Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-07-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default XR6 Dash Upgrade?

I love the look of the XR6 dash over the standard Futura one.

Anyone made the switch? How hard would it be? A do it yourself job or off to the ripoff dept at Ford? Any idea on cost? Potential snags?

Cheers

Last edited by GK; 02-07-2005 at 08:23 PM.
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 11:24 AM   #2
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Its harder than you think.

But it can be done : )

The AUI and AUII have different connectors and wiring and so on but this can be patched up and the basic sensors will all work.

I did it with my Fairmont dash by just using the XR6 backing panel which worked a treat but the speedo reads fast! 220=240 now of course.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 06:37 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Its harder than you think.

But it can be done : )

The AUI and AUII have different connectors and wiring and so on but this can be patched up and the basic sensors will all work.

I did it with my Fairmont dash by just using the XR6 backing panel which worked a treat but the speedo reads fast! 220=240 now of course.
Thanks for the info. Why the difference in speed? Is it to do with the callibration for 15 to 16 inch wheels or something like that?

Cheers.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:48 PM   #4
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is because the High spec dash's go up to 240km/h, where as the low spec one's only go up to 220km/h.

I have gone from a low series one to a XR dash. My local mechanic/friend, made up his own wiring loom, and hooked it all up. Works perfectly, and it looks and feels much sportier, with the extra guages as well.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:54 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
It is because the High spec dash's go up to 240km/h, where as the low spec one's only go up to 220km/h.

I have gone from a low series one to a XR dash. My local mechanic/friend, made up his own wiring loom, and hooked it all up. Works perfectly, and it looks and feels much sportier, with the extra guages as well.
LG,

You have a good mate there! Hang on to him!I bet it looks a treat too.

How long did it take to do? How much did the dash cost you? Where did you get it? Have you noticed any speedo issues eg, too fast or slow?

Cheers
Old 03-07-2005, 07:08 PM   #6
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Futura Wagon
LG,

You have a good mate there! Hang on to him!I bet it looks a treat too.

How long did it take to do? How much did the dash cost you? Where did you get it? Have you noticed any speedo issues eg, too fast or slow?

Cheers
Speed is fine. I brought my XR6 Dash (Blue) from a wreckers, for $250. My mechanic then sent it off to Voodoo, too replace the eprom and reset and configure the dash to the correct odo. Voodoo, then replaced the LCD screen, as they thought it was faulty. What voodoo charged, was the costly bit. They charged around $250, to do that. And mechanic spent about 1/2 a day, making up their own loom for it, and changing it over etc.

It was definately worth it.

I have some information/data about the pin outs about it...

But here are the basic changes that need to be made, to the plug, to accomodate to the XR6 dash.

Quote:
1. The Park Lamp Dial (+ Positive) Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 13 to Pin 2.
2. The Dial Negative Dimmer Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 21 to Pin 3.
3. The ABS Warning Lamp Wire needs to be moved from Pin 8 to Pin 23
4. The R.H. Side Indicator wire needs to be moved from Pin 19 to Pin 26
Other things you may need are:
- Oil Pressure Sender
- Windscreen Washer Sensor

The dash will still work without changing/adding those things. Except the oil will just register has either an on or off type state. This is because there is a Oil Pressure Switch there. I found that my AUIII already had a Sender there stock, so my guess is that AUII + even stock fortes/futuras got the sender.

Heres some more information: http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=4
Old 03-07-2005, 08:29 PM   #7
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Dam I just dropped my dash today and now think I need a new one. I thought when you stuck in a new AU dash it reset the km's to what you had on your car. If not that is a big expensive issue :( Things are not looking good.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:50 PM   #8
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remember the ~$250 including a new lcd and some other little things.

The kms are kept within the eprom, within the cluster, it is not part of the ECU or the BEM of the car.

You may be able to just change over your eprom from your existing dash to your new dash, but i'm not too sure how to do that. Voodoo, just put in a brand new one, and re-programmed it. My guess would be about $100 for that.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:35 AM   #9
GK
Walking with God

LG,

That is excellent info you've provided. I copied it to a word document for storage for reference later on if needed. The link you provided was also excellent.

Many thanks.

George
Old 04-07-2005, 10:42 AM   #10
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Thanks LG that info is great.

My brother actually works for ford so I should be able to get a new dash cheap. He said he could probably get my fixed under warranty but now im thinking the xr6 dash is the way to go anyway.

I checked on the parts database and found;
TAU2 10849 A INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, XR, LESS POLICE PACK $431.00
TAU2 10849 B INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, XR, WITH POLICE PACK $435.00
TAU2 10849 F INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, (TE50 OR TS50 OR TL50) $589.00

Now im wondering is the police pack the exact same but just with the 2km increases and the ability to alter the speedo to suit larger wheels? Im wondering though if the backing on the dash will be a different colour on the police one or is there any features you lose by having the cop dash. Also is it harder to wire in? For the $4 police sounds the way to go.

The te50 im wondering what extra it has for all that money? I doubt id get one as its getting too expensive unless it has an awsome feature the xr one is missing.

Also on the fordmods page im assuming wiring for an au1 cluster is the exact same as a au2/3 ?
Old 04-07-2005, 11:10 AM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

AU1 wiring varies from AU2. AU2 has a lot more to it from what i know, so instructions for AU1 clusters wont be of much use to you.

Police Pack XR dashes just have digital speedo as the difference from normal XR dashes I think, anybody confirm this?

T Series dashes are white faced and I think they may also have the gear indicator for the paddle shift in the LCD screen.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #12
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

When you mean a digital speedo how does that work? I mean so there is no needle anymore just a digital readout?

I just read the ford mods article 'AUII/III series have entirely different wiring when compared to the AUI Models'

So do you think the mod would still be possible/feasible?
Old 04-07-2005, 07:13 PM   #13
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

b2tf, is right, AU1 dashs are different to AU2/3. Better to get a AUII/III XR Dash, but will be even harder probably to wire into an AUI.

As far as i know. The difference between the XR police dashes are that they have 2km/h increments. And they are black, with no Tickford Wings on the backing (According to JC's XR8).

T-Series 1, had a White Dash backing with Blue Globes behind it, with the Tickford wings.

The XR 2/3, we're blue, and had the Tickford wings on it. The XR dash's also tell you what gear you are in. Whereas the standard falcon/futura ones do not.

Fairmont/Fairlane, were like the XR Cop ones, except didn't have the 2km/h increments.

Cheers
Old 05-07-2005, 01:06 PM   #14
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pics, pics and more pics plzzzzzzzzz
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 07:37 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
AU1 wiring varies from AU2. AU2 has a lot more to it from what i know, so instructions for AU1 clusters wont be of much use to you.

Police Pack XR dashes just have digital speedo as the difference from normal XR dashes I think, anybody confirm this?

T Series dashes are white faced and I think they may also have the gear indicator for the paddle shift in the LCD screen.
XR also has gear indicator in the LCD display not that i have to worry cause mines not an auto :
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post