Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Default AFF Coffee Thread

So most of us drink coffee, I only drink iced coffee (long story but I don't drink hot drinks or soups of any kind) I also do not use sugar in coffee. Whilst I only drink iced coffee, I love the smell of different blends, I love making it etc.

So I thought why not put up a thread where we can discuss coffee, blends, machines etc.

For years I have done coffee using a stovetop maker (little kettle type thing that forces the water up throught the basket) and got tired of it. My partner wanted a coffee machine, but wanted one that work was selling for $800 (I don't pay that) but I convinced her to buy one that cost me $92 instead and try it and then decide. Well we did and it is just a little sunbeam picollo EM2800 or something like that. Yep it is a basic little machine, but it still does better coffee than the stove. I am the one who makes all the coffee which I knew would be the case, but I love making it. I have mastered the use of the steam wand and get good smooth froth, not soapy froth, everytime etc. I can see myself upgrading soon. I don't own a roaster or grinder, I just got a batch of coffee from the freo markets which I love. This roast is choc macadamia and I also have creme brulee. These are ones my partner like, she refuses to let me try the jack daniels variety they have.

Anyway just thought it be an idea to talk what most of us probably drink everyday etc.

Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AFF Coffee Thread

I "inherited" my sisters coffee machine when she moved to Brisbane. Have since found my 2 favourite cafes both use Di Lorenzo beans, so I picked up a bag for home. Love making a coffee after a long ride, also love my morning coffees at work..

God now I want a coffee haha.
Old 23-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome to the fold my friend

My machine is the first one I have had, it was a gift from my parents back when a Brevell 10bar job cost a few hundred and its been a loyal servant

I also have a stand alone grinder and buy beans buy the Kg

Personal advice is forget the Vatoria and Lavatsa and explore what the world can offer

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I enjoy a good coffee, but because i lift and trying to cut down body fat % i have stopped buying cafe coffees. I drink moccona 'dark roast' coffee at home and have cut out dairy milk and using almond milk. Strengthens the coffee taste.

I try and drink green tea too. There is a T2 green tea with tropical flavour and freeze dried strawberry pieces in it which is awesome.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys View Post
I enjoy a good coffee, but because i lift and trying to cut down body fat % i have stopped buying cafe coffees. I drink moccona 'dark roast' coffee at home and have cut out dairy milk and using almond milk. Strengthens the coffee taste.

I try and drink green tea too. There is a T2 green tea with tropical flavour and freeze dried strawberry pieces in it which is awesome.
You my friend need a good espresso (short black)

Or even a stove top like spudds talked about makes a fantastic black coffee

Old 23-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I just made an iced coffee using the choc macadamia I just got and it was terrible. It was like drinking international roast but without being grey lol. It was so bitter on the end, I used my double basket and only poured 2 shots. So I did a single shot instead and it still had the biterness only not as bad. I think maybe these beans were old before grinding. Have to just experiment now and maybe do 3/4 shots. See what my creme brulee beans is like.
Old 23-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a big wide wonderful expreance,

It's some what of a ritual for me my wife bitches about the smell off coffee so it's set up in the shed, I go out there make a nice coffee, friends drop round for coffee all the time, we talk **** play with cars and they can still drive home

At first I buy small portions (250g) it's more expensive that way but cheaper than buying an entire kg

3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh! yeah, thanks guys, way to make me look like a neanderthal.......I've been a back woods "instant" for life.

I drink waaayy too many, probably 8 - 10 a day!.

good thread spudz! well done.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
adrianb

I have a Nespresso machine at home for simplicity and convenience.

Lucky enough to work in the Melbourne CBD and absolutely love some of the great coffees I can get from coffee shops in the city with beans from local roasters. My favourite coffees come from these roasters:

- Market Lane
- St Ali
- Social Roasting Company
- Proud Mary
- Seven Seeds

I've always had a soft spot for Illy coffee too but there's been a huge swing towards quality local roasters and fresher beans.
Old 23-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
oh! yeah, thanks guys, way to make me look like a neanderthal.......I've been a back woods "instant" for life.

I drink waaayy too many, probably 8 - 10 a day!.

good thread spudz! well done.
I was the same when I was drinking instant, I don't know why but I guzzled the stuff, but when I switched I found I was having 2 maybe 3 or 4 if some one pops over

Old 23-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
I was the same when I was drinking instant, I don't know why but I guzzled the stuff, but when I switched I found I was having 2 maybe 3 or 4 if some one pops over
That is because it takes more effort and time to make them using a machine. Subconciously most of us cbf to use a machine all day. Where as boiling a kettle and mixing in a spoon or two of coffee takes no effort at all. Plus after having espresso made coffee, instant is never the same again.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Na that doesn't bother me in fact I really enjoy it

We have nesspresso at work, I haven't found a pod I really like yet but that's another story

But again I don't drink any wear near as much of that as I do if instant is all that's available

Old 23-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a built in, miele , complete all in one unit and just love it wish I got the top unit that has its own drain and water so I don't have to empty the excess or top up the water pot

but need to start looking at trying different types of beans have only tried three types so far

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

i like plunger coffee, my partner cannot understand why I am happy to pay for a "proper" coffee (made by someone else) when there is instant coffee in the cupboard.

