Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-06-2005, 12:08 PM   #1
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

Default Anyone had this sound from their AU?

I'm still trying to get used to all the sounds coming from my AU, but anyone know what this could be?

When I turn the wheel it sounds like there's a rubbing sound coming out of the steering column. I can feel a very very slight resistance in the steer, that almost feels plastic rubbing on something. It happens when I turn the wheel left or right at about the 70 degrees from centre mark.

Could just be the metal contracting in the current cold weather but if anyone's had this I'd be interested to hear.

Last edited by Axle-F; 30-06-2005 at 12:28 PM.
Axle-F is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 12:34 PM   #2
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not like a throbbing is it? I've seen this (to a lesser extent each time) on my EA, EL and now AU when turning the wheel hard at low speeds.
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 12:49 PM   #3
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

how do you mean throbbing? i'd kinda describe it closer to a creaking sound/feeling i reckon. what ended up being the problem when u had it on the other cars?
Old 30-06-2005, 01:14 PM   #4
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, sounds like whatever you are hearing is different... what I was trying to describe would probably be some sort of hydraulic throb as the power steering system has to work hard. I asked a tech about it once and he said it's a "normal" "problem" (ie it's just mildly irritating the first few times you hear it, but it's not going to cause any long term issues)

In the EA it was like the whole frame shuddered, in the AU it's just a bit of steering wheel vibration. Hardly audible or noticeable.
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

It could be what they call the "clock spring" installed in the steering wheel centre. Ford have to take it off and re-assemble it to get rid of the noise because it's related to the air bag or something. I had the same problem on mine but it occured when you approached full lock in a left turn. A rubbing sound and resistance felt.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 08:15 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I get it regularly at low speed ... also heard it's a common issue ... there was a recall on the AUI's ... but mine's an AUII ... it's kinda sounds like the power-steer fluid is low ... but only does it at certain points in the turning circle though .... doesn't do it everytime though.

I get used to it though ... not sure if there is a fix for it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 03:12 AM   #7
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

What road surface does it happen on?
Old 01-07-2005, 09:00 AM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Smooth road ... usually when doing 3-point turns I find in mine ... or in car parks negotiating tight slow turns ... but only as I turn the steering wheel .. not on lock.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 12:37 PM   #9
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Yeah I find if it's a carpark with concrete or dead flat road surface it happens. That's all I can put it down to, really. Still plenty of power steering fluid, I don't think it's that. If it's making that sort of sound negotiating a roundabout then I'd be concerned.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:34 AM   #10
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

When they tried to fix it, they said the power steering fluid was the wrong type but the sound was still there afterwards. After Ford took apart the steering wheel and re-assembled the thing and fixed the clock spring, the sound was gone.

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 04-07-2005, 08:51 PM   #11
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I have the same noise at low speeds and turning the wheel. Dauphin how much didi it cost you for ford to fix the problem or was it under warrenty because mine isnot.
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 12:14 AM   #12
T-rent
T-Rent-AU2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
I have the same noise at low speeds and turning the wheel. Dauphin how much didi it cost you for ford to fix the problem or was it under warrenty because mine isnot.
Yes would be interesting to see... Have this problem also, I thought my pump may be dieing, but now hope is back in the air again!!!

P-plater
T-rent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 09:56 AM   #13
Dauphin
Irregular member

I don't know because it was part of an insurance job. If it's something to do with the air bag then it might be costly?

Old 10-07-2005, 10:22 PM   #14
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

well my problem has just escalated.

now in addition to the rubbing sound there is a very disconcerting clunking sound coming from the front right area of the engine bay as well.

since i'm pretty retarded when trying to fix mechanical stuff myself looks like its off the shop on tuesday to get her looked at.

will report back with what comes up (god i hope its not a $400 part!)
Old 11-07-2005, 11:26 AM   #15
Dauphin
Irregular member

Sorry to hear that. First thing that comes to mind is a shock gone on the suspension. Good luck!