Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #211
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Falcon EcoBoost: The Fuel Efficiency Australians Need with the Performance They Want

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredByCNG
Personally, I can't believe that Ford aren't promoting EcoLPi. The original release would already provide 1000km (plus change) of highway range from full to empty on an 88L tank (based on 8.5L/100km)
as mentioned, extra urban consumption figures for the ecoLPi are a bit higher than 8.5. likely to be closer to 10. also the 88L tank will never be run dry! most people would fill before it gets empty. no need to risk running that low on a single fuel lpg car. range would be similar to petrol and about $20-40 cheaper to fill, depending on price of lpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute 33
Wow 7 pages on a 4 cylinder Falcon!!!
this is the stuck in the past mentality ford are up against. people skip straight over the 179kw and 353nm bit and focus on the 4cyl bit. if ford released a smaller capacity 6cyl, no one would make these comments.

according to bossxr8, it will get the 6hp21 zf 6 speed. i'm assuming this will be an off the shelf item and the gear ratio's won't be fiddled with by ford. the gear ratio's in the smaller zf are pretty much the same as the current zf. the 6cyl falcon runs a 2.7 diff, but i would guess the ecoboost will run a 3.08 or higher, similar to AU or BA. this means it should drive pretty much the same as the current falcon in day to day commuting. on paper that is.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #212
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: Falcon EcoBoost: The Fuel Efficiency Australians Need with the Performance They Want

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
I'm confused...

Confused about the target market for the EcoBoost 4cyl Falcon.
Confused about where the EcoBoost 4cyl engine will be manufactured.
Confused about the benefits when compared to the existing FG 2011/12 range.

Why I am confused about is that the marketing is about fuel consumption, saving money, and producing less carbon... Right?
ALERT - THIS CONTAINS MATHS AND RANTING
*Calculations below are made up from the following BASE information*Using Average Petrol Price from VIC 2011 = $1.39 per litre
Using Average LPG Price (not official) = $0.60 per litre
Using Average Distance travelled by average Australian = 14,100km

The EcoBoost 4cyl Falcon has combined fuel economy of 8.1l/100km
= 14,100km @ 8.1lt per 100km = 1142.1lt of petrol.
= 1142.1lt Petrol x $1.39lt = $1587.50

The Inline 6cyl Falcon XT has combined fuel economy of 9.9l/100km
= 14,100km @ 9.9lt per 100km = 1395.9lt of petrol
= 1395.9lt Petrol x $1.39lt = $1940.30

The Inline 6cyl Falcon XT EcoLPi has a combined fuel economy of 12.3l/100km
= 14,100km @ 12.3lt per 100km = 1734.3lt of LPG
= 1734.3 LPG x $0.60lt = $1040.58

Are you following so far??

EcoBoost = $1587.50 to fuel
6cyl Petrol = $1940.30 to fuel
6cyl LPG = $1040.58 to fuel

$350 saving per year to have a 4cyl Falcon...
OR
$900 saving per year to have a 6cl Falcon on gas...

Also note...
The Petrol 6cyl Falcon emmissions are 236g/km
The EcoBoost 4cyl Falcon emmissions are 201g/km
The LPG 6cyl Falcon emmissions are 199g/km

Anyone see where I'm going???

I understand that different driving conditions, uses, etc etc will change the figures, but that is why I'm using the same base to compare them...

Back to the confusion...

If the whole idea is to save money on fuel - the LPG car is better
If the whole idea is to reduce Carbon emmissions - the LPG is already there

If there was ever a case to keep making the Inline 6cyl here in Australia, here it is!!!

I know that the EcoBoost is a Global concept... but keeping local manufacturing is pretty important too...

Am I making any sense???
SUPERB post!

Now u know why i am on my 5th LPG powered vehicle, i have saved $10's of thousands on fuel

My next vehicle will be LPG, unless i can get a fill at home NGV?

The ONLY thing that can touch it is hybrids, but they dont have Falcon Hybrids os LPG it is.
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #213
RASER
Banned

Default Re: Falcon EcoBoost: The Fuel Efficiency Australians Need with the Performance They Want

What about a EcoRooster on LPG?