I would only drink one per day usually, more a tea drinker but love a good coffee.

try mackellar range or zeta's both 100% australian

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HMMM Coffee I love the stuff...

It is like most things plenty of bad ones around.....but when you find a barrista that know what he is doing...

Being in the building game I'm usually based on a project for 6 to 12 to sometimes 24 months. I usually go for a hunt and find my cafe bar, the one that knows what he is doing, the one that usually only does one thing...make coffee...

Smooth creamy, not too hot, not too cold, not bitter but has bite...

I have requested it be remade on some occasions....happy to pay....but don't charge $4.50 if you have no f'ing idea on what you are doing....
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #16
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Just made myself and the boss a coffee (I had iced lol) using the Creme Brulee roast I have. It was delicous, I changed my method a bit and did not pour for as long and did not use as much so it was packed, but not squashed in, it smelt like Creme Brulee and had a beautiful caramel note. Hopefully it was my techinique this morning and the Choc macadamia turns out to be just as nice.
Old 23-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #17
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Aaaahhhh Coffee on a Ford forum.

I work with the stuff all day ( Coffee machine technician).

Its a good trade but everyone has an opinion and a theory on the perfect cup and yet not to many know how to make the perfect cup. You would be surprised at the number of so called baristas or experts that havent got a clue.

All that said, coffee is a personal experience and what one person likes another doesnt.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #18
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Everyone on the net is an expert lol. I went on a coffee forum and the attitude towards those who buy cheap machines was pretty poor. I am one of those with a cheap unit lol. I will just learn myself by experimenting. Like tonight, our coffee tasted and smelt like it should have, just because I changed my method a bit. As with the wand, after 2ltrs of milk I managed to get my technique right to be able to create smooth creamy milk on a machine most people seem to write off as cheap and nasty. I am just excited lol.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #19
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27 View Post
Everyone on the net is an expert lol. I went on a coffee forum and the attitude towards those who buy cheap machines was pretty poor. I am one of those with a cheap unit lol. I will just learn myself by experimenting. Like tonight, our coffee tasted and smelt like it should have, just because I changed my method a bit. As with the wand, after 2ltrs of milk I managed to get my technique right to be able to create smooth creamy milk on a machine most people seem to write off as cheap and nasty. I am just excited lol.
I had a cheap sunbeam machine to start with and it was ok but crapped itself after a year. I ended up buying a $800 breville unit with an adjustable grinder and proper group head.

The problem with the cheaper home units, and the dearer ones for that matter, is thermoblocks scale up ( the part that heats the water). They need to be descaled regularly to maintain good water flow. This can be done simply by running a cup of white vinegar through them and then flushing them thoroughly.

Couple of key tips:

1) A coffee shot shoould not exceed 30ml. This 30 ml should be despensed within 26-30 seconds max.

2) They pour should come out and form a "rats tail" as it leaves the handle. This shows you have the correct grind, dose and head pressure.

3) Equipment should be cleaned daily, if high use, or at least weekly for low use. This includes all handles, heads and grinders.

4) Steam wands should be purged and cleaned immediately after use.

5) Coffee grounds go stale within 30 mintes of being ground.

6) never store beans in the fridge or freezer.

7) Allow beans to breathe via the valve on the bag to release the CO2. Otherwise they go bitter and smell.

8) Never buy beans from the supermarket. They are usually stale before they hit the shelf.

9) By fresh roast beans, usually within a week of roast day. HOWEVER, if you have a low end machine it may not cope with them.

10) Your pour "speed" is governed by how fine your grind is and how much grind you have in the basket. Usually you want 14grams of grind for a double basket.

11) Steaming milk successfully is an art. use a thermometer and dont exceed 80 degrees celcius. Remeber heating it as quick as you can doesnt make a good froth. Swirling the milk as you go to aerate it creates a creamier foam.

Some of my favourite beans include

Di Bella Moderna
Amanti Golden Mokka
Di Bella Sapore Dolce
and a local Adelaide company Ricci.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
6 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #20
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Your point about the milk is exactly my method now. I swirl as I steam and I stop frothing it as soon as the jug is too hot to touch.

I get my coffee from perth (400km away) and don't have a grinder so pretty sure what I think is good now, will be crap compared to grinding my own beans as needed.

My cheaper machine obviously pours too quick or, I don't pack tight enough. I get a nice creamy stream. But my shot is usually done in about 15 seconds.
Old 24-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #21
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah you probably need a finer grind.

Stream should be a golden caramel colour to start with then fades off to white.

This signifies the end of the extraction as far as there is no more oil to decant from the beans.

