Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-05-2006, 04:52 PM   #211
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:
A good question to ask anyone that has hit high speeds in these pre electronic autos if it was?. Did you hit 4th gear flat out?
4th gear flat out is impossible unless some serious power upgrades are done. A VN I drove saw 205km/h and was maxed out, it simply didnt have enough torque in 4th. My brothers VP (when it was auto) if you held out 3rd it would reach near 200 or just on 200 (as far as i can recall) and as soon as 4th engages it just bogs down and I think it made it to around 210 (with the mechanical operated box, obviously being a VP) before it had no more. If you let 4th engage earlier, i think it's meant to engage at 180 in D, then it just wont pull at all and probably wont break 200...

EDIT: I don't condone speeding on public roads. This was all done in a controlled environment, and away from anything even remotely considered a public road or situation.
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P

Last edited by oneredED; 25-05-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 25-05-2006, 04:55 PM   #212
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Someone please close this thread. I think it's gone far enough.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 25-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #213
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
One thing the Buick engine isn't is crap or unreliable. This i vouch for, I had to drive my car back over 200km because i couldn't get a tow and had no road side assitance (i do now), I was on the freeway @ about 65kp/h all the way home with only 2 gears, It didn't over heat it didn't miss a beat, With then almost topping 300,000km i was very surprised and very happy with it.
They built this into every V6 holden because most of them break or something goes wrong .
Anyway you seriously cant expect your thoughts to be taken seriously on a ford site whether they are true of fictional. As a Ford fan i agree that the V6 is quick but who cares everyone thinks its a boat ancher job. They all sound the same with an exhaust (VN/VR) the ecotech sounds a tad nicer but and doesnt rattle half as much but i think i think a 5L e series falcon has more cred then a wheezy old V6 commodore.
BTW i cant beleive this thread is still going thats my 2 cents i dont think ill be visitingit again
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 25-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #214
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

hehe this thread is classic.

All I can say is that I work in a mechanical workshop. We currently have 5 commodore V6 engines ( ranging from VN to VT ) on our floor that are awaiting the scrap pile. Most of which had just over 200,000k's on the clock. I'll take a pic if I remember..
Old 25-05-2006, 06:36 PM   #215
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

nearly 220 replies, and all we have now is ANOTHER ford Vs holden argument, as for speaking of 200km/h plus in a 15 y.o car, i hope this is not on the street, that is just STUPID, you are the people that give the rest of us a bad name...i am 19, i have a V8 but it has never seen those speeds, this, i say is not worth the risk, you hit anything at 200km/h be it a pothole, bump in the road or just lose control you are ed, you may even take some poor innocent people along with you... is it worth the 10 seconds of fun? IMO i think not...
this thread is now pointless and i cant believe it hasnt been closed yet...
i think there are too many immature people here and they need an attitude re-adjustment... they will get it one way or another...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 25-05-2006, 06:40 PM   #216
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
The case for a VP over a VN is bigger then many think, Wider track improvements to the Engine transmission. The VL's are smooth but not very powerful, they wind up good and are very nice sounding with a good sports. Maybe if it's his first the VL might be the go. I had experience in many cars much more powerful then myn but never in a V8:( It's always good to work it up harder to get a VL rear out, Very easy hitting a corner with a VN-P kickdown is neck snapping on corners out goes the rear. But don't let him buy a VK yuk i can't stand them plastic box.
lol vk = bogan pack even my bro hates them aswell
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
Old 25-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #217
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonko351
i think there are too many immature people here and they need an attitude re-adjustment... they will get it one way or another...

i think most people would agree with you there.
Old 25-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #218
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:
you hit anything at 200km/h be it a pothole, bump in the road or just lose control you are ed, you may even take some poor innocent people along with you... is it worth the 10 seconds of fun? IMO i think not...
Yeah, it's a pointless thread but so many people posting (but not all) are completely uninformed and should not be posting on the subject, even though it is pointless thread to begin with. I feel I am able to help the young fella here with his questions, and I try to do so without the prejudice, and utter hear-say so many others are posting. BTW, hitting a pothole, or even losing contact with the bitumen (say gravel/grass on side of the TRACK, or becoming airborne over a rise) at 200km/h is completely controllable if you are leaving a buffer in which you can safely stop or avoid any potential problems if something goes wrong.

