Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-07-2005, 04:09 PM   #1
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

Default Help please..Can't turn the engine off with the key.

How do I fix this...(I have a 2001 AUII Sedan with 40000 ks.) I can turn my ignition key off and even remove it from the switch, but the motor keeps idling away.
I have an Auto and the only way I found to stop the motor was to disconnect the Idle solenoid to slow the idle right down and then take off a plug lead and the motor will stall.
I noticed that the ignition lights were still on in my dash indicating power was still flowing, so I disconnected the battery lead to de-energise the coil.
Has anyone heard of this problem or know a fix for it? Please help.

Chippitydip.

Chippar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 04:14 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sounds like your ignition barrel has fused itself to the On position. Try removing the barrel from the column and cleaning it out (a shot of WD40 or similar). Then hook it back up so you can check it, start the car and try turning off. If it doesn't worrk, you will need a new barrel.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 04:23 PM   #3
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

Ok thanks mate, I'll duck down and give it a go.

Chippitydip
Old 09-07-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

Hi JCXR8, I did what you said, eventually got the barrel out (the easy part)which was free and turned easy, so I thought what the hell and squirted a bit of CRC into the bowels of the ignition switch and at the same time lightly tapping the outside of the switch where the electrical contacts are housed.

Guess what, I must have loosened something up because after leaving the CRC to do its job for a few minutes, I reconnected the battery and tried the switch and it works like a new one.

Mate, Thanks for your input, really appreciated.

Chippitydip
Old 09-07-2005, 06:24 PM   #5
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

good stuff

Invoice is in the mail!

:1syellow1 :1syellow1 :Up_to_som :1syellow1 :1syellow1
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 10:50 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippitydip
Hi JCXR8, I did what you said, eventually got the barrel out (the easy part)which was free and turned easy, so I thought what the hell and squirted a bit of CRC into the bowels of the ignition switch and at the same time lightly tapping the outside of the switch where the electrical contacts are housed.

Guess what, I must have loosened something up because after leaving the CRC to do its job for a few minutes, I reconnected the battery and tried the switch and it works like a new one.

Mate, Thanks for your input, really appreciated.

Chippitydip
No worries - Lucky guess on my part! Oh, just ignore Laminge cos it's MY invoice that's in the mail. LOL.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 09-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

JC you are a handy bloke to have on the forum.

Keep up the great work, helping people out and sharing your knowledge. I wish you lived close to me LOL!
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 03:28 AM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Futura Wagon
JC you are a handy bloke to have on the forum.

Keep up the great work, helping people out and sharing your knowledge. I wish you lived close to me LOL!
You haven't seen the size of the invoice yet! LOL. The beauty of the internet is that you don't have to live close. Gold Coast, Canberra, Melbourne - all just a few seconds away on the keyboard!

Old 10-07-2005, 10:09 AM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
You haven't seen the size of the invoice yet! LOL. The beauty of the internet is that you don't have to live close. Gold Coast, Canberra, Melbourne - all just a few seconds away on the keyboard!
Very true,

By the way, check out my Smartlock Thread, you came up with the answer to that one as well! LOL

Bless you.
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2005, 10:18 AM   #10
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
No worries - Lucky guess on my part! Oh, just ignore Laminge cos it's MY invoice that's in the mail. LOL.

Hey mate, please send your invoice you deserve to. Once received, I will put it to good use with all the others that I have accumulated which I use for fire starters for my wood stove. :
Old 11-07-2005, 11:18 PM   #11
chippa6
Novice Professional

You can have all of mine too !!!! we'll have a bonfire next weekend - with all of of steve's from the nissan !!! :