Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-05-2016, 11:43 PM   #61
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Thousands of Aussie Ford owners could take part in class action over ‘defective automatic gearboxes’

They were saying on the radio this evening that the PS tranny only saved .1L/100 over a conventional one.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-05-2016, 12:37 AM   #62
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
They were saying on the radio this evening that the PS tranny only saved .1L/100 over a conventional one.

Who is they?
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2016, 01:11 AM   #63
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Thousands of Aussie Ford owners could take part in class action over ‘defective automatic gearboxes’

2Gb. Around 5.30ish. Turned on half way through the interview. I think they were speaking to a motoring commentator.

Actually...

http://www.2gb.com/article/ross-gree...ls-car-airbags

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2016, 07:22 AM   #64
123Cat
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok what is proven

Dry clutches are proven and reliable

Manual gearboxes are reliable

Where this design suffers is using small electric motors with gear trains to do the shifting

Linear electric motors ( no gear train ) will do it , but they are too expensive to put in a gearbox just now
Old 19-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #65
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

All the DSGs in your regular commuter cars are crap, I had a 2007 Audi TT in my workshop a few weeks ago just for a power window problem, but I had to drive it back from a customers house.

At low speeds in first gear it starts jerking around, like its getting on and off the clutch.

I don't think DSG is ready yet to be used in low cost commuter cars yet, leave it to the exotics where they can use higher quality variants.

People have asked me advice on ehat new cars to buy, I keep telling people Mazda 2/3 if they want an auto small car.

6sp slushbox, reliable and it works.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #66
123Cat
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Ford Getrag box has no torque converter or oil pump , so its 9% more

efficient than a normal auto

Getrag can make it work , they have over 12,000 employees
Old 19-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #67
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
2Gb. Around 5.30ish. Turned on half way through the interview. I think they were speaking to a motoring commentator.

Actually...

http://www.2gb.com/article/ross-gree...ls-car-airbags

I wouldn't take anything a motoring journo says as gospel. They wouldn't even know how to open the bonnet.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2016, 02:24 PM   #68
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Was this trans also fitted in Volvo C30s with the 2.0L ford engine? I drove one about six months ago and I swear it was not like a conventional automatic. I've driven MANY VW/Audi DSGs and this Volvo trans was a lot worse than them.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #69
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Vw box is getrag. The ford Borg Warner.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2016, 07:58 PM   #70
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post

Fords DPS6 trans being discussed here is Getrag.
Old 19-05-2016, 10:08 PM   #71
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post
No its from getrag.
Old 20-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #72
123Cat
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So its a manual santana

That is shifted by model plane motors , except they are not dc Synchronous brushless they are AC synchronus brushless
Not much difference

Its the way of the future , except its sloppy with those motors , like I said when they get linear motors in

like they have in fancy machining centres and EDM wirecutters

It will start to work
Old 20-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #73
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
You have to wonder if this is a result of the global financial crisis , car company's suddenly go into panic mode ....we have be innovative and maybe cut some costs at the same time ,
im thinking proper long term car/product testing may have been sacrificed by the bean counters .
if quality testing was done surely this would not be an issue today .
Umm well Ford bean counters have been at that for as long as Ford Australia has made cars here. Its just now they might be made to stop, because the cost of being sued, outweighs the cost of telling customers to basically stuff off with their complaints or buy the next model where they may have fixed it.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #74
axe

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/rea...b9f4dbb30f7fb9

Saw this article this morning.

XF Ute, ED XR6 sedan, AUII sedan, BF XR6 sedan, FG XR6T sedan

Now

Ford FGX XR6 Sprint, FG MkII XT EcoLPI
axe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2016, 09:38 AM   #75
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I've only been a passenger in a powershift Focus and I thought on take off it was really slow to respond and jerky before it actually went.
Old 29-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #76
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope there deny deny deny policy really bites them in the ***.
Old 29-06-2016, 02:10 PM   #77
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reading about it today, a lot of people being told it's how they're driving. I'd get that in a manual, but an auto?

The other day I was thinking, if the dealers keep telling people "they all do that" whenever there's problems, surely they're knowingly selling defective vehicles and there must be another class action in that.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #78
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe View Post
From the article above, statements like this one from Ford are wearing pretty thin.

Quote:
“While we cannot comment on ongoing litigation we encourage customers to work with their local dealers on their individual circumstances.”
Repairs to the current transmission configurations by the dealers do not solve the situation.

Caused by faulty design, the problems will manifest until Ford introduces a reliable modification to existing transmissions, or replace them with new configuration transmissions that permanently solve the problems.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #79
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what will be fords plan of attack ?
buy the cars back wear the cost and hope for a bit of good will (i`m thinking it might be past that stage ) , and send the said effected cars of to the crusher and start again .