ECOLPI4?
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #214
Jeddak
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[Remember the good old Starfire 4 that GM-H fitted to VH Commodores? Used more fuel and delivered less performance than the 6cyl models did.[/QUOTE]

mmmm.. dont forget that the starfire 4 was not engineered to be more effiecient and better than its doner engine just smaller ,even the lamenatible fiber timing gear was a carry-on with the resultant unannounced failures.
it was a cheap answer to the much more effiecient engines coming from everywhere else,Holden could have sourced a much better engine from within the GM empire ,but no...
one of the very few times that "the Aussie way" bombed.
O5 / 05 SX TS RWD Winter White, Driving Lights, Flaps, Racks, Turbo Grille, Ghia Bumper Trims and tailgate chrome , Colour Coded Mirrors,Tint,h/d towbar and chrome tow ball ,Sy chrome Beltline molds , leather and chrome shifter and Ghia Leather bound steering wheel
Stainless steel number plate frames and shifter quadrant, leather arm rest
All reconditioned SZ front suspension now in place
Chrome door pull inserts with chrome inner latch handles done
Jeddak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #215
THE SLUG
REAL 4X4'S RATTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
I'm confused...

Confused about the target market for the EcoBoost 4cyl Falcon.
Confused about where the EcoBoost 4cyl engine will be manufactured.
Confused about the benefits when compared to the existing FG 2011/12 range.

Why I am confused about is that the marketing is about fuel consumption, saving money, and producing less carbon... Right?
ALERT - THIS CONTAINS MATHS AND RANTING
*Calculations below are made up from the following BASE information*Using Average Petrol Price from VIC 2011 = $1.39 per litre
Using Average LPG Price (not official) = $0.60 per litre
Using Average Distance travelled by average Australian = 14,100km

The EcoBoost 4cyl Falcon has combined fuel economy of 8.1l/100km
= 14,100km @ 8.1lt per 100km = 1142.1lt of petrol.
= 1142.1lt Petrol x $1.39lt = $1587.50

The Inline 6cyl Falcon XT has combined fuel economy of 9.9l/100km
= 14,100km @ 9.9lt per 100km = 1395.9lt of petrol
= 1395.9lt Petrol x $1.39lt = $1940.30

The Inline 6cyl Falcon XT EcoLPi has a combined fuel economy of 12.3l/100km
= 14,100km @ 12.3lt per 100km = 1734.3lt of LPG
= 1734.3 LPG x $0.60lt = $1040.58

Are you following so far??

EcoBoost = $1587.50 to fuel
6cyl Petrol = $1940.30 to fuel
6cyl LPG = $1040.58 to fuel

$350 saving per year to have a 4cyl Falcon...
OR
$900 saving per year to have a 6cl Falcon on gas...

Also note...
The Petrol 6cyl Falcon emmissions are 236g/km
The EcoBoost 4cyl Falcon emmissions are 201g/km
The LPG 6cyl Falcon emmissions are 199g/km

Anyone see where I'm going???

I understand that different driving conditions, uses, etc etc will change the figures, but that is why I'm using the same base to compare them...

Back to the confusion...

If the whole idea is to save money on fuel - the LPG car is better
If the whole idea is to reduce Carbon emmissions - the LPG is already there

If there was ever a case to keep making the Inline 6cyl here in Australia, here it is!!!

I know that the EcoBoost is a Global concept... but keeping local manufacturing is pretty important too...

Am I making any sense???
This is spot on in my opinion.

I have nothing against the EcoBoost 4, but loftie makes a very good point here. I would have also preferred to see a diesel variant (much better for those who want to tow) than the EcoBoost, or maybe even an LPG powered EcoBoost. This coming from a person who has never owned an LPG powered car..

I just hope that this gets Falcon sales back up again!

THE SLUG - 1985 Toyota 4Runner
2.8L Turbo, 2.5" exhaust, 5" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, lots of stickers

THE DAILY - 2006 BFII XR6T
Process West plenum, intercooler, intake kit, and throttle body relocation, 80lb injectors, 4" dump, twin 2.5" X-Force exhaust, high flow cat, ZF tune, 330rwkw @ 15 psi, 20" staggered MC Racing Simmons copies

THE TOY - 2000 AU Falcon
4.0L, 2.5" straight pipe, T5, BA brakes, spool, stripped out, slammed
THE SLUG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #216
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The savings from using LPG will evaporate once excise rates ramp up.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #217
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde
its only going up 12.5c over 5 years isnt it? will still be much much cheaper than petrol.
and really, ive been hearing the whole 'more excise tax is coming, lpg wont be much cheaper than petrol' since ive been here... its still not here
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #218
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
the 6cyl falcon runs a 2.7 diff, but i would guess the ecoboost will run a 3.08 or higher, similar to AU or BA. this means it should drive pretty much the same as the current falcon in day to day commuting. on paper that is.
EcoBoost and 4.0 I6 gearing is the same.

1st (6-Speed automatic) 4.17 4.17
2nd (6-Speed automatic) 2.34 2.34
3rd (6-Speed automatic) 1.52 1.52
4th (6-Speed automatic) 1.14 1.14
5th (6-Speed automatic) 0.87 0.87
6th (6-Speed automatic) 0.69 0.69
R (6-Speed automatic) 3.40 3.40
Final(6-Speed automatic) 2.73 2.73

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Satel...apper&site=FOA
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #219
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde

It's already ramped up ... and it's still half the cost of E10 anyway.

Over the 5 years that it will increase only 12.5C/L ... ULP will increase so much more than that in the next 5 years.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #220
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Why are people saying EcoLpi wasn't advertised? They had the viral video with the corolla and commodore...showing the falcon was faster, and more efficiant.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #221
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

That was only online though ... not to normal TV.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #222
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
It's already ramped up ... and it's still half the cost of E10 anyway.

Over the 5 years that it will increase only 12.5C/L ... ULP will increase so much more than that in the next 5 years.
One of the recommendations of Henry review was the equalization of fuel excise,
this could be seen as a future strategy and pinned on the need to tax carbon in fuels..

I wouldn't trust a politician's promises beyond the life of their current term, after that all bets are off..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #223
prydey
Rob

apparently if its not on tv, then it doesn't count

seriously, who takes any notice of the ads? thats when you get up to make a drink or get something to eat or toilet break etc etc!!

rarely do i see a corolla ad on tv and yet they seem to sell ok. i don't recall seeing too many mazda3 ads on tv either.

most cricket games this summer have had pretty impressive crowds and there's been ford logos and banners at all of them.

no one spends thousands of dollars based on a tv commercial.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #224
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
That was only online though ... not to normal TV.
we are also in the year 2012 & not 1992!!! A 30 second TV add is not what it use to be & not the only way to advertise!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #225
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
But have you seen either magazine, newspaper or heard radio advertising of EcoLPi.

I sure haven't.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #226
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

seriously, who takes any notice of the ads? thats when you get up to make a drink or get something to eat or toilet break etc etc!!

rarely do i see a corolla ad on tv and yet they seem to sell ok. i don't recall seeing too many mazda3 ads on tv either.

most cricket games this summer have had pretty impressive crowds and there's been ford logos and banners at all of them.

no one spends thousands of dollars based on a tv commercial.
A car purchase is more of an emotional purchase to me, doesn't matter how many reviews you read, once you find something that for some reason you just happen to like, you'll buy it.

Unless you own a business and you won't be driving the car around, for example boss buying a company car, thats when maintenence costs and all that crap is involved.

Perceptions also have a great deal to do with it, also Ford's lack of advertising doesn't help either though, you won't buy it if you don't know about it in the first place, right?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #227
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
its only going up 12.5c over 5 years isnt it? will still be much much cheaper than petrol.
and really, ive been hearing the whole 'more excise tax is coming, lpg wont be much cheaper than petrol' since ive been here... its still not here
That doesn't mean the fuel companies wont put it up higher... just because the government tax it an extra 12.5c a litre doesn't mean the retailer wont put it up 20 cents...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #228
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

True that .... but the majority of people see the ads on TV ... hear it on radio or see it on billboards ... that's where the highest coverage of advertisements are located.

There's been plenty of Corolla and Mazda 3 ads on TV ... considerably more than Ford ... and Holden even more. And guess what ... they sell more than Ford does ... so they must be doing it right.