93l/100km. But the fill at Mt Barker occurred with three adults in the car and there was about 200km of city driving before we set off for Warrnambool. This latter fill was with only a single adult in the car. Also the weather from Adelaide to Warrnambool was pretty hot (36+C) and the A/C was working overtime the whole distance. Not sure yet how the car needs to be levelled to get maximum fill - In the Territory it's nose slightly downhill to avoid trapping a pocket of air at the front of the tank.

If I understand Warren correctly he is about to tie the knot : - just be careful where it's tied Anyway, congratulations to you.

Looking forward to your report on the A/M Stereo hope this goes well too.

Cheers

MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red