Or send in an army of loyers to argue and delay the case for as many years as possible hoping it will be forgotten ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #80
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think Ford will spend more money on lawyers than what it would cost to settle the matter but then again they wouldn't want to set a precedent.

We'll have to hold on to our Focus for now and see how this pans out. The publicity from the class action would have affected values.
Old 29-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #81
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
We'll have to hold on to our Focus for now and see how this pans out. The publicity from the class action would have affected values.
We picked up my wife's new Kuga today.

We probably would have held on to her Focus another 12 months or so but I think that as this thing gains traction they (Focus) will become worth less and less. Hopefully I'm wrong, there's a lot of them about.

Going for a drive up to Caloundra in the new car after dinner

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #82
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wife has one, it is a piece of snot, been back many ,many times without a result......going in again Tuesday for another look and possible "update".....Ford has simply been denying the problem since new.

this thing hesitates, will not drop back a gear after an initial part stop, vibrates like buggery and speeds up unexpectedly as well as rough as guts gear changing.

Ford has been in contact with her and extended the warranty.....she will be getting rid of it shortly......

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #83
polkgs
Vixen GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe View Post
My parents who are eighty have a Fiesta that exhibits exactly what this article mentions. My Dad had to put up a bit of a fight to get the car looked at properly after being told first time around that there wasn't an issue. I mention their age because at eighty they have found this quite stressful. A week or so ago Ford re-looked at it and long story short, it seems to have been fixed - for now at least. Doesn't matter as they traded it in for a Corolla today as all faith in the car has been lost. Dad has wanted to get rid of the car for a while but ethically would not do it until he felt the car was fixed as he didn't want, by proxy, to endanger anyone else. Can Ford look themselves in the mirror and feel they have responded with similar ethics.....
polkgs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2016, 09:54 PM   #84
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Just refund their money Ford! It's not like a massive global car company is going to go broke by giving refunds.....or swapping them for a new model. Would certainly get the sales figures up. Geez some companies are so short sighted. It's the equivalent of a millionaire trying to get $5 discount on a cheap suit.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #85
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkgs View Post
Can Ford look themselves in the mirror and feel they have responded with similar ethics.....
Lol they could not care less. Sad but true.

FFS this was an opportunity for Ford to do the right thing and rebuild its brand....but no....
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #86
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

It would be interesting to see if the auto could be changed to the non powers#!t one thats in the 2016. Mother in laws Focus has the problem. Been back multiple times. Unfortunately she cant afford to get rid of it (bought it new). Something like this really needs to send a message to the car manufacturers as it its not something small but the actual powertrain is a problem....not something like your phone wont connect to the bluetooth in the car.
Old 30-06-2016, 02:37 AM   #87
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
I don't think Ford will spend more money on lawyers than what it would cost to settle the matter but then again they wouldn't want to set a precedent.

i was thinking the same about the precedent thing , looking at it from the car makers point of view , if they went down the road of buying them all back for what is a warranty claim (albeit a very bad one ) , you could see some people down the track trying their hand for a new car over a defective radiator cap .

By the same token , bugger the precedent , ford should do the right thing by their customers that in good faith spent a lot of coin to buy a new trouble free car to replace their old one end of story.
Old 30-06-2016, 02:49 AM   #88
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
It would be interesting to see if the auto could be changed to the non powers#!t one thats in the 2016. Mother in laws Focus has the problem. Been back multiple times. Unfortunately she cant afford to get rid of it (bought it new). Something like this really needs to send a message to the car manufacturers as it its not something small but the actual powertrain is a problem....not something like your phone wont connect to the bluetooth in the car.
you and i could do a back yarder like that , and im thinking for a motor company it may not be that hard , but surely that would involve testing and certification all over again and a lot of mucking around , adding warranty all over again , i couldnt see ford doing it and would the motoring public want to purchase one of the revamped models ???
i couldnt see it somehow.
Old 30-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #89
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The same theory most manufacturers work on - i.e. most people don't know/care what's under the bonnet - works in the reverse in these cases.

Most people will just see Focus/Fiesta and think they are all the same defective junk regardless of what mechanical changes they make to them. Getting rid of the PowerShift won't mean anything as it was sold as an "automatic" anyway .. any automatic (and probably manual) Focus/Fiesta will be seen as the same thing.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2016, 09:20 AM   #90
axe

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/rea...7e51fec33b8223

Well that's going a bit far isn't it? Who in their right mind would sign something like that when trading a car in?

XF Ute, ED XR6 sedan, AUII sedan, BF XR6 sedan, FG XR6T sedan

Now

Ford FGX XR6 Sprint, FG MkII XT EcoLPI
axe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post