You can pick up small grinders fairly cheap now. They are a good investment if you like experimenting with coffee!

Its a great feeling when you get the pour right.

I know it hits the spot for me when the hair on the back of my neck stands up!

Thats the only time i drink a ristretto or espresso shot neat!

If your interested try ordering some beans from here. Its definately worth it!

http://dibellacoffee.com.au/buy-onli....nTM7alKc.dpbs

Course you would need to get it ground for you!
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #22
cupic
Nikon

Im a stove top cooker and I have found that a supplier from Enmore Coffee is King

http://www.cylex.com.au/reviews/view...anyId=14839776

I dont work for them Im just a a happy customer

cheers
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #23
Spudz27
Call me Spud

We have a local roaster here and my sister who lives in perth asks me to get their stuff all the time, yet apart from their espresso, I can't find a variety I like. I love the smell when they are roasting. How fine can I get it ground? I asked the place in perth for their fine grind and the place here I ask for espresso grind.

Thanks for the tip on the white. I must admit I was still pouring untill it stopped being a stream, except for the two I did tonight where I poured for less time and did not pack as tight. My partner was my guinea pig and she is now regretting it lol. I must also admit that I must have done something right as in 20yrs I have refused to drink hot drinks and when attempting always spit out and say no way. Tonight I tried both the coffee's I made the boss and found myself contemplating actually having a coffee not just iced coffee.

I get my coffee from www.coffeeconnection.com.au or www.thenakedbean.com.au

The latter is my local roaster.
Old 24-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #24
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I'm an instant coffee user... usually no more than 2 cups a day (even though I have a wickedly good coffee shop next door to work!)

A colleague at work did a barrister course, and I must have listened to some of her rantings, because last time I visited my parents with my partner, and we were offered coffee, she accepted only if I made it for her.

My rules now are, after the jug boils, let it cool for at least a minute before pouring... it doesn't burn the coffee, even with instant (Moccona).

That request made my manhood expand, because I have the coffee secret!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2013, 01:50 AM   #25
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Manual coffee machine user here.

I prefer the manual machine because I can control the level of coffee strength to use in the basket and also got a good technique of milk frothing going on too.

The machine I use at work is a cheap breville at the moment which has helped me to learn. I use beans from www.coffeeworks.com.au in far north Queensland who have a large variety of bean flavors and roasting techniques.

I am in the process of looking for another manual machine for home soon.

The bean grinder I use is a burr grinder, not a blade grinder. The burr grinder is able to finely grind the bean to allow the natural oils to be released better during the brewing process and therefore providing a better, stronger flavor.

Ive tried the stove top kettle, plunger types, instant, premixes, pods, you name it. I'll always be a manual coffee creator over auto machines.

My 2c worth.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #26
Kevxr8Leexr6

Inspired by this thread, I thought I would share my coffee porn with you. note the Ford mug , but of course. local roaster, Fish river roasters. great blends and the fresh crema is just divine.
Kevxr8Leexr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #27
Spudz27
Call me Spud

This mornings. My pour is way too fast. This took all of 10secs to reach a shot.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 24-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #28
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sitting here having my 4th for the day (10 o'clock local time).......had a word with an old plumber who just came in, he has a $4,500 machine built in.

apparently it has its own water supply, grinds its own beans, heats its own milk and has a digital readout on all things important.

I dont reckon a machine like that would serve the likes of me.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #29
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

If you can try and tamp the grind down a bit firmer, you will slow the pour down a bit. The key is a slow pour to allow the heat of the water to extract the flavor from the bean enough without burning the brew.

Have a look at the pro's and watch their technique. Yes, the machine has a lot to do with it, but their tamping technique, their frothing technique, and even the way their pour the milk into the cup makes a difference to the appearance and texture of the final product.

When I pour my frothed milk into my cup, I pick the cup up with my left hand, place it on an angle, and sloooowly pour the milk thats in my right hand in so that the milk first hits the side of the cup and slides in before the milk mixes with the coffee shot. Doing this stops any large air bubbles from ruining the look of the head, and allows the foamy crap to stay in the jug and allow the silky smooth frothed texture of the milk underneath that over foamy crap to come out and into your cup. THAT is the stuff you want, not the foamy over aerated garbage.

Also, if you take sugar, sprinkle the sugar in either before of after you coffee shot and try and spread it around the bottom of the cup. The coffee shot will help caramalize the sugar and instead of a clump of sugar laying in the bottom of your cup, you will find when the milk is added, it will mix any remnants of sugar particles left over. It also means you dont have to stir the cup and ruin the appearance of a nice silky smooth milk head on top of the cup with a spoon from stirring.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #30
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I must admit when I remove my tamp it often has a layer of water on top. Only a few times has the tamp been dry when removed. I use a knife when I pour. I put the knife over the jug to allow just enough for the milk to come through and just as it get's to 3/4 full I remove the knife and let the foam pour in.