Quote:
as for speaking of 200km/h plus in a 15 y.o car, i hope this is not on the street
I specifically said this was NOT on the street, and I am the only one talking of such things other than the holden kid, and so I assume you're talking to or about me. Do not make assumptions, especially if you do not know anything of the situation.
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
Old 25-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #219
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikcorty
i think most people would agree with you there.
i second that, hey mods can we get a lock on this thread before it does any more damage?
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
Old 25-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #220
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredED
4th gear flat out is impossible unless some serious power upgrades are done. A VN I drove saw 205km/h and was maxed out, it simply didnt have enough torque in 4th. My brothers VP (when it was auto) if you held out 3rd it would reach near 200 or just on 200 (as far as i can recall) and as soon as 4th engages it just bogs down and I think it made it to around 210 (with the mechanical operated box, obviously being a VP) before it had no more. If you let 4th engage earlier, i think it's meant to engage at 180 in D, then it just wont pull at all and probably wont break 200...

EDIT: I don't condone speeding on public roads. This was all done in a controlled environment, and away from anything even remotely considered a public road or situation.
I asked that question because they will not go into 4th gear flat out you must back off the throttle.
I think anyone that does 170 on publics roads is asking for trouble. Airstrips are nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00VenomXR
They built this into every V6 holden because most of them break or something goes wrong .
Anyway you seriously cant expect your thoughts to be taken seriously on a ford site whether they are true of fictional. As a Ford fan i agree that the V6 is quick but who cares everyone thinks its a boat ancher job. They all sound the same with an exhaust (VN/VR) the ecotech sounds a tad nicer but and doesnt rattle half as much but i think i think a 5L e series falcon has more cred then a wheezy old V6 commodore.
BTW i cant beleive this thread is still going thats my 2 cents i dont think ill be visitingit again
As a owner of the vehicle in question, I think respect of the owners word should be taken seriously no matter where or when it may be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
lol vk = bogan pack even my bro hates them aswell
Plastic no so fantasticThe engines were good then for no reason they stopped. Was always something with the EFI.
Old 25-05-2006, 07:16 PM   #221
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Oh come on guys!

The fact that you even bother to come back to this thread is testament to the fact there is nothing else worth reading at the moment.

Although i'm not really a fan of Holden's in general, you must admit, If it wasn't for them we would proberbly all be driving front wheel drive 2L crapboxes as Ford would have followed the global trend long ago!
Old 25-05-2006, 07:21 PM   #222
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Oh come on guys!

The fact that you even bother to come back to this thread is testament to the fact there is nothing else worth reading at the moment.

Although i'm not really a fan of Holden's in general, you must admit, If it wasn't for them we would proberbly all be driving front wheel drive 2L crapboxes as Ford would have followed the global trend long ago!
what your saying is tru but honestly what else needs to be said in this thread? the question has been answered and some of the comments go against the sites terms and conditions....my 2c

-- Factory Manual
Old 25-05-2006, 08:58 PM   #223
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
As a owner of the vehicle in question, I think respect of the owners word should be taken seriously no matter where or when it may be.
Fair enough but going around saying my stock 'Insert car make/model' <--(name removed for sake of arguements) and sayin that it is the bees knees and will "embarrass" what ever it is up against is crap why do people go and spend money on cars that are worth 5,6,7 or much more times what the car in question is worth to have people say their stock older car will beat them, not that my car is the best im not saying you dont love your car most of us do but there are some people on this site that thrive on arguements like this id love to flame you to death but this isnt the way this site works but incase you havnt noticed your arguements and statements are really throwing the cat amongest the pigions.
Anyway mods how bout putting a lock on this thread i think its run its course as do many others
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 25-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #224
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00VenomXR
Fair enough but going around saying my stock 'Insert car make/model' <--(name removed for sake of arguements) and sayin that it is the bees knees and will "embarrass" what ever it is up against is crap why do people go and spend money on cars that are worth 5,6,7 or much more times what the car in question is worth to have people say their stock older car will beat them, not that my car is the best im not saying you dont love your car most of us do but there are some people on this site that thrive on arguements like this id love to flame you to death but this isnt the way this site works but incase you havnt noticed your arguements and statements are really throwing the cat amongest the pigions.
Anyway mods how bout putting a lock on this thread i think its run its course as do many others
Anyone who thinks their stocker can beat this and that is a complete utter f****** moron, in any car group.

My VL would get smashed by any decent modded car, not like it bothers me anyway, since it is stock, so I dont bother racing other idiots.

Yes I agree, this thread should be locked, I'm actually surprised it's lasted this long, too be honest.

I mean the question was already answered and since then has just been a s*** storm of Holden vs Ford arguments.
Old 25-05-2006, 09:43 PM   #225
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

***lock This Thread Now Please Moderators***
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Old 25-05-2006, 10:30 PM   #226
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

you are all muppets

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan